Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Vale!
badge
The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
mbmbmbmbmb
My sales pitch when it comes to introducing new players to Taluva is that it is "a fast three dimensional tile placement game. With really cute huts. And volcanos, that can destroy the huts." There's not a person alive who doesn't want to try the game after that description.

The result is almost always positive. People usually like Taluva a lot or a little. I have yet to meet someone who actually dislikes the game. It's adorable, fast and violent. Just like life in general.

Of course there are some people who can really kill the experience. The ones who think that Taluva is actually a game of Diplomacy, who must argue and try to control other players, playing the game for them. Stop that! It's a quick game, anything above mild taunting is superfluous. If your game takes more than 20 minutes you are doing something wrong.

Now assuming you've managed to find a friend or two to play with - friends that both like the game and have the social skills to not go over-analytical drama queen on the whole thing - then you have the chance to take it a bit further.

Taluva can be expanded. It really enhances the experience. That 3D landscape goes from cute to cool. You do not add more players (never ever do that). Just add more tiles and buildings.

Double Taluva is a great experience. 24 tiles per person, 40 huts, 6 towers, 6 temples. I have a blast everytime I play it and it still plays fast. 40 minutes is nothing in boardgameland.

That is why I am probably going to buy a third copy of the game. Time to go from cool to epic. 60 minutes is a nice time frame.

Who knows? Maybe I'd like to go above that at some point.

Double Taluva
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Peavy
United States
Americus
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your picture of double-Taluva makes me a little jealous of my lone set. My wife and I have enjoyed several games of this since I found a copy last year. Would be fun to try it doubled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post! Quick question -- how do you change the win conditions when you play this way? Just double them?

Awesome picture, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I bought Taluva, I saw someone's session report on double Taluva, so I bought two. We played one game of double Taluva, and decided it was too big. Try it with 3 towers, 4 temples, 30 huts, and 18 tiles per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, now I've gotta ask...

How compatible for Double-Taluva purposes is the old printing of the game with the new one? I've got the 'loincloth' version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HikariStarshine wrote:

How compatible for Double-Taluva purposes is the old printing of the game with the new one? I've got the 'loincloth' version...

It appears on the back cover of the new edition to be the same exact components of the original edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok this is awesome, I never thought of this, but very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Vale!
badge
The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
mbmbmbmbmb
davos wrote:
Great post! Quick question -- how do you change the win conditions when you play this way? Just double them?

Awesome picture, too!

Just double them. Scales perfectly. Just remember only 12 tiles per player (multiplied by the number of games you are using), otherwise you get an imbalance in the victory conditions.

I think that might actually be an official rule in the newer editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Vale!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Before I bought Taluva, I saw someone's session report on double Taluva, so I bought two. We played one game of double Taluva, and decided it was too big. Try it with 3 towers, 4 temples, 30 huts, and 18 tiles per player.

Wouldn't this ratio be more correct:

Tiles / temples / towers / huts

12 / 3 / 2 / 20

16 / 4 / 3 / 27

20 / 5 / 3 / 34

24 / 6 / 4 / 40

To me double Taluva is amazing, so I don't see the need to shorten it. But I wouldn't mind trying that too.

edit: corrected the number of towers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Y'all, there are only 2 towers per player in the basic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
HikariStarshine wrote:

It appears on the back cover of the new edition to be the same exact components of the original edition.

I've played the original and I own the new. I believe the fronts are the same even though the backside of the tiles have some palm tree on it.

I would suspect the old and new fit together fine (in terms of tiles and color matching), but the old copy I used to play is in Houston and I now live in Vegas....so I can't really vouch for that, especailly as an architect who can get very picky about color match...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Vale!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Y'all, there are only 2 towers per player in the basic game.

I didn't understand this. Of course there are only two towers. Then I realize I apparently lost a brain cell or two yesterday. I've updated my ratios above.

Math was never my field of expertise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim W
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to get at least one copy at a decent price...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just traded for one on bgg. It's probably your best bet on getting one. I am going to get to play it this weekend and I can't wait I should've traded sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I completely bought a second set because of this post. Specifically, that picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome picture! But nooooooo..... this is going to drive the price of the game even higher!! People buying double sets?? shake

I'm sure once you have it and enjoy, it feels worth every penny. But actually paying out the $50-$60 plus shipping... ouch!!cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) My local library has the game, so I can basically borrow it whenever I want (the strat games aren't very popular there.)
Now it comes even better: Earlier this year I found a copy of Taluva (the old brown version) at a flea market for 5 €! Perfect condition. I am not sure if I'd paid as much as $50 because my libr. has it, but getting a personal copy at this price was definitely a no brainer!

2) Double Taluva: sure, it looks awesome to the geek in you/me and it could be fun as a special event, however, for the regular play I would probably don't play double even if I owned 2 sets, because I expect play duration to be more than twice as much, because you'll have a lot more possible spaces to lay your tile in the second half, consequently thinking takes much longer, I think. It's also the short duration that I like in that game, I mean I have enough strategy games that last long enough. I wouln't buy a second copy at $40 to play double T.

Enjoy playing that masterpiece!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.