Subject: Spring is Coming 2014 US-Only Math Trade (DISCUSSION) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
Microbadge: Twitch fanMicrobadge: Merry Christmas, you filthy animalsMicrobadge: Nintendo Switch fanMicrobadge: Golden CamelMicrobadge: Dragon Dice fan
regex wrote:
Hi,

I live outside the US but I have a US address for the reception of shipment.

Can I participate? I will cover shipping costs from Israel to the US, so other than the slightly longer shipping time, me being outside the US is completely transparent to everyone else.

Thanks
Not to speak for the person running this particular math trade, but as long as you vocalize that you have a US shipping address and use it for people sending you packages, it's usually been fine in the past.

Also, some people outside the US have participated, covered shipping costs, and only requested things like GG and GC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Microbadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: I'm a walking billboard. (Now leasing.)Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Suffers from Psychomagnesis - I attract crazy women
regex wrote:
Hi,

Can I participate? I will cover shipping costs from Israel to the US, so other than the slightly longer shipping time, me being outside the US is completely transparent to everyone else.

Thanks
I would post this in every item of yours.. but I see no real reason you can't. But ultimately it is up to the MTO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob H. T.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Futurama fanMicrobadge: Studio Ghibli fanMicrobadge: Green Bay Packers fanMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Rattus fan
Taloncarde wrote:
Hey I like Minnesota. They gave me a hockey team
If I was from Minnesota, I think that would have devasted me.

This is a state that still hasn't gotten over a missed field goal in '99. People here dwell on the past. I see North Star jerseys; I hear radio programs talking about what it would take to get Kevin Garnett back. The sport fans here are so sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Microbadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: I'm a walking billboard. (Now leasing.)Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Suffers from Psychomagnesis - I attract crazy women
MinnesotaPenguin wrote:
Taloncarde wrote:

This is a state that still hasn't gotten over a missed field goal in '99. People here dwell on the past. I see North Star jerseys; I hear radio programs talking about what it would take to get Kevin Garnett back. The sport fans here are so sad.
Ever been to cleveland? You want to see sad sports fans....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Go Bears!Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan - Walter PaytonMicrobadge: On a crusade to spread Eurogames
corkysru wrote:
MinnesotaPenguin wrote:
Taloncarde wrote:

Actually I think Cleveland fans are in the "Anger" stage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
jmsmith2434 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
MinnesotaPenguin wrote:
Taloncarde wrote:

Actually I think Cleveland fans are in the "Anger" stage
I think they moved beyond that. It's more resignation now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: The Geek Die Roller Hates MeMicrobadge: 2014 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG posterMicrobadge: I listed a Boardgame at the GfG Lotteries
MinnesotaPenguin wrote:
Taloncarde wrote:

They have the Wild now so it's all good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
Microbadge: Brigham Young UniversityMicrobadge: Descent fanMicrobadge: Harry Potter the book series fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Superman of Kingdom Come fan
Am I an idiot? I have listed two items in the math trade, and they don't show up in the OLWLG in my personal account. Since I fear I've done something wrong, I'd like to blank my games, but the system won't let me leave the game blank. What am I doing wrong? I've read the help/pinned posts 3 times each, but nothing seems to be working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Opinionated Gamers fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Legacy: Gears of Time fan - CrownMicrobadge: Die Burgen von Burgund fanMicrobadge: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
jacobugath wrote:
Am I an idiot? I have listed two items in the math trade, and they don't show up in the OLWLG in my personal account. Since I fear I've done something wrong, I'd like to blank my games, but the system won't let me leave the game blank. What am I doing wrong? I've read the help/pinned posts 3 times each, but nothing seems to be working.
They will show up in the OLWLG the next time the list is synced (it's done manually by the moderator).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
badge
speculative and begging for drama
Microbadge: Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; give a man a goat, and RSP argues about it for 17 pages.Microbadge: PsychologistMicrobadge: The Resistance: Avalon fanMicrobadge: I'm genderqueer/nonbinary!Microbadge: Gold Folding@Home donator
Is there a way to make the OLWLG show my RPG and Video games I have for trade in the menu where I can add things to my trades? No huge deal if not, just curious. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2019Microbadge: The Chosen One - A Chain of Generosity winnerMicrobadge: Thumbs up for the 2018 Geek Supporter Drive Rummage-O-RamaMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
corkysru wrote:
regex wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
I would post this in every item of yours.. but I see no real reason you can't. But ultimately it is up to the MTO.
I am inclined to agree with this. The key component is that no one is asked to ship anything outside of the US, so if you can provide a US address, I see no reason to bar you. However, as Corkysru suggests, if you intend to ship -from- Israel, I would note that in each of your offers so that people understand it will be a significantly longer shipping time.

Also, please bear in mind that ultimately you are responsible for insuring that the recipient receive their item, or somehow make good if something happens. You would assume the extra risk inherent in international shipping to the recipient in that case.

If all that is ok, then go for it, and welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Transformers fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 2016 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2017
So some of the boxes on my want list are yellow, I have never seen that before in any of my 5 previous math trades.

What does this mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua H
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: TARDISMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Vlaada Chvátil fanMicrobadge: Czech Games Edition fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fan
jessecuster3 wrote:
So some of the boxes on my want list are yellow, I have never seen that before in any of my 5 previous math trades.

What does this mean?

Basically it means that the OLWLG thinks that you forgot to check that box. If it thinks that you value one of your games less than another, but you put an item on the wantlist for the higher valued game but not the lower valued game, it'll mark it as yellow.

You can freely ignore it if it's not helpful.

Edit: In other words, let's say you have a copy of Space Hulk 3rd Edition and Fluxx. Normally, you'll have a bunch of games in the list for Fluxx (you'd trade it for almost anything you're interested in) and only a few for Space Hulk (you're only willing to trade it for an item of comparable value).

If, then, you put a lot of Dominion+expansions on your wantlist for Space Hulk, but not for Fluxx, the OLWLG will mark that checkbox yellow, because it assumes you'd also be happy to trade Fluxx for Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: 2010 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2018 Secret Santa participant
Can I put a gift card up, and then say I'll trade it for lesser valued cards?

It's the same logic as allowing 1 for 1 trades, right? Unless I'm missing something. Except in this case I'm only hurting my 'value?' And maybe facilitating more trades?

Anyway, Moderator, I just wondered. Thanks!

(Or alternatively, does anyone want 40 dollars in L.L. Bean gift cards for a sweet deal in amazon ones?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: 2010 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2018 Secret Santa participant
Lemem wrote:
Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of selecting multiple copies of the same game in the OLWLG? Does it give me a better chance of getting a copy of the game I am interested in? Sorry this is my first trade but you guys seem to be very friendly around here
Pros, you get a better chance at getting the game! And might end up with ten copies of it!

Cons, you might end up with ten copies of it. For something valuable, this isn't too much an issue. Or for something like netrunner or X-wing where you want multiples.

Duplicate protection can help you, but if this is your first trade it might be kinda confusing. People have probably posted links explaining it already. Or the search function can find them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua H
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: TARDISMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Vlaada Chvátil fanMicrobadge: Czech Games Edition fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fan
Lemem wrote:
Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of selecting multiple copies of the same game in the OLWLG? Does it give me a better chance of getting a copy of the game I am interested in? Sorry this is my first trade but you guys seem to be very friendly around here
Yes but.

If you have more than one item in the trade, and you add multiple copies of the same game to your wantlists for those items, you run the risk of receiving multiple copies of the same game.

Go here and watch video #4 about Duplicate Protection. Duplicate protection lets you create one "dummy" (virtual) item that represents all of the copies of a game.

So, let's say there are three copies of Ticket to Ride, and you'd be happy with any of them. Rather than adding each item (Ticket1, Ticket2, and Ticket3) to your wantlists, you add them to the want lists for a new item, TicketDummy. You then add TicketDummy to your wantlists.

Because TicketDummy can trade for Ticket1, Ticket2, or Ticket3, you can get any of them for the items that want Ticket To Ride. But since there's only one "copy" of TicketDummy, as soon as you trade for it.

So, essentially, your trade looks something like this:

Munchkin Receives TicketDummy
TicketDummy Receives Ticket2
Ticket2 Receives Munchkin*

Now, Formula D can't get Ticket1 or Ticket3, because you've already received TicketDummy. You can think of it like a single use coupon for any copy of Ticket To Ride.

Since this trade has such a long window for wantlist submission, you have plenty of time to make sure that your duplicate protection is doing what you want to do. Once the item addition window is done and we're into submitting wantlists, you can ask around for someone to take a look at your duplicate protection settings. I'd be happy to take a look, and I know in the past a few other folks have done the same.

*it's more likely that this is a chain of a bunch of items that eventually gets back to Munchkin, but go with me here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Wehrman
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
Please contact me about playing 18xx in Southern California.
badge
Hello cursor.
Microbadge: Cardboard Klatch MemberMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Follow me on Instagram
Fauxreigner wrote:
Yes but.

If you have more than one item in the trade, and you add multiple copies of the same game to your wantlists for those items, you run the risk of receiving multiple copies of the same game.

Go here and watch video #4 about Duplicate Protection. Duplicate protection lets you create one "dummy" (virtual) item that represents all of the copies of a game.

So, let's say there are three copies of Ticket to Ride, and you'd be happy with any of them. Rather than adding each item (Ticket1, Ticket2, and Ticket3) to your wantlists, you add them to the want lists for a new item, TicketDummy. You then add TicketDummy to your wantlists.

Because TicketDummy can trade for Ticket1, Ticket2, or Ticket3, you can get any of them for the items that want Ticket To Ride. But since there's only one "copy" of TicketDummy, as soon as you trade for it.

So, essentially, your trade looks something like this:

Munchkin Receives TicketDummy
TicketDummy Receives Ticket2
Ticket2 Receives Munchkin*

Now, Formula D can't get Ticket1 or Ticket3, because you've already received TicketDummy. You can think of it like a single use coupon for any copy of Ticket To Ride.

Since this trade has such a long window for wantlist submission, you have plenty of time to make sure that your duplicate protection is doing what you want to do. Once the item addition window is done and we're into submitting wantlists, you can ask around for someone to take a look at your duplicate protection settings. I'd be happy to take a look, and I know in the past a few other folks have done the same.

*it's more likely that this is a chain of a bunch of items that eventually gets back to Munchkin, but go with me here
Ok, thanks a lot! It makes a lot more sense. I will be sure to hit up for a review of my first duplicate protection settings. This is so exiting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I beat my original list of 10 games for 2019 VGG challengeMicrobadge: Steam userMicrobadge: Good Old Games fanMicrobadge: PlayStation 4 fanMicrobadge: Nintendo Switch fan
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
agentzen wrote:
corkysru wrote:
MinnesotaPenguin wrote:
So, everyone that is shipping to "lower 48 only" means they are not shipping to Alaska or Hawaii right?

What would anyone have against Minnesota?
Ignorance. That's what people have against Minnesota!!
Minnesota knows what it did.
I think we all 'know' what it did.
I think it's pretty obvious.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Oh come on! You didn't think I was really going to spoil it did you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2019Microbadge: The Chosen One - A Chain of Generosity winnerMicrobadge: Thumbs up for the 2018 Geek Supporter Drive Rummage-O-RamaMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
scifiantihero wrote:

It's the same logic as allowing 1 for 1 trades, right? Unless I'm missing something. Except in this case I'm only hurting my 'value?' And maybe facilitating more trades?

(Or alternatively, does anyone want 40 dollars in L.L. Bean gift cards for a sweet deal in amazon ones?)
The one exception I posted for gift cards allows for different types of gift cards to be traded for the same value. Ie, $40 of ll bean for $40 of amazon. On the surface I think if you wanted to put in a request for, say, $20 of amazon for your $40 of ll bean it could be ok,since it is sort of reverse arbitrage. However it would have to trade through someone else by definition because the $20 amazon item could not put in a request for your $40 ll bean directly.

But I'm willing to hear other thoughts on this, this is just my first impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Van Winkle
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Burrito loverMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Charles Stross fanMicrobadge: Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition) RPG fanMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
I am trying to log into the OLWLG. It keeps telling me it has sent a Geekmail but I have received nothing.

Is this happening to others or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: It is working now thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua H
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
To me, trading down in GC value is fine, since it doesn't violate the spirit or purpose of the arbitrage rule (which exists to stop arbitragers from exploiting how Trademax works to siphon cash for free.)

hestiansun wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

The one exception I posted for gift cards allows for different types of gift cards to be traded for the same value. Ie, $40 of ll bean for $40 of amazon. On the surface I think if you wanted to put in a request for, say, $20 of amazon for your $40 of ll bean it could be ok,since it is sort of reverse arbitrage. However it would have to trade through someone else by definition because the $20 amazon item could not put in a request for your $40 ll bean directly.

But I'm willing to hear other thoughts on this, this is just my first impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord"Microbadge: The shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”Microbadge: While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger.Microbadge: The star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.Microbadge: After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”
Fauxreigner wrote:
To me, trading down in GC value is fine, since it doesn't violate the spirit or purpose of the arbitrage rule (which exists to stop arbitragers from exploiting how Trademax works to siphon cash for free.)
I agree with this. Trading even or trading down is not an attempt to exploit the system or get something for free. I think it should be acceptable to give a GC in exchange for another GC of equal or lower value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord"Microbadge: The shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”Microbadge: While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger.Microbadge: The star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.Microbadge: After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”
Can someone recommend a checkbox add-on for Firefox that works with OLWLG?

I know people have used them successfully with OLWLG, but the couple that I've tried (CheckFox and Multiple Checkbox Checker) don't seem to work. I could be doing it wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Math Trade Moderator
OverEngineered wrote:

I know people have used them successfully with OLWLG, but the couple that I've tried (CheckFox and Multiple Checkbox Checker) don't seem to work. I could be doing it wrong though.

I use checkboxmate - although you may need to install greasemonkey first to get it to work with newer versions of firefox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
OverEngineered wrote:

I forget which one I used to use, but I stopped using them after one time when it somehow accidentally did a lot of clicking that wasn't intentional. Fortunately I always doublecheck my submission list in text format, and I caught what it had done.

This isn't to say you shouldn't use them, only that I had a bad experience with one and stopped using it. But you can probably safely use them if you do a manual doublecheck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] |