Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a G.E.V. scenario involving a train, and we could not find any clear rules about destroying/cutting railroad tracks.

It mentions in the train collision section about a unit cutting the rail if it is about to be run over, but it seemed like units would be able to destroy the track in other ways. Does a unit just need to be on the same hex as a rail and just declare it's cutting the track? Does the unit actually have to attack it?

Also I didn't see any counters to mark destroyed track in the deluxe box, but there is so much stuff it is very possible I missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I don't have the latest ruleset, but from the original game they're in the Optional Rules section marked (8.05) Destruction of Roads and Rail Hexes. Even if the rule number is different, the heading should be the same.

Basically, roads and rails are D3 requiring an X to destroy by ranged attack, or automatically destroyed from in-hex. Unless the rule's been changed, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Designer's Edition
Quote:

13.00 Optional Rules
13.01.3 Automatic destruction of roads and railroads. Any
unit may spend its attack against a road or railroad in the same hex,
destroying it automatically. Place a Road Cut marker. The hex itself
is not damaged.

The road or railroad in a hex is also cut if the hex is damaged or
turned to rubble (see 13.01).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! We thought we saw the rules somewhere in there, but could not find them.

I still would like to make sure though about the collisions though in 9.06:

Quote:
If the train moves onto a unit on the track, or multiple units in the same hex:

(a) If the enemy units are armed, even the weakest armed unit
would be able to cut the tracks in front of the train as it
approached. The train is destroyed.

Does this mean that units can cut the track if they are about to be run over without actually using an attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
Thanks! We thought we saw the rules somewhere in there, but could not find them.

I still would like to make sure though about the collisions though in 9.06:

Quote:
If the train moves onto a unit on the track, or multiple units in the same hex:

(a) If the enemy units are armed, even the weakest armed unit
would be able to cut the tracks in front of the train as it
approached. The train is destroyed.

Does this mean that units can cut the track if they are about to be run over without actually using an attack?

Yes. The rules in 9.06 are specific to "When a train enters the hex" so cutting the rail is an action taken by the unit during the train's movement phase. This is the same as an auto-destruction of the rail because the unit is in the same hex as the rail being cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.