1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Introducing Ono-Sendai - Card Discovery tool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hyndman
msg tools
Hi all,

Wanted to show all of you something that I've been working on recently. It's called Ono-Sendai, and it's a new way to explore the world of Netrunner cards. Take a look:

http://onosendaicorp.com (be patient, first load will take about a minute on most connections, subsequent loads are much faster)

Some cool features:

* Ultra-fast search. Everything is done on your computer, and happens as you type.
* Links on card pages to Reddit COTDs, and CardGameDB discussions (eg. http://goo.gl/WEPfyU)
* ICE and breaker cost to break calculator. Evaluate the effectiveness of cards by counting the number of credits used, including options to filter cards, adjust ICE strength (ala Datasucker/Ice Carver) and set breaker strength (for Atman/Darwin) (eg. http://goo.gl/KRtjEp). Tinkering and E3 modes are on their way.
* Beautiful URLs everywhere. I worked hard to have URLs that are easy to understand and pass around to others.

I have a laundry list of ideas for the site, but I think that it's become a useful enough tool to show everyone. I'm really excited to hear what you think. My email is on the site (About, in lower left), but feel free to comment here.

Scott

Caveats:

* It doesn't work with phones, yet. I've done a touch of work on it, but it isn't ready for primetime.
* All modern desktop browsers should work, but some perform better than others. Chrome and Safari seem to have the edge here.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Picker
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work! Like the interface! When are the runner cards coming?

Edit -Missed the Corp/Runner selector at the top! Dooh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
That is truly awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandal2002 wrote:
Excellent work! Like the interface! When are the runner cards coming?

Whenever you decide to click on the runner link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few points of quick feedback:

* The interface is very slick looking and very pretty.

* I like how it defaults to showing scans.

* Having to choose between Runner and Corp cards is not always appropriate. For example, if I want to search for things like "tagged", I may want to see Data Leak Reversal and Closed Accounts in the same search.

* Same goes for types like Upgrade / Asset where I may want to find expensive-to-trash permanents and see Marked Accounts and SanSan City Grid in the same search.

* Lacking a single, one-stop search box means I can't install this as a browser search engine. I've gotten pretty used to netrunner db and just typing "n t:agenda f:n|-" into a new tab and being taken to the list of agendas available to NBN.

* The links to discussions on other websites is pretty cool.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. I look forward to seeing what you do with your deck builder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin W.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the ability to sort by cost- makes is easier to see what your options are at various rez costs for ice, among other uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great tool! It instantly became my favourite Netrunner resource. Thanks for that.

I took the liberty to post a link o Netrunner Poland group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hyndman
msg tools
DrTall wrote:
A few points of quick feedback:

* Having to choose between Runner and Corp cards is not always appropriate. For example, if I want to search for things like "tagged", I may want to see Data Leak Reversal and Closed Accounts in the same search.

* Same goes for types like Upgrade / Asset where I may want to find expensive-to-trash permanents and see Marked Accounts and SanSan City Grid in the same search.

* Lacking a single, one-stop search box means I can't install this as a browser search engine. I've gotten pretty used to netrunner db and just typing "n t:agenda f:n|-" into a new tab and being taken to the list of agendas available to NBN.

That does sound useful. I'm making note of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hyndman
msg tools
chomoon wrote:
What a great tool! It instantly became my favourite Netrunner resource. Thanks for that.

I took the liberty to post a link o Netrunner Poland group.

Wow, thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottHyndman wrote:

* All modern desktop browsers should work, but some perform better than others. Chrome and Safari seem to have the edge here.

I seem to have some problems with sliders (vertical scrollers and zoom) on newest FF on Windows - it just doesn't move when dragged. Works on Chrome, though.

Nice tool, indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
New favorite card browser! Now implement the deck builder and your a one stop shop of awesome sauce!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really awesome! Can't wait for the deckbuilder - and that's coming from somebody who used to prefer building decks with actual cards to date. Your builder might very well change that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Make sure to have OCTGN exporting and you will be the replacement for CardgameDB I have been looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You had me at Ono.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hyndman
msg tools
rattkin wrote:
ScottHyndman wrote:

I seem to have some problems with sliders (vertical scrollers and zoom) on newest FF on Windows - it just doesn't move when dragged. Works on Chrome, though.

Nice tool, indeed.

That sucks. Which Windows? Would it be too much to ask for a screenshot? I've tried getting a few Windows friends to reproduce, and we can't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Vaduva
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work!

Some suggestions for your deck builder when you make it, besides export to OCTGN as was suggested already:

-Some way to import from text and/or OCTGN decks (I have over 100 decks in CardGameDB that I'd love to move over to another site)
-Some way to tag/sort/search your own deck lists
-Filter/search by cost/influence/trash cost (trash cost also good for the discover tool)
-Combining multiple filter options as was suggested (i.e. filter for upgrade and asset, with trash cost more than 3, and less than 2 influence)
-Filter by multiple factions (also good for the discover tool)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you talk a little about the tech you used to build it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottHyndman wrote:
rattkin wrote:
ScottHyndman wrote:

Nice tool, indeed.

That sucks. Which Windows? Would it be too much to ask for a screenshot? I've tried getting a few Windows friends to reproduce, and we can't get it.

Windows 8.0 / FF 26.0. Screenshot wouldn't tell you anything - it all looks fine, it just doesn't move when dragged. As I'm developer too, I'm more than happy to help with testing, though, so if you need any particular info, send me a direct message. For now, for zoom it looks like something's messing with mouseup/down events, for vertical scrollbar, it looks like righthand card "coverflow" div overlays the scrollbar a bit, stealing clicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
endgame wrote:

Looks like AngularJS to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A+. Spectacular effort. Much easier to browse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i like it a lot!

can you make a way to sort agenda's by how much they cost to advance? 3/x agendas are more useful in FA than 5/x for instance and might want to be looking to see what your options are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hyndman
msg tools
endgame wrote:

Sure.

The tech stack is fairly straightforward. It's AngularJS written with CoffeeScript, and SASS. Grunt for all my builds, Yeoman for boilerplate, all running on a little DigitalOcean box with Nginx.

The entire app runs client-side. The server's role is to serve up static files, and that's it (for the time being).

Filtering is done client-side using (a slightly modified) lunr.js for keyword search, and some custom code for the other filterable attributes. It's less than optimal, but good enough for the next while. You can see some of the code here:

https://github.com/shyndman/ono-sendai/blob/master/app/scrip...

This was my first serious project using Angular, and I think I'm at the point where I have a good feel for what it can and can't do. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but do yourself a favour and read the guide to understand how it works. Like anything, it has tradeoffs.

The card grid, for example, is largely sidestepping Angular and DOM manipulation altogether -- it's the only I found that I could do it while maintaining some semblance of performance. I lay out cards using a method very similar to Masonry/Isotope (positioning using transform3d), but optimized for my use case. It took a few tries to get right, but I'm happy with the result.

https://github.com/shyndman/ono-sendai/blob/master/app/scrip...

Another new tool for me was Yeoman, for generating boilerplate. It's not perfect, but it was a great way for me to get my feet wet quickly, and have a project structure out of the box.

That's pretty much it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hyndman
msg tools
lynkfox wrote:
i like it a lot!

can you make a way to sort agenda's by how much they cost to advance? 3/x agendas are more useful in FA than 5/x for instance and might want to be looking to see what your options are.

Totally. I've made note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.