Ogre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ogre Shooting: Confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello all,

A silly question perhaps but the "quick start rules" - 11 pages out of 17! - are really a bit too dense and all over the place for me and my kid.

I think I know how the Ogre shoots in the Shooting Phase but I am not sure about it.

Let's take the example of an Ogre MK V.

It comes with:

6 Secondary Battery
6 Missiles
2 Main Battery
12 Antipersonell

It is the Ogre Shooting Phase. I have 4 targets spread around me, all within range.

Can the Ogre start shooting all 4 targets, one by one?

Or does it have to shoot at only ONE target per phase?

Whatever happens with the 6 Missiles? If the Ogre shoot 1 Missile in Round One of the game that means it will remain with only 5 Missiles in the next rounds?

The same about the Secondary Battery 6 Secondary Battery for Ogre MK V. Are these "spent" once I shoot with a Secondary Battery?

A bit confusing, to say the least.

Or only the missiles are "spent" / wasted once you shoot one of them?

Thank you for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ogre gets to fire everything it wants, one target at a time.

Missiles are spent when fired. So use them wisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose your targets as you wish. You can even shot at a target, see how you do then shoot some more at the same target.

Notable exceptions are:
Each weapon may only fire once per turn.

A specific Infantry squad can be attacked only once by AP (you can combine
AP though)

A missile is just that, so if you shoot it that one is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orientalist wrote:
Hello all,

A silly question perhaps but the "quick start rules" - 11 pages out of 17! - are really a bit too dense and all over the place for me and my kid.

I think I know how the Ogre shoots in the Shooting Phase but I am not sure about it.

Let's take the example of an Ogre MK V.

It comes with:

6 Secondary Battery
6 Missiles
2 Main Battery
12 Antipersonell

It is the Ogre Shooting Phase. I have 4 targets spread around me, all within range.

Can the Ogre start shooting all 4 targets, one by one?

Or does it have to shoot at only ONE target per phase?

Whatever happens with the 6 Missiles? If the Ogre shoot 1 Missile in Round One of the game that means it will remain with only 5 Missiles in the next rounds?

The same about the Secondary Battery 6 Secondary Battery for Ogre MK V. Are these "spent" once I shoot with a Secondary Battery?

A bit confusing, to say the least.

Or only the missiles are "spent" / wasted once you shoot one of them?

Thank you for your help!

You can mix and match all the weapons in any order and in any way you want. The only restrictions are that you can't shoot any weapon more than once per phase and you can't split a weapon's fire up. So, for example, you could shoot both main battery together at one GEV within range at 4-1 odds. OR you could shoot one main at the GEV at 2-1 odds and see what you get. If you miss you can shoot the other main battery at it and try again. What you cannot do is shoot one main battery at two different GEVs at once at 1-1.

The only weapons that are spent are missiles. As you fire those, check them off. Everything else can shoot every turn until it is KO.

So at full strength, your Mark V could shoot at up to eight different units with the main and secondary batteries. It could ALSO shoot up to six more with the missiles, but once used the missile are gone. Finally you have the AP weapons which can only be used to shoot infantry and unarmored targets such as CPs, up to 12 of them. So in theory one Mark V OGRE in one turn could shoot at up to 26 targets! It would rarely be the best way to use the firepower, but it would be an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition, some OGREs have internal missiles and missile racks and cannot shoot as man missiles as they would like in the same turn. A Mk IV OGRE for instance. It has 15 missiles and 3 missile racks. It can fire only 3 missiles per turn (one per rack).

The OGRE Mk V however uses a different type of missile (external) and can fire any of its missiles when you choose.

With both types, missiles are expended once fired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game today, and all I can say is WTF!? I can shoot more than once per turn with an Ogre?
I squeaked out the victory, but you're saying the Ogre can fire each weapon once per turn?
EDIT: AND THE OGRE MKIII HAS TWO MISSILES, NOT ONE!?
Man I totally bamf'd my first game.
While I'm at it, when the defender is shooting at my tread, it my tread defense 1? Or 0? Can there be higher odds than 4-1?

Edit again: I'm really not getting it. A main battery with a power of 2, like the MkV; I thought that just meant it has two hit points. Are you saying it can actually fire twice in one turn if it's undamaged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bøttger
Denmark
Odense SV
Fyn
flag msg tools
An Ogre can shoot each of it's weapons once per turn, provided that the weapons haven't been destroyed.

Thus, a completely undamaged Mk III can fire:

1 Main battery
4 Secondary batteries
8 AP batteries (only at Infantry)
2 Missiles (after which it has no missiles left for the remainder of the game)

Shooting at treads is *always* a 1-1 attack, no matter if your attack has power 1 or power 12 (or higher). In all other cases, an attack with better odds that 4-1 is an auto-X (destroyed).

Note that Batteries (Main, Secondary, AP) do not have *hit points*. When you damage, say, the Main Battery of a Mk V, you *destroy* a single turret, reducing it's number of Main Battery shots by one for the rest of the game. Same goes for Missiles. Missile racks are a bit different, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saloonstudios wrote:
Edit again: I'm really not getting it. A main battery with a power of 2, like the MkV; I thought that just meant it has two hit points. Are you saying it can actually fire twice in one turn if it's undamaged?

Except for the treads, each checkbox on the Ogre record is an individual weapon. Each main battery, secondary battery, and anti-personal weapon can fire individually every turn as long as they remain undestroyed. Boxes labeled "Missiles" are for single-shot external missiles, you get one shot with each of them (unless destroyed by hostile fire first), but they can all be fired on the same turn. "Int. Missiles" are ammo for missile racks, you can fire as many of them as you have functional missile racks each turn. A missile rack that is destroyed by hostile fire also destroys one internal missile. The Mark VI and Ninja have both internal and external missiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.