Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Campbell
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To make the game a bit more unpredictable(points wise), I decided to leave the tiles facedown after shuffling them and setting up according to the rules....that way, you don't know the value of the tiles as you collect them, it keeps the other players from trying to hoard all the good tiles for themselves..I also don't look at my tiles until after the game is over, and we all count up our points..I played 3 games like this with my 8yr old and we had a good time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I set up the water hole tiles face down when playing Through the Desert with my kids for the same reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Alexander
Australia
flag msg tools
I use a similar variant, where players place their penguins on face-down tiles, then the remainder are turned up before the first move.

It definitely helps as the three-fish tiles aren't all gone after the first couple of turns and then there's more to play for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Eh... why even bother with the fish, then... why not play for "whoever gets the most hexes, wins"? Because that's all this is, really - a step down from that. "Whoever gets the most hexes has the greatest chance of winning, but we'll let a randomizer decide who won and sometimes you'll get screwed by that despite superior play."

It'd be like playing hockey, only instead of the team that scores the most goals wins, each team that scores a goal gets a coin. At at the end of the game, each team flips as many coins as they scored goals. Whoever flips the most "tails" wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Banin
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sorry thatmarkguy, i dont agree
i played it once a BSW, i was the first player to get eliminated (that means, fewer tiles collected) and i won the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 year old suggested this method of playing HTMF. We both enjoyed it. I think for younger players there is some advantage as it is more by chance, thus down-playing the advantage of forethought that adults have. There is the thrill of finding out how many fish you have hidden under the chip. And finally, there is a natural ego-soother of "I lost because of bad luck!"

I still would rather play regular HTMF, but there are reasons and situations that may recommend this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls