Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
[q="Tynes"]Submitted for your disapproval:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674826672/knight-raid-b...

- Artwork: very standard anime style, possibly from some stock image archive. Not a problem, but not a selling point either.

I don't know about most of the images but I reckon the Pet Slime is a crop of Pikachu's face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why you'd think that, but no - It's just taking one of Pikachu's facial colour scheme - red cheeks, yellow body - and applying it to a generic 'slime' JRPG monster design and slapping puppy dog eyes on the whole thing.

Pikachu's eyes are more black circles than those... Things... (Also the cheeks are a deeper red on #25 and less pinkish. Different mouth shape, also)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
I can see why you'd think that, but no - It's just taking one of Pikachu's facial colour scheme - red cheeks, yellow body - and applying it to a generic 'slime' JRPG monster design and slapping puppy dog eyes on the whole thing.

Pikachu's eyes are more black circles than those... Things... (Also the cheeks are a deeper red on #25 and less pinkish. Different mouth shape, also)
Gizensha wrote:

I see what you mean about the eyes and cheek colour. Though not a million miles away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
Gizensha wrote:

Gizensha wrote:

I see what you mean about the eyes and cheek colour. Though not a million miles away.

Close enough to remind you of Pikachu, but not close enough for a cease and desist letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The Goldilocks zone of intellectual property appropriation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoodOmens wrote:
The Goldilocks zone of intellectual property appropriation.

I'd say this is 'too warm; clearly a rip off' though not 'boiling; cease and desist incoming. If not a full on lawsuit.'

The Goldilocks zone is stuff like Tunic or Tiny Epic Quest which both come across more as a homage (Specifically to Zelda, in both cases.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
Here's a new one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1410836008/fate-of-the-...

There's a lot of text, and quite a few pictures, on the campaign page, so at first glance, it might look like a decently planned campaign... except at a closer look...

- There's a list of game components, but no actual information about gameplay.

- The game has two gimmicks. Gimmick one: cowrie shells instead of dice. Because according to the presentation video clip, the big problem with games like Monopoly and Catan is that you sometimes depend on die rolls. And their solution is to instead make you depend on shell rolls, because they're kind of assymmetrical and you can with practice learn how to roll them to improve your chances of getting them to roll the way you want. Like real cheat dice!

- Gimmick two: Game of Thrones! With no indication that they've obtained a licence for it. Instead, quote: "All of the Game of Thrones art, references, and or characters used for Fate of the Cowries tabletop game is purely for aesthetic reasons. We do not mean any harm or damage to HBO or Game of Thrones franchise in any manner possible."

- Aside from "no reward", early birds and such, there are three main pledges: Standard, Deluxe and All Inclusive. Quote: "The Deluxe Pledge is one of our favorite and most sought out set [...]". Most sought out by whom, one wonders? Out of their current three backers, two are backing the "All Inclusive", and one is backing the "Standard Early Bird". Incidentally, three is also the number of people who run the campaign. Probably just a coincidence...

- Quote: "This Fate of the Cowries special contains one of the biggest, if not the biggest collection of 3D printed models of Game of Thrones Characters. [...] That is a total of 33 3D printed characters [...]". Well, OK, they both made the disclaimer "one of the biggest" and explicitly specified "3D printed", so they might technically be correct. But if you're looking for a lot of GoT plastic, you should probably have backed the CMON GoT game that was kickstarted a few months ago. It has 103 minis in the core set, plus quite a few more including add-ons and stretch goals. (Oh, wait, CMON's game is still open for late pledges.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
- Gimmick two: Game of Thrones! With no indication that they've obtained a licence for it. Instead, quote: "All of the Game of Thrones art, references, and or characters used for Fate of the Cowries tabletop game is purely for aesthetic reasons. We do not mean any harm or damage to HBO or Game of Thrones franchise in any manner possible."

Yeah, "We don't mean any harm, but we want to make money off your product." is totally going to insulate them from any liability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Canuck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
Some early artwork Im using for the prototype

1) Find image you like and that's totally not free of copyright
2) Load it into Photoshop
3) Choose lame filter
4) ???
5) Profit

Well, that beats the:

1) Use images that are clearly copyrighted for KS campaign,
2) Claim discovery that Chinese factory won't print use of Chairman Mao,
3) Claim discovery that it's very hard to find a printer,
4) Claim error in printing without evidence,
5) Tell backers they can print it themselves at a cost via someone else,
6) Run away with the money never giving refunds.

Shut Your Mao campaign, ladies and gentlemen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
lstensson wrote:
Here's a new one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1410836008/fate-of-the-...

(...)

- Aside from "no reward", early birds and such, there are three main pledges: Standard, Deluxe and All Inclusive. Quote: "The Deluxe Pledge is one of our favorite and most sought out set [...]". Most sought out by whom, one wonders? Out of their current three backers, two are backing the "All Inclusive", and one is backing the "Standard Early Bird".

(...)

Update: they now have 9 backers. But none of them are backing the "Deluxe" pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
lstensson wrote:
[q="Tynes"]Submitted for your disapproval:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674826672/knight-raid-b...

- Artwork: very standard anime style, possibly from some stock image archive. Not a problem, but not a selling point either.

I don't know about most of the images but I reckon the Pet Slime is a crop of Pikachu's face.

All the slimes look like they're pulled directly from the Ragnarok Online MMO and then recolored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hesitated to list this one because I was made aware of it from one of the guys in my game group. Turns out the creator is his ex-brother-in-law.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neddygames/conspiracy-t...

It's a roll-and-move (Surprise!) in the vein of Trivial Pursuit. The game has already been produced and the components are sitting in his garage awaiting assembly. I'm guessing based on how the Kickstarter goes. Delivery time? THIS MONTH. (Exception: Any stretch goals, which will be shipped in March, with no additional shipping charges. Yeah, right.)

So what's the Kickstarter for? Funding additional content, of which he's asking a minimum of $20k to produce minis. He's only at $3k plus right now with 6 days left. Anything less than $20k means the only stretch goals are additional cards.

The reward levels are a mess.

For $15, you can get the game as an early bird (only 90/100 left!).

But wait, for $20, you can get the game without being an early bird. Strangely enough, 4 people chose this option.

For $25, you can get the game *and* the first 5 stretch goals as an early bird (33/50 left). Doesn't look like they're gonna make the stretch goals, so you're giving them an additional $10 for nothing.

For $35, you can get the game *and* the first *3* stretch goals (again, if they make them.) See the problem here?

For $50, you get the game, a T-shirt, and all the stretch goals as an early bird (43/50 left). At this point, that's a $35 T-shirt. It better be pretty damned good.

For $75, you get the game, a T-shirt, and all the stretch goals. Same as the $50 level, but now the T-shirt is $60. 4 PEOPLE HAVE CHOSEN THIS OPTION!

On top of this, he's put QR codes on each of the cards linking to a webpage with more information on the theory listed. If he's not hosting those pages, I'd be inclined to change out the page just to screw with him. If he *is* hosting those, what's the over/under on how long he pays to have the webpage hosting up?

He's made his goal (barely), but I'm betting that as soon as people realize he's not going to make his stretch goals, they'll adjust their pledges down - and, WHOOPS! it's no longer being successfully funded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
We do not mean any harm or damage to HBO or Game of Thrones franchise in any manner possible."

Whenever I rob a bank, I also don't mean any harm to the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thosw wrote:
I hesitated to list this one because I was made aware of it from one of the guys in my game group. Turns out the creator is his ex-brother-in-law.

It's a roll-and-move (Surprise!) in the vein of Trivial Pursuit. The game has already been produced and the components are sitting in his garage awaiting assembly. I'm guessing based on how the Kickstarter goes. Delivery time? THIS MONTH. (Exception: Any stretch goals, which will be shipped in March, with no additional shipping charges. Yeah, right.)

So what's the Kickstarter for? Funding additional content, of which he's asking a minimum of $20k to produce minis. He's only at $3k plus right now with 6 days left. Anything less than $20k means the only stretch goals are additional cards.

But wait, for $20, you can get the game without being an early bird. Strangely enough, 4 people chose this option.

For $25, you can get the game *and* the first 5 stretch goals as an early bird (33/50 left). Doesn't look like they're gonna make the stretch goals, so you're giving them an additional $10 for nothing.

For $35, you can get the game *and* the first *3* stretch goals (again, if they make them.) See the problem here?

For $50, you get the game, a T-shirt, and all the stretch goals as an early bird (43/50 left). At this point, that's a $35 T-shirt. It better be pretty damned good.

For $75, you get the game, a T-shirt, and all the stretch goals. Same as the $50 level, but now the T-shirt is $60. 4 PEOPLE HAVE CHOSEN THIS OPTION!

On top of this, he's put QR codes on each of the cards linking to a webpage with more information on the theory listed. If he's not hosting those pages, I'd be inclined to change out the page just to screw with him. If he *is* hosting those, what's the over/under on how long he pays to have the webpage hosting up?

He's made his goal (barely), but I'm betting that as soon as people realize he's not going to make his stretch goals, they'll adjust their pledges down - and, WHOOPS! it's no longer being successfully funded.

Haha, great breakdown. Dizzying but great. All the same, umm, no offense to your acquaintance's acquaintance. I wish him wellz. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:

But that's the beauty of it, it does not matter if the campaign successfully funds or not, because
Quote:
Neddy Games has already begun production of the Conspiracy Theory Trivia Board Game. We have the first run of games on route and scheduled to be in our warehouse by mid-November,...

Additionally, we have already contracted for the expansion sets with our manufacturer and simply need to complete the designs and specify quantities.

So even an unsuccessful campaign will not keep the game from existing because it already exists.
... wait, aren't campaigns that sell existing things prohibited by Kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:

I see almost half of the backers are first timers. That always makes me suspicious. Though it could be kosher... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:

The sample 'card' with QR code on the KS leads to http://cttg.site/AA1Z.pdf
So it looks like he's hosting this stuff himself. For my own low-traffic domain + hosting, I'm paying around 20$ per year, so if this thing makes its goal, I don't expect hosting going down should be a problem anytime soon. It actually looks like a game I'd enjoy playing once or twice (preferably sufficiently inebriated). The KS is certainly a mess, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thosw wrote:
lstensson wrote:

Yeah, "We don't mean any harm, but we want to make money off your product." is totally going to insulate them from any liability.

I mean, copyright infringement is basically the same thing as plagiarism, right? So all I have to do is cite my sources and re-word a few things, and I'm good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
Stewi wrote:
Thosw wrote:
lstensson wrote:

I mean, copyright infringement is basically the same thing as plagiarism, right? So all I have to do is cite my sources and re-word a few things, and I'm good to go!

And now it's been cancelled, supposedly temporarily:

Quote:
(...) we ran into some unforeseen circumstances. We require some time to work with this situation and we are hopeful that we will relaunch this project soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
There seems to be a lot of them this month: first created, no gameplay description, no components shown (although they do show box art). The game is called Profanity, and is apparently about swearing as much as possible based on cards:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/745255867/profanity-a-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
There seems to be a lot of them this month: first created, no gameplay description, no components shown (although they do show box art). The game is called Profanity, and is apparently about swearing as much as possible based on cards:

At least they chose a good song for their video
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pavone
United States
Saugerties
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why is the White Walker figure red and not white?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
Stewi wrote:
Thosw wrote:
lstensson wrote:

And now it's been cancelled, supposedly temporarily:

Quote:
(...) we ran into some unforeseen circumstances. We require some time to work with this situation and we are hopeful that we will relaunch this project soon.

I think the fact that someone else was actually concerned on their behalf about the copyright issues probably helped them wise up. Their "unforeseen circumstance" appears to have been "someone actually caught us ripping this off".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
I think the fact that someone else was actually concerned on their behalf about the copyright issues probably helped them wise up. Their "unforeseen circumstance" appears to have been "someone actually caught us ripping this off".

Or perhaps somebody pointed out to them that using cowries isn't quite as revolutionary as they claimed. It is in fact pretty much a standard in old Indian games. But then again, how could the designers of that game know anything about old Indian games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
This is a bit sad, but unfortunately, that doesn't help making it any better as a Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1880000487/miniature-pa...

Some unemployed guy wants to set up a gaming shop, and wants £25,000 to do it. But: no business plan, unclear reward levels, practically no details about anything. Not even about the planned location of the shop, except "Mexborough, UK" (in South Yorkshire, population about 15 000, according to Wikipedia).

Quote:
Risks and challenges

there are no foreseeable risks

Well, even though I believe that campaign is probably doomed in its current form, especially given the funding goal of £25,000, I backed for £1 and posted some advice to him. Maybe that will help him get back with a better campaign later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  263 , 264 , 265 , 266 , 267  Next »  [268] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.