Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Availability at retail? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that this is arriving for kickstarter buyers, when might it show up at my FLGS, or online retailers?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Kazmark
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was confirmed that it was already shipped to some distributors (Germany I think) and slipped out to some game stores in the same location already One of the Kick Starter guys bought his first ship at a store before he got his rewards. So I suspect and hope you won't have to wait too long. I will take guilty pleasure in hoping I get my rewards before you can buy them of a shelf though
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Well put. A single shipment should NOT go to distributors before it goes to KS backers. I understand that some retailers bought packages through KS and definitely deserve theirs in line with the rest of the backers, but distributors getting their before KS backers would be a slap in the face to those of us who laid out money months ago. It's not called "Rewards" for nothing!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Kazmark
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It happens. Ares already said that the whole thing was a big learning process for them. Communication has been good even with the delays.I have been please so far.

Sadly I kind of suspect there is some other issue that is holding up shipping that has not been talked about yet. Not sure what that might be and I hate to speculate. Either way they I have faith they will work it out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The "upcoming" page on Ares' site says January 2014:

http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

January is not too much far away.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakaku, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
magnusofnarnia wrote:
Sadly I kind of suspect there is some other issue that is holding up shipping that has not been talked about yet.
Doubtful, normal stuff associated with putting together 1200 diverse packages with an overworked staff during the holidays would seem to be more than enough reason for shipping to slow down, especially near the end when the more complex orders have to be put together.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Kazmark
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is certainly true. Either way I won't be upset about the process until one of my non-kick starter friends shows up to gaming night with the game and I am still waiting
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Stecchi
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
The "upcoming" page on Ares' site says January 2014:

http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

January is not too much far away.


Hi Andrea,

what about your fellow italians?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those that ordered the game with the Red Glove offer during KS, will receive it directly from Ares instead at the same conditions.
For the following distribution, I do not know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as we know, the only product that was mistakenly shipped before the street date is a small batch of ships and accessories (without Starter Sets), through the German distributor.

The rest will be shipped to distributors as soon as the KS shipments are completed - they are progressing, but definitely the holiday season has a negative impact on the speed of our warehouse, and they are also trying to prevent errors in the shipments - with an error rate less than 0.05% until now. Accuracy and speed rarely go well together (in Italian, "Presto e Bene, Raro Avviene...")


2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
"Presto e Bene, Raro Avviene..."

Haraka haraka haina baraka, for our international backers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
Well put. A single shipment should NOT go to distributors before it goes to KS backers. I understand that some retailers bought packages through KS and definitely deserve theirs in line with the rest of the backers, but distributors getting their before KS backers would be a slap in the face to those of us who laid out money months ago. It's not called "Rewards" for nothing!
And the guy from Germany who brought up this fact, that there was already retailing going on got treated very rudely for his reporting it (accused of being a troll in fact).

Fans can call the communications responsible, but retailing before we all get our packages was claimed to have been an impossibility!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyXwire wrote:
And the guy from Germany who brought up this fact, that there was already retailing going on got treated very rudely for his reporting it (accused of being a troll in fact).

Fans can call the communications responsible, but retailing before we all get our packages was claimed to have been an impossibility!

Ares never claimed it was an impossibility. And the guy from Germany didn't simply "bring up this fact," - he was rather rude in his own right.

Quote:

Mueller 3 days ago
I have my first Ship !
But i bought it at the local gamestore!
Why did i pay you a lot of money in advance when the stores get the stuff before the kickstarters do?
The only thing i have recieved from you is a N/A Mail.
Thats not very much i got for my money yet!
This was surly the first and verylast time i spent money on a Kickstarter Project.
I am truely disapointed.

This isn't just "reporting" the fact - he was very critical of Ares for circumstances they had no control over - and for which Mueller just made assumptions and accusations without knowing the facts underlying the situation. That's why people responded as they did - NOT because he simply reported that his FLGS had ships for sale.

This doesn't justify the rudeness of others, but the context of their reactions is important.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenLaborMike, do you work for Ares, or an affiliate?

Do you work for the distribution chain fulfilling the SoG KS orders, and/or in shipping the product to retailers?

GreenLaborMike wrote:
Ares never claimed it was an impossibility. And the guy from Germany didn't simply "bring up this fact," - he was rather rude in his own right.


GreenLaborMike wrote:
This isn't just "reporting" the fact - he was very critical of Ares for circumstances they had no control over - and for which Mueller just made assumptions and accusations without knowing the facts underlying the situation. That's why people responded as they did - NOT because he simply reported that his FLGS had ships for sale.


http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sails-of-glor...

GreenLaborMike wrote:
This isn't just "reporting" the fact - he was very critical of Ares for circumstances they had no control over - and for which Mueller just made assumptions and accusations without knowing the facts underlying the situation. That's why people responded as they did - NOT because he simply reported that his FLGS had ships for sale.

"Critical" ouch, when Mr. Mueller saw the SoG ships available for retail sale before he had even received his own KS delivery? Well yes, those are the facts, and no, it wasn't IMPOSSIBLE that retailers have taken stock now, and have even sold it before KS campaign contributors have received all their shipments. And now Ares is aware of the situation due to this one guy raising a flag, and who actually stated what he knows happened first-hand.

Life is rich!
2 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyXwire wrote:
GreenLaborMike, do you work for Ares, or an affiliate?

No, I don't. I stand corrected on the literal statement. I was wrong.

I will simply point out that even Ares' comment that it would be "IMPOSSIBLE" was qualified by their later explanation that they had provided "strict instructions" to the warehouse. As always, context is important. Anyone reading their entire statement could see the context in which they said it was "impossible," was not, given a moment's consideration, actually impossible.

As for Mueller's comment, his actual words from his first comment are all you need to look at. I never denied that he pointed out facts. I stated that the manner in which he "reported" the facts was also filled by implicit and/or unsubstantiated accusations against Ares. It was these inflammatory statements that people reacted to, not the reporting of the facts itself.

In contrast, for example, Mueller could have stated "@Ares - I was at my local game shop, and they had SoG ships for sale. I actually purchased one. They stated that they were not KS backers, so you may want to investigate how they came to have SoG ships for sale so soon. I will send you their information directly." If that had been Mueller's "reporting", or anything even remotely that neutral, I have no doubt that Mueller would not have been flamed by others.

As I mentioned previously, I don't condone how others reacted. I am simply pointing out that Mueller could have handled the "facts" very differently and received a very different reaction from others.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These reports of delivery & retailing anomalies were promptly indicated:



http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sails-of-glor...

Markus Degen indicated this immediately after my comment posted 3 days ago.

Life can be rich, and especially so if you keep it simple (hopefully fact-based).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what your point is, but it only confirms my contention about the tone of Mueller's comments. Neither Markus Degen or you were flamed, and certainly not to the extent that Mueller was. Degen's message was quite neutral in comparison to Mueller's.

The one critical comment by Mr. Mazza that followed Degen's and your comments was not directed at either of you, and was itself quickly criticized by at least one other (Mr. Manley).

So I stand by my point. When backers report information neutrally, they are less likely to get flamed. Mueller's initial comment was not neutral, and certainly not as neutral as Mr. Degen's.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakaku, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"to our best knowledge is just IMPOSSIBLE that at this point a retailer has stuff. "
Sorry guys, but this does not say it 'is' impossible, although it does suggest the intention to make it impossible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well HAPPY NEW YEARS.

(nothing neutral about that)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyXwire wrote:
Well HAPPY NEW YEARS.

(nothing neutral about that)


Happy New year back...and good gaming to all!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyXwire wrote:
Well HAPPY NEW YEARS.

(nothing neutral about that)


Happy New Year to all! And I wish for many entertaining sessions of Sails of Glory to everyone in 2014!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN CURRY
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Don't flirt with her
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While the Kickstarter system may not be the best thing ever, it does keep me coming back. It seems to fill a void where I feel like I am getting something special for backing a project. It is far from perfect and it is not a retail store and we all (self included)seem to have the idea that the companies that are running campaigns should act like retail stores. Sure the there are lots of things that are 'promised' on kickstarter, but in reality these are just hopeful expectations.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter+basics#faq_4...

We should probably assume that we are gambling with our investments on kickstarter anyhow, so relax and the products will hopefully arrive. Remember the original estimate of delivery was late August. So I would say that most 'promises' on a kickstater project are more guidelines than actual rules.

God bless and Happy new year to all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Stusse
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
This was an emotionally charged, well hyped game, that people invested it in well in advance.

Keith on the Achorage says he has his retail order, but not his KS.

Look, I like WoG and Ares as a game company and I know I'm going to play lots of SoG). But, there was some extremely poor planning and coordination, that allowed distributors and retailers to received merchandise that has to sit in a store room until Jan 17th, until the last of the KS people get their stuff on the 16th (I'm sure mine will be in that shipment). People are angry and they have the right to be. I back another KS, and totally forgot me. They are still investigating what happened to my stuff, and I backed for more than even SoG.

Now look, distrubutors and retailers are getting stock, but as of today I can't confirm a single Commodore level has received their KS back rewards. In lieu of the holidays, this should have been a priority. I agree that Ares can't control the werehouse, but hmmmmm, aren't they the purse strings. Ares is the Werehouse's customer. I have a heavily hyped and anticipated product and I've been holding these peoples moiney since April, they get their stuff first - period! You don't need an ethics course to know that is the right thing to do and good customer service.

We're all going to have to just get over it. But, I have to say, I am now leary of KS also. Burned once, and not real happy on another, I agree wait and buy retail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Zembrzuski
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the KS because I like Ares and believed this would be a good game and wanted to see it get produced sooner rather than later. Plus for exclusive ships. Not because I wanted to get the game before most people or to get it for less. I mean so what! It's the same game whether you got it before or after the next person! Life's to short. Just enjoy the game and be happy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakaku, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lincolnlog wrote:
People are angry and they have the right to be.
Disagree, unless you mean angry at themselves for getting involved in a system that they don't understand. As investors, we can really only hope for a good outcome. Things change during development. We're lucky that our product has changed for the better, rather than for the worse.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |