Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in our first game. AP weapons have a range of one. The Ogre is two hexes so it can be targeted and fire around all these hexs not just the front end correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the rules say that the Ogre only occupies the front hex (last sentence in 3.04).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ogre only "occupies" the front hex. So it may only target the hexes that surround it. Think of the miniatures and battlefield as a Holographic display where not everything is in scale. The Ogres are shown larger because of the threat they represent.

-Rob K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
A woman in a darkened trailer park pawns her flat-screen TV for a shotgun.
badge
Meanwhile, there's a footprint on the moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
Squint. Take three breaths. Close one eye, then raise a single thumb into your field of vision—close to your face, but not too close—until it obscures the ass-end "imaginary" hex not-actually-occupied by the OGRE.

Works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as a wargamer I have to keep reminding myself that AP doesn't mean armour piercing in Ogre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
as a wargamer I have to keep reminding myself that AP doesn't mean armour piercing in Ogre

It could since the troopers are in battlesuits … Nothing says an AP battery can't use AP rounds … they're just human sized and not Armor sized!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GURPS Ogre gives us all the nitty gritty. The "AP" weapons are dual purpose 30mm rail guns firing (typically) HEAT rounds - high explosive anti tank. So they're not armor piercing like the APFSDSDU or SATNUC, but they have some anti-armor capability. They have to, really. "Dual purpose" here indicates that these weapons are used for point defense as well as for infantry, command posts, and anything else that can be destroyed without a nuclear warhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

GURPS Ogre gives us all the nitty gritty. The "AP" weapons are dual purpose 30mm rail guns firing (typically) HEAT rounds - high explosive anti tank. So they're not armor piercing like the APFSDSDU or SATNUC, but they have some anti-armor capability. They have to, really. "Dual purpose" here indicates that these weapons are used for point defense as well as for infantry, command posts, and anything else that can be destroyed without a nuclear warhead.

Rail guns would shred large concentrations of infantry. Another reason to separate those 3/1 units, if only thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't recall anything that mentions the size of a squad, but remember that a hex is 1.5 km across, about 1.94 square kilometers or 0.75 square miles. So you can't spray and pray. Since infantry's ECM is even more important than their armor, there's a thematic reason to keep infantry together, too.

Game-wise, spreading your three 1/1s into three hexes guarantees one will die, assuming there is just one attack coming, but your greatest chance of having all three survive is to keep them together. This is double true in G.E.V. where infantry want to make use of terrain, and there are only so many god hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

and there are only so many god hexes.

Or even good hexes. Actually this raises a question - would there be such a thing as a "god hex" i.e. a hex so useful and advantageous to occupy it would alter the control of the surrounding area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oops.

I think there are god hexes in White Bear & Red Moon and Nomad Gods, and probably in a few other places. But in G.E.V. there are some good hexes and some *very* good hexes, but I don't know that there are any god hexes.

On the other hand, with the terrain overlays you could certainly create a god hex, and I haven't seen any more of the Strategic and Tactical Objectives countersheet (http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/) than anyone else, maybe one of those is a god hex.

In the meantime, the god hex is the one with the Mark VI in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
In the meantime, the god hex is the one with the Mark VI in it.

You mean the stack of 5 Mark VIs, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OOB DOOB
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
question come up today

can AP weapons target treads?

i was thinking no but thought i'd ask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crufty wrote:
can AP weapons target treads?

Infantry and D0 targets only (or those targets which would be D0 if not in the cover of a city).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, no.

They also cannot try to shoot down cruise missiles.

CP, trucks, infantry, rangers, combat engineers, marines, sure.

No hovertrucks, trains, treads, town hexes, bridges, or buildings with structure points.

I think AP weapons could be used to cut roads in the same hex during the combat phase, as I read 13.01.3. But that seems like it could start an argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know Andrew. For some reason I thought that I saw somewhere the AP could attack since they were more like point defense. But I'm guessing that since I can't find the reference I don't remember it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

They are point defense, for background purposes. Their defensive capacity is figured into each unit's and each Ogre component's defense value. But for actual attacks in the board game they are pretty limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

On the other hand, with the terrain overlays you could certainly create a god hex, and I haven't seen any more of the Strategic and Tactical Objectives countersheet (http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/) than anyone else, maybe one of those is a god hex.

Thanks Andrew, and sorry for the very late response. Perhaps a POL store from the S&TO Countersheet may be the "Access-to-God/Deity-of-your-choice" hex? whistle

Ogre: Strategic & Tactical Objectives Sponsored Counter Sheet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.