Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Inspired by Sarah's Geeklist!

Come on people, let's set some good challenges for 2014!

I've put 10 games on the link above but here i will put 15 and i hope to get 10 plays for 10 of these.

I'd like to add a few 2 player games as well if anyone is interested! The options i'm thinking of are Twilight Struggle, 1960: The Making of the President, Summoner Wars, Manoeuvre, Stronghold. Any takers for the 2 player challenges? Any other suggestions are also welcome!

The 10

1. Hansa Teutonica

2.Firenze

3.El Grande

4.Archipelago
whistle
5.Trajan

6.City of Remnants

7.Space Alert

8.Space Cadets: Dice Duel

9.Cosmic Encounter

10.Formula D

and the 5 backups

11.Neue Heimat

12.Terra Mystica

13.Spyrium

14.Meuterer

15. Suburbia
whistle

Edit: Changes
Agricola OUT Suburbia IN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1st progress update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku
msg tools
mbmb
Nice! Here's mine. I don't think I'll be able to, but here goes:

The 10

1.Tales of the Arabian Nights

2.Archipelago

3.Suburbia

4.Eclipse

5.Terra Mystica

6.Space Cadets: Dice Duel

7.Samurai Sword

8.Cosmic Encounter

9.Power Grid

10.Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

and the 5 backups

11.Tokaido

12.Android: Netrunner

13.Ladies & Gentlemen

14.Love Letter

15.Citadels

//edit: replaced 7 Wonders, Puerto Rico with Space Cadets: DD and Tokaido
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fantastic man! It is difficult but the main thing is to have fun doing it as well. We have quite a few in common so i think that will help us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Btw, what were your impressions of Terra Mystica? I have very high expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku
msg tools
mbmb
Zolos wrote:
Btw, what were your impressions of Terra Mystica? I have very high expectations.

I liked the game overall. There's not much going on on the board itself, but there's lots of thinking and strategizing behind each action. I like the fact that you can't directly confront other players but can sneakily cut them off indirectly.

Components are really well built. Lots of wood in the box. I find it pretty amusing that there are 14 races to choose from, with 7 differently coloured components/player boards even though the max player count is 5. They've gone quite crazy with tweaking advantages and disadvantages for each race, so you have to restructure your strategy completely when picking a different race. High replayability value because of that and the fact that the objectives that give you extra points for each of the 6 rounds are drawn at random for each game.

That being said races don't feel like races, but merely like a different title for another set of rules. The same goes for priests, they don't feel like priests, they just feel like another form of currency in the game. Also people who are prone to AP think about each move way too much.

I've only played two player games and I can't wait to play games with a higher player count. I like Terra Mystica. For me it's an imperfect game in several ways but it leaves me with a very positive aftertaste which makes me want to play again. Next day, because my brain hurts.

How about Archipelago? I really want to get it but I already own more games leaning towards heavy weight than my friends care to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku wrote:

That being said races don't feel like races, but merely like a different title for another set of rules. The same goes for priests, they don't feel like priests, they just feel like another form of currency in the game. Also people who are prone to AP think about each move way too much.

Welcome to the wonderful world of eurogames. The abstraction of mechanics is very common in this category of games.

Quote:
I've only played two player games and I can't wait to play games with a higher player count. I like Terra Mystica. For me it's an imperfect game in several ways but it leaves me with a very positive aftertaste which makes me want to play again. Next day, because my brain

No game is perfect, you play the games that you like most.
Also if you want more players, you know where to find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I own Terra Mystica, read the rules and played it by myself and i agree with you. The theme is pasted on but it looks like my kind of game. It reminds me of Hansa Teutonica which is one of my favoutire games. I also agree that it seems that it needs more people to get the most out of it. 4-5 i imagine.

Archipelago i have played 4 times now with 3 players. 4 might be the sweetspot.

But even with 3...I simply LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!

After every session i keep thinking about it. I can't stop thinking about it!!! I definitely see people hating it. It's a very awkard game. With the semi-coop aspect, the secret objectives etc.

But personally, i think it's a phenomenal game. I LOVE IT!!!

P.S Like Apparos said. Now you know where you can find more gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku
msg tools
mbmb
Good stuffs. I'll probably see you guys Thursday. You'll make me order Archipelago.

Zolo I learned TM using http://lodev.org/tmai/ with my actual boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku wrote:

Sorry for asking, i don't mean to sound rude but how are you going to complete 10 plays with a game you don't own?
You only own numbers 4,5,7 from the main list. So unless you have access to them in another way it is not possible. (Unless of course your aim is to buy all these games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku
msg tools
mbmb
Appare I made more of a 'wishing to play' list. And there are more on the way. 2014 is still young

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you have games on your wishlist that others in the group own you should definitely try and play them before buying. You will find a lot of games that even though you enjoy playing but you would not necessarily want to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zolos wrote:
If you have games on your wishlist that others in the group own you should definitely try and play them before buying. You will find a lot of games that even though you enjoy playing but you would not necessarily want to own.

I second that. Kriton, it is a common thing for gamers to get into a "buying spree" once they get into the hobby. The problem lies in the fact that most of the games they buy during the spree will stay unplayed for quite a while.
Costas is trying to help you avoid buying games that you will not play or not like. In the latter case, there are many games that look cool in paper but aren't in practice or that require many plays or a specific playgroup to be enjoyable.

One last thing coming from personal experience: Don't use the BGG top 100 as a buying guide. The top 100 games show which games are popular not which games are best for you. There is no such thing as a true scale which you can use to rank games.

I hope we will see you on Thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku
msg tools
mbmb
You're almost halfway there with Archipelago Zolo!
I'll see you Thursday guys. Advice noted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kritsku wrote:
You're almost halfway there with Archipelago Zolo!

Yeah, it's going really well so far! It helps that i have 2 more players who also fell in love with the game!

Also managed to play a game of Suburbia last night. Excellent game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kritsku wrote:

Nice! This is going well for you and it's still January.

I've only played two of the games i've put but i reached the halfway point with Archipelago over the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku
msg tools
mbmb
It is indeed! I'm happy that I can share good times with my friends playing board games.
Yesterday I "recruited" yet another two friends who enjoyed a long game of Eclipse. It was my first 4 player Eclipse game and I loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kritsku wrote:

This needs to be updated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku
msg tools
mbmb
done! Hopefully those remaining 9 Archipelago stars will go away soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Archipelago has successfully been played 10 times and it's still March. Such a fantastic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Zolos wrote:
Inspired by Sarah's Geeklist!

Come on people, let's set some good challenges for 2014!

I've put 10 games on the link above but here i will put 15 and i hope to get 10 plays for 10 of these.

I'd like to add a few 2 player games as well if anyone is interested! The options i'm thinking of are Twilight Struggle, 1960: The Making of the President, Summoner Wars, Manoeuvre, Stronghold. Any takers for the 2 player challenges? Any other suggestions are also welcome!

The 10

1. Hansa Teutonica

2.Firenze

3.El Grande

4.Archipelago

5.Trajan

6.City of Remnants

7.Space Alert

8.Space Cadets: Dice Duel

9.Cosmic Encounter

10.Formula D

and the 5 backups

11.Neue Heimat

12.Terra Mystica

13.Spyrium

14.Meuterer

15. Suburbia

Edit: Changes
Agricola OUT Suburbia IN

Suburbia is the second game to get 10 plays in 2014!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku
msg tools
mbmb
I've gone through my plays and it seems like Archipelago has been played 10 times and Suburbia 9!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Excellent!

Archipelago and Suburbia are the ones i've reached 10 so far. The other games are far behind. You are doing well in almost all your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Firenze!

Challenge list updated! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kritsku
msg tools
mbmb
kritsku wrote:
Nice! Here's mine. I don't think I'll be able to, but here goes:

The 10

1.Tales of the Arabian Nights

2.Archipelago

3.Suburbia

4.Eclipse

5.Terra Mystica

6.Space Cadets: Dice Duel

7.Samurai Sword

8.Cosmic Encounter

9.Power Grid

10.Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

and the 5 backups

11.Tokaido

12.Android: Netrunner

13.Ladies & Gentlemen

14.Love Letter

15.Citadels

//edit: replaced 7 Wonders, Puerto Rico with Space Cadets: DD and Tokaido

Tales played 10/10!
Suburbia seems next, possibly followed by eclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.