Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Recruit Training Day in Bryceville and four potential firemen showed up, Joe, Zach, Fred and Jack. Each was eager to prove himself and make the cut. An average family home was being used for the training, with dummies inside. Each of them took up positions at an outside door, one on each side of the house. When the whistle blew, they rushed in and the fun began!

It was a standard training exercise, fires had broken out in the living room, dining room and one of the bedrooms. No heavy equipment, no fire truck, just the raw recruits, smoke and confusion. "Should be a cakewalk", Jack thought. And at the start, it was. Fred chopped through a wall in the gaming room to get easier access, Jack and Zach went after the smoke and fire, while Joe headed for the nearest point of interest. And then it turned ugly.

Jack was forced out by an explosion, but he recovered after a few minutes outside. Joe rescue a 'victim', but was far away from any other potential action, Fred changed tactics from rescue to fire control and Zach watched as the dining room soon became engulfed in flames, in spite of his best efforts.

Minutes of chaos followed, as simulated victims were killed and the structure weakened. Zach made some progress into the dining room before being forced out while Fred and Joe did their best to get people out. Jack succumbed to smoke inhalation with another burst and spent the rest of the exercise on the sidewalk with a paramedic.

In the end, the dining room, kitchen and bedroom were unreachable, and dummies in those areas were rapidly considered dead. Five victims had been rescued, but four had perished. The training exercise was over.

Joe was rated to have done moderately well at both firefighting and rescuing, but Fred got higher marks in both. Zach did good at putting out fires, but wasn't nearly as good at saving people. Both Fred and Zach earned their Generalist badges, but neither qualified for specialization. And while Jack was considered to have done an excellent job as a rookie at extinguishing the flames, he did nothing else. It was obviously his propensity for risk-taking that put him in danger more often than he should have been, and by the time the exercise was over, he had decided to pursue a career elsewhere, in spite of being qualified for CAFS designation.

The three remaining firemen went back to the firehouse and hit the books.

This was a playtest of an experience point system for Flash Point that I've been working on. The game went well, with a couple of suggestions for improvement. One was a mission record sheet, which I've created a first draft, and the other was a tweak in experience points, which I'm implementing.

A translation of the results is that Fred and Zach both have the option to play as Generalists in the future. Joe did good, but didn't gain enough experience to qualify for a role. Jack got enough experience to be a Generalist or CAFS firefighter, but he took 2 wounds in the game and failed a survival roll, ending his career.

Edit: I slipped with a name in one place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stephenson
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report! Are you willing to share your experience point system idea? It sounds like a really cool way to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I want to get in another game or two to test it out, but will probably be posting the experience points system, as well as blank character sheets and mission record sheets as soon as I'm comfortable with it.

I'd like to get a play by forum campaign of it going, to get more feedback, but I can't run it. So I'll need to work on that end of things as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls