Popular Tags: Contest [+] [View All]
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, designers!

Welcome to Year Two of the grand experiment that is the PnP design contest that focuses exclusively on games for two players.

Whether you are here as a participant, a playtester, a voter, or merely a spectator, I sincerely hope that you enjoy the experience. Print-and-play games are a fantastic and economic way to explore design space new and old, and to acquire new games on a limited budget.

The goal of the 2014 Two-Player Print-and-Play Design Contest is to encourage creativity and innovation in two-player games. Many gamers have a game partner in one form or another--a spouse, a boy- or girlfriend, a best friend, or some other person with whom they frequently meet and play games. Subsequently, good two-player games are always in high demand!

The Rules

There are NO restrictions on theme, mechanics, components, or art (although I encourage you to not break any copyright laws).

Submission Guidelines

To submit your game to the contest:

1) Create a Work-in-Progress or WIP thread in the Board Game Design forum.

(Note: I realize that not everyone will read the rules closely and that some of you will post your WIP in the Design Contest forum. This will not disqualify your submission. However, more people frequent the Design forum versus the Contest forum. You will absolutely receive more traffic and feedback if you post in the Design forum.)

2) Create a new Item in the Contest Geeklist, following the example shown in the List.

3) Post, in this thread and in the Contest Geeklist, a link to your WIP thread.

4) Please keep discussions of specific games within their respective threads, and discussions of the contest or other general topics in this thread.

You may, of course, post major announcements about your game to this thread and to the Contest Geeklist, but please be circumspect.

5) Include a link to this contest thread in the first post of WIP thread.

6) As the game is developed, post the file link(s) to the game in both the first post of your WIP and in this thread.

NOTE: Your game does not need to be in a Completed phase by the end of the submission deadline in order to qualify. We can judge your game based on the latest prototype. Just send me a GeekMail and I will mark the game as such. Of course, incomplete games are not likely to get voted as highly as finished and polished games. On the other hand, just like all artforms, some games are never really "complete," merely abandoned, so just do your best.

Deadlines

Official Start Date: 21 January 2014

Submission Deadline: 30 April 2014, midnight (according to your own timezone, or according to the BGG timezone, whichever comes second)

Voting Deadline: 22 June 2014, 11:59 (BGG timezone)

Voting Procedure

VOTE HERE!

All voters will be required to include their BGG username when they vote, to help prevent accidental or intentional multi-votes, so if you are not currently registered, what are you waiting for? It's free!

Prize Support

All GeekGold tipped to this post will be applied to the prize pool. Additionally, I will contribute 10 GG to the prize pot.

Overall:
1st Place: 1/2 of the prize pot
2nd Place: 1/3 of the prize pot
3rd Place: 1/6 of the prize pot

CURRENT PRIZE POT: 1098 GG

We're going to try something new for the prize pots for side categories. Post, in this thread, suggestions for any side categories you would like to see! I will add them to the Side Category Geeklist, each with it's own Item. The prize for each category will be any and all tips for that category's respective Item in the Geeklist.

Prize Category GeekList

FAQ

Q. Does my game need to be competitive?
A. Nope. You can make the game competitive, cooperative, semi-cooperative, whatever you like. Just make sure that the game is designed for two players.

Q. Does the game have to support ONLY two players?
A. No. However, it should be designed PRIMARILY for two players. You can, for example, create a two-player game and then add an AI to allow for solitaire play, or allow for ways to include a third or fourth player. But the focus is on games for two players. Please don't try to squeeze in a two-player version of your awesome three-player game; we'll be able to tell, and we will call you out for it.

Although if you DO have a design for an awesome three-player game design, please post it to the Game Design forums, we'd love to hear about it!

Q. What happens if there are an insufficient number of game submissions to support a particular prize category?
A. Any category that ends up with zero submissions will have all the prize support returned to those who contributed. It has not yet been determined how prize support will be handled in any categories which only receive 1 or 2 submissions.

Q. Can I submit a game that I created before the announcement of this contest?
A. Yes, but ONLY if you did not post anything about it prior to 1 January 2014. This is the 2014 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest, after all.

Q. May I submit more than one game?
A. Yes. BUT. Keep in mind that if you're seeking quality feedback that will improve your game, it might be best to focus on one, maybe two games. But I don't think that we need to arbitrarily handicap the designers who tend to be more prolific, or who have more free time. The point, after all, is to generate cool new games!

Good luck, and remember to have fun!

Special thanks to Caroline Berg for assembling this list:

MAROONED 5 by: John A. White (aVoidGames)
WIP - Rules - Cards - Map
• Best New Designer • Best Overall Game • Best Theme • Most Innovative Mechanic • Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Most Portable Game • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Royal Python by Roxanne Clark (MeOldMate)
WIP - Rules - Cards - Board
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Competitive Game • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Theme

Spirama by Roxanne Clark (MeOldMate)
WIP - Rules - Cards, Board, Tokens - Mini Board and Tokens
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Most Portable Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best Abstract Game • Most Innovative Mechanic

Cat Chess by Roxanne Clark (MeOldMate)
WIP - Files
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Most Portable Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Theme • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Rescue the King by Tanner Griffin (Friff14)
WIP - Nickels - .95-inch - 1.4-inch
• Best Language-Independent Game • Best Abstract Game
(I admit, as this game had no categories assigned, I just picked them.)

Carnival of Blood OR Royal Caribbean Beat Down by Mike Ricotta (ricottma)
WIP - Rules and Files
• Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Wargame

Space Wings by Jeremy Peet (Germflinger)
WIP - Rules - Cards
• Most Portable • Best Language Independent • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics • Best Competitive

Black Sheep and White Sheep by JASON LIN (vcdjason)
Entry on BGG - Gameboard - Rules (no WIP)
• Best Child-Friendly Game
(Again, as this game had no categories assigned in the geeklist, I just picked them from the game entry on BGG.)

The Tain by todd sanders (dumarest123)
WIP - Cards and Rules
• Most Compact • Best Competitive • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Wargame • Best Theme

Stick, Stones and Dragonflame Javier Martin (dummiesday)
WIP - Rules - Color - Printer Friendly
• Best Bluffing Game • Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Most Portable Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best Dice-Based Game •
Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Isla de Ladrones by Orion Free (orionstein)
WIP - Rules - Island PNP - Zip of both Rules and Island PNP
• Best Competitive Game • Best Bluffing Game • Best New Designer • Best Abstract Game • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Co-Designed Game • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Badger Defense by Ghislain LEVEQUE (courtjus)
WIP - English rules - French rules - Cards - Tokens and dice stickers
Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best New Designer • Most Innovative Mechanic

Holy Rollers by Ryan Tharp (fifisdead)
WIP - Rules - Dice and Tokens - Board
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best New Designer • Best Dice-Based Game • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Best Theme

Covers Quarrel by Ryan Tharp (fifisdead)
WIP - Low Ink PnP Files - High Ink PnP Files
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Most Portable Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best New Designer • Best Theme

Steam Riders by Alan R (tequila_j)
WIP - Rules and Files
• Best language-independent • Best competitive • Best New Designer

Character Gallery by Lucas Gerlach (Beaker73)
WIP - Rules only (v3.0) - Rules and Components: Current Version (v3.0)
• Abstract • Artwork-Design • Bluffing • Child-Friendly • Competitive • Language-Independent • New Designer

Kegonsa by Ben Garbe (garbagerunner)
WIP - v1.1 Components - v1.1 Rules
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Most Portable Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language Independent Game • Best New Designer • Best Abstract Game • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Best Written Rules

Strongholds by Gregg Jewell (JewellGames)
WIP - Rules v2.7 - Components v1.6
Medieval • Variable Player Powers • Dice Rolling • Set Collection • Fighting
(To fit the categories for the contest, I would change these to: • Best Competitive Game • Best Dice-Based Game • Best Theme)

Generic Fantasy Adventure The Quest for the Open Tavern by A. Person and David Thompson (Skirmish_Tactics) with Development by Keith Swingruber (kswingruber). Inspired by E. Nate Kurth (kurthl33t). Art by Michael Parla (MasterCraft).
WiP Thread - BGG Entry - Rules and Components
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Most Portable Game (fits in a 54 card tuck box) • Best Competitive Game • Best Bluffing Game • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Theme • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

AstroMiner by Eric Etkin (MOTHDevil)
WIP - Rules and Component Files
• Best Competitive • Best Theme • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Serfs & Soldiers: A Game of Strategic Exploration, Battle and Fortress Building! by Braden Nash (Bradennash) and Shea Nash (0Shea0)
WIP - Components v3.1 - Text Rulebook v2.0 - Full Graphic Rulebook
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best New Designer • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Co-Designed Game • Best Integration of Theme & Design

Dogfight Unleashed by János Décsei (yannes)
WIP - components 1.5 (base+first expansion) - rules 1.5 (base+first expansion)
• Most Portable Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best New Designer • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Best Wargame • Best Theme

Beneficiary by Weston Stapleton (goatfarmer03)
WIP - Hi-Quality Color Rules 7.34MB - Hi-Quality Color Board and Tokens 4.27MB - Lo-Quality B&W Rules 2.14MB - Lo-Quality B&W Board and Tokens 1.33MB
• Spouse-Friendly • Competitive • Language Independent • Innovative • New Designer • Artwork-Design • Theme

Typing by Tom Van 't veld (Shasooren)
WIP - Rules and Components
• Best Abstract Game
(Again, as this game had no categories assigned in the geeklist, I just gave it one.)

The Shivil War by Robin Powell (robo37)
WIP - BGG Entry - The Shivil War PDF - Corrections and Clarifications
• Best Wargame • Best Dice-Based Game • Best Theme • Best Competitive Game • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

The Orb Gates by D K (MisterKuClass) a.k.a. Student # 13(Charger)
WIP - Rules - Components
• Best Theme • Best Dice-Based Game • Best New Designer • Best Competitive Game

The Dragon and the Emperor by Glaya B (weyrbrat)
WIP - Complete Game Files
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Cooperative Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best New Designer • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Stac by Daniel Isom (disom)
WIP - Rules - Game Board
• Best Overall Game • Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best Abstract Game

Mine Your Own Business by Nat Levan (Sivilized)
WIP - Rules - PnP Files
• Best New Designer
(Again, as this game had no categories assigned in the geeklist, I just gave it one.)

Intrigue in the Royal Court by Guillermo H. Nuñez (willdesigns), artwork by Julieta Garcia (Bellita)
WIP - Components English - Componentes Spanish - Rules English - Reglas Spanish
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Competitive Game • Most Portable Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best Abstract Game • Best Artwork/Graphic Design

High Moon by Stephen Gibson (ssgibson)
[thread=1145566]WIP[/thread] - [thing=156935]BGG Entry[/thing] - Game and Rules
• Most Portable Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best New Designer • Best Cooperative Game

WarFields by Chris Green (Menaveth)
WIP - BGG Entry - Rulebook - PnP Components
• Best Competitive Game • Best Artwork/Graphic Design
(Again, as this game had no categories assigned in the geeklist, I just gave it some.)

Robot Combat by Joseph Propati (kingspud)
WIP - BGG Entry - Rules (Components Files are on the BGG Entry page)
• Best Dice-Based Game • Best Wargame • Best Theme • Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Cooperative Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best New Designer • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Lawn Wars by Erik Capps (Capps) (and two little sisters!). Art by Shea Nash (0Shea0).
WIP - Lawn Wars Rules v2.0 - Components v2.0
• Best Overall Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best Bluffing Game • Best New Designer • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Best Co-Designed Game • Best Theme • Best integration Of Theme and Mechanics

Full Metal Contact by Chris C (Christerical)
WIP - Files
• Best Competitive Game • Best New Designer • Best Dice-Based Game • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Theme • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Tread F***ER by Bryan Zoleta (bzoo)
WIP - Rules_v1 - CARDS
• Best New Designer

Cluckbot Fight League International by Cap Diebel (BardicLeather)
WIP - Rules - Files
• Best Overall Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Bluffing Game • Best New Designer • Best Theme • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Pipefitters by Diego de la Torre (PoderRojo)
WIP - Game Rules in English and Spanish v2.0 - Components
• Most Portable Game • Best Competitive Game • Best Language-Independent Game • Best Dice-Based Game

CyberBall by Craig Somerton (anomander64)
WIP - Rules - Game Board (ink friendly) - Game Board (full colour) - Cards and Token Sheet
• Best Competitive Game • Best Theme
(Again, as this game had no categories assigned in the geeklist, I just gave it some.)

GOOOOLLL! by Gene Moore (lwdgames)
WIP - Demo Rules (1mb PDF file, 6 pages) - Full Color Demo Cards (3mb PDF file, 3 pages, print 4 copies) - Game Board (216kb PDF file, 2 pages) - Full Color Player Cards (1.5mb PDF file, 2 pages, print 2 copies) - All Cards, Full Color (7mb ZIP file w/ 53 images)
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best Competitive Game • Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Theme • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

Micro Train by Gerrit Avenant (vriendspookstem)
WIP - Game Files (google drive)
• Best New Designer • Most Portable Game

Pentacle by Natasha Grunewald (natashquan)
WIP - Standard Print & Play - Low Ink Print & Play
• Best Competitive Game • Best New Designer • Best Abstract Game • Best Language-Independent Game

The King Is Dead by Nigel Tao (nigeltao)
WIP - Rules - High-quality Cards - Low-quality Cards
• Best New Designer

Star Wars: The Emperor's Design by Andrew Hagen (fur94)
WIP - Rules - Version 0.2 Cards - Version 0.2 Parts
• Competitive Game • War Game

Sephiroth! by Roylon Mortensen (Roarlion)
WIP - Extended Rules - Rules in a Nutshell - Sephiroth!BoardCompleteHD - LowInkCompleteFiles
• Most Innovative Mechanic • Best Competitive Game • Best Abstract Game • Best New Designer • Best Overall Game

Mecha Mettle by Geoffrey Villanueva, Duane Rajkumar (Inquisibot), Wayne Lau, Nilla Mancino
WIP - Rulebook - Component Cards - Module Cards - Optional Module Cards
• Best Competitive Game • Best Dice-Based Game • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics • Best New Designer

Anansesem by John du Bois (JohnduBois)
WIP - Rules - Files
• Best Competitive Game

The Magic Flute by Caroline Berg (adularia25)
WIP - Rules - Components
• Most Spouse-Friendly Game • Best Child-Friendly Game • Best Artwork/Graphic Design • Best Theme • Best Integration of Theme and Mechanics

ROUTE BOTS by Andy Kay (return)
WIP - Rules - Components
• Best Competitive Game • Best Language Independent Game • Best New Designer

Flowchart Fighter by Tim Fowers (Fubeca)
WIP - Rules - Print Page 1 - Print Page 2 - Print Page 3
• Best Competitive Game

AND THE VOTES ARE IN!

BEST OVERALL GAME

d10-1 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person, with 13 votes

d10-2 Beneficiary, by Weston Stapleton, with 7 votes

d10-3 The Tain, by Todd Sanders, with 6 votes

Honorable Mention: Strongholds, by Gregg Jewell, with 5 votes

MOST SPOUSE-FRIENDLY GAME

d10-1 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person, with 13 votes

d10-2 Covers Quarrel, by Ryan Tharp, with 9 votes

d10-3 Kegonsa, by Ben Garbe, with 6 votes

Honorable Mention: Serfs and Soldiers, by Shea Nash and Braden Nash, with 5 votes; also, four other games got 4 votes each!

MOST PORTABLE GAME

d10-1 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person, with 11 votes

d10-2 Micro Train, by Gerrit Avenant, with 9 votes

d10-3 The Tain, by Todd Sanders AND Covers Quarrel, by Ryan Tharp AND Intrigue in the Royal Court, by Guillermo H. Nunez, TIED at 7 votes each

BEST COOPERATIVE GAME

d10-1 The Dragon and the Emperor, by Glaya B, with 20 votes

d10-2 Robot Combat, by Joseph Propati, with 17 votes

d10-3 High Moon, by Isaac Black's Studio, with 14 votes

BEST COMPETITIVE GAME

d10-1 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person, with 10 votes

d10-2 Dogfight Unleashed, by Janos Decsei, with 6 votes

d10-3 Serfs and Soldiers, by Shea Nash and Braden Nash AND Beneficiary, by Weston Stapleton, TIED at 5 votes apiece

Honorable Mention: Strongholds, by Gregg Jewell AND The Tain, by Todd Sanders, with 4 votes apiece

BEST LANGUAGE-INDEPENDENT GAME

d10-1 Beneficiary, by Weston Stapleton, with 8 votes

d10-2 Stac, by Daniel Isom, with 7 votes

d10-3 Covers Quarrel, by Ryan Tharp AND Serfs and Soldiers, by Shea Nash and Braden Nash AND Spirama / Cat Chess, by Roxanne Clark, three-way TIE at 6 votes each

Honorable Mention: Kegonsa, by Ben Garbe, with 5 votes

BEST CHILD-FRIENDLY GAME

d10-1 Lawn Wars, by Violet Capps and Sadie Capps, with 20 votes

d10-2 Black Sheep and White Sheep, by Jason Lin, with 11 votes

d10-3 Covers Quarrel, by Ryan Tharp, with 7 votes

Honorable Mention: Dogfight Unleashed, by Janos Decsei AND Spirama / Cat Chess, by Roxanne Clark, with 4 votes apiece

BEST BLUFFING GAME

d10-1 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person, with 23 votes

d10-2 Lawn Wars, by Violet Capps and Sadie Capps, with 14 votes from 14 attractive people

d10-3 Character Gallery, by Lucas Gerlach, with 9 votes

Honorable Mention: Sticks, Stones, and Dragonflame, by Javier Martin, with 7 votes

BEST NEW DESIGNER(S)

d10-1 Weston Stapleton with Beneficiary, with 19 votes

d10-2 Shea Nash and Braden Nash with Serfs and Soldiers, with 9 votes

d10-3 Violet Capps and Sadie Capps with Lawn Wars, with 7 votes from 7 intelligent people

Honorable Mention: John A. White with Marooned 5, with 5 votes

BEST DICE-BASED GAME

d10-1 Strongholds, by Gregg Jewell, with 18 votes

d10-2 Holy Rollers, by Ryan Tharp, with 10 votes

d10-3 Sticks, Stones, and Dragonflame, by Javier Martin, with 8 votes

Honorable Mention: Robot Combat, by Joseph Propati, with 7 votes

BEST ABSTRACT GAME

d10-1 Stac, by Daniel Isom, with 15 votes

d10-2 Spirama / Cat Chess, by Roxanne Clark AND Intrigue in the Royal Court, by Guillermo H. Nunez, TIED at 9 votes apiece

Honorable Mention: Sephiroth!, by Roylon Mortensen, with 7 votes

BEST ARTWORK/GRAPHIC DESIGN

d10-1 The Tain, by Todd Sanders AND Dogfight Unleashed, by Janos Decsei, TIED at 10 votes apiece

d10-2 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person, with 8 votes

Honorable Mention: High Moon, by Isaac Black's Studio, with 5 votes

MOST INNOVATIVE MECHANIC

d10-1 Beneficiary, by Weston Stapleton, with 11 votes

d10-2 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person AND The Tain, by Todd Sanders, TIED with 8 votes apiece

Honorable Mention: Sephiroth!, by Roylon Mortensen, with 5 votes

BEST CO-DESIGNED GAME

d10-1 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person, with 21 votes

d10-2 Lawn Wars, by Violet and Sadie Capps, with 16 votes from 16 cool people

d10-3 Serfs and Soldiers, by Shea Nash and Braden Nash, with 15 votes

Honorable Mention: Mecha Mettle, by Geoffrey Villanueva, Duane Rajkumar, Wayne Lau, and Nilla Mancino, with 5 votes

BEST WARGAME

d10-1 The Tain, by Todd Sanders, with 19 votes

d10-2 Dogfight Unleashed, by Janos Decsei, with 16 votes

d10-3 Star Wars: The Emperor's Design, by Andrew Hagen, with 6 votes

Honorable Mention: Robot Combat, by Joseph Propati, with 5 votes

BEST THEME

d10-1 Beneficiary, by Weston Stapleton, with 14 votes

d10-2 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person, with 11 votes

d10-3 Lawn Wars, by Violet and Sadie Capps AND The Tain, by Todd Sanders, TIED with 7 votes apiece

Honorable Mention: Dogfight Unleashed, by Janos Decsei AND Strongholds, by Gregg Jewell AND Holy Rollers, by Ryan Tharp, TIED with 4 votes each

BEST INTEGRATION OF THEME AND MECHANICS

d10-1 Generic Fantasy Adventure: The Quest for the Open Tavern, by David Thompson, Keith Swingruber, and A. Person, with 17 votes

d10-2 Lawn Wars, by Violet and Sadie Capps AND Serfs and Soldiers, by Shea Nash and Braden Nash, TIED with 9 votes apiece

Honorable Mention: The Dragon and the Emperor, by Glaya B, with 5 votes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

Deadlines

Submission Deadline: 30 April 2013, midnight (according to your own timezone, or according to the BGG timezone, whichever comes second)

Voting Deadline: 31 May 2013, 11:59 (BGG timezone)

Whatever the timezone is, if it allow to travel back in time i'll subscribe to the contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Welcome to Year Two of the grand experiment that is the PnP design contest that focuses exclusively on games for two players.

Thanks, Nate! I've been anxiously awaiting this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this one. I don't have a game idea yet, but hopefully I can come up with one in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Deadlines

Submission Deadline: 30 April 2013, midnight (according to your own timezone, or according to the BGG timezone, whichever comes second)

Voting Deadline: 31 May 2013, 11:59 (BGG timezone)

Whatever the timezone is, if it allow to travel back in time i'll subscribe to the contest

And THAT, kids, is why you never drink and post.

Or take a prescription painkiller and post, as the case may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few projects going on, now, but, unlike last year (when I dropped out), I'll get out of my comfort zone, and design something dedicated to Two players.

Challenge accepted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
First entry!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/14627365#14627365

Museum Heist (working title) is an asymmetric tile laying game. One player, the thief, is trying to grab as much treasure as they can and escape while the other player, the security guards, is trying to pin down the thief and arrest them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After doing several PnP I think it is about time I'll enter a contest.

I think I should make time for this one.

Good luck everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
After doing several PnP I think it is about time I'll enter a contest.

I think I should make time for this one.

Good luck everyone!

Good luck to you, Gilad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a conversation with a friend in December I said that I'd be lucky to come up with one this year. It is now only mid January and I have 2 queuing for the geeklist! WIP already up for one.
Royal Python {2014 PnP 2-player Contest}

(Quick edit: - now the 2nd is up as a WIP too, Spirama/Cat Chess)
Spirama / Cat Chess {2014 PnP 2-player Contest}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Anyone up for a playtest trade? As in, I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine? I'd like at least one person I could work with for that, but not too many more for time reasons.

Anyway, here's my entry:

Rescue the King

It's a flicking game with a chess theme. You and your army must go to your opponent's base, where your king is being held captive, and get your king back to your own throne. The catch is that your king cannot move himself, so you have to get your pieces set up just right to help him back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I make stuff. Visit jpeetdesigns.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really been looking forward to this years contest! Thank you Nate in advance for running the show and to those who will be giving much valued feedback to the designers.

I do not have a solid enough idea for a WIP quite yet but it will be coming soon so count me in! Where I want this project to evolve naturally this year I will be moving away from designing to fit the parameters of a container. My energies will be directed at creating a game that is either easy to craft or interesting to craft or both.

Good luck to all the participants, I look forward to seeing a bunch of new awesome games!

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
My energies will be directed at creating a game that is either easy to craft or interesting to craft or both.

If it's easy to craft and as cool as The Grand Flix, you've got this contest made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I make stuff. Visit jpeetdesigns.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tanner, I really appreciate that. I did learn a ton by making the Grand Flix and thought it a bit heavy on the building/materials end of things. That is why I am going to keep the actual construction aspect of the game in mind when I work on this years game.

I really like what you have going on there with your game, nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
Awesome community feel for the contests. I am realy pleased to be able to spend more time an finishing something this time around. I also have a nice little idea on expanding my input here, but more to that later, when its clear.

@Nate: Can I submit something at the 24h Contest and than expand it here in the 2PPnP ? Or is it illegitimate to do so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Thanks again for organizing this. I loved the games last year, and still appreciate the help I got on my games. I can't wait to see the games this year.

I already started working on one for this year, because I know it will take a lot to finish. I even noted so in the WIP title WIP-The Emperor's Design (old working title Endor 44), A game for the 2014 2-Player PNP Contest (contest ready).

It's trying to redo Star Wars:The Queen's Gambit to a setting in the Endor battle from Return of the Jedi. There were a lot of good ideas about a PNP version of this, but it didn't look like anyone ever did so.

I do have version 0.1 files up, and would love to have help playtesting and refining, but as a warning there's a lot of pages, and I think a game needs to get to a version 1.0 (on my scale) before it could be contest ready. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again for organizing this, and an early thanks to all the designers for the great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
fur94 wrote:

It's trying to redo Star Wars:The Queen's Gambit to a setting in the Endor battle from Return of the Jedi.

BEST. IDEA. EVER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fur94 wrote:
Cool! Thanks again for organizing this. I loved the games last year, and still appreciate the help I got on my games. I can't wait to see the games this year.

I already started working on one for this year, because I know it will take a lot to finish. I even noted so in the WIP title WIP-The Emperor's Design (old working title Endor 44), A game for the 2014 2-Player PNP Contest (contest ready).

It's trying to redo Star Wars:The Queen's Gambit to a setting in the Endor battle from Return of the Jedi. There were a lot of good ideas about a PNP version of this, but it didn't look like anyone ever did so.

I do have version 0.1 files up, and would love to have help playtesting and refining, but as a warning there's a lot of pages, and I think a game needs to get to a version 1.0 (on my scale) before it could be contest ready. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again for organizing this, and an early thanks to all the designers for the great games.

For years I've read about the awesomeness that is Queen's Gambit. If you manage to pull this off, we might as well cancel the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalain wrote:

@Nate: Can I submit something at the 24h Contest and than expand it here in the 2PPnP ? Or is it illegitimate to do so?

Personally, I'm down with that. More exposure for the 24-Hour Contest, this contest, and your game are all good things.

Any objections from the other participants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Avalain wrote:

Personally, I'm down with that. More exposure for the 24-Hour Contest, this contest, and your game are all good things.

I'm fine with it. Personally, the fewer limitations and restrictions the better, in my opinion. The goal here is to expose the community to as many awesome games as possible.

Speaking of which, I'm working with an awesome group of game designers and BGG users for our entry: Section Commander. This is a cinematic skirmish (squad/section)-level WW2 game based on the Skirmish Tactics rules set developed for Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse.

We're designing this game to be scenario-centric, and the scenario we're developing in conjunction with the rules for this contest is the legendary Battle of Ortona.

I'll post the official WiP thread once we're farther along, but in the mean time, here is the initial brainstorming thread from the Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse forums.

So far, the people involved with this project (essentially co-designers) include: Ricardo Tomas, the "Singapore Group" (Paul and Joshua), Arnold Klous, Carlo Guglielmin, Jeff Baker, and me.

Here's a working logo for the game:

A working character card:

And a working cover for the scenario:

Update: The design team debated over the scale for the game for a while (skirmish vs. tactical) and the eventual result was a decision to shelf it. Instead, we've decided to work on an expansion for Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse called Humaliens vs. the Deep Ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Avalain wrote:

I agree that it would be a good exposure all around. No objections here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
fur94 wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
Avalain wrote:

I agree that it would be a good exposure all around. No objections here.

Ok thats great to see, how positiv everybody is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, to echo the sentiments of others, challenge accepted!

I have quite a few ideas I'm kicking around from the 24 hour design contests... now to take one of those and run with it...

EDIT: I should specify - these are ideas that were never used for the 24 hour contests because they had a larger scope then could be completed in 24 hours - so they have never seen the light of day, yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Mills
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on Board Game Geek. I had no idea a community like this was out there until I attend a Unpub mini in Durham last year. I just got back from Unpub 4 where I had a blast and everyone pointed me to Board Game Geek so I’m here.

I love contest because they get me to make something in a timely manner. I can’t wait to dive into a two-player concept. Hopefully I’ll be able to help play test and give feedback as well. I don’t really know what GeekGold is yet but I know I want it.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Swiers
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome to the geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.