Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Am I correct in reading that only missiles are expended when firing? Does that count for the missile rack as well, or just the external tactical nuclear missiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two types of missiles - Internal and External.

When you fire an external missile x it off.

When you fire an internal missile x it off. BUT!!!

An internal missile needs a missile rack to fire. A missile rack can be targeted and destroyed.

So.... you can fire as many internal missiles as you have and have racks for per turn.

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
think of missile racks as a rifle with a magazine of "internal" missiles..... you can fire once per missile rack per turn until all the internal missiles are expended.... note you can only fire a missile rack once per turn, so if you use one in an Overrun attack you cannot then use it in the fire phase

"Missiles" are one shot weapons and can all be fired at once or one at a time or any combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. Example.

A Mark III-B has 4 external missiles. So it could fire one to four missiles in a turn but once a missile is fired it is gone. The same as destroyed.

A Mark VI has 6 (six) External Missiles and 3 (three) Missile Racks (ouch). As you first the External Missiles cross them off (you could fire all six in one turn) and 3 racks. A missile rack draws from the 12 internal missiles so as you fire the racks you cross off the internal missiles.

A brand new Mark VI could fire 9 missiles the first turn then 3 missiles every turn after that until the internals are gone.

But, as above, the rack can be target and destroyed but not the internal missiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks the quick reply, I've got it.

I haven't played since I was 10 or so, thirty years ago. It's funny what I've retained and what I have forgotten

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
And just to clarify, only missiles are expended. The batteries and AP weapons are inexhaustible unless that weapon is destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
TheJarvin wrote:
And just to clarify, only missiles are expended. The batteries and AP weapons are inexhaustible unless that weapon is destroyed?

That is correct. Likewise, essentially all non-OGRE units (is the cruise missile crawler in the new OGRE?) have inexhaustible ammo, and I realise I'm inviting a correction here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
TheJarvin wrote:

That is correct. Likewise, essentially all non-OGRE units (is the cruise missile crawler in the new OGRE?) have inexhaustible ammo, and I realise I'm inviting a correction here...

Cruise missile crawler is one shot. Once it fires the cruise missile it has no more to shoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
...But, as above, the rack can be target and destroyed but not the internal missiles.

An excellent example, Ken. However, I thought I read that if a Missile rack is destroyed, one internal missile is destroyed with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
...But, as above, the rack can be target and destroyed but not the internal missiles.

An excellent example, Ken. However, I thought I read that if a Missile rack is destroyed, one internal missile is destroyed with it.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Today we played the scenario The Day Before in which the OGRE player(me) has 20 cruise missiles from off board.

Can the Laser Tower only shoot once as the missile tracks across the map?

We're we correct in understanding that every unit can shoot once provided the missile is in range?

Between the missiles reaching their targets and a couple of 6 rolls for premature detonation on my part I devastated him (due in part to poor rolls on his part). Just want to make certain we were playing correctly, seemed a little unbalanced.

To clarify, we were using the +3 to dice rolls for the defender, he just rolled amazingly poorly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hancoski
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah I feel like I am doing something wrong in this scenario as well

None of the missiles have any chance of reaching there target.

Questions

Do howitzers get to shoot the missiles ? as far as I can tell the rules say yes but this seems silly.

Lasers get to shoot at every missile that enters the map even if you fire 20 missiles on the first round right ?

That means 50% chance the laser shoots it down right away, and there is a 1 in 6 chance that the missile will blow up right then and there.

Infantry units can shoot at a missile when it gets in range and can shoot at each missile that gets in range that turn ? I think

I must be doing something wrong because none of the missiles will ever hit anything in the "The day before" scenario if you play the way i am playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehancoski wrote:
Yeah I feel like I am doing something wrong in this scenario as well

None of the missiles have any chance of reaching there target.

Note that the missiles don't all have to be fired on Turn 1. They can be fired on any of the Ogre's turns (during the fire phase), in any combination.

Please see the Tactical hints provided with the scenario:

- Two-thirds or more of the missiles aren't expected to make it through (but even one that makes it can be devastating, possibly even game-winning)

- The trick is to use the Ogre to clear a path for the missiles, and vice versa

- It's even possible to try to kill the Laser Tower before firing the last missile

mikehancoski wrote:
Questions

Do howitzers get to shoot the missiles ? as far as I can tell the rules say yes but this seems silly.

Howitzers in the Ogreverse are actually "missile cannons" (i.e. they fire a guided munition more like a missile than an artillery shell). It's not inconceivable that a smart munition with an airburst or proximity fuse option could intercept a missile.

Note that even present-day ship autocannons have some chance of shooting down a missile e.g. the 76mm Oto Melera gun; I'm not necessarily talking about Phalanx-type weapons.

mikehancoski wrote:
Lasers get to shoot at every missile that enters the map even if you fire 20 missiles on the first round right ?

Yes. See Rule 10.03.1:

"A unit may fire at the missile at any time while the missile is in range, but no unit may fire more than once against any single Cruise Missile" (there's an exception for Ogres)

"If two or more Cruise Missiles are fired during the same turn, each unit in range may attack each missile separately"

mikehancoski wrote:
That means 50% chance the laser shoots it down right away, and there is a 1 in 6 chance that the missile will blow up right then and there.

Yes, there's roughly a 55% chance the laser will kill each missile, unless it's destroyed (or takes 10 points of damage and can't fire: see 12.07) by the Ogre

mikehancoski wrote:
Infantry units can shoot at a missile when it gets in range and can shoot at each missile that gets in range that turn ? I think

Yes, see the rules quote above. Since infantry are so short-ranged, the trick is to clear a path with the Ogre (or pull enough units to one side of the board that there's a clearer path on the other)

mikehancoski wrote:
I must be doing something wrong because none of the missiles will ever hit anything in the "The day before" scenario if you play the way i am playing

I hope the above helps! Even with perfect use of the missiles, there'll be some games where none get through (good interception rolls) and others when enough get through to make a difference.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I took out the laser tower itself with my 4th cruise missile. The defender had spread himself too thin on the western edge giving me a clear path. He missed with both howitzers and the laser itself. The shockwave actually leveled the howitzers.

It was an interesting scenario, but I decimated him before my ogre even engaged his forces (I mean that literally. Between the premature detonation and a hit with the cruise missile itself, I took out ten percent of his military).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.