Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently posted a thread asking about North Seattle game stores and got quite a response. I really appreciated the comments.

From June 24 to July 7, I'll be spending two weeks in Daly City. Are there any "must see" game stores in the Bay Area? I particularly like game stores that have good (even obscure) wargames, miniatures painting supplies, and a used/consignment section. I'm also looking for some Formula De tracks. If there's something gaming related that I absolutely cannot miss, I'd love to hear about that also. (BTW, I already know about the Sony Playstation store at the Metreon. I've been there before and will definitely spend time there again this trip.)

Also, since I'll be staying with in-laws, I'd love it if somebody is willing to take a few hours to teach me ASL at a store that sells the ASLSKs. It'll be a good chance for me to get out of the house, away from the in-laws, and learn a system I've been wanting to try out. Right now, the only days NOT available are the Sundays (I can't miss Church!), and June 29. On the 29th, I'll probably be the SOLE Texas Ranger fan at the interleague afternoon game vs. the Giants.

I also did a search for any gaming CONS that weekend but found no results. If there's a Con on those weeks anywhere in the Bay Area, let me know about it. I'll probably attend.

Finally, if anybody knows of a good place to get some Japanese toys and other stuff, I'd love to visit those sites too.

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are at the Metreon, check out the nearby Jeffrey's Toys and Games on Market just east of 3rd Street. Reasonable collection of Euros, a few GMT wargames, and some miniatures stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Kastle has Formula De and several maps.

They have some GMT games, a few Avalanche press games, a wall of eurogames, paints and miniatures ( mostly GW, PP, FOW, but some Foundry, Confrontation etc.)

The Bay Area ASL group meets there once a month. The current schedule meeting is Sat June 24, but it may be rescheduled for June 31.

They are located at
19 Washington St
Santa Clara, CA 95050.

Since the demise of GameScape Palo Alto I think there aren't any local stores that have many used or consignment games. Perhaps Gamescape SF and GameScape north have used games, but I haven't been to either store in 2+ years.

The Metreon is definitely very cool. There is a GW store there too, if that floats your boat.

Rangers fan? At least its better than Yankees/Red Sox/Cowboys/Sooners fan. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Gamescape in SF, 333 Divisadero (Oak & Divisadero).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alper
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Gator Games, in San Mateo (4212 Olympic Ave)
is reasonably close to Daly City on the peninsula.

http://www.gatorgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Gator Games in San Mateo. They have a very large collection of used games. They even have a list online: http://www.gatorgames.com/

They are closed on Mondays, but open all other days. Good folks. Their owner is online at BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/usersearch.php3?username=gatorg...=

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alper
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinx! Wow, we posted that within 1 minute of each other; yours was more informative than mine, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
I would definitely encourage you to make the trip to the East Bay to go to EndGame and/or Games of Berkeley. Both are excellent stores with a large selection of games. Game Kastle in Santa Clara is also good.

EndGame gets the nod for me in terms of service and playing space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you are interested in historical miniatures I know of no better store than Sierra Toy Soldier:

http://sierratoysoldier.com/

Directions:

http://sierratoysoldier.com/Store.htm

Amazing stock. Jaw dropping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figrim
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Daly City? You'll be just a stone's throw from San Francisco State University, where my gaming group, The Gamers' Conclave, meets several times weekly.
One of the guys in our (extended) group has been looking for people to play ASL with for a while, so if you want, I could see if I can get ahold of him.
Other than that, we've got a whole mess of board games, both in my personal collection (check my profile) and in the club's library (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GamersConclave/database?...), and I'm happy to bring any of them. We usually have about 10-15 gamers show up, although I don't know how many will be coming during the summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Lafayette
CO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, we have a gaming club that meets the last Saturday of every month in Foster City. Here's the club URL:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/boardgameaddicts/

At least three members (myself included) are ASL players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
[quote] Finally, if anybody knows of a good place to get some Japanese toys and other stuff, I'd love to visit those sites too.[/quote]

Kid Robot & Giant Robot, both on Haight (well, Giant Robot is technically just off it, round the corner from Ameoba Records). Kid Robot rocks. Small shop, but great selection of Japanese toys, t-shirts, "stuff". Same with Giant Robot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Finally, if anybody knows of a good place to get some Japanese toys and other stuff, I'd love to visit those sites too.

Kid Robot & Giant Robot, both on Haight (well, Giant Robot is technically just off it, round the corner from Ameoba Records). Kid Robot rocks. Small shop, but great selection of Japanese toys, t-shirts, "stuff". Same with Giant Robot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely check out Gator Games. I saw several Formula De track boards there about 10 days ago. Don't remember which ones though, sorry.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rio Chang
United States
Walnut
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Japanese Toys, there's J-town Collectibles in J-town - Geary between Filmore & Webster. It's in the J-town mall on the floor below the bookstore.

There's also Double Punch. They have an online site. www.ningyoushi.com

If you're in the East Bay, you can go to Kimono My House. http://www.kimonomyhousetoys.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jacob rohrer
United States
jackson
California
flag msg tools
crusader4x wrote:

Im personally not into the whole new age of Japanese cool toys that kid robot, double punch, and giant robot carry. They tend to gravitate towards the whole hip asian street vinyl and cool t-shirts thing which just isnt for me. Or maybe I'm just too old? So my suggestions are going to be a bit more traditional on toys and shows that I grew up with as a kid (70's and 80's).

If you are into Japanese Sci Fi Monster Vinyls aka (Kaiju) for Ultraman and Godzilla, Super 7 is a must visit. They are also convienently located across the street from Japan town. http://www.super7store.com/

Heroes Club on clement, has a ton of Sci Fi, Military, Bruce Lee, and Anime Medicom's (dolls) and statues. Great place to look, but a bad place to buy, as their prices are totally unreasonable. http://artoftoy.stores.yahoo.net/

Kimono My house in the east bay as already mentioned is a must see if you are into vintage diecast. Not the best place to pick up new stuff, but great for older stuff. Kimono My House is probably as close you are going to get to what a Japanese Toy Store in Japan looks like here in the States.
http://www.kimonomyhousetoys.com/shop.cgi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ein210 wrote:
Kimono My House is probably as close you are going to get to what a Japanese Toy Store in Japan looks like here in the States.
http://www.kimonomyhousetoys.com/shop.cgi

That's exactly what I am looking for, the closest to what a Japanese Toy store looks like in Japan.

I lived in Okinawa, South Korea, and Hawaii as a child. I grew up loving Mazinger Z, Raiden, Ultraman, Kikaider, Macross, Star Blazers and the Kamen Riders. It's the old 70-80's style die cast I'm looking for. I'm also a huge Gundam Seed fan so any Gundam Seed die cast would be a bonus.

I appreciate all of the comments. Because my trip to SF is still a few weeks away, please feel free to continue to post comments here. On the 23rd of June, I'll hit the "printer friendly" button of this thread and print it out for my trip. While I'm in SF (Daly City to be precise), I will have internet connectivity so I'll be sure to post my experiences and check out any new comments.

Keep them coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jacob rohrer
United States
jackson
California
flag msg tools
You definitely need to go to Kimono my House then. I would call before you head over, as their hours are somewhat sporadic at times. Its also a bit hard to locate as its literally on the roof of a warehouse so getting detailed instructions from them on the phone is always helpful if you are not familiar with the area.

Kimono my house has lots of old vintage Popy diecast for Raideen and Mazinga Z. They also have dedicated sections for Yamato (aka Star Blazers), Kamen Rider, Ultraman, and Macross including a few of the old Takatoku diecast valkyries.

If you go there and you don’t see exactly what you are looking for ask the clerk. Kimono my House has a pretty extensive storehouse of toys that is not on display that they can grab from if you have an item specifically requested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kimono My House is small and cramped, but it's definitely got some unique fun items. After you go there, you can go to Kitty's for a drink, or go to Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe that is right next to Pixar. They have a Guiness chocolate espresso shake that is pure evil. Evil!

Gator Games is groovy, as is Endgame in Oakland if you end up in East Bay at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to BUMP this thread to get any more reponses before I leave for SF this Saturday.
Any other contributions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I arrived in Daly City yesterday night and went to Church today. Tomorrow evening I'm planning on going to Game Kastle for a minis painting clinic TOMORROW! It seems that they have a painting clinic/workshop on Mondays and Fridays. Has anybody been there? Are the clinics good? What's the difference between the Monday and Friday painting clinics/workshops? If I had to choose between either a Monday or Friday, which day should I go?

Also, I'm waiting for a response from somebody of the gaming group that meets at San Francisco University. Depending on what games they have going, I'll probably head out there one evening.

I'm not sure when yet but I WILL be taking the Bart over to Eastbay and checking out the game and toy stores mentioned in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I can't comment on the minis painting at GameKastle -- while I've seen them doing it, I've no particular appreciation of minis or the painting thereof. Another place you might consider is SB-Boardgamers. They meet in the Yahoo! cafeteria every Monday. They're pretty heavily Euro-game focused, tho they're organising a game of Dune for tomorrow night. I'll probably try and gather some of the stragglers for Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to San Rafael, which is norht of San Francisco about 15-20 miles, or about a 10-15 minute drive from the golden gate with no traffic on 4th street between b and C there is a GameScape that has a very large selection of minitures and games. They also have thursday game nights where you can play board games for free and other events. They also have a minitures painting class on some saturdays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I missed the painting at Game Kastle. Instead I took my fam to the Mrs. Grossman's sticker factory in Petaluma and the Charles Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa. This took all day and now I'm too tired to do too much. I'll have to try the painting clinic thingy at Game Kastle either Friday or next week.

My plans so far are to go to the Metreon tomorrow and check out the GW store (I don't know why), the Playstation store, and Jeffrey's Toys and Games. Wednesday I'll have the kids with me as I try to sneak off to Gator Games. Friday is going to be my East Bay trip to Games of Berkley, Endgames, and that Kimono My House toy store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I went off to Gator Games on Wednesday and they're having a 20% off for Independence Day sale. I bought Through the Desert and the newest No Quarter magazine. I was REALLY tempted to get NY Chase, Power Grid, and/or Ticket to Ride but did not. I got to have something to look forward to while visiting other game stores right?

Today I went to the Rangers/Giants game and watched my Rangers get swept right out of San Francisco 2-1. Barry Bonds DID NOT play and there were NO homeruns whatsoever. That makes the Rangers 0-4 whenever I've seen them play "live" at a ballpark. Perhaps they'll do better if I stop being their lone fan west of the Rockies...

Tomorrow is a big day. Other than being PAYDAY, I'll be taking my family to the East Bay to see the Habitot Children's Museum. After that, I'll be off to Games of Berkeley, Kimono My House, and Endgame. Tomorrow evening, if I get home in time, I'm heading to Game Kastle for their painting workshop. I really don't know how I'll afford all that I'm going to want to buy. If I don't see things cheaper elsewhere, I'll definitely head back to Gator Games for their 20% sale and pick up at least one more game.

If you guys think of anything else to do, let me know! I still have almost an entire week to do things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |