Subject: Albany, NY and Bennington, VT...game stores? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'll be in Albany and Bennington next week on business. Any good game stores in the area to check out? I'm primarily a wargamer but am expanding my Euro horizons. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
For Albany, check out this link...

http://www.swa-gaming.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpa...

I prefer Zombie Planet. They mostly have minis and CCGs, but they have the best selection of Euros that I know of.

Also, Game Keeper in Crossgates Mall is closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
United States
scotia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i also prefer zombie planet. there is also a store called flights of fantasy on wtaervaliet-shaker rd in albany. they are primarily minis and ccgs but they have a small selection of eurogames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your a sci-fi/fantasy reader then one of the cool things about Flights of Fantasy is that half the store is devoted to books. I usually stop in there when traveling south for a little geeky retreat from the road. While a little ways down the road it's a strait shot to the highway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just outside of Bennington:
http://www.theoldgamestore.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
United States
scotia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the old game store closed down. i worked in one around christmas and they closed all the stores around here i think the owner was planning on getting out of the business. and even if they are still open they are a bit pricey. star wars risk $45 most games aren't that bad but they are a little expensive. i would call before i made the trip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies. I did make it to Zombie Planet and Flights of Fantasy. Zombie Planet had a very nice selection of RPG's (A+) and a pretty good selection of boardgames (A-). They did seem significantly overpriced. Flights of fantasy was 95% books. They had 1 shelf of boardgames (C-) and a very nice selection of new and used RPG's (A). I didn't make any purchases at either but it was nice to have someplace fun to kill time while I waited for my flight out of Albany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacko Lantern
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Old Game Store in VT closed earlier this year (as the website confirms). Martha Folsom who ran it did a great job, I hope she's not given up on the industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cuatt
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, Zombie Planet does offer discounts to anyone on their mailing list. You get a postcard in the mail each month with coupons like half off for Magic cards or 20 percent off if you spend $100, etc.
Different discounts each month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandal wrote:
For the record, Zombie Planet does offer discounts to anyone on their mailing list. You get a postcard in the mail each month with coupons like half off for Magic cards or 20 percent off if you spend $100, etc.
Different discounts each month.

Do they still do that? I haven't gotten any coupons in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cuatt
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they do still send out the discount coupon postcards, and I got one for September. However, other people have told me they weren't receiving them, so maybe they are having trouble with their mailing list. Perhaps you could call the store to make sure they have you listed and your correct address.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure they only send out the postcards to certain (read: active) customers on the list. Once in a while, they may send out one to the entire list, but I think business sense took a front seat and the realization that spending all of that postage each month on postcards to people who do not come into the store even once in 3 months was a waste for the most part.

There's people who will support their FLGS and there are people who are bottom-liners. ZP is a great store, so making a purchase there once a quarter to stay active shouldn't be too much to ask.

That's just my read on it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls