Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can catch it right away, sure go ahead and delete. I don't want to get into starting to qualify what is considered "right away", so I would say use your best judgment on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one setup duplicate protection for just one item? Any good videos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you need duplicate protection on one item?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantheron wrote:
Because I don't want more than one copy. That's the point if protection. I have 6 items up for trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Mantheron wrote:
Because I don't want more than one copy. That's the point if protection. I have 6 items up for trade.
It sounded like you meant you only had one item up for trade.

Part 4 of this is the one that covers duplicate protection.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/568078/math-trade-video-tuto...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Mantheron wrote:
I think the confusion is around how you worded your question.

Check the "helpful links" section in the main listing. Spring is Coming 2014 US-only Math Trade - ENDED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If all 6 of your items are against one singular other item, it's only possible to get it once.

Dupe protection is for when you want some thing that is available multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I'll add this to the requests list too, but I have a ton of items for trade that I would be happy to the MT, so if you have a chance and interest, skim this list and GM me with items of interest:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/grandslam?trade...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Mantheron wrote:
A single geeklist item you can't get multiple copies of, even if it has a copies option.

Otherwise if you mean you don't want multiple copies of Small World, since many people are listing it. That's normal duplicate protection, and I don't understand what you mean by single item. Any dup-prot guide should work, although I haven't actually looked at one, come to think of it.

If you mean that you don't want to trade two geeklist items for 1 thing, that doesn't happen in math trades.

If you mean that you don't want to chance trading all 6 geeklist items, then you put some of them in a single item and make it a "pick 1" or "pick x points" listing it as an Outside the Scope... with an altname.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Mantheron wrote:
A single geeklist item you can't get multiple copies of, even if it has a copies option.

Otherwise if you mean you don't want multiple copies of Small World, since many people are listing it. That's normal duplicate protection, and I don't understand what you mean by single item. Any dup-prot guide should work, although I haven't actually looked at one, come to think of it.

If you mean that you don't want to trade two geeklist items for 1 thing, that doesn't happen in math trades.

If you mean that you don't want to chance trading all 6 geeklist items, then you put some of them in a single item and make it a "pick 1" or "pick x points" listing it as an Outside the Scope... with an altname.
I watched the video and get it now. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to indicate a preference for trading.

Let's say I have 10 games I'm willing to trade for Steam Park and the same 10 for Trains, is there a way to indicate that I'd like to receive Trains over Steam Park?

Alternately lets say someone is offering Saint Petersburg and someone is offering SP and the expansion as a sweetener. How would I tell the trade maximizer that I'd prefer the item that comes with the sweetener?

Thanks- I love math trades but I always feel like I'm about to make a disastrous mistake with my want list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua H
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthulgan wrote:
Is there a way to indicate a preference for trading.

Let's say I have 10 games I'm willing to trade for Steam Park and the same 10 for Trains, is there a way to indicate that I'd like to receive Trains over Steam Park?

Alternately lets say someone is offering Saint Petersburg and someone is offering SP and the expansion as a sweetener. How would I tell the trade maximizer that I'd prefer the item that comes with the sweetener?

Thanks- I love math trades but I always feel like I'm about to make a disastrous mistake with my want list.
You can't, except by being restrictive with your wantlists. It's possible to do a trade using priorities but

1: This trade isn't, it's maximizing users-traded
2: Priorities tend to not do much anyway, because TradeMax will give you a lower priority 100% of the time if that means another trade happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fauxreigner wrote:
2: Priorities tend to not do much anyway, because TradeMax will give you a lower priority 100% of the time if that means another trade happens.
That's good to know. Math trades feel a bit like gambling for a good surprise. If every game I listed gets traded I'll go broke on shipping but I've had some MT's where I listed 15 things and 2 trades went through.

It's pretty exciting and I love surprises- I just wish there was s sure fire way to get a game+sweetener over just the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Microbadge: 2011 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2013 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2019 Secret Santa participant
matthulgan wrote:
Fauxreigner wrote:
That's good to know. Math trades feel a bit like gambling for a good surprise. If every game I listed gets traded I'll go broke on shipping but I've had some MT's where I listed 15 things and 2 trades went through.

It's pretty exciting and I love surprises- I just wish there was s sure fire way to get a game+sweetener over just the game.
Don't have the "just the game" on your want list.

I do it all the time. Right now I have Kingdom Builder on my want list but only if it has an expansion (even if it is a small one).

Are you less likely to get a trade, sure, but if you really want that expansion, that is your best bet.

First rule of math trade:

Whatever the group wants the least is what you will receive.

Not a hard rule, but I have seen that happen more often than not. Logic dictates that a base game only listing will be, at best, wanted equally as much as a base game + expansion listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:

First rule of math trade:

Whatever the group wants the least is what you will receive.
Mmmmm- darn good advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Simpson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure where the best place to ask this is, but do you think Mage Knight the board game will fit in the whatever shipping option is a flat 10-12 bucks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brindelin wrote:
Not sure where the best place to ask this is, but do you think Mage Knight the board game will fit in the whatever shipping option is a flat 10-12 bucks?
Nope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first time participating in such a large math trade.

I know that after I put games on my want-list, the OLWLG will offer to automagically create some duplicate protection entries for identical games. Is there any way to get it to do that for the whole list, ahead of time?

My fallback approach will be to use a script to add all 4000+ items to my want list, use the automated duplicate protection thing, then use a script to remove all of the items. I don't want to subject their web server to that load if I can avoid it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Microbadge: 2011 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2013 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2019 Secret Santa participant
sparr0 wrote:
This is my first time participating in such a large math trade.

I know that after I put games on my want-list, the OLWLG will offer to automagically create some duplicate protection entries for identical games. Is there any way to get it to do that for the whole list, ahead of time?

My fallback approach will be to use a script to add all 4000+ items to my want list, use the automated duplicate protection thing, then use a script to remove all of the items. I don't want to subject their web server to that load if I can avoid it, though.
You have to have the items on your list for duplicate protection to work.

Edit: Also, you do have to request / initiate the duplicate protection. OLWLG will automatically generate dummy items for you at that point. Also, it won't put different versions of the same game together (Galaxy Trucker Big Box and Galaxy Trucker, Bang! and Bang! The Bullet) since they are separate entries on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua H
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:
My fallback approach will be to use a script to add all 4000+ items to my want list, use the automated duplicate protection thing, then use a script to remove all of the items.
1: If you remove an item after you add it to a duplicate protected dummy, it won't be part of that dummy anymore (if you're trying to remove it on purpose, uncheck it and commit the change just to be sure).

2: ... why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Time
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brindelin wrote:
FYI this page lists the internal sizes of each of the flat rate boxes: https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
jrp_atg wrote:
brindelin wrote:
FYI this page lists the internal sizes of each of the flat rate boxes: https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm
And always include padding around the game you are shipping, so take that into account.

You are taking a gamble sending a game with little/no protection. Especially with a USPS flat rate box. That is a thin material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Evers
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like quite a few copies of Arkham Horror being made available compared to the past several math trades.

Any thoughts on the reason behind the increase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People who owned them bought Eldritch Horror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Taloncarde wrote:
People who owned them bought Eldritch Horror?
My thoughts as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [27] |