Subject: Okay - When's the Next Game Going Up for Reprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious . . . :-) At the rate Stonewall Jackson's Way II went, we're looking at 25-35 years to reprint the games.

But in all seriousness, is there a planned project to continue the reprint/republication of these modules?

Are there any potential *new* modules up for consideration?

This module is going to keep me busy for at least several years, so I'm not in a hurry, necessarily, just curious.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall reading a comment from Ed Beach during his Designer of the Month Q&A here that they've already been working on the components of the other titles for some time. So at least that production work is either finished or well under way. The problem will be the time spent getting each title to 500 orders and then printed, in succession. With MMP's track record, that'll be a looooooong wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
If SJWII was any indicator, we're talking most of the rest of my life. I do wish MMP were faster with their Non-ASL titles. How long was SJWII from being put on P500 to published? 4 years? I can't remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withers

California
msg tools
We are actively working 3 GCACW games at the moment. Atlanta is a new game, and the reprints we are working on are RTG and HCR/RWH (Rebels In The White House).

RTG redesign is basically done, as far as design & test goes. It still needs all the pre-production stuff done though, which doesn't happen until sometime in the P500 process. BTW, there are a quite a number of new scenarios in RTG

HCR/RWH is far along in the process, but not quite as far as RTG. That does not necessarily mean though that RTG would precede HCR. HCR Redesign is done, and we are well along in playtesting.

Atlanta is making good progress. Ed just finished another map section today as a matter of fact, taking advantage of getting snowed in :) We have 6 scenarios fully designed, 3 in work, and a bunch yet to go. There is quite a lot of good material in The Atlanta Campaign, so there will be a large number of scenarios.

I haven't really answered your basic question yet though, of when is the next title going to be printed and which title will it be. That I don't know. That's more of a MMP question. Strong support for BAC & SJW2 would likely push things along I would think.

All 3 titles are looking really, really good though. I of course am biased, but the scenario content is quite diverse, extensive, balanced, fun, etc. When these games do get published, they should be well worth it. I'm working HCR & Atlanta & RTG, Mike's got 3 campaigns in work for Atlanta, and Ed's working on a surprise scenario for Atlanta right now ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
How long was SJWII from being put on P500 to published? 4 years? I can't remember.

It was _far_ under that from the time it hit its P# to when it printed, but even that shorter period was _far too long_.

A big part of the problem was that is was not ready-to-layout when it went on preorder because we thought it might take a long time to hit its P#--if ever.

Then there were some issues in layout. Then there were problems fitting its counters into our counter sheet runs.

My _hope_ is that we can start treating GCACW titles more like ASL and The Gamers titles, so that they too will be much closer to being print-ready when they go on preorder. There would still be scheduling issues, but not like for SJWII.

But to quote Chris: " Strong support for BAC & SJW2 would likely push things".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the issue won't be waiting for the P500 number to hit.

It's the volume of work needed to meet the excellent standards to be upheld.

But if all 3 games discussed above we're put on P500 tomorrow I'd pledge them the same day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, tell MMP I just bought 2 boxes of SJW2 from my FLGS so my support for HCR2 is there.

Also please tell them that counter sheet 2 in both boxes was printed off-center so I’ll need replacements... ok I’ll tell them myself

I’ve owned the entire GCACW series since it first came out - and though only play a little of it due to space constraints - have always felt it to be the best approach to the ACW at the operational level - the forces coming to battle, not just the battles themselves.

Great to see SJW2 out and with so many 1-map scenarios. Amazed to see its expansion into First Bull Run too. And I’m ok with the new art.

Cheers,
Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisWithers wrote:
We are actively working 3 GCACW games at the moment. Atlanta is a new game, and the reprints we are working on are RTG and HCR/RWH (Rebels In The White House).

Atlanta is making good progress. Ed just finished another map section today as a matter of fact, taking advantage of getting snowed in We have 6 scenarios fully designed, 3 in work, and a bunch yet to go. There is quite a lot of good material in The Atlanta Campaign, so there will be a large number of scenarios.

Great news indeed. I am always thinking of this campaign missing from this series because I know the campaign from To Make Georgia Howl!.

If that is finished, are there still campaigns not yet covered by the series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of earlier campaigns in the west that are still left to be explored, the theatre of the war that I believe actually won the war. The ones of special value would be, of course, Shiloh and the campaign to capture of Fts. Henry and Donnelson. We get to see Grant as the learns how to campaign.

I might also like to see a Skirmisher module on the invasion of Louisiana and capture of New Orleans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Leary
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down for any GCACW game that covers any part of the Henry/Donelson campaign, the Perryvile campaign, Vicksburg, the battles around Nashville/Franklin.

I'm not sure some of those are really feasible at the scale (Vicksburg would likely need a map footprint as large as SiV, I'd guess), but there are not many options around for gaming much of anything out west at the operational level (Clash of Arms has a few games out there... but the opponent pool for Mississippi Fortress is... thin).

I'm looking forward to the Atlanta game, and am very interested in participating in a playtest pbem tourney, if they decide to go that route with this volume.

For all of the hand-wringing here and (especially) on consim over the cosmetic changes with the recent volumes in the series (ok, I wish the boxes were similar to the AH games), the system is still very enjoyable, and provides a great narrative experience most of the time.

I've played at least one scenario from each of the volumes now, with the exception of OTR (the only one I don't own), so any new game in the system is darn near an auto-buy... speaking of, it would be nice to see an updated version of OTR. Heck, put together a version of this system on part of the Mexican War and I'll buy that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmb
ChrisWithers wrote:
the reprints we are working on are RTG and HCR/RWH (Rebels In The White House.

RTG redesign is basically done, as far as design & test goes. It still needs all the pre-production stuff done though, which doesn't happen until sometime in the P500 process. BTW, there are a quite a number of new scenarios in RTG

HCR/RWH is far along in the process, but not quite as far as RTG. That does not necessarily mean though that RTG would precede HCR. HCR Redesign is done, and we are well along in playtesting.

This is excellent news--will vote with my hard earned ducats the
moment P500 is announcedwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Just decided to get into this system once I learned that there were plans to reprint the older titles (with new content even...thx). I was able to pick up all of the MMP printings (GTC, BAtC, and SJWII), plus I acquired HCtR for the extra map needed for SJWII. I have enough game material to keep me busy for awhile, but I would love to eventually see all of the older games reprinted with new content, along with any new games in the series as well. Look forward to many years of great gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Look forward to many years of great gaming.

Surely you will.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sign me up as the first UK buyer for any of these modules. If P500 would work across the Pond, I would be using it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
If SJWII was any indicator, we're talking most of the rest of my life. I do wish MMP were faster with their Non-ASL titles. How long was SJWII from being put on P500 to published? 4 years? I can't remember.

I don't remember SJW2 being up for P500 for all that long to be honest.

ASL games take forever as well! Hakke Palle has been "just about to go up for P500" now since about 2007 or 2008. Festung Budapest was in a similar limbo for 5 years. The same was true of Armies of Oblivion which had a nearly decade wait. Now, from the time ASL games go on P500 until they get printed seems like a jiffy.

The Gamers releases are the same way though...years in the waiting and moments in the publicizing to printing.

I kind of want them to get the next western theater module done before another reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

I don't remember SJW2 being up for P500 for all that long to be honest.

ASL games take forever as well! Hakke Palle has been "just about to go up for P500" now since about 2007 or 2008. Festung Budapest was in a similar limbo for 5 years. The same was true of Armies of Oblivion which had a nearly decade wait. Now, from the time ASL games go on P500 until they get printed seems like a jiffy.

The Gamers releases are the same way though...years in the waiting and moments in the publicizing to printing.

I kind of want them to get the next western theater module done before another reprint.

I think Battle Above the Clouds has really helped to revitalize the series and put it back on people's radar. I'm a junkie for the series. I want the reprints and the new modules as soon as they can print them. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls