GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,545 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Fantastiqa» Forums » News

Subject: FANTASTIQA: THE RUCKSACK EDITION now on Kickstarter, with a bunch of NEW EXPANSIONS! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FANTASTIQA: THE RUCKSACK EDITION, my latest game, is now on Kickstarter as part of "Games of Art," along with Petite Pastiche and a really cool book of art games from Sid Sackson....

...plus a bunch of NEW FANTASTIQA EXPANSIONS -- one signed by Rich Sommer of MAD MEN, Tailfeathers of the Hairy Crane!

The Rucksack Edition is a slimmed-down version of Fantastiqa, offering identical gameplay at a really good price (it's well below $40, including shipping). The box is smaller and (unlike the Enchanted Edition) isn't quite thick enough to ward off an approaching troll, there are no boards, and there are fewer duplicate cards. Otherwise it offers the all same fun -- even those nifty wooden statues!

All Fantastiqa expansions are compatible with BOTH the Enchanted and the Rucksack Editions of the game.

Please see the link for more details and rulesets, and feel free to post any questions here....

Please spread the word! Thank you! http://kck.st/1gykE5j 

Here are some example images. Let me know if you want to see more...

Edit: Here are some of the new expansion cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Seegert, I love your game Fantastiqa, but I'm not interested in the Sid Sackson item. I also have to watch my spending cash because of tough times. Is there a way to buy your expansions for Fantastiqa without buying either the Sid Sackson game or your slimmed-down version of Fantastiqa?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thought out pledge levels. Fred always does a good job with the KS stuff. I was worried for those of us that already have Fantasiqa but we were not left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
Mr. Seegert, I love your game Fantastiqa, but I'm not interested in the Sid Sackson item. I also have to watch my spending cash because of tough times. Is there a way to buy your expansions for Fantastiqa without buying either the Sid Sackson game or your slimmed-down version of Fantastiqa?

Thanks.

Hi Wister! The pledge levels are set up so you can choose what you're looking for. You don't have to buy other games (including the Sackson games) to get the Fantastiqa Rucksack Edition or the new Fantastiqa Expansions. Thanks so much for playing Fantastiqa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
Well thought out pledge levels. Fred always does a good job with the KS stuff. I was worried for those of us that already have Fantasiqa but we were not left out.

Thanks, William! I'm happy about this, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the Enchanted Edition, so there's no need for me to get the Rucksack Edition; but the art is sooo cool that I'm almost tempted to get it anyhow! But that's ridiculous: you'd have to be an utter Fantastiqa addict to do something demented like that. Wait a minute......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the information. I backed it so I will receive the expansions. Can't wait.

I was just thinking of you yesterday, Mr. Seegert. I wondered how your your next game was coming along. I was hoping it wouldn't be a long wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which cards are not included, but this gives me a chance to own Fantastiqa at a price point that's a bit more palatable (and in a smaller box, which is increasingly important). Not sure about the expansions. I'm intrigued, but want to do a bit more checking to see if they're worth adding on or not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am instantly excited about expansions for Fantastiqa. One of the many, many great things about the game is it's relative ease of expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as this is a ks campaign is there any chance that the ks events from the first campaign will be available in this one? Also, is the hairy crane card available in any of the 6 new expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I don't understand the pledge levels.

I've back at the Mad Men Only level, to get the promo card. So how would I get the expansions as well?

As an Add-On?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making an expansions only level and the comment that says the previous expansions will be put in as add ons. I for one greatly appreciate that.

I was curious about the card count change.

"Note to owners of Fantastiqa: The Enchanted Edition...All the same playing cards are present as the Enchanted Edition, but the Rucksack Edition has a total of 211 cards vs. 240 because there are fewer duplicate cards. "

Would this slimmed deck be considered a better way to play overall. If so, could a list be released of what was taken out so Enchanted Owners could pull cards accordingly to match what is now the official rules.

How do you play Alf? 240 cards or the streamlined 211.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KillerKoala
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logan_mann wrote:

+1
Am considering pledging for the rucksack edition but if the gameplay is not as good due to the streamlined card count, may want to get the enchanted edition instead so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joelaujr wrote:
logan_mann wrote:

+1
Am considering pledging for the rucksack edition but if the gameplay is not as good due to the streamlined card count, may want to get the enchanted edition instead so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Would love to hear about the removed cards as well and get a list. Want to try the streamlined card count with my solo variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
I own the Enchanted Edition, so there's no need for me to get the Rucksack Edition; but the art is sooo cool that I'm almost tempted to get it anyhow! But that's ridiculous: you'd have to be an utter Fantastiqa addict to do something demented like that. Wait a minute......

Yes..... or you might grab the new expansions or snag an inexpensive copy for a friend... whistle

Thanks, amacleod!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
Thank you for the information. I backed it so I will receive the expansions. Can't wait.

I was just thinking of you yesterday, Mr. Seegert. I wondered how your your next game was coming along. I was hoping it wouldn't be a long wait.

Thanks, Wister! I very much appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
I'm not sure which cards are not included, but this gives me a chance to own Fantastiqa at a price point that's a bit more palatable (and in a smaller box, which is increasingly important). Not sure about the expansions. I'm intrigued, but want to do a bit more checking to see if they're worth adding on or not for me.

Thanks, Peter! Here's some more information for you...

All removed cards are duplicates. Here's a list:

Beast Cards: one of each removed (9 total). It turns out that Fantastiqa doesn't require 27 Beast Cards; 18 is plenty.

Creature Cards: Remove 20 cards (all from the bottom deck: remove 1 of each single-symbol card, 1 of each double-symbol card, and 2 Mischievous Raven cards). This has virtually no effect on gameplay because the ratios don't change much. I've been playing with this arrangement for many months and it works great. I also prefer it simply because I like games to have as few components possible to do the job. Also: now the end of the deck is easier to reach, so that alternate game-ending condition might actually happen (in practice it's still very rare).

As for expansions, speaking for myself, I almost always include the following expansions when I play:

Original Expansions I always use:
Fantastic Events (with some cards removed to match the smaller deck; I'm also not partial to Market Day)
Special Delivery cards. I just think these are super fun. And the fact that a set of three nets you an extra point can make them genuinely valuable.

New Expansions I always use:
Espresso Dragons. Each Espresso Dragon token is a nice stiff cup of coffee, enabling you to perform an extra play action (very much like Double Espresso -- except that as a token, it doesn't take up space in your hand or depend on the luck of the draw). One of my favorite additions because of the fancy combos it allows for. For me, essential.
Wild Goose Chase. Also essential at our table. It's super fun to watch an opponent's eyes dilate as they reveal that their next move will be a win....and to send them chasing after the Wild Goose at the other side of the board instead! devil
Exclusive Artifacts I shuffle these in with the original cards and use them every time. I'm a big fan of all these new cards, with special fondness for the Tailfeathers of the Hairy Crane (thanks Rich Sommer), the Locket of Landfall, and Coddington's Fog Machine (thanks to BGGer Clinton Coddington for inspiring this card!).
Curious Companions and Rarest Relics. I really enjoy the Curious Creatures because they allowed me to add a Star Wars-style Cantina to the game. Having dual-symbol cards makes for very interesting decisions and quirky storytelling. The Rarest Relics are powerful and fun.

I enjoy the Abandoned Abbey a lot, too, as a new "exploration and Gothic-press-your-luck" addition (esp. in combination with the Curious Companions). But since it's an "Adventure Expansion" that changes the victory conditions (you need a combination of Quest points and Abandoned Abbey cards to win), we play with it only on occasion instead of every single time.

Here are some more example images....

Example Exclusive Artifact cards

Example Rarest Relics

Example Abandoned Abbey cards and new Quest Goals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
joelaujr wrote:
logan_mann wrote:

+1

Would love to hear about the removed cards as well and get a list. Want to try the streamlined card count with my solo variant.

Hi Skyzero! Thanks for asking -- I've posted card details below in the thread. Thanks for working on that solo variant -- I look forward to trying it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerTaco wrote:
I am instantly excited about expansions for Fantastiqa. One of the many, many great things about the game is it's relative ease of expansion.

Thanks, Clinton! I've become a big fan of Coddington's Fog Machine (see other posting...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Seeing as this is a ks campaign is there any chance that the ks events from the first campaign will be available in this one? Also, is the hairy crane card available in any of the 6 new expansions?

Hi Scott, Last I checked, the original expansions are also available at the Kickstarter link, http://kck.st/1gykE5j -- if you can't find what you're looking for, please comment at the Kickstarter page to notify the publisher of your request.

And YES, the Tailfeathers of the Hairy Crane is a standard new card, part of the Exclusive Artifacts expansion. (See new example image elsewhere in this thread.) Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
I guess I don't understand the pledge levels.

I've back at the Mad Men Only level, to get the promo card. So how would I get the expansions as well?

As an Add-On?

I think its possible to combine everything, no problem, but please post this question at the Kickstarter comments thread to notify the publisher.

http://kck.st/1gykE5j

Thanks, Misterboy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
logan_mann wrote:
Thanks for making an expansions only level and the comment that says the previous expansions will be put in as add ons. I for one greatly appreciate that.

I was curious about the card count change.

"Note to owners of Fantastiqa: The Enchanted Edition...All the same playing cards are present as the Enchanted Edition, but the Rucksack Edition has a total of 211 cards vs. 240 because there are fewer duplicate cards. "

Would this slimmed deck be considered a better way to play overall. If so, could a list be released of what was taken out so Enchanted Owners could pull cards accordingly to match what is now the official rules.

I've posted details in my response to Peter in this thread. Yes, I do play with the streamlined decks regularly and I prefer it. Thanks, Logan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekGold, Alf, for the Hamster of Histrionic Haggling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
GeekGold, Alf, for the Hamster of Histrionic Haggling!

Ha! Thanks, amacloud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameplay of Fantastiqa is what makes everyone love this title, but the fun, goofy, whimsical text on each card is the cherry on top. I love those cards! I'm so happy that the expansion cards have that same whimsy--even more so on some of the cards you posted.

Made my day! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.