Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
I noticed last week that prices of used copies on Amazon were going through the roof -- $250 and up, with rumors about the game going out of print on top of the great exposure from Tabletop. So I wrote to the publisher, who reassured me that 5000 copies of the game went out in Q4, and more are on the way. So folks who are looking to get a copy, don't fall prey to any scams -- the game should be available at your local store soon if it isn't already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike mcginnis

Shelby Twp
Michigan
msg tools
BruceGee wrote:
I noticed last week that prices of used copies on Amazon were going through the roof -- $250 and up, with rumors about the game going out of print on top of the great exposure from Tabletop. So I wrote to the publisher, who reassured me that 5000 copies of the game went out in Q4, and more are on the way. So folks who are looking to get a copy, don't fall prey to any scams -- the game should be available at your local store soon if it isn't already.
Holy cow... I sure hope so. I had heard of this game about a year ago and I decided I would buy it as an early christmas present to myself. Then I saw the price. I will not pay more than $100 for a copy of this game. I don't really want to play more than $60. This is insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackleford
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Indiana Jones fanMicrobadge: WWE fanMicrobadge: V-Commandos fanMicrobadge: Clank! fan Microbadge: Legendary fan
The fact that coolstuffinc is participating in this by selling it on Amazon for 299.99 is pretty weak. Not to mention the fact they're also charging 6.55 for shipping. But, if someone wants the game that desperately, I suppose they have an option. As for me, I think I'll take my business elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Microbadge: Classical Music fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Period film fanMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantly
charles_bronson1 wrote:
The fact that coolstuffinc is participating in this by selling it on Amazon for 299.99 is pretty weak. Not to mention the fact they're also charging 6.55 for shipping. But, if someone wants the game that desperately, I suppose they have an option. As for me, I think I'll take my business elsewhere.

This may not be the case, but in CSI's defense, these prices may have been set by computers. Lots of retailers nowadays have software that tracks prices of items on other sites, and adjusts their own prices as things go out of stock/print elsewhere. It's also why you see lots of things plummet in price when you see them show up on sites like Tanga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: St Louis Blues fanMicrobadge: It's a trap!Microbadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Kansas City Chiefs fan
just sold my copy on the bay for $90... Its a fun game, but for that price, I can wait, use the money to buy more games, then just re-buy it when it comes back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Defenders of the Realm fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Brimstone fanMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
Heh. I hope you recognize who BruceGee is.

I'm glad more people have discovered the game. Some coworkers of mine showed me the game in 2006 and it got me back into board gaming after a long absence.

My friend's 8 year old loved the game so I played the first edition a lot as it was one of the few games my friend could play along with his son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Army of Darkness fanMicrobadge: Evil Dead fanMicrobadge: My character carries a sawn-off shotgun - this is my BOOMSTICK!Microbadge: My character wields a chainsaw - groovy!Microbadge: Necronomicon fan
Nice to see Bruce taking an interest in what's going on with the game. It still makes me physically ill to see these posts of people putting the game on ebay for these ridiculous prices and taking advantage of some people who may not realize the game is not out of print. What's worse, the ones who sell it at pricegouger rates or the ones who buy it at the same rate? Oh well...after all, it is America and I guess you can't blame anyone for making a buck. Or a hundred...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike mcginnis

Shelby Twp
Michigan
msg tools
Autoduelist wrote:
Heh. I hope you recognize who BruceGee is. :)

I'm glad more people have discovered the game. Some coworkers of mine showed me the game in 2006 and it got me back into board gaming after a long absence.

My friend's 8 year old loved the game so I played the first edition a lot as it was one of the few games my friend could play along with his son.
Lol. Nope didn't pay attention that it was the man that created the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
I do check in here every once in a while to see what folks have to say. I don't usually post on rules questions, since a lot of you folks play the game more often than I do these days, and are probably more up on the rules than I am!

Still no word on an expansion, I'm afraid. AH doesn't seem to be set up for that at present.

I try to put my free time more into working on new games these days, one of which should hopefully be hitting the shelves next spring. I'll be sure to post about it here as soon as I get the go-ahead from the publisher (not Avalon Hill).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike mcginnis

Shelby Twp
Michigan
msg tools
BruceGee wrote:
Has anyone had any luck finding this game at local stores? I've tried all the stores near me (Southeastern Michigan) and I have had no luck at all. I've also tried my usual online stores (coolstuffinc, trollandtoad, boardsandbits, funagain)no luck with any of those stores either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Golden RPG CollectorMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 07 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver RPG Collector
suavemike wrote:
Has anyone had any luck finding this game at local stores?
I bought my copy at my local game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Symonds
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
One thing that would help with all of this nonsense is the ability to purchase directly from the AH section of the Wizard's site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Amazon is now listing it as being available on December 19.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike mcginnis

Shelby Twp
Michigan
msg tools
BruceGee wrote:
Amazon is now listing it as being available on December 19.
Where do you see this? I check their site several times a day to see if its back in stock and I have never seen a date given for when it will be available again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
I'm not sure if you missed the window or what. Apparently they must have gotten a few copies and put them up for sale, but then they sold out quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morton
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
BruceGee wrote:
I'm not sure if you missed the window or what. Apparently they must have gotten a few copies and put them up for sale, but then they sold out quickly.
Yeah, they restocked and everything was gone within 2 hours. I was lucky enough to get one, it is due to arrive today. $47.99 was what I paid, shipping was free due to a free amazon prime trial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tencher
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Goodness! This is the game at the top of my list and I am hopefully on every 'wishlist' so I can finally hear when it is back in stores. Hopefully it isn't too long!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike mcginnis

Shelby Twp
Michigan
msg tools
BruceGee wrote:
Ya I checked the site 4 or 5 times that day but I never saw it in Stock for the normal price. Oh well. Hopefully I can find a copy before Jan 20th. That's my next game night. We can only game about once every 6 months. So it will be a major disappointment if I can't find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Earthdawn RPG fanMicrobadge: Shadowrun: Crossfire fan - It's all about the nuyen
I ended up selling mine for about $130. There is a pretty good thread about this on the general gaming forum: Has the world gone mad? Betrayal at House on the Hill selling for $150, 50 bids on ebay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev Or
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
trev-NO-traw-nik
Microbadge: The revolution is on the tableMicrobadge: I play with orange!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Social GamerMicrobadge: Stonemaier Champion
This is a little ridiculous.

From gallery of trevnotronik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
BruceGee wrote:
charles_bronson1 wrote:

Well, it hasn't been available for many months, and continues to be out-of-stock, so there's more going on here than what the publisher is telling.

If copies are scarce, then prices go up. If they were charging "reasonable" prices, there wouldn't copies for sale at all.

Ever been to the zoo and felt like the guy at the hot dog stand was gouging customers? Well, the thing is he's only got a finite supply for the whole day, so "gouging" is how he makes them last the day rather than sell out by 11 AM.

purekaoz wrote:
Yeah, they restocked and everything was gone within 2 hours. I was lucky enough to get one, it is due to arrive today. $47.99 was what I paid, shipping was free due to a free amazon prime trial.
Q.E.D.

That's why I don't get mad about raising the price on rare copies. It's a valid practice of supply and demand. What I get hot under the collar about is when retailers pull junk like Miniature Market did with its Black Friday "door-busters". They had Trains, Bruges, and Clash of Culture all on sale, but didn't actually provide a supply to meet the demand, so they sold out almost immediately. Of course, the email they sent out prominently featured them. Oh, and as soon as the Black Friday sale was over, they were restocked. That's screwing with customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Project GIPF fanMicrobadge: Hunting fanMicrobadge: Game ElitistMicrobadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Economic Games fan
I was able to flip my copy for a profit. This is like trading bitcoins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Teece
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wow, glad I say this before paying a crazy amount to have a copy shipped over on ebay. Fine with waiting.

BTW Mr Glassco, very big fan of the game, obviously.

Would you know, if and when a expansion is decided upon, what chance there is of a tie-in to the film Cabin in the Woods? With the premise of a house constructed just to carry out horror films, it seems to go hand in hand with betrayal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Barbarian Prince fanMicrobadge: Forces others to play boardgamesMicrobadge: I am watching you... Day and night.Microbadge: I made my own gaming table
BruceGee wrote:

ok .. still waiting for these 5000 copies to be available anywhere !

maybe the publisher is taking advantage of the current price gouging whats his amazon account name again ?? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
Microbadge: One Ring to rule them all...Microbadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan
Please post updates here whenever anyone "official" hears anything concerning this game's availability. I'm anxiously checking! Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |