Bob Misenheimer
United States
Portville
New York
flag msg tools
This is The post for my Design Contest entry. Its a 2 Player game that requires only 16 cards total, 10 dice, and 14 cubes. I have uploaded the PnP file without Rules. I hope to have the rules up in a day or 2 (writing rules is my weakness)

More to Come

http://www.realmstudio.net/clashcity.pdf Cards
http://www.realmstudio.net/clashbox1.pdf Box
http://www.realmstudio.net/clashcityrules.pdf Rules
http://www.realmstudio.net/clashcitylowinkpnp.pdf Low ink cards
Clash City
A Game For 2 players

Contents(required Elements)
6 Hero Cards
6 Villain Cards
5 Red D6
(5 Blue D6,2 Red Cubes,2 Purple Cubes, 2 Yellow Cubes,2 Green Cubes,2 Blue Cubes) Or 10 Location Cards
2 Black Cubes
2 White Cubes
I Hero VP chart
1 Villain VP Chart
1 Reference Card(to represent custom Dice)
1 Map Card

Setup:
Place The map and reference cards where both players can reach and see them

Players choose who will be the Heroes and who will be the Villains

Each player chooses Four Cards to Be their Units for this game

The Hero Places his Heroes Face Down in front of them, Takes 2 White Cubes, The Hero VP Card, 5 Blue Dice and 1 each of the Red, Blue, Yellow, Purple and Green Cubes( or 1 of each of 5 Location Cards)

The Villain Places his Villains Face Down in front of them, Takes 2 Black Cubes, The Villain VP Card, 5 Red Dice and 1 each of the Red, Blue, Yellow, Purple and Green Cubes( or 1 of each of 5 Location Cards)

Each Turn Consists of The Following 3 Phases
1)Patrol
2)Conflict
3)Resolution

Explanation of Phases

1)Patrol

Each player secretly chooses 3 Colored cubes or Location Cards corresponding to locations on the map card.

Both Players Simultaneously Reveal the Cubes that they Chose.

If Only one Player Chose a Color or Both Chose Purple then they score the VP for those Locations

If Both Players have Chosen the same color other than Purple Then Move onto Conflict

2)Conflict

Each Player secretly chooses their combatants for any conflicts by
placing the appropriate colored cube on the facedown unit they have chosen for that conflict.

Both players simultaneously reveal their chosen unit and begin the conflict by rolling 5 dice and checking the reference card.

Fist= 1 Hit ( A Point of Damage)
Shield= Block (Cancels 1 Hit)
Curved Arrow= Dodge ( Counts as a Block Plus Reroll and count the Result in addition to the Block)
Star= Super power ( Allows use of the Power printed on the Units Card. Additional Stars have no Effect)

For each not Prevented, Blocked or Dodged Roll a D6. On a result of A Block or Dodge, The Unit is sent home Unharmed but loses the combat.
On a Star or Hit, The Unit is KO'd and out of the game.

If Both Units Suffer damage only the one with less successful hits is the Loser and must roll

If There is still a tie Each Player rolls 5 dice and only counts Blocks and Hits to Determine the Winner of the conflict.

3)Resolution
The winner of each conflict scores the VP for that location.

If either player has reached 25 VP or has the only remaining Unit(s) they are the Winner

Feedback I am interested in:

Powers: Are any Over or Under Powered or Just confusing
Fun: Is the game Fun and/or interesting for you
Art, Readability and Graphic Design Quality
Rules: Are they clear or confusing(please make suggestions)
Cube Alternatives: Cards With Symbols for Colorblind instead of Colored Cubes Maybe

Soon to Come:Optional Rules

Thanks

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Okulov
Australia
Wurtulla
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: (WIP) 2014 2 PLAYER CONTEST Clash City: Heroes vs Villains
An easy PnP! Looking forward to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Misenheimer
United States
Portville
New York
flag msg tools
Re: (WIP) 2014 2 PLAYER CONTEST Clash City: Heroes vs Villains (NOW WITH RULES!!!!)
Optional Rules and/or Add Ons

Searches
Uncontested Patrols can Search for Equipment

Roll 1 D6
STAR=Med Kit: If Unit is KOd Discard to Reroll the KO Die
Fist=Binoculars: After Conflict Units are Revealed, Discard to Swap 2 Of Your units
DODGE=Nothing
SHIELD=Radio: Allows 1 Reroll of Up to 3 Dice before Powers are activated.

Each player has a max of 3 Equipment in inventory at a time

Reinforcements
Each player starts with 6 Units and Patrol is 4 Locations instead of 3. All Other Rules apply

Tomorrow: Passive powers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Misenheimer
United States
Portville
New York
flag msg tools
Re: (WIP) 2014 2 PLAYER CONTEST Clash City: Heroes vs Villains (NOW WITH RULES!!!!)
These are the passive powers I have been testing for the units. It gives more identity to the units as well as give them a way to affect the game even if you don't roll STARS.

Mastermind: Backup Plan- Always wins Ties
Psycho- Pumped Up- Reroll's her first Block
Femme Fatale: Distraction- Dodges don't get the extra roll
Mad Scientist: Jammer-Blocks Passive Powers
Assassin: Kill Shot- If he wins combat auto KO no roll aloud
Anarchist: Diatribe Opponent must reroll dodges
Mystic: Revive- Reroll 1 failed KO Roll
Powerhouse: Tough- Ignore 1st hit rolled by opponent
Speedster: Spin- You may count dodges as hits
Flyer: Fly By- Oppent rerolls first hit
Vigilante: Smokescreen- Opponent rerolls first block
Shapeshifter: Pliable- When rolling KO roll only Stars count as KOd

Let me know what you guys think of the game and any suggestions of better active or passive powers are more than welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The warehouse art looks PURPLE. I didn't understand until looking really hard at the card that PURPLE refers to the streets. You should add a "the 5 locations are: Streets (1vp; purple), Warehouse (3vp; blue), etc" section to the rules.

The conflict rules "for each not Prevented, Blocked..." the word HIT is missing, I presume.

I like the look and diversity of the characters. But I didn't get a chance to play. Adding passive powers might help give them more definition. Just put the passive power one one line and put a STAR in front of the special power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Misenheimer
United States
Portville
New York
flag msg tools
jmucchiello wrote:
The warehouse art looks PURPLE. I didn't understand until looking really hard at the card that PURPLE refers to the streets. You should add a "the 5 locations are: Streets (1vp; purple), Warehouse (3vp; blue), etc" section to the rules.

Thanks for that. I was trying to add more texture and the rust made the warehouse less blue and more purple. I'll change it. I like the idea of listing locations in the rules

wrote:
The conflict rules "for each not Prevented, Blocked..." the word HIT is missing, I presume.

Thanks I will correct that mistake

wrote:
I like the look and diversity of the characters. But I didn't get a chance to play. Adding passive powers might help give them more definition. Just put the passive power one one line and put a STAR in front of the special power.

If they work then I certainly will. Thanks for the feedback and help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I liked goats before they were cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bob. I had marked your game as one to check out later, and now that I have my own entry at a playtest ready state I figured I would stop by. This seems like a really quick secret action/unit selection game with a superhero theme. The rules were easy to read and understand, but I havent seen any updates in a month. The only thing I am struggling with is understanding how the tiebreaker flows, but it is only because I havent played it yet. Hopefully you are still putting effort into playtesting this and adding some of the stuff you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking this one may have run dry, but I gave it a playtest last night against my wife. I played Villians and she played Heroes. I ended up squeeking out a victory on the last turn with a combat victory at the Bank for 5 points. End score was 27 to 22. Here is the questions comments, just in case you come back :

a) There was far too many cases where the blocks/dodges way outweighed the hits. So we barely got any hits on each other. We ruled that after 1 reroll of everything, if there was still not a hit we would both retreat from the area and no one got points for that area. I think with 3 possible ways to block and only 2 to hit, the characters do not get hit enough. Perhaps this is intended, but nothing is stated in the rules about lack of damage. If this was not intended, perhaps instead of a Dodge on 1's, you could make a roll of 1 be player's choice. They could choose to make the dice a Hit or a Block. This would also get rid of the convoluted aspect of figuring out dodge rerolls.

b) Can players re-roll dodges even if they are not expended as a block? As in I roll 3 Blocks and 1 Dodge. But my opponent doesn't roll any hits. Can I still reroll the Dodge in order to try and get another hit, or do I have to use the Dodge in order to re-roll it?

c) Each player was supposed to get 2 Cubes in either Black or White. The use of these is never given in the rules, but I figured they were used to keep score on the scorecards. Perhaps add their use to the rules. And I am also curious why the score goes to 59 on the card, but the game ends after 25

d) The wording on the Anarchist is kind of odd. It reads "The opponent must reroll all dice ignoring Stars." Does this mean the Stars are not rerolled. Or the opponent rerolls all dice and any Stars they roll are ignored.

e) The Mad Scientist and the Mastermind both negate the opponents special abilities. I think I was just rolling good, but my wife felt that may be a bit overpowered since she rarely got to use her abilities. Perhaps change the Mastermind so that you can choose any 1 dice, but not Stars.

I think that was it. The game felt pretty rinse and repeat, but the game was quick so it did not overstay its welcome. I am always a fan of secret selection, no matter if it is actions or characters . . . and this game has both. Hope you check back in here and give it a good update before May.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Misenheimer
United States
Portville
New York
flag msg tools
there has been an exstensive reworking but due to both medical (car accident neck injury) and technical ( hard drive and back up dried both fried a day apart. Spent an extremely long time in file recovery) problems I am slow in getting the changes online. Hope to have them by the end of the week. Thank you for the feedback. That is what I have been waiting for to help improve the game. I changed dodges and dice combinations as well as scoring and powers. The Black and white cubes are for scoring. The revision removes that type of scoring. My thought of making it to 59 was in case someone wanted to play a longer game. Hope that answers some questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Misenheimer
United States
Portville
New York
flag msg tools
Unfortunately due to medical reasons, I am unable to revise my rules for this game in time to make the deadline for this contest. I am very sorry to all of those who were interested in and supported my design. I am on meds for a medical condition that make it very hard to concentrate enough to create as well as I have a great deal of diificulty typing or using my mouse. I hope to be able to enter this design again in the future but as of now I must withdraw ffrom the contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grdmonkey wrote:
Unfortunately due to medical reasons, I am unable to revise my rules for this game in time to make the deadline for this contest. I am very sorry to all of those who were interested in and supported my design. I am on meds for a medical condition that make it very hard to concentrate enough to create as well as I have a great deal of diificulty typing or using my mouse. I hope to be able to enter this design again in the future but as of now I must withdraw ffrom the contest

Bummer. Thanks for letting us know. Get better, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let that deter any of you possible play-testers though. This game works just fine as it is. Some hiccups, but I printed it out and it was quite fun.

Sorry about the health issues though soblue, hope you are doing alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
grdmonkey wrote:
These are the passive powers I have been testing for the units. It gives more identity to the units as well as give them a way to affect the game even if you don't roll STARS.

Mastermind: Backup Plan- Always wins Ties
Psycho- Pumped Up- Reroll's her first Block
Femme Fatale: Distraction- Dodges don't get the extra roll
Mad Scientist: Jammer-Blocks Passive Powers
Assassin: Kill Shot- If he wins combat auto KO no roll aloud
Anarchist: Diatribe Opponent must reroll dodges
Mystic: Revive- Reroll 1 failed KO Roll
Powerhouse: Tough- Ignore 1st hit rolled by opponent
Speedster: Spin- You may count dodges as hits
Flyer: Fly By- Oppent rerolls first hit
Vigilante: Smokescreen- Opponent rerolls first block
Shapeshifter: Pliable- When rolling KO roll only Stars count as KOd

Let me know what you guys think of the game and any suggestions of better active or passive powers are more than welcome.

I definitely like the addition of Passive powers, as without them there didn't seem like there was enough strategy to which character you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Misenheimer
United States
Portville
New York
flag msg tools
As soon as I am able, i will keep working on this game aND KEEP IT UPDATED EVEN IF IT IS NOT A CONTEST ENTRY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boing, boing, boing... thunk!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me add my voice as encouragement and say please continue working on this title, but get well first. Nothing is worth sacrificing your health. I'll be here when you come back. *subscribed*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls