designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Pages:

IC Thread
Information Wiki (old)
https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/Campaign%3ALegend%3AAncient_St...
Character Geeklist

Who am I looking for?

This game is for those who signed up to the Newbie Initiative. The only prerequisite is that you have not played RPGs by forum on the Geek before. Three to five people total with backups. You can be new to Legend or have used Legend or RuneQuest II before.

If you like history but with a magical flair and want to use a great system that is really flexible then this is for you. If you also like the idea of SOCIAL COMBAT that is at least on a par, if not more important than physical combat then come join in. I love Social Combat. This is where roleplay comes into its own. Physical combat can get very boring very quickly. That's not to say that I don't use both however!

What will you need?
You won't really need anything, however a copy of the rulebook in PDF form would be great to have. This can be bought from DriveThruRPG / RPGNow at http://www.rpgnow.com/product/97239/Legend for just $1 / 60 pence. You could also print out a copy of the character sheet to fill in, but I shall place a copy of this within the first page of the IC thread (you can quicklink that post to jump straight to it whenever you want).

What sort of characters will you be?

The folk of this time are hard-working, God-fearing peoples. However there isn't just one God. In any area there might be a God of the Stream (Undine), the Sun God (Sol), the Harvest Goddess (Cornflower), or even the Eagle (Soar). If you imagine our real life ancestors, those who built the Henges, Barrows, Chalk-Figures and such monuments as the Tor, Ancient walkways and the like, they are your people, or rather your grandfather's people.

Nomadic in nature, for the most part the people are settled in villages comprising of wooden roundhouses with thatched roofs and a wooden palisade and boundary ditch and mound surrounding the village. There is leeway with what type of character you play. Typical character ideas include a Gypsy; Shaman; Tracker; Blacksmith; Witch; Healer; Baker; Shepherd; Fisherman. Your character does not have to be anything special to become a Legend!

Where is this based?

Wiltshire (UK) and the surrounding prehistoric landscape. With a slight alternative timeline however. People live in clans and tribes within hut-based villages with shrines built of wooden poles or stones. For an example setting read Bernard Cornwell's Stonehenge.

How will we set up characters?

It depends on how confident you are and how much time you can dedicate to generating the character. If you have the rulebook (PDF/Dead tree) and wish to do it yourself then I can talk you through the few restrictions I will wish to place. However I am more than happy to take a basic character description from you and generate the character myself.

Gaming Requirements:

* Most importantly - ENJOY yourselves! This game is supposed to be fun, tell me if something is bugging you!!
* I would appreciate a new IC (In Character) post every couple of days, with at least 4 or 5 posts in a week, to keep the game flowing and ensure this newbie game does not take too long (it is an introduction to RPG gaming here after all, not a two year campaign!)
* Choose a colour for your character to talk in and stick to it. (Ensure it is different to other players). Use "quotes" around spoken text. Use 'Single quotes' and/or italics for 'Thoughts'.
* Keep OOC (Out Of Character) talk to the OOC thread, however small OOC notes or questions can be added to your IC post.

One of my next posts will detail formatting such as Bold, colour, italic, ooc comments, dice rolling and the like. Don't worry about these just yet, it will all be explained

Subscribe!

At the top of this thread you will see a subscribe link. Be sure to press it to get notifications whenever a new post is made in this thread! The IC (In Character) thread is where the actual game play will take place but it is not yet active. When it is be sure to subscribe to it too!

Links worth reading:

Please take a short while to read these - though I will explain dice rolling in another post once all the players are here.

Visual Guide to Basic use of the GeekRoller with examples - If nothing else, read this one!
Play-by-forum FAQ and Reference
Tips for new users in PBF games
RPG Geek User Guide

Thank you, and please enjoy my game!

Sam / Bifford
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously got up at 4:30am purely to grab a spot for the initiative and then stumbled back to bed. But I'm up now. Looking at the Legend rules too (well, soon, I'm purchasing the rules now.)

Ooo... social combat! It's been so long since I've done that. Love a good verbal battle.

Leaning towards a healer-type right now, but we'll see - I like to refine my character based on what others are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad purchase for a dollar, eh?

Well, bear in mind you do not have to be pure Healer, you could be something else as well.

I need to get some basic character creation stuff up on here, but am heading out now. So I will just say that we'll be using the Nomad class only for this as it fits with the setting best and there is no Sorcery. Anything else is fine.

You could be a divine magic user if you want, but everyone has access to common magic. Common magic however is linked (in my games) to your profession, so a blacksmith would not have spells that allow him to meld into the shadows better, but he would be able to mend and forge.

If you think of a spell you would like but it's not in the book let me know and I can write a new spell for you

THat should be enough to be getting on with...

Welcome on board!

Sam / Bifford
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based upon what I've gathered, I'm leaning towards a gentle lonesome shepherd who roams the hilly countryside with his sheep and has a tame wolf as my only friend (and maybe an alternate expression of my persona). If I have any magical ability I think it should revolve around being able to control the movement and direction of animals (including humans).

Let me know if you need more than that or if you want me to adjust anything to help you create a character.

And my name: 'Illmwai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is a pretty cool concept actually!

My only suggestion would be a story based one, and that is that you have either a son or an apprentice who can do the shepherding of your flock while you are on this mission.

I will get the basics of the characters stats done tomorrow hopefully then we can discuss finer details!

In the meantime if you could both give me/each other a brief introduction on who you are and your rpg history that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm Carrie,

and I'm a long-time RPG player and GM - though up until now, only face-to-face and never online. Hoping to change that this year.

I usually play (or run) very long campaigns, ranging from two years to five years. Sometimes we take breaks between sessions and do a "one-shot" which to us usually lasts three months... because that's how my gaming group rolls!

I'm very big into modding games or playing modded games - in fact, for the last seven years, every game I've played has had some extensive house rules added to it. Extensive to the point where we actually type-up and send out these rules. And even though we said we were going to play our current game without house rules... they kind of crept in.

I have played many different system and games: AD&D 2, D&D 3.0, D&D 3.5, D&D 4.0, Call of Cthulhu, Little Fears, L5R, Seventh Sea (d10 version), Microscope, Iron Kingdom, Deadlands, Savage Worlds, The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen, BESM (2nd Edition), HERO System 5, Shadowrun 2, Shadowrun 3, Shadowrun 4... and a couple of homebrew systems, because I can't resist a good homebrew game.

My longest running game that I was a player in was L5R, which lasted five years. It was amazing. I was very attached to my character. You can read about her here. The longest game I've GMed was a heavy-modded version of Shadowrun 2nd Edition set in the Revelation Space universe of Alastair Reynolds. To be fair, that last game did have rotating GMs, so I got a nine month break, but it ran for two years, and I started and ended the campaign.

And my face-to-face group just started a Star Wars Saga campaign where we are all playing Sith. I'm playing Grozurra, the wookie.

As my current gaming group is heavily focused on Sci-Fi, chances are the only way I will ever play fantasy games again will be through the forums. So I'm here to learn.

... and I hope that isn't too intimidating... I just love RPGs very much... (and the dice love me back...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
... and I hope that isn't too intimidating... I just love RPGs very much...

Hey Carrie, nice to meet you. That is definitely intimidating considering my level of experience with RPGs, which has been almost completely relegated to videogames. I mostly gave up on videogame RPGs after highschool. I've always loved the social aspects of board-gaming and gotten deeper into this hobby over the past 5 years, but I've discovered that no board game seems to quite scratch the itch of my childhood days spent leveling up. I've been searching for games that have character development or storytelling components, but that play quickly... I think I've been searching for a paradox.

In the last decade I've also taken up story writing as a hobby, though being back in school for my Masters of Social Work has put me in the position of mostly reading and writing academic stuff. I miss good stories. I'm hoping this venue will fulfill both of those desires: story and game.

I was very intrigued by the concept of this world that you've created as its somewhat of a hybrid between the original people of Canada, The First Nations, and the settlers of Canada. I think these people represent an alternate history I would have wished for, for Canada: a greater connection with nature, community, traditional wisdom, and spirit. I'm looking forward to entering this world.

I most commonly go by Chris. However, I consider Topher my more creative persona.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Before I say who I am, I have put up the IC thread, which has a much expanded introduction text in it. (The game advert was a cut-down version) The first two posts are some histories of my setting which I think both of you will enjoy reading. The third post is the very quick and basic premise of this short game. (More will be found out when we start playing).

First of all, I wouldn't be intimidated by Carrie's history, not when your own is so illustrious too! I could never write for a profession I don't think! Though I am starting to get into Proof-Reading for friends and some RPGs (Maelstrom: Domesday is my first foray).

Anyway, I came to RPGs in the physical gaming sense late - 2000 or thereabouts. Before that it was all computer game based, starting on my Amstrad CPC 464 with some text adventures and then graphical games; then my Amiga's (hated PCs, still do to a degree but mass-use in everything makes it my main computer now). In 2000/1 I finished UNI (Photography) and moved home to Essex for a spell before buying a flat. Walking down to the shop one night I chanced upon four people dressed in medieval style costume. Being the nosey person I am I enquired what they were doing and if there was a living history show on at the local fort. There wasn't - they were LARPers from [family=18178]Seaxe and Sorcery[/family] who every week also ran an RPG tabletop group in the hall a stones-throw from my flat. Normally they wouldn't be in their LARP costumes, but this time they were. Kismet / Fate / Chance / Destiny; call it what you will, but that sparked the beginning of my RPG love for real.

Since then I have played numerous games (thankfully Seaxe isn't one of those "It's D&D or Pathfinder, or nothing." groups), GMed my first game which was Exalted 2nd Ed (not the easiest jump in point lol! but it was fun! ) then moved to Wiltshire when my wife got pregnant (wanted to be near her folks). I set up my own RPG group and we've been alive and kicking for two years now!

I've GMed numerous games of Lady Blackbird, including two games in last years Newbie Initiative, a longer scenario for Legend:Ancient Stones (F2F and ongoing on another rpg site), numerous Fiasco fun, and am currently GMing a game of Maelstrom Domesday, and now this.

I love to write and describe things. My favourite games that I am playing it currently are Serenity: Lost In The Black (run by thecameronin) and Mutants & Masterminds: Much Mayhem (run by Mulligans)

I am really looking forward to some brilliant writing in this game - and am happy for that to take precedence over all rules and roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
I am really looking forward to some brilliant writing in this game - and am happy for that to take precedence over all rules and roles.

That is excellent! After playing rules-heavy Shadowrun, that is just what I want to hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Bifford wrote:

That is excellent! After playing rules-heavy Shadowrun, that is just what I want to hear!

Yes I saw your post/query on another game

Well, tomorrow everyone can sign up for a second game, and veterans can sign up to fill spaces. I have already been contacted by a vet si we will have at least three players. If either of you know someone who might be interested in playing then please do point them here or the game list geeklist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent start! My only confusion is who is commissioning us? Is it the wise-men and wise-women of Wiltshire? Or someone from the Nomadic tribe?

I'm getting stoked!

And thanks for sharing your expertise and creativity with us Bifford.

Does this get started next week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been explicitly vague on that point on purpose. I need to see what all the characters are first and then decide on the best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, please also bookmark this page:

Character Wiki

This page is editable by everyone so you can keep track of changes in your character sheets.

For now, do not worry about this wiki unless you know exactly what you are doing - leave it to me to edit.

A fair amount of stuff on there will be for completion's sake but could very well be glossed over in this jump-in game. Of course, if you then want to go on and play in a bigger/longer/more ruleset version then it's all good as all the information needed will be there already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay, for those of you who want to roll up your own character, please follow these next posts.

I shall do Christopher's for him

First things first - your initial Attribute Roles.

Name: Write in if you know it already
Background: Nomad (use a sub heading too if you want for eg Gypsy)
Profession: Write in if you know it already

STR: Strength
CON: Constitution
SIZ: Size
INT: Intelligence
POW: Power (Magic)
DEX: Dexterity
CHA: Charisma.

"STR is a measure of an Adventurer’s raw muscle power. It acts as an indicator of how much someone can lift, push or pull, or how tightly he grasps something." Max 21.

"CON measures the health and vitality of an Adventurer and helps to determine how
much physical damage he can sustain" Max 21.

"SIZ represents the average of an Adventurer’s mass. SIZ determines if an Adventurer can see over something, or fit through a small opening" Max 21.

"INT represents an Adventurer’s capacity for learning, rationalising and analysis. It is less a measure of cleverness and more how the Adventurer applies what he knows either practically or analytically." Max 21.

"POW represents the force of both an Adventurer’s soul and his innate magical and spiritual presence. The more Power an Adventurer has, the greater their force of will, confidence and capacity for magic. Human POW cannot naturally exceed 21.
POW can also be pledged to show devotion to the gods and in exchange for certain divine gifts
or benefits." Max 21.

"Dex is a measure of physical co-ordination, agility, suppleness and nimbleness, DEX is an important component in many physical skills. A decent DEX represents someone who is quick, keen of eye and fleet of movement. DEX determines how often in a fight an Adventurer can strike or defend himself."

"CHA measures the force of personality. Adventurers with a high CHA have the ability to
make friends easily, find themselves the focus of attention when it is needed (and sometimes
when not) and persuade others to do things. Adventurers with a low CHA tend not to be noticed
so readily or have a hard time making themselves heard." Max 21.

To get your characteristics:
Roll 3D6 for STR, CON, POW, DEX and CHA taking each dice roll result as it comes and in order.
For INT and SIZ roll 2D6+6 taking the rolled results as they come and in order.

Re-roll any result of 6 or less. Maximum I would like to see used is 18 unless there are special reasons.

If you think that a certain roll will be very detrimental to your character (ie a Blacksmith with stupidly low STR) then please post these rolls anyway but say what you think should be changed and why. I may use the optional rule of letting you take 2 off of one roll and use that to boost another (Not SIZ or INT for any adjustment).

Now roll 16+1D4 to get your starting age, so everyone will be between the ages of 17 and 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally had time to devote to some character creation.

As of now I'm thinking of playing a shaman who is focused on healing. Since I'd love to create my own character, I was wondering if this is going to be rolled or if we are using a point-buy system. You beat me to it So - question: do you want us to use the geek-roller so you can see those stats? Or do you trust us to roll physical dice and record the rolls? Because I'm OK with doing either - but probably need more practice with the geekroller.

And I have a bit of backstory - but I know I need to work on some details (when I'm home from work I can access my awesome list of names, so as of now the character has no gender or name...)

(_____) is from a nomadic family that traveled with the natural crops - the herbs and plants that grow in forests. Father was a woodsman, mother was what would be considered a herbalist. Had an older brother, who is now dead, and two younger sisters. Up until deciding to strike out on his/her own, (_____) apprenticed with his/her mother. (_____) was fascinated with the various healing properties of plants - and wishes to bring their knowledge of plants to other people. While the family does not worship Hors, Hors does hold second place in their hearts, as the family was able to travel further on horses and respects them. Their main deity though, is one of forests. (Need your name for that one - presumably one exists.)

(Will edit this once the name has been decided...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Actions (CA):
Damage Modifier:
Hero Points: 2
Improvement Rolls Stored: 0 Saved towards (Stat): n/a
Magic Points:
Movement:
Strike Rank:
Improvement Roll Modifier:

Combat Actions
CA, are the number of times that an Adventurer can act to either attack an enemy, defend himself from attack or perform some other action during battle.

The number of CA an Adventurer has during a Combat Round is dependent on his DEX and INT.
Add together DEX and INT and divide the result by 2 (rounding up).

Average of DEX and INT Combat Actions
6 or less = 1
7–12 = 2
13–18 = 3
For every additional 6 points +1

Damage Modifier
The Damage Modifier is an addition to the damage rolled for a weapon. EG: an Adventurer with a Damage Modifier of +1D4 rolls a four-sided dice alongside the damage for the sword he is using and adds it to the total."

To calculate the Adventurer’s Damage Modifier, add together the scores for STR and SIZ. Check page 10 of the PDF or mail me if your answer falls outside the general remit as follows:

STR + SIZ = Damage Modifer
11-15 = -1D4
16-20 = -1D2
21-25 = +0
26-30 = +1D2
31-35 = +1D4

Hero Points
Everyone starts with two hero points. I give these out at my discretion privately to players when they do something special or awesome. They can be used in a number of ways:

- Gain an extra CA when it is really needed;
- Re-roll any skill test that affects your character - including a roll made by someone else against you;
- Turn a Major wound into a Serious Injury (thereby meaning you don't lose your remaining CA);
- Hero's Insight - the GM tells the player one hint or clue to help them;
- Heroic Ability - spend one point to acquire that heroic ability you qualified for. (Ignore in this game)

Magic Points
This is simply the same as your POW amount. It is how much magic you can store at any one time. Some of this may be taken up by a PACT to your God/Deity. (More on this later)

Movement
Movement is 8 metres per round. However your armour WILL alter this depending on your actions. (I won't be paying too much attention to this in game!)

Strike Rank
This is how quickly you act in combat (social or physical).
Add together INT and DEX and divide the result by two (rounding up).
You will also need to take away your Armour Penalty from this but for now just tell me your basic Strike Rank without armour penalty please.

Improvement Roll Modifier

I'll explain improvements as and when needed!

The modifier is worked out based on your Cha stat.
If CHA is 6 or less your penalty is –1
If CHA is 7 – 12 your penalty is 0
If CHA is 13 – 18 your penalty is +1
For every additional 6 points of CHA +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
You can then get a set of 'Common Skills' from these initial Characteristics.

Copy and paste then throw in your numbers:

Common Skills:
Athletics (STR+DEX):
Brawn (STR+SIZ):
Culture (Own)(INTx2):
Dance (DEX+CHA):
Drive (DEX+POW):
Evade (DEXx2):
Evaluate (INT+CHA):
First Aid (DEX+INT):
Influence (CHAx2):
Insight (INT+POW):
Lore (Home Region) (INTx2):
Perception (INT+POW):
Persistence (POWx2):
Resilience (CONx2):
Ride (DEX+POW):
Sing (POW+CHA):
Sleight (DEX+CHA):
Stealth (DEX+INT):
Swim (STR+CON):
Unarmed (STR+DEX):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend has what it calls 'combat skills'. These are how good you are at using weapons and/or defensive items like shields. Someone who is good with a longsword and shield will not be as good dual wielding a longsword and shortsword. Someone who is used to swords may not be good with a bow and arrow etc. (Slight aside: If you do dual-wield the off-hand weapon has to be one size smaller to a sword and dagger for example)

You will need to pick your combat stlye. I won't be allowing a general "all close combat style" for things you've used all your life.
So a woodsman should have "Axe and Buckler" and "Short Bow" and "Knife" etc.

Close combat skills start with: STR + DEX
Ranged combat skills start with: DEX x2
Common Magic starts with: POW + CHA

As you can see there, there is also the Common Magic starting point.

So you should end up with something like:

Any Close Combat weapon: 25
Any Ranged Combat weapon: 26
Shortsword and Shield: 25
Shortsword and Knife: 25
Sling: 26
Common Magic: 19
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Now while I am calling everyone Nomads, I am meaning this is a VERY loose term! You do not have to be a wanderer. You can come from one of the local villages. Basically the Nomadic template is simply the best fit for my game. A better term would be "Native".

Common Skill Bonuses

All nomad Adventurers gain the following bonuses:
+10% to Athletics, Perception, Resilience and Stealth
+30% to Culture (Own) and Lore (Regional)
+10% to ONE of either Brawn, Drive, Ride or Swim

Combat Styles

Nomad Adventurers choose two Combat Styles from the following and gain a +10% bonus to each:
2H Axe, 2H Hammer, 2H Spear, Axe and Shield, Blowgun, Bow, Dagger, Hammer and Shield, Sling, Spear and Shield, Spear.

Advanced Skills

All nomad Adventurers gain the following Advanced Skills:
Language (Native) (Int+Cha) +50%
Survival (Pow+Con)

In addition, Nomad Adventurers choose one Advanced Skill from the following:
Boating, Craft (any), Language (any), Lore (any), Play Instrument, Track

Starting Money

Nomad Adventurers begin the game with 4D6 x20 Silver Pieces

Hit Points

CON + SIZ determines Hit Points per location.

01-05 = Legs 1; Abdomen 2; Chest 3; Arms 1; Head 1
06-10 = Legs 2; Abdomen 3; Chest 4; Arms 1; Head 2
11-15 = Legs 3; Abdomen 4; Chest 5; Arms 2; Head 3
16-20 = Legs 4; Abdomen 5; Chest 6; Arms 3; Head 4
21-25 = Legs 5; Abdomen 6; Chest 7; Arms 4; Head 5
26-30 = Legs 6; Abdomen 7; Chest 8; Arms 5; Head 6
etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Professions.

below is the list of professions Nomads can take. If you do not have the book/prd pick one and I'll tell you your bonuses.

Animal Trainer
Bard
Craftsman
Fisherman (wouldn't recommend)
Herdsman
Hunter
Mercenary
Priest
Shaman (Spirit Walking capable)
Warrior
Thief
Tracker
Witch

Now the list as provided is VERY limited. So if you have other ideas - such as Blacksmith etc just let me know and I'll work out what you get for that job.

Free Spend:

You also get 250 free skill points to spread around.
No single skill can benefit from more than 30 points, so if it's a new advanced buy the max increase is 20 due to the initial buy-in costing 10.

Feel free to ask for clarification if you do not have the PDF. Page 23 if you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
And then there is THE most important part of the character creation.

Your history.

I will work off the assumption that you all have the Legend PDF. If you don't you will need to roll everything and I will fill in the blanks.

So Roll for:

Family ties Table.
1D100 for parents/guardians
1D100 for siblings (may require a second roll after this)
1D100 for Family size

Family Reputation
1D100 for family reputation
1D100 for family contacts, enemies and rivals

Family Connections
1d100 for family connections
1d100 for family contacts, enemies and rivals

Having just been totally puzzled while rolling Chris's connections it reminded me that the explanation for these tables is broken.

For the family ties table you will roll THREE 1d100s, once for each column (followed by the stated extra dice)
For the Family Reputation and Family Connections table you roll ONCE for each table then read across both columns on the same result.

You may, if you wish choose to roll to see if you are married and with children. I'll leave that up to you.

We can worry about the GROUPS connections with each other once all the characters are fleshed out - there are going to be some and you can gain benefits if there are.

Backgrounds

Now the book says to take one background, but that's boring. [b]I would like you all to roll a 1D3+2 then roll that many times on the table (ed 2+2 = 4 times).

However - the table is flexible. If something crops up that is just plain stupid then you have two choices: either chose one of the entries to either side of that (eg, roll a 56 and chose 55 or 57 if 56 is stupid) or re-roll.

You do not have to provide specifics at this point but you can do if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Magic

Everyone has access to common magic.

The table page 34 provides the "general" spells that are available to each culture.

However I am being very tight with these generalisations.

If you character has no reason to have a spell he can't have it. So take the much miss-used Bandit's Cloak for example. Why would a witch or shaman have that? Why would a trader have it? A hunter may have as he'd need to stealth to take his prey unawares. A fighter specialising in being a bastard might. A thief would.

I will pull you up on a spell if I don't think it fits your character.

On the Reverse of this: If you can think up a spell that is not on this list please let me know what it is and what it does. I am perfectly happy to employ new spells. indeed - for those of you on the Mongoose Forum the user spell list there is fair game.

Magnitude

The maximum magnitude is three.

You have six points you can spend on common magic spells. One point = 1 magnitude.

Therefore you can have six Magnitude one spells, or three magnitude two spells, two magnitude three spells or any combination thereof.

If a spell has the tag "Progressive" and you have it at Mag 3 you can chose to cast it at mag 1, 2 or 3.

When you cast, the magnitude is the power of the spell and also the cost of the spell in Magic Points. So a mag 2 spell takes 2 MPs. If you hit 0MP you fall unconscious and roll a resilience test. Fail and take a level of fatigue.

Casting common magic spells always makes a sound or noise (or both) which is detectable up to 10 metres x magnitude away.

Regain MP up to your POW (minus dedicated) every 12 hours, or in 6 hours if fully resting (sleeping etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I know that looks like a lot of work to do, but actually there's very little to it.

I could have thrown you all pre-generated characters and saved you all the trouble, but honestly for a game like this I **believe** you have to make the characters based on a players wants and desires for such a character.

For example - while Chris has asked me to generate his character for him, I can now do so based on his initial character write-up. He will be able to tell me if he wants his character to be better at one thing than another once I've shown him the base stats and I can then flesh the character out more for him with his help.

So I apologize for the wall of text there, (not exactly Newbie friendly I know!) but I honestly think it's worth it!

Anyway, to bed with me!

Chris - I shall roll your character stats up while I'm at work tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Finally had time to devote to some character creation.

As of now I'm thinking of playing a shaman who is focused on healing. Since I'd love to create my own character, I was wondering if this is going to be rolled or if we are using a point-buy system. You beat me to it So - question: do you want us to use the geek-roller so you can see those stats? Or do you trust us to roll physical dice and record the rolls? Because I'm OK with doing either - but probably need more practice with the geekroller.

Backstory looks great Carrie! The Family part of character generation will flesh out that section even more!

As for dice rolls, I do not mind which - I trust everyone. My philosophy is that if people want to cheat then they don't really want to play my game, they want to play their own and will at some point bu**er off!

However using the geekroller WILL be good experience, as you say. Do you need help with it at all?

hell...Chris your character can be started now LOL. Even though it's gone midnight and I've a 2.5hr drive to work...

It's pretty easy really:

Roll 3D6 for STR, CON, POW, DEX and CHA taking each dice roll result as it comes and in order.

STR 3d6 = (2 + 2 + 3) = 7
CON 3D6 = (4 + 5 + 1) = 10
POW 3D6 = (6 + 6 + 4) = 16
DEX 3D6 = (5 + 6 + 4) = 15
CHA 3D6 = (6 + 1 + 2) = 9

For INT and SIZ roll 2D6+6 taking the rolled results as they come and in order.

INT 2D6 +6 = (6 + 5) + 6 = 17
SIZ 2D6 +6 = (6 + 1) + 6 = 13

EDIT: Wow, that is actually pretty much perfect for the type of character Chris write up! Nice

16+1D4 to get your starting age : Age 1D4 +16 = (4) + 16 = 20

Either click on the blue results to expand the rolls, or under this post there's a darker bar. Click on it to show all dice rolls. Each result can then be clicked on to expand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 511566. Bifford
  • 3d6 =
  • (2 + 2 + 3) =
  • STR
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 12:08 am
  • [+]
  • 511567. Bifford
  • 3D6 =
  • (4 + 5 + 1) =
  • CON
  • [+]
  • 511569. Bifford
  • 3D6 =
  • (6 + 6 + 4) =
  • POW
  • [+]
  • 511572. Bifford
  • 3D6 =
  • (5 + 6 + 4) =
  • DEX
  • [+]
  • 511574. Bifford
  • 3D6 =
  • (6 + 1 + 2) =
  • CHA
  • [+]
  • 511575. Bifford
  • 2D6 +6 =
  • (6 + 5) + 6 =
  • INT
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 12:09 am
  • [+]
  • 511577. Bifford
  • 2D6 +6 =
  • (6 + 1) + 6 =
  • SIZ
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 12:09 am
  • [+]
  • 511579. Bifford
  • 1D4 +16 =
  • (4) + 16 =
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
So Chris's Starting character looks like this:

Illmwai.

Shepherd (Herdsman)

Age 20

STR 7
CON 10
SIZ 13
INT 17
POW 16
DEX 15
CHA 9

Combat Actions: 3 (nice!)
Damage Modifier: -1D2
Improvement Modifier: 0
Movement 8 mtrs/round
Dedicated POW: (not allocated yet)
Magic Points: 16
Strike Rank: 16

Common Skills

Athletics: 32
Brawn: 30
Culture (Own): 64
Dance: 24
Drive: 31
Evade: 30
Evaluate: 26
First Aid: 37
Influence: 18
Insight: 33
Lore (Regional): 74
Perception: 43
Persistence: 32
Resilience: 45
Ride: 31
Sing: 25
Sleight: 24
Stealth: 42
Swim: 17
Unarmed: 22

Advanced Skills:
Language (Native): 22
Survival: 26
Track: 27 (my choice for you)
Play Instrument (not yet chosen): - (not yet bought)
Common Magic: 25

Combat Styles:
Any Close: 22
Any Ranged: 30
Sling: 50 (my choice for you)
Dagger: 32 (my choice for you)
Staff (Shepherd's Crook): 22

Money: time by 20 4D6 = (6 + 3 + 2 + 6) = 17 = 340

[NOTE - I'll come back to points spend later!]

R.Leg: AP - / HP 5 (Armour = )
L.Leg: AP - / HP 5 (Armour = )
Abdomen: AP - / HP 6 (Armour = )
Chest: AP - / HP 7 (Armour = )
R.Arm: AP - / HP 4 (Armour = )
L.Leg: AP - / HP 4 (Armour = )
Head: AP - / HP 5 (Armour = )

Family ties Table.
Parents/Guardians 1d100 = (70) = 70 = Single Parent - Father
Siblings 1d100 = (88) = 88 = 2d6 = (5 + 3) = 8 (owch, busy woman!)
Family Size 1d100 = (75) = 75 = Aunts and Uncles = 1d8 = (5) = 5 (the book says on both sides, but I make this overall)

Family Reputation
Family Reputation 1d100 = (72) = 72 = Good Family reputation but a few skeletons and secrets in the background. 1 Contact OR Ally (bring this in to the game whenever you like, as part of your narration)

Family Connections
Family Connections 1d100 = (95) = 95 = Family is considered well connected with other families and persons holding local and regional power. 2 Contacts, 1 Rival and 1 Enemy. (ditto as above)

History roll:
1D3+2 = (3) + 2 = 5
1d100 = (2) = 2 Afflicted by visions of a God or Goddess
1d100 = (71) = 71 Pioneers. Family moved to a new country as settlers, refugees or pioneers.
1d100 = (38) = 38 (Changing to 39) Fraud - Adventurer has been part of a fraud or scam, or a victim of one.
1d100 = (71) = 71
1d100 = (38) = 38 What's the chances, eh?
1d100 = (35) = 35 Father died or killed. Changing to Mother to fit story.
1d100 = (38) = 38 LMAO! One more try....
1d100 = (85) = 85 Meh. GM feat....I'm making this a 94: Well-travelled (travelled widely).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 511580. Bifford
  • 4D6 =
  • (6 + 3 + 2 + 6) =
  • time by 20
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 12:29 am
  • [+]
  • 511878. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (70) =
  • Parents/Guardians
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 1:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 511879. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (88) =
  • Siblings
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 1:52 pm
  • [+]
  • 511880. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (75) =
  • Family Size
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 1:52 pm
  • [+]
  • 511881. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (72) =
  • Family Reputation
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 1:53 pm
  • [+]
  • 511882. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (60) =
  • Family Contacts/Rivals/Friends
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 1:53 pm
  • [+]
  • 511883. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (95) =
  • Family Connections
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 1:54 pm
  • [+]
  • 511884. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (10) =
  • Family Contacts/Enemies/Rivals
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 1:54 pm
  • [+]
  • 511885. Bifford
  • 2d6 =
  • (5 + 3) =
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 1:58 pm
  • [+]
  • 511886. Bifford
  • 1d8 =
  • (5) =
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 1:59 pm
  • [+]
  • 512822. Bifford
  • 1D3+2 =
  • (3) + 2 =
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:09 pm
  • [+]
  • 512823. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (2) =
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:09 pm
  • [+]
  • 512824. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (71) =
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:10 pm
  • [+]
  • 512825. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (38) =
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:10 pm
  • [+]
  • 512828. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (71) =
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:11 pm
  • [+]
  • 512829. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (38) =
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:11 pm
  • [+]
  • 512843. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (35) =
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:22 pm
  • [+]
  • 512845. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (38) =
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:22 pm
  • [+]
  • 512847. Bifford
  • 1d100 =
  • (85) =
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:24 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [40] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.