Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point is a new game for me, I treated myself with some birthday money last November. So, on this quiet Friday at home, I sat down at lunchtime for a solo game. I chose the Fire Chief, D/O and Hazmat fella, and they had three explosions, four hazmats and three additional hotspots to deal with.

Initially the team worked well together, the D/O kept the NW and SW under some kind of control whilst the chief and hazmat tech headed inside. However,things went south pretty quickly. The four hazmats all exploded within the first half a dozen turns or so, damaging walls, dropping more hot spots and killing two victims. Hazmat tech saved the first victim and after that it just got worse.

The it seemed as if the fire spread was deliberately targeting the worst location each time.

The fire chief was knocked down and the victim he was holding by the exit was killed. The next three (or four?) POIs were false alarms and after that victims were dying almost as soon as they appeared and certainly before anyone got to them.

I knew we had lost but played on hoping to save at least one more person but then, whilst all three FFs were deep within the building, another explosion collapsed the house ending a rather embarrassing session.

So, I was wondering, anyone else had bad placements and dice rolls from the start?

[ImageID=End game]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's true that the fire in this game can spiral out of control quickly, I'd make sure you are setting up the initial explosions right. This can make a huge difference, as I did it wrong in my first learning game, and got hosed rather quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we set up right - 3 explosions with hotspots and damage (where appropriate), 4 hazmats and an additional 3 hotspots as I had three FFs plus 6 hotspots in reserve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mould
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The horrible games are the best ones. I like Flash Point, but it can be a bit easy compared to other co-ops out there, so the 'perfect storm' games are the most fun for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
I think we set up right - 3 explosions with hotspots and damage (where appropriate), 4 hazmats and an additional 3 hotspots as I had three FFs plus 6 hotspots in reserve?

Yeah, just make sure you are rolling those beginning explosions right, that's what tripped me up. Instead of rolling the black die only for the first explosion, then a random one for the second, and then flipping the black die for the third. I just rolled three random explosions. They were all grouped rather close together, and I used up too many damage cubes in the first few turns to ever recover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeddy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that you had a hazmat guy active inside from turn one, but still all 4 hazmats went kaboom???? You didn't manage to remove any of them? They are always a very high priority for me, unless there is no smoke flame within 2 or 2 tiles; then perhaps focus on something else for a turn (smoke/fire).

And as soon as smoke appears on hazmat, it becomes priority one.

In the early game, smoke/fire generally should be priority over victims.

Oh, and I see you had your Firechief knocked down; it may have been just unlucky rolls that got you to that stage, but just in case; make sure you are never ending your turn adjacent to fire, or possibly even adjacent to a chain of smoke. You are better of stopping 'in-the-open' and saving AP, than finishing close to smoke/fire, which leaves you in a much higher risk locale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls