Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Tags are here!

What are tags?

Tags are short one-word descriptions of items on boardgamegeek. You can use them to help you group times of interest together, both for your own use, and for the benefit of the whole site. For example, you might tag your favorite filler games as "filler," or Spiel des Jahres winners as "sdj-winner." Be creative!

What can I tag?

You can add tags to games, geeklists, images, files, and threads, for now. Other things may follow.

How do I add tags?

Click add tag on the page for the object you wish to tag. you can add multiple tags separating them by spaces.

Can I tag a geeklist I don't like with "geeklist-by-a-total-loser"?

Please don't. The rules from the forums about personal attacks applies to tagging as well. While there can be a fine line between negative but useful tags and abusive tags, anyone who regularly tags in a manner that we find to be abusive will have their tags hidden or removed.

Why would I want to add someone elses tags to my tags?

Next to every tag in the popular tags section and the all tags section is a +. Click the + will add that tag to your tags for that item. This serves two purposes: first, it lets you (and others) see that tag in your list of tags, and it makes the tag more popular. The most popular tags (which we hope will also be the most useful tags) appear on the main page for each object.

Can other people see my tags?

Yes. Tags are completely public.

What else can I do with tags?

You can filter on more than one tag--for example, you can view games tagged with both "sdj-winner" and "dsp-winner." You can probably come up with all sorts of other uses for tags.

Also, you will soon be able to filter your game collection based on your tags.

Is there any tag naming convention?

Not really. We recommend keeping them as short as possible, while still being clear. Most people use only lower-case letters in their tags. It is better to separate tags rather than make compound words - for example, tagging a game with two tags, "chess" and variant" would be more useful than using one tag "chess-variant." Using the same tags other people have used will be more useful for everyone; if most people are using the tag "wargame", tagging items as "war-game" would not be very useful to others.

Can I duplicate information that is in categories and mechanics?

Yes. In fact, if tags work very well, there is some argument for eventually transitioning categories and mechanics to a tag-based system. If you find it useful to tag wargames as "wargame", even though that information is available elsewhere, feel free to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
At the bottom of this post I see:

Your Tags: [Login to Add Tags]

...but I'm already logged in surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Fantastic Aldie, you just made my day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Can I tag a geeklist I don't like with "geeklist-by-a-total-loser"?

Please don't.

Thanks Aldie. My geeklists shoudl be safe now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But, how do I search for the tags I've made? Where can I see my own list of tags? What am I missing? Who invented liquid soap and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thought: My game collection is currently split between two locations, and it is convenient to be able to print out just the games that are in one location. At the moment, the easiest way to do that is to mark the games in one location for one of the existing filters (e.g., "Want") and then select them that way. Since tags are public, would it be inappropriate for me to tag the games I own with their location (once filtering by tag is supported)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tags are for personal use as well as public use. Feel free to tag them with their location. Since those tags aren't likely to be very popular, you don't have to worry about them showing up on the main game page in the popular tags section, at least not once people start using tags in force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about tagging a geek?
Aldie wrote:
You can add tags to games, geeklists, images, files, and threads, for now. Other things may follow.

I'd like people to be able to tag themselves/others, e.g. "aussie" or "yank". Or is there some other way to search by nationality? The user search screen only seems to have username, first name, and last name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
So, where do we go to use tags? For instance, let's say I now want to see a list of the most popular tags across all games (or across all forums, or just across BGG related forums). I might want to find all games that are tagged as simulations, sports, and card. Hmmm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have a suggestion for a tag convention. Use the word "cover" for an image of the front cover of a game.

There really should be more conventions, as keyword searches are usually the most accurate. I work at a newspaper...and one of the systems I maintain is our archive. About 30% of the searches include a keyword search (even though our system supports free text content searches. )

And so we have a small army of archivists you diligently add keywords to everything.

Moo,
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This might not be a good thing to ask, but is there anyway we can agree on some standard tags for a few very general tag types? I'm thinking of things like type of game (board, card, ccg, etc), number of players (2, 3, 4, 5, or 2-player, 3-player, 4-player, or 2 player, etc)?

I think it would be especially beneficial to standardize the # of players tags.

Or mebbe not. I guess a standard will develop through time, and the most popular tag choices will bubble to the surface automagically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jglazier wrote:
But, how do I search for the tags I've made? Where can I see my own list of tags?

"My Geek" > "Tags"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
jglazier wrote:
But, how do I search for the tags I've made? Where can I see my own list of tags?

"My Geek" > "Tags"

Or click on the little 'Tags' icon under your BGG ID to the left of your flag (or on someone elses).

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
jglazier wrote:

"My Geek" > "Tags"

Thanks! Man, I swear that wasn't there yesterday when I was looking around. :o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
badge
ACT AS IF THE TRUTH IS REAL
mb
Very useful! I'm hooked.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Aldaron/tag/tiles+manifest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Stumpf
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tags: great idea! Congratulations!

I have a suggestion, though: the location should be an automatic tag. This way, you could find quickly American, Brazilian, German and Japanese people, for instance. I guess this is not too complicated to do, technically speaking, but would make life easier to boardgamers from all over the world, since this is a hobby that is essentially a social activity.

An alternative is to make the location icon a link to the query of users from that location.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I figured out how to see global tags (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tag/3-player), but will there be a "module" on the front page that will show most popular and most recent (most active would be redundant with most popular, unless we are going to start giving thumbs ups to tags--which ain't a bad idea)? That way, we can see what the most common ones are (the defacto "standards") and we can also get ideas of new ones we might wish to apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Randy Cox wrote:

Two tag-related features I hope will be implemented soon are
* (1) the automatic application of tags for which there is already data in the databse (for example whether a game is 3-player; it makes very little sense to have to add such tags manually) and/or
* (2) ways to filter tags on data that is already in the database (e.g. to limit one's view of items with a given tag to a specific game or other already-known attribute like publication year).

E.g., in a perfect world, .../tag/caylus would bring up all the stuff that the database already has associated with caylus and .../manifest+tiles+carcassonne should bring up all the carcassone tile manifests (only) -- including things associated with carcassone in the database, but only actually tagged with "manifest" and "tiles".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Denhup
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Social tagging: another thing for me not to do.

angry snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not able to browse through the 117 recent tags pages
From the home page choosing browse > tags > recent tags, i end up on the first page of the recent tags.

pressing on number 2 or next or (117) result in the same thing :
page 1 will be displayed ...

Is it me or is it the system ?

JeVo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

* (1) the automatic application of tags for which there is already data in the databse (for example whether a game is 3-player; it makes very little sense to have to add such tags manually) and/or
* (2) ways to filter tags on data that is already in the database (e.g. to limit one's view of items with a given tag to a specific game or other already-known attribute like publication year).

I hope we don't use the data that's already in the system. If a game says 2-8 players, I'd like to see people use the "3-player", "4-player", etc tags to note the best player configurations. So, if the list of most popular tags for a game says

4-player 3-player bidding auction 5-player economic 6-player

we would then think that maybe more people think it's a good 4-player game than a 6-player game.

I'm entering tags under the assumption that tags will some day take the place of all that standard search data (like publisher, designer, number of players, game time, etc). I don't expect the original data will go away, though I could see a good argument for getting rid of the theme and mechanic data and using only tags for that stuff. As it stands now, only the first person who entered data about a game gets a chance to choose all the categories and mechanics--with tags, we can all continue to build on the categories and mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Why I have to look at the frontpage of my favourite game and see it labelled as "boring", I think comment like that should be left only in the rating section. Can we tag games with subjective opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
RolloTommasi wrote:
Why I have to look at the frontpage of my favourite game and see it labelled as "boring", I think comment like that should be left only in the rating section. Can we tag games with subjective opinions?

That's the problem with having all tags be public, yet still encouraging user-specific tags. I don't like seeing "Home" or "garage" tagged to games, just as you don't like opinions tagged. But them's the breaks. If people use tags to identify location or games they like/dislike, that's just the way it goes.

I think the idea is to build up enough tags so that the popular entries (even it that is "boring" or "home" or "wacky-mechanic") bubble to the top.

I fear, though, that the tagging frenzy will die down (like the Geek Mod frenzy) and we won't ever reach critical mass to make tagging all that useful. But I hope I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Randy Cox wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

I hope we don't use the data that's already in the system.

You're right that tags that express user opinions on data that's similar to what's already in the system are useful.

But my point was that some objective data that's in the system already (like the game's title or publisher, the awards it has won, or whether something has cards or is a wargame or was published in a certain year) really must be automatically merged with the tag system in some way -- otherwise people will feel compelled to enter all that data and you'll get a mess of incomplete and overlapping information.

This is not a new issue so we shouldn't reinvent the wheel here: hybrid tag-database systems always present the database information alongside the tags (either by replicating database information as tags or by providing a user interface that merges the two), and users of such systems are discouraged from entering tags that duplicate data that's already in the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I dont like tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.