Subject: Player Aids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Young
United States
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of any useful player aids for the game? In addition, I had thought that Splotter was going to provide some rules clarifications on their site. I can't find any....

yuk

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indonesia is actually pretty straightforward. The only thing I can imagine needing a play aid for is map ambiguities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
United States
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I was more interested in a FAQ or such. Seems like there are a lot of rules ambiquities, things left out, etc. Or, am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nevis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
N-H
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll try to sum up the ambiguities for you (many of the rules-questions posted on this website are clearly explained in the rules. These questions I will not adress)

Merging + Operation

- A merged company is a single entity eventhough it consists of various company deeds.

(a) Thus it is operated as one and has to maximize its production as one

(b) It can only expand ones during each operation phase

(c) When two production companies merge, the production pieces from these sub-companies are from then on allowed to touch one another.

(d) There are no restrictions as to where and with what distribution to expand your company

Shipping companies

- A merged shipping company is a single entity and the number of boats that can be placed is equal to the sum of the shipping companies.

-There are no placement restrictions. Thus, when merging two 4-boats shipping companies, 6 boats can be placed connected to the location on one of the company deeds, which leaves 2 boats to be connected to the location of the other company deed.

-A new ship must be placed adjacent to an existing or previously placed ship of the same shipping company

-Multiple ships of the same company can be placed in the same sea-zone

-Hull capacity is player dependent (the "hull player" on the R&D track).

Map Ambiguities

dakarp wrote:
The sea around Java Timur is split in two, a north half and a south half, and the two halves do not touch one another. Both the north and south halves touch the westernmost tip of Bali.

Maluku covers all of the white islands and island clusters in the general region of the name Maluku on the map. One of the B city building cards which has Maluku shaded is missing shading from the topmost island cluster, but this appears to be a misprint

City Cards

jmdsplotter wrote:
All city cards are dealt to the players (face down) at the start of the game.

The players play (and reveal) their card when it's their turn to place a city - don't reveal all of them at the start of a new era.

-Cities have to be placed on a region that is adjacent to a sea-zone

Last Operation Phase Earnings

A tip for the last round: use a seperate pile for the earnings for that round (if you're not sure whether it is going to be the last round, use it anyway, just to be sure).

net earnings (profits) are doubled. Shipment costs are subtracted from the earnings pile. What is left in the earnings pile are the profits you made for that round; these are doubled, leaving you with your end-score.

Finally, a nice explanation by RPardoe

RPardoe wrote:
The symbols indicate that regions "potential" by era with the eras separated by '/'. What is confusing is that you have 4 "/" in your example when there are none like that one board. The max is 2 '/' separating the 3 eras. The Hut is the mark for a City.

So let's look at Java Barat:

City-Rice / City-Shipping / House

In Era A, Java Barat will be on one or more of the city cards and there will be a rich production company available.
In Era B, Java Barat will again be on one or more city cards and there will be a shipping company available.
In Era C, Java Barat will be on one or more city cards, but no production/shipping companies in that region.

The dashs just indicate that nothing is available in that era. For example, Sumatra Barat:

- / City-Rubber / -

In Era A, Sumatra Barat has no city cards or companies.
In Era B, Sumatra Barat appears on one or more city cards and a rubber production company is available.
In Era C, Sumatra Barat has no city cards or companies.

The marks help one realize where developments (cities or companies) will be available in future eras and are helpful for planning expansions.

Probably I've forgotten a few things. Pls comment on the things I've forgotten, so that I can add them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Booker
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
some other things I thought of whilst reading the rules after I bought a copy yesterday were:

1) I assume that to be able to ship to a city there must be a ship in the sea zone adjacent to the coastal city area (not just the whole province). Therefore a city built on the north coast of Jawa Barat must be serviced by a boat in the sea area north of Jawa Barat. A ship in the southern sea region cannot ship goods to the city in this example.

2) I assume that the number of goods counters a company has on the board is the number of goods counters that must be shipped to gain the free expansion option. So if a company has three rice counters on the board it must ship three goods to earn the free expansion.

3) When paying for a production company expansion, does the cash go to that player's own bank or into the general money supply? I assume it goes to that player's personal bank but the rules are not explicit on this like it is with the auction money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Booker
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
P.S. Ben Nevis, are your answers official Splotter answers? Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nevis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
N-H
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbooker wrote:
some other things I thought of whilst reading the rules after I bought a copy yesterday were:

1) I assume that to be able to ship to a city there must be a ship in the sea zone adjacent to the coastal city area (not just the whole province). Therefore a city built on the north coast of Jawa Barat must be serviced by a boat in the sea area north of Jawa Barat. A ship in the southern sea region cannot ship goods to the city in this example.

2) I assume that the number of goods counters a company has on the board is the number of goods counters that must be shipped to gain the free expansion option. So if a company has three rice counters on the board it must ship three goods to earn the free expansion.

3) When paying for a production company expansion, does the cash go to that player's own bank or into the general money supply? I assume it goes to that player's personal bank but the rules are not explicit on this like it is with the auction money.

1) yes, you assumed correctly
2) again the right assumption
3) you actually pay for the expansion, so if I'm not mistaken it goes into the general money supply. How I play it, the bank is solely used as a deposit for the "auction money".

-I think it's all based on Jeroen's (Splotter) answers, but I'm not entirely sure and I don't really want to check all rules questions once over. Nevertheless, I can assure you they are correct.

I was merely frustrated by the lack of an official Splotter FAQ, which is why I assimilated the Q&A into this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Booker
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.