Popular Tags: FLGS [+] [View All]
Leo Tischer
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the used game auction at the I’m Game store in North Olmsted, Ohio last Saturday (www.imgamestore.com). The store allowed anyone to submit games for auction, and all the bids went to store credit for the seller – a pretty neat way to fund new games.

This was a great idea. There were quite a few games, including some older collector-item types. This is a great way for gamers to trim down their collections and pick up some new stuff. I’m hoping they will make this a regular event (say quarterly?). Next time, I plan on submitting a number of games myself. I don’t mind selling off games I don’t get to play much anymore if I know they’re going to other gamers who will. And spending the money in a game store is not a problem.

I picked up a few bargains myself. There were about 25 people there while I was bidding (from about 1 pm to 3:30 – the auction ran from noon to 6), so there wasn’t a lot of competition for most items. I got a complete copy of “Awful Green Things from Outer Space” for a buck. I also got a copy of Doom the Board Game, complete and in pretty good condition, for eight dollars. I also picked up complete copies of AH’s Britannia & Richtoffen’s War for four dollars (both were in one lot). My other purchases were Ambush & Purple Heart, Feudal, and a couple of trivia games (my total bill for 10 games came to $28). Most of the items went for anywhere from $1 to $12, with a couple of exceptions. The highest bid I saw was for an old copy of Conquest of the Empire, complete, that went for $36.

I think this would be a great idea for a lot of FLGS’s. It got me out there. And now that I’ve been to the store, I’ll be going back – both to pick up a few things and to check out their in-store gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty sweet! I don't think you could find Ambush on it's own for $28 let alone with Purple Heart and a copy of Britannia. I should try to talk my FLGs into something like this.

Does the actual cash raised go to the store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold (remotely) 4 or 5 games there, and was curious how the thing went. Doesn't sound like you bought any of mine, but I hear I ended up with $31 in store credit, which I'll be sure and get some use out of once I'm back in Cleveland. Pretty groovy idea - wish I could have been there in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tischer
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think all the actual cash went to the store. Which was great, because that way you can pay with cash, check, or credit card - i used my Discover card. I didn't sell anything, so i don't know if there was a sellers' fee or percentage, but my impression was that the sellers got 100% of the sale price, but it all went into store credit. If anyone has the facts on the procedure, please post them for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tischer
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out Jimzik's geek list "The WORST list ever, really DUMB - don't bother reading this garbage." It's actually about the auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo-T wrote:
Yes, I think all the actual cash went to the store. Which was great, because that way you can pay with cash, check, or credit card - i used my Discover card. I didn't sell anything, so i don't know if there was a sellers' fee or percentage, but my impression was that the sellers got 100% of the sale price, but it all went into store credit. If anyone has the facts on the procedure, please post them for us.

Here's how the auction worked, briefly:

+ Anyone had the opportunity to bring games in, and they could set whatever minimum bid they preferred (the lowest bid being a dollar).

+ Anyone could sign up for a number and bid on items throughout the day; their games were set aside until they were ready to check out.

+ When bidders checked out, they paid the actual value of their bids in their preferred manner (cash or credit card).

+ The store figured out who sold what and for how much; each person who brought games in was then issued straight store credit for that amount (i.e., the store took nothing off the top for this service). The store credit could be used for anything in the store or if there was a special request, we were willing to order those to have them available as well. The store credit is good indefinitely.

+ Any unauctioned games were returned to their respective owners.

I hope this helps people who had questions about the process.

As an aside, I had loads of fun doing this (even though I was worn out by the end of it, if you couldn't tell cool ). After it was all over, the store employees talked about it a bit and we might have the auctions more frequently; possibly in January (get any games for the holidays you didn't want? Come auction them off and get some games you do want!) and then again in July (maybe in between Origins and GenCon?) as a semi-annual thing.

I hope it was enjoyable for everyone involved and everyone either got the bargains they were looking for or got some good store credit to use.

Thanks!
Steve Zamborsky, Marketing Director
I'm Game - Great Games For Everyone!
www.imgamestore.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo-T wrote:

I think this would be a great idea for a lot of FLGS’s. It got me out there. And now that I’ve been to the store, I’ll be going back – both to pick up a few things and to check out their in-store gaming.

Rainy Day Games in Aloha, Oregon does something similar about twice a year. Unfortunately I didn't know about their auctions until AFTER I left Oregon and moved back to Idaho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agnespoodle wrote:
Doesn't sound like you bought any of mine
I bouught your JAVA for $20 and I'll be sure to put it to good use!!
Thanks Greg! Yep, too bad you missed it but it would have been a hell of a commute.

BTW: No percentage for the store, the seller got 100% of the sale price as in-store credit. It was a very smart setup IMO, the store provides the front and does the auction with each item tagged as to the seller. The store collects the sale price which goes into their coffers and offers the seller $ in-store credit equal to the price their game sold for.

Essentially they covered the in-store credit issued with the money taken in from the auction and in the process ensured some future sales for the store (who's gonna spend just what they got in credit, really?). Nice mechanic, it should be in a game...

Whith my credit for my sales and a sale price already on it, I bought Reef Encounter new for $30. You'll hear no complaints from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo-T wrote:
Also check out Jimzik's geek list "The WORST list ever, really DUMB - don't bother reading this garbage." It's actually about the auction.
A direct link to the list... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I’ll be going back – both to pick up a few things and to check out their in-store gaming.

Leo, the Cleveland Meetup.com Board Game group will be at I'm Game on Thursday, June 22nd from 5-9ish. You should come out and join us.

I got Rocketville for $8, Mamma Mia for $5, and Loco!, 221 B Baker Street, and Witch Trial for $1/ea; Geschenkt and Lucca Citta with my store credit.

I'm still bummed about giving up on Bazaar, I'm hoping Chris will be so kind as to play it with me someday! I'll be holding his Java pieces hostage until then.. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm still bummed about giving up on Bazaar, I'm hoping Chris will be so kind as to play it with me someday! I'll be holding his Java pieces hostage until then.. devil

I'll certainly have it with me when I make it to a game meetup, unfortunately I don't know how soon that will be since I'm working evenings for the near future. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls