Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I just got back from two days of non-stop GCACW at MMP's Winter Offensive in Bowie, MD. 14 players and dozens of games over two days. I had my first chance to try out the AGA campaign game and really enjoyed it.

Most games were from SJWII - everyone wanted to try out the latest and greatest. We had FOUR AGA campaign games going on simultaneously on Friday. But BAC scenarios we're also played. And to cap things off our undefeated scenario player (Joe) was able to "choose his favorite scenario from the entire series to play against the designer." He chose "Strike Them a Blow" from GTC and we had a blast playing it.

Thanks to Ryan for organizing it again. This is quickly becoming on par with the World Boardgaming Championships for the major GCACW event of the year on the East Coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach wrote:
I just got back from two days of non-stop GCACW at MMP's Winter Offensive in Bowie, MD. 14 players and dozens of games over two days. I had my first chance to try out the AGA campaign game and really enjoyed it.

Most games were from SJWII - everyone wanted to try out the latest and greatest. We had FOUR AGA campaign games going on simultaneously on Friday. But BAC scenarios we're also played. And to cap things off our undefeated scenario player (Joe) was able to "choose his favorite scenario from the entire series to play against the designer." He chose "Strike Them a Blow" from GTC and we had a blast playing it.

Thanks to Ryan for organizing it again. This is quickly becoming on par with the World Boardgaming Championships for the major GCACW event of the year on the East Coast.

This is really great news. The Midwest has nothing like this . . . I would think the Chicago-area would be a great place for a wargamer con. The closest thing we have that I am aware of is Little Wars, an HMGS event, which is fun, but not board-wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the plans for play of GCACW at Winter Offensive 2015:

The countdown to MMP’s Winter Offensive convention continues – now some 8 weeks away and an update on Great Campaigns of the American Civil War (GCACW) convention play is due. We are at 21 confirmed and potential players. In this update I provide a revised list of attendees. I also pick a default campaign game (CG) unless both players want to try something else as well I reassign some CG opponents.

Registration and infromation on Winter Offensive 2015 my be found at http://www.multimanpublishing.com/WO2015/tabid/77/Default.as.... The dates for the convention are Thursday 15 Jan to Sunday 18 Jan 2015 at the Comfort Inn in Bowie, MD.

21 players have expressed an interest so far with room for more:
1) Ryan S.
2) Dave C.
3) Jeff T.
4) Chris A.
5) Ed B
6) Clyde L.
7) Phil B.
8) Chris T.
9) Eric W.
10) Mike M.
11) Will Wi.
12) Ken L. (CG play only)
13) Ken N. (scenario play only)
14) Mark B.(scenario play only)
15) Bill C. (scenario play only)
16) Joe Ch. (scenario play only)
17) Britt R. (scenario play only)
18) Sean D. (scenario play only)
19) Gene R. (tentative)
20) Mike J. (tentative)
21) Will We.(tentative)
22) You?

Campaign Game Play
Friday 16 Jan will be all day campaign game play. It is possible to set up and begin playing Thursday night if players want. Here are the tentative match ups. While players may choose any CG to play I have provided a default game of Stonewall Jackson’s Way II (SJW II) Scenario 9 From the Rapidan to Manassas (the 15 turn version).

CG Game #1: Atlanta Dave C. and Ed B.
CG Game #2: OTR Chris A. and Eric W.
CG Game #3: SJW II Ryan S. and Chris T.
CG Game #4: SJW II Jeff T. and Clyde L.
CG Game #5: SJW II Will Wi. and Mike M.
CG Game #6: SJW II Ken L. and Phil B.
CG Game #7: SJW II if any tentative or new players participate

Scenario Play
Saturday, 17 Jan will be the scenario play day in a semi-formal tournament format with a winner to be determined at end of the day. Anticipated rules include:

1. Three rounds of play with 16+ players starting 0830 and end as late as needed
2. First two rounds will feature shorter scenarios
3. The third and final round will showcase larger actions
4. I will informally match up players between rounds in an attempt to determine a clear cut winner at day's end

Games needed for scenario play: SJWII/AGA with HCR map, OTR, SLB, BAC, RTG, GTC

Round I (0830 to 1230 - 4 hours)
Players informally matched up and log game results in Ryan's Master Record Log (RMRL).
1861 AGA 1 Across the Potomac 4 turns, uses the HCR map
1862 OTR 4 Seven Pines 2 turns
1863 RTG 1 First Day of Gettysburg 1 turn
1864 GTC 1 The Battle of the Wilderness 2 turns
Optional for first time players: SJWII 1 Cedar Mountain 3 turns

Round II (1230 to 1700 - 4.5 hours)
Winner's in Round I should play like winners. Log game results in the RMRL.
1861 AGA 2 Johnston vs Patterson 3 turns, uses HCR map
1862 SJWII 2 Lee vs. Pope 2 turns
1863 SLB 3 Sedgewick to the Rescue 2 turns
1864 GTC 7 Bethesda Church 3 turns

Round III (1700 to end of day - 5+ hours)
Undefeated players should play only undefeated players as matched by Ryan. Log games in the RMRL. One undefeated player will be paired against the series lead developer / designer.
1861 AGA 3 McDowell's Opportunity 3 turns
1862 SJWII 5 From the Rappahannock to Bull Run 6 turns
1863 BAC 3 Battle of Chickamauga 3 turns
1864 GTC 4 Bloody Spotsylvannia 5 turn
For one undefeated player: play the series lead designer in a scenario of player's choice

Between Rounds Play
If finished early in any round players may avoid idle time and try these cool cavalry actions. I will provide suitable "Jeb Stuart" AAR recognition to the participant playing the most cavalry actions.
Cavalry Actions (in between rounds, time permitting)
1862 SJWII 3 Stuart's Raid 3 turns
1863 SLB 4 Brandy Station 1 turn
1864 GTC 5 Sheridan Rides South 4 turns

I will provide one more update in December. I look forward to seeing you all at WO15!

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls