Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony McRee
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In episode #32, we talk about a way to get over the cabin fever by helping me spend my $40 in allowance. What we would like you to do is suggest a game in this thread that you think I should buy. The game should be roughly $40 at Coolstuff Inc (shipping not included) and needs to be in stock. It could be a game I should add to my collection or one you would like Marty and I to preview for you on the podcast. I will evaluate the list and pick from it.

Thanks for playing and appreciate the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gaston
United States
TEGA CAY
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi $9.99
Bruges Borderline at $40.99
Dominare $39.99
Rex: Final Days of an Empire $39.99
Infamy $33.49

And 2 lighter games:

Space Cadets: Dice Duel $34.99
Going, Going, GONE! $33.49
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From burks:

Alhambra Family Box (40.99 a lil over budget)
- This is a good game you could get anyone to play but has enough strategy and repeatability that makes it fun. You have a few rounds of scoring during the game for building a city of tiles.
or

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!(27.99)
-This is a fun game with high conflict, you put out a bunch of guys with different point values and want to destroy other players before they get off the island (eating them with sharks) It's another one that you could explain and play with anyone in 10 minutes. This one hits the table a lot with my wife and her brother (non gamers)

or
Chaos in the Old World(39.99)
-If you want a fun warish game, it's probably my favorite game right now. Only caveat when you play, you must have 4 people. Each character you play as has a different strategy to win which increases re playability. It's one where you would like to play with one character until you get it's strategy down and move to the next.

or
Race for the galaxy (22.99)
-This game is just great, I would recommend NOT getting any expansions for it for a while though. It's a great game that will never play the same twice (unless you play 1000 times like some have) . I say not to get any expansions just because it's a hard game to learn, and when you throw a few expansions in, it's almost impossible to get them up to speed and be competitive.

or
Print and Play Stuff
Like you, my wife makes me have a budget for gaming. I went out and got an exacto knife (or rotary knife), a cutting board, a metal ruler, spray adhesive, and modge podge (clear coat to give hard structure to pieces). Shop around thrift stores for old crappy games for boards and pieces. Peruse BGG for free print and play games, print them on normal paper and glue them to cheap game boards (i have a good will outlet store here, u pay by the pound). Put any cards you print, in a sleeve with a normal card behind it (from the thrift store). Now you have tons of games for $40.
Some games to print
Deadwood Studios
18Al (any in the series)
Cronberg
the list can go on forever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
damcree wrote:
In episode #32, we talk about a way to get over the cabin fever by helping me spend my $40 in allowance. What we would like you to do is suggest a game in this thread that you think I should buy. The game should be roughly $40 at Coolstuff Inc (shipping not included) and needs to be in stock. It could be a game I should add to my collection or one you would like Marty and I to preview for you on the podcast. I will evaluate the list and pick from it.

Thanks for playing and appreciate the input.

I finally got Suburbia and it's fantastic! $39.99. Would love to see how that goes over for you.
I would also second Survive!

Also Shipyard $38.99. I just got this game am excited to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I reiterate. This is Sparta!
mbmbmbmbmb
UNCFanatik wrote:
Hanabi $9.99
Bruges Borderline at $40.99
Dominare $39.99
Rex: Final Days of an Empire $39.99
Infamy $33.49

And 2 lighter games:

Space Cadets: Dice Duel $34.99
Going, Going, GONE! $33.49

That's $232.93! Slightly over his $40.00 budget! ;-)

(but all good choices!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game $33.49 at CSI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Risley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the podcast hadn't shown up yet in iTunes when I downloaded this morning, I haven't heard the episode yet. But I'm venturing my opinion based on what you've posted here. Looking at your ratings, I think you would probably enjoy either Trains or Suburbia. But as Marty has Trains, I'm going to replace that with an odd ball choice for my second pick. Based on your ranking Pillars as a 10, I'm going to say Fresco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terror in Meeple City
I haven't played it yet....but it looks like a lot of fun! I have been dying to order it but I have managed to hold off on it thus far. An in depth review might help me make up my mind once and for all. So, that's my entirely selfish suggestion.

Also, plus one to: Race for the Galaxy

Since you enjoy Eminent Domain and Puerto Rico I am confident you would really enjoy it. I know I do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i suggest The Downfall of Pompeii @31.50 (yes it is a reprint)

it is a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony McRee
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep them coming, love the suggestions so far. I do have Sunrise City by Clever Mojo and have yet to get it to the table, but I know it isn't Suburbia, but wonder how close it is?

I am researching each as you send them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
damcree wrote:
Keep them coming, love the suggestions so far. I do have Sunrise City by Clever Mojo and have yet to get it to the table, but I know it isn't Suburbia, but wonder how close it is?

It's pretty unique from anything I've played.
I love these guys, they did a good job with their Suburbia review.
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/37908/suburbia/shut-up-sit-do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sitting Duck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November is a Sisyphean crisis management game in the manner of games like Pandemic. The premise is these Dragonlance style gnomes have taken the experimental submarine Red November on its maiden voyage and Murphy's Law has struck with a vengeance. The object is to keep the various systems from going critical until the rescue party arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sittingduck1313 wrote:
Red November is a Sisyphean crisis management game in the manner of games like Pandemic. The premise is these Dragonlance style gnomes have taken the experimental submarine Red November on its maiden voyage and Murphy's Law has struck with a vengeance. The object is to keep the various systems from going critical until the rescue party arrives.

Red November would be an excellent choice for "Coop" Tony! only $19.99 at CSI. He would even have cash left over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few I've been wanting to get:

Takenoko
The Castles of Burgundy
The Manhattan Project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts - prices are from Amazon. BGG score in ()

Newer:

I seem to recall you said you had not tried Pandemic: In the Lab (6.525) but you like the game. ~$30. Must have expansion IMHO. I've read there are ways to sleeve the old version to make it work.

Compounded (6.184) $30.50 - euro cube transformer with a chemistry theme

For old(er) games - some of my favorites under $40:

Any crayon rails game... starting with Empire Builder (6.598) - ~$24
Empire Builder

Nuclear War (6.036) $25.76
Nuclear War
1960's card game. Silly fun take that card game - tournament still played at Origins every year. Several expansions avail.

Lords of Vegas (6.761) $40.50
Lords of Vegas
I'll donate the $0.50 if you pick up this awesome game. Area control with dice. Expansion coming out this year.

Sentinels of the Multiverse (7.353) $28
Sentinels of the Multiverse
You said you like comics. I think this is the best superhero card game so far. It is a co-op and you like those too. Lots of expansion opportunities. Make sure you get 2nd ed.

Race for the Galaxy (7.82) $24
Race for the Galaxy
Just the base game - all the expansions add but I'm happy with just playing the original. This is similar to Eminent Domain which you own but different enough, faster and better.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
UNCFanatik wrote:

I love this game. Better with larger groups and some do not like it's frantic pace so it is hard for me to get to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got Suburbia and it's fantastic! $39.99. [/q]

When I looked up Suburbia it was over $40. I'd definitely put this on your list. City building similar to the old Sim City games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
damcree wrote:

Sunrise City and Suburbia are two completely different games. Both are good. I prefer Suburbia because I feel like I'm really building more of an interacting City than Sunrise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At $39.99, I would recommend City Hall! It is a pre-order, but it should be available this month, Feb 2014. I would love to hear some opinions on it as it looks great and has been compared favourably to Goa.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Coffee
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
If I remember correctly, you like card games.

I'll support those that say Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gould
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
jestatharogue.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam Park is good for all occasions, and with the family
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Patino
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fYI.. Sunrise City is getting an expansion called "Nightlife". Cannot wait to see what that brings to the table. Daughter wipes the floor clean with me when I play that game with her!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend: Battlestar Galactica, Rampage, or City of Iron.

I've played Rampage and liked it enough to ordered my own copy. You might like the cards and deck-building aspect of City of Iron, which I haven't played but think looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Risley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Berentski wrote:
You might like the cards and deck-building aspect of City of Iron, which I haven't played but think looks interesting.

I'd like to see them play City of Iron, but I'm nervous about recommending he buy it until I knew he liked it. It's a complicated game, and I mean no offense to them by saying that. I've played it four times and still am learning what cards to buy and play when, which resources to go for, what lands are worth the distance cost vs point possibilities, etc. Wish I were closer and could loan it to them for a while. I'd love to see them try his newest game Eight-Minute Empire: Legends. But it's out of stock at CSI and at $35 on Amazon, which is too much for the game. And at $25 would be an awkward price for a $40 budget. Unless he bundles it with something like Council of Verona, which is another great small game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |