Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

I'm currently looking for playtesters for The Ancient World. What mostly needs testing is balance and rulebook clarity at this point.

As a quick overview, The Ancient World is a civ-building card game with worker-placement. Players build up civilizations and fight ancient titans. 2-4 players, 90 minute playtime.

Please see the details below:

-If you are interested in being a playtester, please send an email to playtest@redravengames.com. Include the following information: Name, current state/country of residence, how often you play games, the number of players you would most often be playing The Ancient World with, your favorite games.

-If you are selected, you will receive one of my prototype copies in the mail. The cards are printed by Superior POD, and much of the art is finished. I ask that you play the game at least 5 times and give little reports of your observations. If you play 10 or more times, I will send you a copy of the finished game. If you find yourself unable to play the game at all, or only able to play 1 time, I might ask you to ship the game elsewhere.

-When you play a game session, please write comments here on the BGG The Ancient World forums. It's best if you can include this information: Number of players, final scores, general feelings/thoughts, balance issues. These reports can be super short if you prefer, like 3 sentences.

-You must be willing to update your copy of the game on occasion. Most likely, this would include taking a sharpie to a few cards to change numbers.

-I would also appreciate comments on rules clarity/ questions that came up in the game that weren't covered in the rules.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the help.

Update: Thank you very much for the great response! I'm closing tester submissions for now and will be sending out emails soon.

IMPORTANT: In the rulebook, I forgot to say that the "Recruit" action has the same special rule as the "Build" action. Players may place citizens that have a lower number than citizen already on the action card, but the cost to place a number that is not already there is 1 coin (unless no citizens are on the card).

PHASE 2 Please post new playtesting reports and thoughts on this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/14591606#14591606
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Playtesters!

I just wanted to let you know I sent out some copies today, so they should arrive soon. There are just a few things to note:

- You'll need to cut out the player boards.

- There is one extra card included called the "Titan Sample Card" or something. This is just to show what the final Titan cards will look like.

- In the rules, where it says "Glossary" I meant "Index", and I forgot to finish this, so the subjects are missing page numbers.

- You can post your playtest session notes or other comments in this thread, or if you prefer you can make a new thread.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SWEET! I am super pumped. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Isch
United States
chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Can't wait either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine! Looking forward to tearing into it. Thanks again, Ryan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, after a read-through of the rules, I have a couple questions.

Concerning citizens and skill levels, I was confused about the terms "higher" and "lower". Is 1 high or low? So if I want to place my 2 skill worker on an action, like Expand, that already has a 3 skill citizen, could I do it? Would the terms "greater than" or "less than" be better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuckWilde wrote:
Ok, after a read-through of the rules, I have a couple questions.

Concerning citizens and skill levels, I was confused about the terms "higher" and "lower". Is 1 high or low? So if I want to place my 2 skill worker on an action, like Expand, that already has a 3 skill citizen, could I do it? Would the terms "greater than" or "less than" be better?

1 is low, so in the example, you couldn't place a 2 on Expand if it had a 3. Maybe it would be better said "greater than".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Ok. Now it makes sense. When I read the Grow section, this part confused me: "The player takes a Citizen token in his color in the lowest Skill number possible. For example, if the player had Citizen tokens with a Skill of 1,2, and 3, he would gain the Citizen token with a skill of 4."

The way I read that is that 4 is lower than 1,2, and 3, but it just means you get citizen 4 before citizen 5. Now I get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Isch
United States
chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 1 - 2 questions

1 - the player board for the capital-city. Do the symbols indicate that each player gets 3 food, 5 coin and 2 army capacity at the end of a round? Or do these symbols indicate something different?

2 - If a player has a starving citizen, do they lose a VP at the end of each round, or just at the end of the game? If they lose it immediately after a round, how do you keep track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greasygoblin wrote:
Session 1 - 2 questions

1 - the player board for the capital-city. Do the symbols indicate that each player gets 3 food, 5 coin and 2 army capacity at the end of a round? Or do these symbols indicate something different?

2 - If a player has a starving citizen, do they lose a VP at the end of each round, or just at the end of the game? If they lose it immediately after a round, how do you keep track?

1- Capital City: yes, the symbols indicate that the player starts with 3 food (to support your 3 citizens), 2 army capacity (so you can start with the 2 military cards), and gains 5 coins per round (at the end of the round).

2- The player loses VP per starving citizen at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:
greasygoblin wrote:
Session 1 - 2 questions

1- Capital City: yes, the symbols indicate that the player starts with 3 food (to support your 3 citizens), 2 army capacity (so you can start with the 2 military cards), and gains 5 coins per round (at the end of the round).

2- The player loses VP per starving citizen at the end of the game.

To make sure, the punishment for not being able to feed a citizen at the end of a *round* is not being able to use the citizen during the next round. The punishment for not being able to feed a citizen at the end of the *game* is negative victory points, to squash a last round starvation strategy. Correct?

Also, to be 100% sure, I can only "revive" a starving citizen in between rounds? For example, if I obtain more food in the middle of a round, I still don't get to use that citizen, right? The "food check" is *only* done between rounds, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brianmbe wrote:

To make sure, the punishment for not being able to feed a citizen at the end of a *round* is not being able to use the citizen during the next round. The punishment for not being able to feed a citizen at the end of the *game* is negative victory points, to squash a last round starvation strategy. Correct?

Also, to be 100% sure, I can only "revive" a starving citizen in between rounds? For example, if I obtain more food in the middle of a round, I still don't get to use that citizen, right? The "food check" is *only* done between rounds, yes?

Yes, the punishment for not being able to feed a citizen at the end of the round is that you cannot use the citizen on the next round. The punishment for not being able to feed at the end of the game is negative vp.

Also correct. Even if you get more food mid-round, you cannot use the starving citizen until next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first run-through of a full game. I played it solo, running 2 players, so I don't think I can officially count it as one of my plays. Hopefully my wife and I can play it tonight.

One player focused solely on attacking titans, and the other focused on income/knowledge/building.

The final score was 28-19. The titan killer side demolished titans left and right and retired military personnel before they got too expensive. He never explored, grew, or expanded, since the titans gave him more than enough capacity.

The builder didn't actually build all that much, which I realize could have been speed up with more workers, exploring, and expanding.

Overall, I had a good time. I love the theme, I love the art (although some of it is not finished, I can't wait to see the finished stuff), and I think it will be easier to teach than it was to learn from the rulebook. The game did slow at the very end, since at one point, I knew I couldn't really do anything. Other than that, I am looking forward to playing this again and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the package. I haven't had a chance to do anything else with it yet. It looks interesting and the rules seemed to make sense at first glance. I'll probably be able to play it tomorrow or Saturday for the first time (and likely will do a solo two player run-through first so I can be familiar with the rules/play before trying to teach someone).

At first glance, the art looks pretty good and if the final quality is similar to the 8 Minute Empire quality, the components should be really nice when produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received and punched. I will be reading the rules tonight and hopefully get my first game in tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about Spy Hideout, an Empire B card. It has a card action on it and it reads "Place top land on bottom, then attack." I have no idea what that means. Any clarification would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuckWilde wrote:
Question about Spy Hideout, an Empire B card. It has a card action on it and it reads "Place top land on bottom, then attack." I have no idea what that means. Any clarification would be great.

This should say "Place an unclaimed, face-up Titan card on the bottom of its deck, then you may attack the next card in the deck (if you can)."

...I can see this card needs revision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ancient World Playtest
Ben Garbe (1)

I apologize in advance for what is probably going to be a LONG post, but I’ve got a quite a few questions/comments after my first play and that’s what this whole playtesting thing is about, right?

First of all, the results!

BG: 2 Red + 6 Yellow + 0 Blue + 6 Green + 8 Purple + 3 Bonus = 25
AG: 0 Red + 11 Yellow + 4 Blue + 1 Green + 8 Purple + 0 Bonus = 24

A veeery close game, but I was able to come away with the victory (was 1 coin short of building a stored empire that would’ve earned me another 4 VP too…)

Our thoughts...

My wife (Amy) and I both liked the game a lot and thought it worked well with 2 players. I’m anxious to try it with more players as it seems like that would create more competition for some of the action spaces. Amy noted that “I felt like I could always do what I wanted to do” and besides the last round (when I couldn’t build my stored building because my last remaining worker didn’t match the FOUR workers that were already there…) I agree. In hindsight, I should have used the higher skill requirement to my advantage and blocked Amy from taking the Grow Action in Round 4 so it’s definitely something we’ll have to explore more in the future—we were both too nice this first game devil

In terms of different strategies, military definitely can’t be ignored as defeating Titans is a really efficient way to collect tribal banners, but Empire building is a viable strategy as well (I went heavy on military while Amy built more Empires and things were very even). The different Empires provides different paths to victory as well. For example, Amy had an Empire that gave her 1 Knowledge at the end of every round (something I struggled to collect all game). On the other hand, I collected piles of money at the end of every round (something Amy was short on all game). Neither of us really took advantage of the available Districts (Amy acquired one) so that’ll have to be something we explore more in future games.

And now, for the questions...

1) Why gain 1 coin as a result of a Titan battle? (perhaps this should be explained in the rulebook as the name “Damage Die” is a bit misleading)

2) Can a player collect more than 6 of a single tribal banner? If so, how is that scored?

3) If a player must starve 1 or more of their workers during a round, do they get to decide which workers to starve? (for example, could I starve my “1” skilled worker in order to keep my “4” skilled worker available that round?)

4) Regarding the player boards, what should be the “base” income at the end of each round: 3 (as shown in the rulebook) or 5 (as shown on the board)? (We assumed 5 and that seemed to work well in our game)

5) Similar to number 4 above, what is the penalty for starved workers at the end of the game? (the rulebook and player boards show -1 VP, but I think you mentioned it should be -3 VP when responding to an earlier question in this thread)

6) An Empire card read “+1 coin when you gain land”. What does “land” refer to?

7) Are District/Titan cards replaced immediately after they are purchased/defeated or only at the end of the round (like Empire/Military cards)?

8) Is Phase 3: End of Round performed as normal after Round 6 (before final scoring)? (I’m assuming the answer is yes but I just wanted to be sure)

9) Is there a limit to the number of Empires a player can store at one time? (I'm not referring to "Capacity" but the cards kept below the player board after performing the Explore action)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:
The Ancient World Playtest
Ben Garbe (1)

I apologize in advance for what is probably going to be a LONG post, but I’ve got a quite a few questions/comments after my first play and that’s what this whole playtesting thing is about, right?

First of all, the results!

BG: 2 Red + 6 Yellow + 0 Blue + 6 Green + 8 Purple + 3 Bonus = 25
AG: 0 Red + 11 Yellow + 4 Blue + 1 Green + 8 Purple + 0 Bonus = 24

A veeery close game, but I was able to come away with the victory (was 1 coin short of building a stored empire that would’ve earned me another 4 VP too…)

Our thoughts...

My wife (Amy) and I both liked the game a lot and thought it worked well with 2 players. I’m anxious to try it with more players as it seems like that would create more competition for some of the action spaces. Amy noted that “I felt like I could always do what I wanted to do” and besides the last round (when I couldn’t build my stored building because my last remaining worker didn’t match the FOUR workers that were already there…) I agree. In hindsight, I should have used the higher skill requirement to my advantage and blocked Amy from taking the Grow Action in Round 4 so it’s definitely something we’ll have to explore more in the future—we were both too nice this first game devil

Cool! I'm happy you like the game. Also, thanks for posting your scoring details.

Quote:
In terms of different strategies, military definitely can’t be ignored as defeating Titans is a really efficient way to collect tribal banners, but Empire building is a viable strategy as well (I went heavy on military while Amy built more Empires and things were very even). The different Empires provides different paths to victory as well. For example, Amy had an Empire that gave her 1 Knowledge at the end of every round (something I struggled to collect all game). On the other hand, I collected piles of money at the end of every round (something Amy was short on all game). Neither of us really took advantage of the available Districts (Amy acquired one) so that’ll have to be something we explore more in future games.

And now, for the questions...

1) Why gain 1 coin as a result of a Titan battle? (perhaps this should be explained in the rulebook as the name “Damage Die” is a bit misleading)

I've been thinking of changing this for a while, actually. It seems like players get enough of a bonus from attacking Titans already. I might cut it altogether.

Quote:

2) Can a player collect more than 6 of a single tribal banner? If so, how is that scored?

Yes, but the extra tribal banner beyond 6 give no extra victory points (unless of course you had an Empire card that gives points "per tribe banner").

Quote:

3) If a player must starve 1 or more of their workers during a round, do they get to decide which workers to starve? (for example, could I starve my “1” skilled worker in order to keep my “4” skilled worker available that round?)

Yes, you can choose to give food to the upper class and starve the peasants.

Quote:

4) Regarding the player boards, what should be the “base” income at the end of each round: 3 (as shown in the rulebook) or 5 (as shown on the board)? (We assumed 5 and that seemed to work well in our game)

Base income is 5.

Quote:

5) Similar to number 4 above, what is the penalty for starved workers at the end of the game? (the rulebook and player boards show -1 VP, but I think you mentioned it should be -3 VP when responding to an earlier question in this thread)

At this point it is -1, but that might change.

Quote:

6) An Empire card read “+1 coin when you gain land”. What does “land” refer to?

This is a mistake. It should say "+1 coin when you gain a Titan card".

Quote:

7) Are District/Titan cards replaced immediately after they are purchased/defeated or only at the end of the round (like Empire/Military cards)?

District/Titan cards are replaced immediately.

Quote:

8) Is Phase 3: End of Round performed as normal after Round 6 (before final scoring)? (I’m assuming the answer is yes but I just wanted to be sure)

Yes.

Quote:

9) Is there a limit to the number of Empires a player can store at one time? (I'm not referring to "Capacity" but the cards kept below the player board after performing the Explore action)

There is no limit to the amount of cards a player can store, and no penalty for storing them.

Thanks very much for playing and for your comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan G
United States
Clovis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first play-thru is complete! Overall I very much like the game, you have a lot of choices you can make on your turn (it felt like too many choices sometimes) and as a previous poster noted, I can see where having more than two players would lessen the number of choices you have to make each round since there would be more competition for the available actions.

Here are the results for the game.

Player 1 Red=8 Yellow=8 Green=4 Blue=4 Purple=1 Bonus=0 Total=25
Player 2 Red=0 Yellow=6 Green=11 Blue=2 Purple=2 Bonus=6 Total=27

Again, a very close game. Player 1 was much more diversified on the tribal banners he collected but what won it for Player 2 was being able to pick up the Palace card in the last round bumping him up to six green banners and getting him six bonus points as well.

One observation I had was that toward the end of the game we were starting to run low on coin tokens, we never ran out completely but it was also only a two player game. (By the way, I got a kick out of seeing the Eight Minute Empire coin board when I opened the box.) Perhaps a system more like EME: Legends where some of the coins have a higher value would work. For future games I may grab the coins from my copy of Legends, especially if it's going to be more than two players.

Now for the questions.

1) If a player has used all his armies for the round but then recruits a new military card and retires one of the active ones, can he then attack again since the new military card now has no coin tokens on it?

2) I noticed a few cards that say "When adjacent gains ____ / you gain ____." I assume that means when an adjacent player gains the item you get whatever the stated reward is?

3) Tied into the above question, if the card says "When adjacent gains knowledge/you gain coin" does that mean any and every time they gain the knowledge I get a coin? For example, if they are gaining three knowledge in the end of round phase, do I get three coin?

4) A few of the cards mention "land," from the previous answers to some questions I am assuming "land" always refers to Titans?

5) Cards that mention "When building, you may replace old empire cards for -4 cost on new card," can I do that more than once? Can I get rid of two of my Empire cards to have -8 to the cost of a new one? If I have two cards with that effect do they stack so that every one Empire card I replace is now -8 to the cost of the new one?

6) One of the Districts states "Gain a coin when you gain capacity." Is that one coin per capacity you gain, or just one coin for gaining any amount of capacity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:
garbagerunner wrote:

I've been thinking of changing this for a while, actually. It seems like players get enough of a bonus from attacking Titans already. I might cut it altogether.

I actually really like the concept of the Damage Die and while I personally don't care I know some gamers would want to know the "thematic" reason behind gaining that coin

The Damage Die actually had a significant impact in our first game. Since I went with a Titan-heavy strategy and only had 4 Empires at the end of the game, each time I rolled a broken column and took damage it was a pretty major blow (at one point I had 2 of my then 3 Empires damaged and I was forced to take the Rebuild action that round or else starve 1 of my workers the next round!) Meanwhile, Amy finished with twice as many Empires and she had more options when choosing which to flip over in the event she sustained damage.

I think it's a really clever way to balance the Titans vs. the other available strategies

Here's a few other comments I had that I didn't get a chance to include in last night's write-up:

1) Fantastic artwork (as always!) especially considering it's still just a prototype. I've been watching the "Something from Nothing" videos lately and recently stumbled on the episode you were on. I found it interesting that you do the artwork WHILE designing the game instead of all at the end. I guess we can thank that mentality for the great looking prototype

Some rulebook observations...

2) It is my understanding that "Army" and "Military" are two different terms where Army refers to the aggregate of all retired and active Military cards in a single column. If that is correct, I think that needs to be clarified in the rules and perhaps the following change could be made:

(from pg. 8) "To attack, the player must pay coins to one or more military cards he owns armies he controls."

3) Capacity is briefly discussed for the first time at the top of pg. 12 but isn't really mentioned anywhere else. Perhaps the following change(s) could be made for clarity:

(from pg. 12) "Capacity is granted by District cards and Titans cards (located in the upper right corner)" [include picture??]

4) Regarding the Recruit action, perhaps the following change(s) could be made for clarity:

(from pg. 12) "Most military cards are free, but some have a cost, located in the upper right corner below the legacy ability preview." [include picture??]

5) The Action Cards indicate that the Recruit action has the same "Special Rule" as the Build action, but this was not shown in the rulebook in the Recruit section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Manning
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Got the package today. We'll give it a try tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naginata wrote:
The first play-thru is complete! Overall I very much like the game, you have a lot of choices you can make on your turn (it felt like too many choices sometimes) and as a previous poster noted, I can see where having more than two players would lessen the number of choices you have to make each round since there would be more competition for the available actions.

I'm happy to hear you like it. Thanks for playing!

Quote:

Here are the results for the game.

Player 1 Red=8 Yellow=8 Green=4 Blue=4 Purple=1 Bonus=0 Total=25
Player 2 Red=0 Yellow=6 Green=11 Blue=2 Purple=2 Bonus=6 Total=27

Again, a very close game. Player 1 was much more diversified on the tribal banners he collected but what won it for Player 2 was being able to pick up the Palace card in the last round bumping him up to six green banners and getting him six bonus points as well.

One observation I had was that toward the end of the game we were starting to run low on coin tokens, we never ran out completely but it was also only a two player game. (By the way, I got a kick out of seeing the Eight Minute Empire coin board when I opened the box.) Perhaps a system more like EME: Legends where some of the coins have a higher value would work. For future games I may grab the coins from my copy of Legends, especially if it's going to be more than two players.

I suspected there wouldn't be enough coin tokens. I think you're right about adding higher value tokens. I'll probably have to go with 2 punchboards to get all the pieces in the game.

Quote:

Now for the questions.

1) If a player has used all his armies for the round but then recruits a new military card and retires one of the active ones, can he then attack again since the new military card now has no coin tokens on it?

Yes.

Quote:

2) I noticed a few cards that say "When adjacent gains ____ / you gain ____." I assume that means when an adjacent player gains the item you get whatever the stated reward is?

Yes, it means the adjacent player. I'll add that on the cards.

Quote:

3) Tied into the above question, if the card says "When adjacent gains knowledge/you gain coin" does that mean any and every time they gain the knowledge I get a coin? For example, if they are gaining three knowledge in the end of round phase, do I get three coin?

Yes.

Quote:

4) A few of the cards mention "land," from the previous answers to some questions I am assuming "land" always refers to Titans?

Yes, this is a mistake. Land=Titans

Quote:

5) Cards that mention "When building, you may replace old empire cards for -4 cost on new card," can I do that more than once? Can I get rid of two of my Empire cards to have -8 to the cost of a new one? If I have two cards with that effect do they stack so that every one Empire card I replace is now -8 to the cost of the new one?

Yes, the effects stack. No, this ability may only be used to replace 1 card per new card.

Quote:

6) One of the Districts states "Gain a coin when you gain capacity." Is that one coin per capacity you gain, or just one coin for gaining any amount of capacity?

One coin for gaining any amount of capacity.

Thank you for your comments/questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:
mechanicalfish wrote:
garbagerunner wrote:

I actually really like the concept of the Damage Die and while I personally don't care I know some gamers would want to know the "thematic" reason behind gaining that coin

Yeah, I'd like to keep the damage die, but I might remove the "gain coin" face.

Quote:

The Damage Die actually had a significant impact in our first game. Since I went with a Titan-heavy strategy and only had 4 Empires at the end of the game, each time I rolled a broken column and took damage it was a pretty major blow (at one point I had 2 of my then 3 Empires damaged and I was forced to take the Rebuild action that round or else starve 1 of my workers the next round!) Meanwhile, Amy finished with twice as many Empires and she had more options when choosing which to flip over in the event she sustained damage.

I think it's a really clever way to balance the Titans vs. the other available strategies

That's good to hear. I'm happy this is working.

Quote:

Here's a few other comments I had that I didn't get a chance to include in last night's write-up:

1) Fantastic artwork (as always!) especially considering it's still just a prototype. I've been watching the "Something from Nothing" videos lately and recently stumbled on the episode you were on. I found it interesting that you do the artwork WHILE designing the game instead of all at the end. I guess we can thank that mentality for the great looking prototype

Thank you! This game has actually had a really long development time compared to my other games, and it still seems there are lots of illustrations to finish.
Quote:

Some rulebook observations...

2) It is my understanding that "Army" and "Military" are two different terms where Army refers to the aggregate of all retired and active Military cards in a single column. If that is correct, I think that needs to be clarified in the rules and perhaps the following change could be made:

(from pg. 8) "To attack, the player must pay coins to one or more military cards he owns armies he controls."

This is clearer. I will change it.
Quote:

3) Capacity is briefly discussed for the first time at the top of pg. 12 but isn't really mentioned anywhere else. Perhaps the following change(s) could be made for clarity:

(from pg. 12) "Capacity is granted by District cards and Titans cards (located in the upper right corner)" [include picture??]

Yes, this should be clearer.

Quote:

4) Regarding the Recruit action, perhaps the following change(s) could be made for clarity:

(from pg. 12) "Most military cards are free, but some have a cost, located in the upper right corner below the legacy ability preview." [include picture??]

I will change this as well.

Quote:

5) The Action Cards indicate that the Recruit action has the same "Special Rule" as the Build action, but this was not shown in the rulebook in the Recruit section.

Oh, I forgot to add this. They have the same "Special Rule". Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMPORTANT: In the rulebook, I forgot to say that the "Recruit" action has the same special rule as the "Build" action. Players may place citizens that have a lower number than citizens already on the action card, but the cost to place a number that is not already there is 1 coin (unless no citizens are on the card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.