Popular Tags: [View All]
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So what options do they have left? An oil rig off the coast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-order or maybe their own dungeoncrawler.

Some posters on Dakka Dakka still want to see this (or at least the miniatures) succeed somehow. Hope they have their credit cards ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Sam and Max wrote:
Hope they have their credit cards ready.

When I first read this, for some reason, I thought you were meaning that the fans will need to rebuild GZ's credibility as they're fresh out of their own.

Don't worry, I reread it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Campbell
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Face palm. Just face palm. Gamezone has basically been kicked off of two crowdfunding websites (one actually kicked the project off), yet they still think they can find a new site to fundraise on.

News flash, Gamezone. No one wants to touch this with a 300 ft pole. You've had 2 failed campaigns, a C&D order, admitted to not having appropriate rights to make the game that you are trying to make, refuse to credit the original designer, and have openly lied to pretty much everyone invovled along the way. You are not going to find another crowdfunding site. The harder you push, the worse you end up looking and the more harm you are doing to yourselves and those who still inexplicable belief in your product.

Just let it go. Please let it go. It's over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
ScooterinAB wrote:

News flash, Gamezone. No one wants to touch this with a 300 ft pole. You've had 2 failed campaigns, a C&D order, admitted to not having appropriate rights to make the game that you are trying to make, refuse to credit the original designer, and have openly lied to pretty much everyone invovled along the way.

Hmmm. Well. Yes. That does seem to sum it up as far as the liabilities go doesn't it.

But what are GZ's assets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Charpentier
France
Alfortville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest news from our french informer :
Quote:
3rd try : a new crowdfunding platform, and an official statement from Hasbro.
We should hear soon.

Well.... we'll see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Campbell
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
dkearns wrote:
ScooterinAB wrote:

News flash, Gamezone. No one wants to touch this with a 300 ft pole. You've had 2 failed campaigns, a C&D order, admitted to not having appropriate rights to make the game that you are trying to make, refuse to credit the original designer, and have openly lied to pretty much everyone invovled along the way.

Hmmm. Well. Yes. That does seem to sum it up as far as the liabilities go doesn't it.

Not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
ScooterinAB wrote:
dkearns wrote:
ScooterinAB wrote:

Not sure myself. Some people are really staunch supporters so I assume GZ has assets.

Let's try to list them:

1) promising something people really want but they don't actually have
2) ...?

A little help over here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
ScooterinAB wrote:
dkearns wrote:
ScooterinAB wrote:

Not sure myself. Some people are really staunch supporters so I assume GZ has assets.

Let's try to list them:

1) promising something people really want but they don't actually have
2) ...?

A little help over here?

2: Good mini sculpts/renders. This is GameZones main strength here, pretty much right now its only strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the art didn't especially appeal to me (Les Edwards soblue), I suppose we should also mention;

3 - Professional artistic direction

(which to me, btw, is the only professional thing they've achieved so far)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Singleton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
ScooterinAB wrote:
dkearns wrote:

I thought this was a setup for a "Princess Bride" quote joke. I was personally hoping for someone to list a wheelbarrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Charpentier
France
Alfortville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest news :
- GZ has moved the project on a 3rd crowdfunding ptf and is waiting for the green light
- GZ will do a special communication about their IP
- the french translator managed to get an answer from Hasbro
no more details, we have to wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooook wrote:
Latest news :
- GZ has moved the project on a 3rd crowdfunding ptf and is waiting for the green light

Anticipating… this fire is still smoldering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooook wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? Does this mean someone working at GZ (a french "translator" - whistle) or a fan participating on the boards managed to contact Hasbro directly and got some information from them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zhu
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
Ooook wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? Does this mean someone working at GZ (a french "translator" - whistle) or a fan participating on the boards managed to contact Hasbro directly and got some information from them?

Quote:
Date: Dec 9, 2013

Sender
[Private]

Sent via email

Recipient
Kickstarter, Inc.
155 Rivington St.
New York, NY 10002
USA

Re: Heroquest 25th Anniversary (Canceled)

Description of copyrighted material:

I am the authorized representative of the owner of the "Heroquest" registered trademark. I am writing to inform Kickstarter that the recent KS project by Gamezone for a Heroquest game (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113976860/heroquest-25t......) is in violation of our trademark "Heroquest" which is registered with the United States Patents and Trademark Office.

The trademark "Heroquest is registered by Francis Greg Stafford (who is cc'ed to this email) with the USPTO (Registration Number 4082281) for use in game book manuals. Moon Design Publications LLC has the exclusive license for use of that trademark. Moon Design Publications LLC is a Michigan state limited liability corporation with a street address of 3450 Wooddale Ct, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.

The project by Gamezone, a Spanish game company, proposes to remake a role-playing/board game originally produced by Milton Bradley and Games Workshop in 1989. The project calls their game "Heroquest" which is identical to our registered mark and easily confused with it (we have received multiple queries about whether we have any connection to the project in the last few days).

Gamezone initially asked us for use of the Heroquest trademark on July 31, 2013. We refused on August 26, 2013, informing Gamezone by email that: "For some time now we have been working on creating a "Heroquest" Gloranthan board game with some game designers. We are looking to use the Heroquest trademark for this, and so at this time we must decline your request."

Description of infringing material:

Despite being explicitly refused permission to use our trademark, Gamezone went ahead and launched this Kickstarter in the United States. Yesterday, I sent an email to Gamezone asking them to respond to their violation within 24 hours - beyond acknowledging receipt of the email, we've received nothing from them.

--- END ---

From the "Heroquest 25th Anniversary(canceled)" thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Casey
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooook wrote:
Latest news :

Sources? I get that we are dealing with rumors and what not, but still, they have to start somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fishminer wrote:

OK.... and?

This is known information from several weeks ago. What does it have to do with my question to Ooook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:

OK.... and?

This is known information from several weeks ago. What does it have to do with my question to Ooook?

He probably thought it was from Hasbro rather than Moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fishminer wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:
Ooook wrote:

Quote:

Sender
[Private]

Sent via email

Recipient
Kickstarter, Inc.
155 Rivington St.
New York, NY 10002
USA

I am the authorized representative of the owner of the "Heroquest" registered trademark. I am writing to inform Kickstarter that the recent KS project by Gamezone for a Heroquest game (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113976860/heroquest-25t......) is in violation of our trademark "Heroquest" which is registered with the United States Patents and Trademark Office.

The trademark "Heroquest is registered by Francis Greg Stafford (who is cc'ed to this email) with the USPTO (Registration Number 4082281) for use in game book manuals. Moon Design Publications LLC has the exclusive license for use of that trademark. Moon Design Publications LLC is a Michigan state limited liability corporation with a street address of 3450 Wooddale Ct, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.

The project by Gamezone, a Spanish game company, proposes to remake a role-playing/board game originally produced by Milton Bradley and Games Workshop in 1989. The project calls their game "Heroquest" which is identical to our registered mark and easily confused with it (we have received multiple queries about whether we have any connection to the project in the last few days).

Gamezone initially asked us for use of the Heroquest trademark on July 31, 2013. We refused on August 26, 2013, informing Gamezone by email that: "For some time now we have been working on creating a "Heroquest" Gloranthan board game with some game designers. We are looking to use the Heroquest trademark for this, and so at this time we must decline your request."

Despite being explicitly refused permission to use our trademark, Gamezone went ahead and launched this Kickstarter in the United States. Yesterday, I sent an email to Gamezone asking them to respond to their violation within 24 hours - beyond acknowledging receipt of the email, we've received nothing from them.

--- END ---

Nope. That's confirmed as the letter Moon Design sent to Kickstarter back on Nov. 27 in the same thread you copied it from. Its not from Hasbro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zhu
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
kelann08 wrote:
fishminer wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:
Ooook wrote:

Quote:

Sender
[Private]

Sent via email

Recipient
Kickstarter, Inc.
155 Rivington St.
New York, NY 10002
USA

--- END ---

Nope. That's confirmed as the letter Moon Design sent to Kickstarter back on Nov. 27 in the same thread you copied it from. Its not from Hasbro.

Did not read carefully. Thought that was from Hasbro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Charpentier
France
Alfortville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
Ooook wrote:

Exactly.

My informer is HeroquestFrance, one of the fans behind "Heroquest Remaster" ( http://heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.fr/ ). He had a C&D from Hasbro early this year when a guy tried to sell "Heroquest Remaster" on eBay. HeroquestFrance discussed with Hasbro and managed to get his work back online in september.
Then, he was contacted by GZ for HQ25 to help them on the french translation.

So, when he says he had an answer from Hasbro regarding HQ25, I trust him.
(but I still don't know what the answer is... whistle )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friman wrote:
So... their semiofficial translator managed to contact Hasbro and have an answer from them even sooner than GZ itself? Well, maybe we will finally see an official seal on this product (or more laughs through a phone chat from Hasbro?).

Well, it sounds as though he had previous contact with Hasbro so that actually makes some amount of sense.

As far as GZ themselves - aside from possible connection through HeroQuestFrance, we don't even know if they've actually attempted to talk to Hasbro at all or if they've been successful even if they have tried. They seem to have implied both at different times in their communications with the gaming community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Charpentier
France
Alfortville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno about GZ itself (did they even contact Habro ?), and dunno about the answer (is it a "yes we authorized" or "no, we will send our lawyers" ?).

But the translator had contacts with Hasbro before HQ25 was launched (cf the C&D on the remaster he made).

edit : RedShark92 explained it better (and faster) than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a question for the masses:

Is there anything that GameZone could do or say at this point that would immediately win your trust 110%? Anything that would turn them from zero to hero in no time flat (please don't sue me, Disney)? If yes, what would it take?

For me, its no. I can't really fathom anything right now to justify the lies they've told. I suppose if you take some of this as lies and some of it as pure ignorance, then that convenient mixture might lead to a path of redemption. Perhaps they lied because they didn't know it would be wise to broadcast the Hasbro rights early on? That's lying + ignorance. And if it turns out they do have it I could see myself defrosting a bit but certainly not restore trust to 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Is there anything that GameZone could do or say at this point that would immediately win your trust 110%? Anything that would turn them from zero to hero in no time flat (please don't sue me, Disney)? If yes, what would it take?

First, with the caveat that I wasn't really planning to support this anyway, but would have considered it if it had good, solid updates to the rules to bring it up to modern standards while keeping the charm of the original.

At this point, even if it looks like it may meet my conditions above? Even if Hasbro comes out and gives their blessing and the original creators get credit and consideration?

No, not really. The way they've handled this has not exactly impressed me or instilled me with confidence in their ability to see the project through, so I wouldn't even consider backing this on any crowdfunding site or put money up for any kind of pre-order even in an absolute best-case scenario right now.

If they do all of the above, successfully fund and it becomes available at retail? I'd consider picking up a copy at that point depending on the usual variables (reviews, cost, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [12] |