Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony McRee
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, using a cell phone is one of my biggest Pet Peeves* at the table when gaming. So much, I started another post about it in the forum, but what are some of yours? What just gets on yours nerves at the table? Is it Cheetos fingers? Is it tossing the dice so they always roll off the table? Is it someone reaching across the table, flipping over your Netrunner credits/advancement tokens so they show the correct symbol based on where they are on the table when it is clearly obvious to the most casual observer what it is suppose to be? (Okay, that one might be a little too close to home)

And we have an ulterior motive for this. We know y'all have a lot more ideas than we do and we hope to incorporate them into our Player Service Announcements for Boardgame Breakfast. So, if you want to see us act out something then please post here and it will probably be used

Anyway, tell us your innermost peeve, we would love to hear it.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_peeve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People who have disregard for people games. IE Bending cards so they are curved.

People that don't help put the game away. I actually had someone just get up and walk away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine would have to be the guy that actually does help put away a game by actually tossing everything into the box without putting it in its correct place. It is bad. It looks like someone stood there shaking the box for a couple of minutes and all of the components are all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Quit touching me! Shoo.... go away. I mean it, arrgghhh, just leave me alone!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's along the lines of a cell phone, but I can't stand ipads/tablets at the table. We have one friend who knits between turns. Fine, whatever, at least you can still participate in conversation and see what's going on in the game. Her husband has to watch vids or do whatever surfing when it's not his turn. Inevitably, every time it's his turn we're all looking at him and he turns to the person (usually his wife) to his right and goes "Oh, did you go already?".

It's gotten to a point where I have to say something about it and he's the kind to get quietly pissy about it.

My other pet peeve is constantly questioning the rules and presuming you're right on picky small details (even if your track record of being right is poor). It slows down the game and is kind of rude when you're not hosting the game. Unless there's a huge impact on the game, I'm more for going with what you think is right and looking it up after the game personally.

1. "Are you sure that's right?"
2. "Yes, I'm sure, I read up on the rules yesterday."
3. "Can I see the rules?"
4. *sigh*
5. (8-10 minutes later he discovers I'm right and it was something I had already gone over when explaining the game but he was looking at his tablet.)
6. Start again from step one in 15 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gaston
United States
TEGA CAY
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People that get overly upset during a game when it is not going their way especially when they know the game they are choosing to play has a lot of player interaction and "got you" mechanics in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cell phone/iPad thing is probably my biggest peeve. Another one that bothers me is when I'm teaching a new player so he/she can join us in a game, and the other players carry on loud side conversations that prevent me from teaching the game. If they would just let me get through teaching, then we could all get down to playing the game.

If they are going to sit at the table while we teach, then they should just add helpful comments or keep side conversations at a low level, rather than disrupt the teaching process. If they don't want to sit and wait, they should go get a snack or play a quick 2-player game at another table while I teach the new player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony McRee
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gloomhaunt wrote:
My other pet peeve is constantly questioning the rules and presuming you're right on picky small details (even if your track record of being right is poor). It slows down the game and is kind of rude when you're not hosting the game. Unless there's a huge impact on the game, I'm more for going with what you think is right and looking it up after the game personally.

1. "Are you sure that's right?"
2. "Yes, I'm sure, I read up on the rules yesterday."
3. "Can I see the rules?"
4. *sigh*
5. (8-10 minutes later he discovers I'm right and it was something I had already gone over when explaining the game but he was looking at his tablet.)
6. Start again from step one in 15 minutes.

Where is the High Five Icon. My wife does that too me all the freakin' time. Drives me up the wall!! Or, I just read you the rule, why do you need to see the book and read it again to everyone. Was I speaking in a foreign dialect other than Southern. Arrrgh!

Marty, this is a sure to do video. Also be looking for the game set up and take down video coming out later. It is filmed, we just have to do our part at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else tried to play a game w/ a child and have to wait while they dance around the table between turns before they finally come back for theirs? (Had this problem quite a bit a couple years back. Our kid can play with the adults, but has a lot of energy at times so danced and played around between turns.) It's not so much a bad thing except that it often started just before it was her turn and took a minute or two to get her back to the table. Worse that we were often playing Dominion so the adult turns typically flew by (unless it was a Village, Village, Village, etc. type turn).

Fun times gaming with children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Maybe your army comes and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great topic!

It might be convenient, but I do not want food or drinks on the gaming table.

Also, if we are playing a card game, like Munchkin, I don't like it if my opponent holds their hand of cards under the table.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Osterloh
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damcree wrote:
Where is the High Five Icon. My wife does that too me all the freakin' time. Drives me up the wall!! Or, I just read you the rule, why do you need to see the book and read it again to everyone. Was I speaking in a foreign dialect other than Southern. Arrrgh!

I understand your getting mad about someone needing to read the rule back to everyone, but I always ask to read the rules to a game I haven't played before. Even when someone explains it to me, I still like to have read through the rules for myself. I regularly find people playing incorrectly, either because they themselves have never read the rules and just play the way they were taught or they skimmed through them and played the game without ever confirming they were playing correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn B
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Wow, that's a suboptimal move!"
"Really? That's what you're going to do?"
"Are you sure you want to play that?"

I don't like people to second guess someones move immediately after they make the move. Often I think this is quite rude. If it's someones first play of a game & they appear to having trouble making a move, offering to help is fine - but don't call them out on a move immediately after they make it.

I can see doing this (and I've done it myself) when I someone is making a devastating mistake; but that should be rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Childs
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cell phone texting/surfing while I am doing rules explanation is my biggest pet peeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally poor food manners at a table. I get a beverage, in a container that seals and something like pretzels.

But there is one guy who eats anything at the table when we play and it looks like the floor around a bird cage. No lie. and a big bird at that. Greasy hands touching bits from burgers, fries, chips are just plain bad form. The most courteous guy in our group will even eat potato chips with a fork to help out.

Thumbs up on all the cell phone BS (Especially if the volume is up on their game of Le Havre while the are demonstrating that the game you have chosen to play has too much down time.)

Players who find things to do rather than help pick up is another good one others have pointed out.

The worst I will also add in the people who POO POO every game you suggest when asking what you want to play, but will not put up anything to play that will fit the current player count. We are all here to play, pick a game and go!

Taking BACK your move just because the person next hasn't gone yet, or because they didn't hear you explain a rule because they were dong something else. Suck it up, learn and play already!

Wow, guess I am an angry gamer!
I enjoy the podcast, keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gibbs
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People who spill thier drinks all over the game and gamers. :-) there need to be gamer sippy cups.

Actually, bad sportsmanship while playing irritates me. It's a freakin' game not the end of the world when you loose.

Sticky fingers and bending cards. Are also two of my pet peeves. I hate it when people play after eating something sticky and good up my cards our playing pieces.

From the miniature realm, when your in the middle of a game and someone comes up and picks up one of your painted models without asking. One it moves it from where it was and two I don't want grubby hands on my minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grafix wrote:
People who spill thier drinks all over the game and gamers. :-) there need to be gamer sippy cups.

That's a reference to me. I spilled not one but two drinks tonight. Luckily nothing got on the Power Grid game...but a couple cards in Dread Curse did get some tea on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gibbs
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just giving you a hard time. It doesn't really annoy me because it is an accident and sometimes it happens. The other things though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony McRee
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humulus wrote:

I understand your getting mad about someone needing to read the rule back to everyone, but I always ask to read the rules to a game I haven't played before. Even when someone explains it to me, I still like to have read through the rules for myself. I regularly find people playing incorrectly, either because they themselves have never read the rules and just play the way they were taught or they skimmed through them and played the game without ever confirming they were playing correctly.

Don't get me wrong, I get that people learn their own way where some are really good listeners and some just comprehend the written word better. Matter of fact, I even ask people to double check me. I guess it is that, are you sure about that rule and then you check, you read it to them, and they say, let me see that rulebook. Or it could just be the fact it is my wife second guessing me. Yeah, that is it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gould
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
jestatharogue.com
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Talking over the rules explanation (or 'trying' to help)

2 - Great podcast this week again guys and from the Board Game Breakfast PSA, I don't mind people on their phone it's the "now, what happened?" part I don't like. Pay attention!

3 - Hard to explain this one but has does anyone else have people in their groups that constantly try to break or get around the rules? I don't mean cheating, but they say things like "...but it doesn't say I CAN'T do that in the book does it?" It lows the game down a lot, speaking of which...

4 - Slow play. Not AP as such, but just when they seem to be enjoying the attention of their turn.

5 - My BIGGEST pet peeve is that I let these things get to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 cellphone/tablet/DS use during the game.
+1 to interrupting the rules explanation.

But my biggest pet peeve is when a player ceases to play with 'self-interest.' This drives me crazy and is probably the thing I have the least tolerance for. It really spoils the game for the other players. If you sit down to start a game with others you should have the courtesy not only to finish it but also to try to be somewhat competitive. Failing to play with self-interest usually messes up the game balance, so though it may seem like a personal decision it really affects all of the players in the game.

This is closely followed by the 'gotta run gamer' that starts a game but then leaves halfway through. Of course things do come up once in a while, but some people make a habit of this. And again, it spoils the game for others in many cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gould
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
jestatharogue.com
mbmbmbmbmb
getdafunkout wrote:
when a player ceases to play with 'self-interest.'

getdafunkout wrote:
the 'gotta run gamer' that starts a game but then leaves halfway through.

Good ones

I actually had both of these occur in the same game of Archipelago. 1 Guy left after turn 1 when he realised he'd missed out on controlling a point scoring resource. Then later that game a player, who thought they couldn't win, tried to start a rebellion so no one would. Grr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Risley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prrt949 wrote:
People who have disregard for people games. IE Bending cards so they are curved.

People that don't help put the game away. I actually had someone just get up and walk away.

Where as I'm sure the way I put a game away is what drives my family nuts. It takes a long time to make sure each coin and races marker in Small World is facing the same direction and in a perfectly straight stack, every card in Ticket to Ride has the car right side up, and every special chit for Flash Point is in the right bag to keep them from getting mixed up. ;-) That said, I do use the dreaded riffle shuffle, but I make sure to alternate face down and face up as best I can to even out any curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony McRee
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeRisley wrote:

Where as I'm sure the way I put a game away is what drives my family nuts. It takes a long time to make sure each coin and races marker in Small World is facing the same direction and in a perfectly straight stack, every card in Ticket to Ride has the car right side up, and every special chit for Flash Point is in the right bag to keep them from getting mixed up. ;-) That said, I do use the dreaded riffle shuffle, but I make sure to alternate face down and face up as best I can to even out any curve.

Yeah, the next PSA we do might cause you to cringe a little on putting games away.

I'll admit I had to look up what a riffle shuffle is and I didn't realize they had different names. That helps us with another PSA to go along with how cards are held.

You guys are doing great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gibbs
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damcree wrote:
MikeRisley wrote:

Yeah, the next PSA we do might cause you to cringe a little on putting games away.

I'll admit I had to look up what a riffle shuffle is and I didn't realize they had different names. That helps us with another PSA to go along with how cards are held.

You guys are doing great.

If you do the riffle shuffle with a bridge following it the cards shouldn't bend much. Shuffling them with the faces up makes it too easy to stack the deck. Not that I would know about that. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No bending of cards! Which is what happens to me when I riffle shuffle. I do the pile shuffle ... then do the Superbowl Shuffle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I can easily focus on just one. Reading this thread has already got me riled up again...

I'll stick to the one I had planned to post before reading this, even though others have said something similar. I am nearly always the game teacher. If you already know the game, then SHUT UP while I'm teaching. Oh sure, chit-chat is fine, but don't teach when *I* am. These people remind me of my six-year old daughter and her cousins. Bring up any topic and they can't wait to butt in and tell you something that THEY know about the subject, no matter how irrelevant. The game butt-in-skis seem to be cut from the same cloth, anxious to break in and show that they know something clever about the game, regardless of whether their factoid will make any sense to somebody who doesn't know all of the rules yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |