Subject: 2nd Expansion up for Pre-order! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
The second Space Empires expansion is up for pre-order. There is no page for it on BGG yet, but you can go to the GMT page for all the details on what is in it:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-468-space-empires-replicators.aspx

I'm excited about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
InstaP500, yay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay for terrain tiles (among other things)! cool ...I was about to make my own.

Now go make a BoB historical module whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
cool stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
P500 - Why are you always strongarming cash outta my wallet Jim?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: God plays diceMicrobadge: Ramones fanMicrobadge: I spend all my money on board games
I'm super exited about almost everything planed except for terrain tiles... Yeah they look cool and improve visuals of the game, but as someone who pushes their ships on the map, picking them up and carrying them on a tile and again off the tile seems like too much of a drag to ever use. I would much prefer a MS pipeline upgrade or something along those lines...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Haiku:

Pre-ordered today
A simple decision really
Empires ground to space dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Woodstock
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone been able to get a look at this yet? I'm mostly interested in whether it comes with solitaire scenarios, like Close Encounters. The description does mention co-op, but isn't very specific. The solitaire rating given is low too, without the usual disclaimer about solo scenarios, like for the base game and CE.

Depending on how quickly this makes it to print, I might grab Close Encounters in the next fall sale, thanks to the discount from P500'ing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would love to see more solo scenarios.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Szylewicz
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
miljenko wrote:
I'm super exited about almost everything planed except for terrain tiles... Yeah they look cool and improve visuals of the game, but as someone who pushes their ships on the map, picking them up and carrying them on a tile and again off the tile seems like too much of a drag to ever use. I would much prefer a MS pipeline upgrade or something along those lines...

If only you could have seen my face change while I read this... such hopes; dashed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Microbadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: My drinks don't just taste good, they look good doing it.Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: Whiskey drinker
Alas, the base game is still on my shelf, waiting to hit the table. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of having a look at those sexy tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-order filed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-ordered just now. And Talon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Some answers....

Quote:
Besides the visual improvement, the other thing I like is that it gives more room in the hex because the exploration counter is removed.

I have thought about improving the MS Pipeline visual appearance, but they are multi-directional, they can connect to multiple different hexes. I don't know how to improve them. Did you have something in mind?

Quote:
Has anyone been able to get a look at this yet? I'm mostly interested in whether it comes with solitaire scenarios, like Close Encounters. The description does mention co-op, but isn't very specific. The solitaire rating given is low too, without the usual disclaimer about solo scenarios, like for the base game and CE.
The solitaire scenarios have not been developed yet. While the premise of the Replicators is solid, they are still being balanced against a normal player. Once that is done, then they can be put into solitaire scenarios. In theory both of the existing alien empire solitaire scenarios should be able to be played as the Replicators, but that wont be tried until we have them balanced. Chance of success high.

I would like to see another solitaire scenario added where you play against the Replicators. I would also like to add them to the Space Amoeba and Doomsday Machine solitaire scenarios, but this is much more tentative. Honestly, the solitaire stuff ends up being the last stuff done. It is not that it is less important to me, it just that it becomes so much easier to do them once the foundation of the game is unchanging. The Space Empires solitaire scenarios didn't get officially added until a few months before the base game went to the printer. The same thing happened with the co-op scenarios in the first expansion.

Quote:
Depending on how quickly this makes it to print, I might grab Close Encounters in the next fall sale, thanks to the discount from P500'ing this.
That is a cool plan.

Quote:
Any chance of having a look at those sexy tiles?
They don't exist yet. That is normal. The artwork does not usually get done until after it makes the cut. On the P500, that section is called "In Art and Final Development". I know art sometimes is available early, but that is not the norm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quote:
Pre-ordered just now. And Talon.
Thanks! And thanks also for the Talon pre-order. Time will tell, but so far I am super excited about the playtest feedback I am getting. I know we will still make improvements to it, but it looks like a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:

That's a shame, Michael. You are missing out on a really cool game experience, especially when played with the Close Encounters expansion. I ordered immmediately today when I found out about the 2nd expansion, and also ordered Talon immediately on hearing about it. Great stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNamara
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, easy decision. I couldn't believe what I was seeing in the GMT email, a new SE4X expansion?! Excellent. I don't have a game group right now, and am unsure of when I will get this treasure on the table again, but regardless I must have this expansion.

Replicators!!

Listing this as a great teaching expansion was a definite perk for me. It is a simple game to teach, but if a player doesn't have to do the production sheet for their team, that makes it even easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jim! Sounds like I need it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Microbadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: My drinks don't just taste good, they look good doing it.Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: Whiskey drinker
pavobueno wrote:
Chanfan wrote:

That's a shame, Michael. You are missing out on a really cool game experience, especially when played with the Close Encounters expansion. I ordered immmediately today when I found out about the 2nd expansion, and also ordered Talon immediately on hearing about it. Great stuff!
Oh, I quite agree - I'm a fan of the Space 4x genre. TI:3, Eclipse, Glactic Emperor, Ascending Empires, Stellar Conquest, Hegemonic are all sitting about. Hegemonic hasn't hit the table yet, but it's got the excuse of having just showed up.

I do feel like it will make it, hopefully sooner rather than later…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. Can I ask for a big favor? Can we get the expansion in a bigger box so that we can fit ALL of the game in it? The Command & Color: Ancients size would be nice.

Pretty please??? kiss kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quote:
Can we get the expansion in a bigger box so that we can fit ALL of the game in it?
I don't know if that will work. Right now, with counter storage, the boxes for the first two hold everything for me. I'm trying to picture the box size needed to hold everything from the first two, plus all the tiles and new counters from this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:
Can we get the expansion in a bigger box so that we can fit ALL of the game in it?
I don't know if that will work. Right now, with counter storage, the boxes for the first two hold everything for me. I'm trying to picture the box size needed to hold everything from the first two, plus all the tiles and new counters from this one.
C&C: Napoleonics or Combat Commander: Pacific box size would be nice. Plano boxes will do the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
Microbadge: Casual wargamerMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Motörhead fan
I wish we could get a box big enough to fit everything into too! Currently I have all counters (in plano boxes) in one box and the map and paperwork in the other. Having to carry around 3 boxes would make me think twice if I really need to bring it if I go to play at somebody else's house.

How about a double-height box for the expansion to at least fit all the counters in? That way everything will still fit into two boxes total.
I'm not sure what box-sizes GMT usually uses though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |