Christopher Hatchitt
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am heading from Iowa to Columbus, Ohio this weekend with my son to the NUWAY National Youth Wrestling Duals and the NCAA D1 National Duals at Ohio State University.

We will be staying at the Red Roof Inn Downtown Columbus, 111 E. Nationwide Blvd. Can anyone recommend any good gaming stores around this area, or a few miles away?

I know that there has to be some good ones since Origins is held there.

Thanks!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The four I know of are:
The Soldiery
The Guard Tower
Ravenstone Games
Fog of Dusk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of any games stores, but the CABS has a weekly meeting this Saturday (Columbus Area Boardgaming Society). It's sort of like a mini-con every week with around 125 in average attendance and their entire library that is available at Origins. Definitely recommend checking it out if you have the time.
http://www.buckeyeboardgamers.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I Haven't been there yet, but Kingmakers is open now:

http://kingmakerscolumbus.com/

http://www.columbusunderground.com/kingmakers-board-game-par...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ankur Gupta
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can speak highly of the Guard Tower. It had a good selection when I was there. I've visited that as an out-of-towner and liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Horne
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two stores: http://www.thesoldiery.com/; http://theguardtowergames.com/

Also, two boardgamey things to do while you're here:

1. The Columbus Area Board Game Society have a sprawling library of games and they happen to be meeting Saturday starting at 10 AM and running until way late. First visit is free, so you could check it out. http://www.buckeyeboardgamers.org/

2. We also have a new board game cafe called Kingmakers. You pay 5 bucks for the day and can play all you want. Supposedly very casual atmosphere with beer on tap. I haven't made it out yet, but even my non-gamer friends have enjoyed it. http://kingmakerscolumbus.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there was a shop in columbus that had a KS up a month or so ago as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nelson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Packrat Comics (www.packratcomics.com) in nearby Hilliard. They have comics on one side of the building, but they have a nice selection of board games on the other side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
If you are coming in on I70 you can stop in at Guard Tower on the way, just get off on the Wilson Rd heading north on Wilson. Turn right onto Trabue Rd, Guard Tower will be on the left side of the road in little shopping center just past Hague Ave. The Soldiery is going to be the closest store to your hotel. It is a few miles up North High St. I hope you enjoy the meet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jeffries
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my really good friends opened Kingmakers. I haven't been there yet, but she (nickname: "Sherm") said that they serve beer and gourmet pretzels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hatchitt
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I will be driving 169 miles on I70 so I will stop tat the store out of town. I'll hit the ones around the hotel too. We will have to make a plan of attack to hit all of the forementioned stores. Looking forward to the store with the beer and my son will love the pretzels!

Now I've got some planning to do. We will be driving on Saturday and have weigh-ins for the NUWAY duals at 7 PM so we may not have too much time to shop around before then. Leaving on Tuesday morning so we will have a few evenings to mess around.

Please feel free to post any more insites!!!

Thanks,
Chris and Gabe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hupp
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Allons-y!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the Guard Tower, good selection, great customer service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchman wrote:
Thanks everyone! I will be driving 169 miles on I70 so I will stop tat the store out of town. I'll hit the ones around the hotel too. We will have to make a plan of attack to hit all of the forementioned stores. Looking forward to the store with the beer and my son will love the pretzels!

Now I've got some planning to do. We will be driving on Saturday and have weigh-ins for the NUWAY duals at 7 PM so we may not have too much time to shop around before then. Leaving on Tuesday morning so we will have a few evenings to mess around.

Please feel free to post any more insites!!!

Thanks,
Chris and Gabe

Kingmaker's isn't a store, but a board game café. They have games to play, for a $5 library fee, drinks (unique sodas and beer), and pretzels. But, you can't buy any games there.

Guard Tower is on your way, just off I-70, so that's the easiest one to visit. The Soldiery is just up High Street, so not that difficult, and has a bigger selection of games.

If you're looking to play games, CABS would be the place to be on Saturday. Since your first visit is free, it's a bargain for you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alyindar wrote:
+1 for the Guard Tower, good selection, great customer service!

My only problem with the Guard Tower is that having all those games out where I can't resist touching them means I cave and buy something every time I go in there. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hatchitt
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the itinerary. We won't be in to Columbus until 5-6 PM on Saturday so looks like CABS may be out for Saturday. We have weighins at 7 PM that night. Maybe we can swing over after dinner. I'll have to see how late they are open.

We will be wrestling all day Sunday. Last round that day starts at 8:30 PM. Looks like on Monday we will have some time in the afternoon/evening. Will definitely hit the Kingmaker Cafe. That sounds pretty cool.

We will be defintiley hitting the Guard Tower on the way out of town on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone for your help! Gabe is as excited about the gaming experience as he is as wrestling.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nelson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CABS will be open until about 3am, so that is covered!

However, Kingmakers is closed on Mondays.

Welcome to Columbus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchman wrote:
Got the itinerary. We won't be in to Columbus until 5-6 PM on Saturday so looks like CABS may be out for Saturday. We have weighins at 7 PM that night. Maybe we can swing over after dinner. I'll have to see how late they are open.

We will be wrestling all day Sunday. Last round that day starts at 8:30 PM. Looks like on Monday we will have some time in the afternoon/evening. Will definitely hit the Kingmaker Cafe. That sounds pretty cool.

We will be defintiley hitting the Guard Tower on the way out of town on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone for your help! Gabe is as excited about the gaming experience as he is as wrestling.

Chris

Monday night is Board Game Night at The Soldiery. Open play of games players bring or from their demo library of games.

As Dan said, CABS is open late. The doors rarely close before 3:00 am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nelson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Hatchman wrote:

Chris

Monday night is Board Game Night at The Soldiery. Open play of games players bring or from their demo library of games.

As Dan said, CABS is open late. The doors rarely close before 3:00 am.

Oh yeah...I forgot about open gaming night at The Soldiery on Monday nights...blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hatchitt
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! The Soldiery is added to the list and CABS is back on!!

Thanks everyone!
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hatchitt
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer on the Kingsmaker for Monday. We will have to fit it in somewhere else. Gabe was so looking forward to their pretzels. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hatchman wrote:
Bummer on the Kingsmaker for Monday. We will have to fit it in somewhere else. Gabe was so looking forward to their pretzels. LOL

If you must have the bretzle they have a stall in the north market which is across from the convention center about a half block off of High St.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls