Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at my ODE green maps, and how they basically fill my living room floor when strung together Then I took a look at the Giant Battlefield Set receipt I have, and I started thinking: What can you do with a large floor full of hex grid countryside /besides/ play out the Second Battle of The Bulge with 500 AU on each side (which is tricky anyways given the conventional unit counter mix ODE comes with).

One answer, inspired by the old Ultima computer RPGs (and not a little bit by Robotech 3rd Generation/Mospeada and Twlight 2000) is the Post Apocalyptic road trip.

The war is over. Your government has crumbled. High Command are gone. All you and you rag tag group of hardened veterans want to do is get home. Which is 5-6 mapsheets /that way/. You start with an armor unit or 2, an engineer squad, a truck, and 1d6 infantry squads. Start driving. Every 6 hexes roll on an encounter table to see if you meet lawless gangs or possible reinforcements. When you hit a town, roll for reinforcements, a fight with hostile locals, or even a side quest. ("There's a SHVY in the next town if you can take it off the psycho who's blackmailing us with it.")

Another option would be to liberally salt all of the maps and towns with small units and roll for their inclinations when you get within 3 hexes of one of them.

The framework fits equally well into the immediate aftermath of the collapse of PE in Europe, the collapse of the Combine and the Nihon invasion, or even the Factory States era. Basically using the Ogre combat engine as part of a barebones RPG, somewhat akin to what the Convoy programmed adventure does with Car Wars.

No I haven't written any tables yet. But I did want to put the idea out there and invite people to riff on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kendelhardt
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I was thinking of something similar, well, more of a series of linked scenarios rather than a long continuous battle.

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a card deck for "environmental" factors and missions. Heck, could maybe even crib the "reputation" part of Mage Knight to allow you to help, sack, or burn towns and factories as you go depending on your mood and needs.

Probably easier to have a seperate "overland" map and reserve the hex boards for tactical battles, but with SO MANY boards to play with, it is hard to not want to trace a 1000 km "March of the Ten Thousand" over real distance :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See "The Gauntlet" from an old issue of ADQ. Ah... here's the full text.

You're trying to get from point A to point B.

There are random obstacles and hooligans generated as you go.

It was very fun in Car Wars....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.