Leif Stensson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another note about the Pixel Hero KS:

Quote:
Pixel Hero: Conquest is a complex rock-paper-scissor card game mixed with a memory game.

OK, so take two trivial, just-barely-a-game games, and combine them to make it complex? I'm not convinced this is the best sales pitch for a game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

this really doesn't belong here. It's a well design Kickstarter with a real game, that happens to feature a component similar to another game/toy. Not a worst KS at all

We've definitely talked about projects that copy existing art designs before. That's straight up what this is. Mechanics of a game are way less protected by law than graphic representations. Imagine if I threw up a kickstarter for a deck building game that uses Magic: the Gathering cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

this really doesn't belong here. It's a well design Kickstarter with a real game, that happens to feature a component similar to another game/toy. Not a worst KS at all

We've definitely talked about projects that copy existing art designs before. That's straight up what this is. Mechanics of a game are way less protected by law than graphic representations. Imagine if I threw up a kickstarter for a deck building game that uses Magic: the Gathering cards.

I don't think it is quite as straight as it appears to be.

The Stumped guys just appear to be selling chinese manufactored wooden toy trees (that's just one of several available listings) and throwing in a deck building game.
They might have been genuinely unaware of Arbos Apfel.

That the chinese manufacturers were clearly "inspired" by Arbos Apfel is a different story.
This is not uncommon in China and even established game companies can stumble over this. A good example would be the space ships in Exodus: Proxima Centauri by NSKN Games, which are originally from Silent Death: The Next Millennium Deluxe Edition by Iron Crown Enterprises (ICE).
IIRC when ICE had these produced in China they saw copies of their ships available for sale before they even had the real stuff in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daefaroth wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Spilljeger wrote:
Here's one Kickstarter getting pixelated...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1624900122/pixel-hero-c...

I like the risks; "One foreseen issue is copyright. I am hoping to use the money collected in funding to purchase a copyright for the game."

Getting at cease and desist letter after funding (not) - No refund for you!

I think he means he'll pay to get it copyright protected. Not buy a license from another copyright holder…

I guess there's good news and bad news waiting for him (assuming Pixel Hero is already a thing that belongs to some other copyright holder)…

If they created their own characters and their own art and their own rulebook copyright shouldn't be an issue (or strictly speaking, even necessary). However, I think they will run into problems on the Trademark side, but that will just require changing the name of the game to something more unique.

While copyright is automatic, registering copyright opens up additional protections and ability to peruse damage, at least Stateside. I forget how much it currently costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stein Surland
Norway
Hokksund
Buskerud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone remind me on why not to publish trading card games?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/463414308/wizards-and-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, totally off topic, but did anyone else notice the fugly new Kickstarter logo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Ok, totally off topic, but did anyone else notice the fugly new Kickstarter logo?

That and they dropped their iconic green... It's now this standard "we're 2017"-green, if that makes sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:

That and they dropped their iconic green... It's now this standard "we're 2017"-green, if that makes sense

I see the green tint in it, but I'd even go so far as to call that colour blue rather than green. Especially if I look at it on my phone which has an OLED display…

Aaaand Kickstarter is down… maybe it crumbled under the pressure of all users checking out the ugly logo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
rvervuurt wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:

I see the green tint in it, but I'd even go so far as to call that colour blue rather than green. Especially if I look at it on my phone which has an OLED display…

Aaaand Kickstarter is down… maybe it crumbled under the pressure of all users checking out the ugly logo?

We're apparently talking about different colors, and I can see the logo is a different color than buttons and stuff:
Buttons and stuff

Logo

The logo is clearly blue, I give you that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
rvervuurt wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:

We're apparently talking about different colors, and I can see the logo is a different color than buttons and stuff: […]

The logo is clearly blue, I give you that.

That's kind of a weird change for a company that is so deeply associated with a colour…

EDIT: I mean, it's not quite like if Coca Cola changed from red, but still…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spilljeger wrote:
Could someone remind me on why not to publish trading card games?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/463414308/wizards-and-w...

Even ignoring that, no rulebook or rule video (that terrible "summary" is less than useless to me since it uses undefined phrases to me and is more conversational than useful) and no actual publishing timeline due to that and the incomplete artwork.

And 20k goal while pretty ,much telling us there is no money on his side to fill out the budget shows a severe lack of budgeting a business plan to publish (like not even having an LLC made yet, which is cheap). It's awful even without the CCG aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry, I usually do not let others do my work, but can someone tell me what this Kickstarter is about?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/138550887/ghost-ship-a-...

I mean, after the sixth page of "This is a super flexible game" I lost hope....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:

Lord yes, don't get me started -_-"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
I am sorry, I usually do not let others do my work, but can someone tell me what this Kickstarter is about?

As far as I can tell before my eyes started crossing...

Firefly themed (but not really unless they get a million dollars funding and then of course getting the license is "easy" after that... *crickets chirp*) Munchkin knock off with crunchier (translated: "using dice for more random") combat.

Edit to add:
Blatant lies Questionable statements in the kickstarter...

Quote:
I do NOT need money from Browncoats...I need your depth and breadth of reach to create a trend, a meme, a landslide... I really need the wholehearted support of the Browncoat community to make this board game project a success.

So Firefly fans don't need to support this game, they just need to talk about it online so much that other people who aren't Firefly fans suddenly realize how much their life is missing a Firefly themed game (which as I implied above won't actually get a Firefly theme)

Quote:
Just consider: The card game Exploding Kittens raised nearly 9 million dollars in their KS campaign. They had no dedicated fan base to call upon to support their campaign.

I guess roughly 4 million unique visitors to the Oatmeal website each month doesn't qualify as a dedicated fanbase. I will admit that I don't know the full extent of the Browncoat movement, but I am guessing probably not in the millions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:

I can't quite read it all, but I think it's like Firefly Munchkin, but without the Firefly license, and a board with a ship that looks more like a schematic for a sex toy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petra
Sweden
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
...and a board with a ship that looks more like a schematic for a sex toy.

Great, cannot unsee now. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias T
Germany
flag msg tools
You found my uncreative, hidden message. I will put something smart here once I had enough coffee. There is never enough coffee...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paedra wrote:
TravelSized wrote:

The cruel part is that it's the last thing you will ever see because the rest of the page is designed to make you blind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petra
Sweden
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trud wrote:
Paedra wrote:
TravelSized wrote:

The cruel part is that it's the last thing you will ever see because the rest of the page is designed to make you blind...

ah, that explains why my eyes are bleeding... the wall of text has so many mixes of bold and italic that my head is spinning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:

Wow. I didn't read the whole mess, but I did find my favorite part. Buried deep, deep, deep within that mountain of text, nestled into his plea to the "Browncoat Community" to make his project a success, is this gem:
Quote:
The card game Exploding Kittens raised nearly 9 million dollars in their KS campaign. They had no dedicated fan base to call upon to support their campaign.

That is a rather epic misunderstanding of the Exploding Kittens phenomenon. This guy genuinely thinks that some random mediocre card game can just magically raise $9M out of the blue? Yikes. I think someone needs to gently point this poor guy to theoatmeal.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
capricorn_tm wrote:

Wow. I didn't read the whole mess, but I did find my favorite part. Buried deep, deep, deep within that mountain of text, nestled into his plea to the "Browncoat Community" to make his project a success, is this gem:
Quote:
The card game Exploding Kittens raised nearly 9 million dollars in their KS campaign. They had no dedicated fan base to call upon to support their campaign.

That is a rather epic misunderstanding of the Exploding Kittens phenomenon. This guy genuinely thinks that some random mediocre card game can just magically raise $9M out of the blue? Yikes. I think someone needs to gently point this poor guy to theoatmeal.com.
And then there's another wonderfully naive gem in the Risks & Challenges:

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason that FOX or Universal wouldn't agree to sell us a license, that would be like saying no to money, and they are not in the business of saying no to money. 10% of 0 is, let me see, 0 divided by 0...carry the 0...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason that FOX or Universal wouldn't agree to sell us a license, that would be like saying no to money, and they are not in the business of saying no to money. 10% of 0 is, let me see, 0 divided by 0...carry the 0...

That one jumped right out at me too.

They obviously have no idea what they're getting into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stein Surland
Norway
Hokksund
Buskerud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:

---

Yes, this one is as bad as they come...

Even I couldn't manage to read through it all. Stretch coals not bad though :-)

At 50k we add the option to upgrade to the boxed set ($69).
At 150k the box sets are funded, and the first Expansionizm is set into motion.
One piece of advice we received from pro KSers is to plan for extreme success...therefore:
At 500k the App version is commissioned.
At 1m we approach Corbis and negotiate for the Firefly license.
At 1.5 m we hire a PC game designer. (App and PC version will be a turn-based single player controlling 4 characters. We will also look into multiplayer options over SteamPowered.)
At 4m we launch the Guild of Blue Wizards as a fully-featured geek press enterprise, publishing (online and in print) game magazines, fiction, short story collections, novels, etc.
At 8m, we launch the GBW online film co., shooting sci-fi both serious and comedic. Series will be premiered on the web, and be pitched to Amazon and Netflix. Two series are already scripted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Quote:

And on top of everything else in that campaign, it's also worrying that they divide zero by zero, and then carry a zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spilljeger wrote:
capricorn_tm wrote:

---

Yes, this one is as bad as they come...

Even I couldn't manage to read through it all. Stretch coals not bad though :-)

At 50k we add the option to upgrade to the boxed set ($69).
At 150k the box sets are funded, and the first Expansionizm is set into motion.
One piece of advice we received from pro KSers is to plan for extreme success...therefore:
At 500k the App version is commissioned.
At 1m we approach Corbis and negotiate for the Firefly license.
At 1.5 m we hire a PC game designer. (App and PC version will be a turn-based single player controlling 4 characters. We will also look into multiplayer options over SteamPowered.)
At 4m we launch the Guild of Blue Wizards as a fully-featured geek press enterprise, publishing (online and in print) game magazines, fiction, short story collections, novels, etc.
At 8m, we launch the GBW online film co., shooting sci-fi both serious and comedic. Series will be premiered on the web, and be pitched to Amazon and Netflix. Two series are already scripted.

Now this is just sloppy work... No plan for the inevitable 20 million? Come on guys! Have a little faith in yourselves! Let's build a real spaceship and hire a crew of likeable misfits to pilot it through alliance space, maybe add a hyperdrive expansion when you hit 25 (Which, I expect, will happen at around the 43 hour mark).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
Woelf wrote:
Quote:

And on top of everything else in that campaign, it's also worrying that they divide zero by zero, and then carry a zero.

It's a misquote of a line in Firefly by Jayne ("Ten percent of nothin' is, let me do the math here... nothin' and a nothin', carry the nothin'...")

The level of self-delusion in this campaign is spectacular. Allegedly he's also the author of a 5-star rated book (although on Goodreads, the only review is his own!). I also love the "Heading off some possible arguments" section.

Quote:
"You come from nowhere, and are trying to glean popularity from the good name of Wizards of the Coast"

Funnily enough, an appallingly written KS page for a nonsensical game containing a bunch of mangled Firefly quotes reminded me of WoTC in exactly zero ways. Both have "Wizards" in the name, so I suppose there's that?

Quote:
"You're overly (or underly) ambitious with your Fund Goals."
We have been studying both the advice and actual practices of pro game publishers and pro KSers.

...and then decided to run the opposite of what you'd studied!

Quote:
"What's up with stupid misspelled or made-up words like "Lootz" and "Exansionizm?"
We find they add atmosphere just like the words "shiny," "ruttin'," "goram!," and "humped!"

Just no. While I love language being used in worldbuilding to add atmosphere and authenticity, I'd rather said language didn't conjure cringeworthy images of a 13-year-old trying to be cool.

He's also not charging shipping - one of the pledge levels states:
Quote:
Includes shipping within the US. Other countries will ship through our fulfillment service, which will charge on a per-country basis, based upon shipping costs (Just cover what we pay to get it to you, please).

I don't think that's how these things work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  263 , 264 , 265 , 266 , 267  Next »  [418] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.