Subject: 2014 Kickstarter discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
So last year, when I retired, I knew I needed to do a Kickstarter campaign if I wanted to be able to continue to cover the best and brightest games, which I wanted to do.

Cut to a year later, and things have changed. I'm much more popular now... over 10k subscribers, getting close to 2 million views, and publishers are now much more amenable to sending me review copies.

So I don't need KS funds nearly as much as I used to.

Which puts me in a quandry... I'm wondering if I should do another round of funding this year. Unlike other boardgame videographers, I'm retired and don't need to make money doing this. There are a lot of games I won't be able to cover if I can't buy them, and I don't have the budget to buy games hardly at all anymore, but lately I've been wondering if it's good enough if I cover the games publishers want to send to me, and if they don't... too bad so sad.

One problem though is Essen... getting to the show is still a net positive, because a LOT of publishers won't mail games to me (for whatever reason) but they will hand me one at the show. But we don't have the budget to go to Essen either (or Gencon... which I'd love to do, but that seems like a pipe dream).

So these are just some random musings rolling through my head, and I figured I'd open the floor for discussion. What do folks think I should do? Repeat the campaign of last year? Maybe change the goals to just getting enough cash for a trip to Essen? Stretch goal to Gencon, or is that just a waste of money? Or drop Kickstarter altogether and go for that new www.patreon.com thing? Or forgo crowdsourcing altogether and simply accept direct donations via paypal? That last one is kind of a pain though... I think it means I'd have to set up my own website. yuk

Or to heck with it, just runthrough games that the pubs send me and live my life! Anyway, what do you guys think...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
persnally, would love to see you cover GenCon and Essen again, and think something like KS would be a great place to do that. Maybe adjust the # of games you get via requests/votes per month in some way. Would love to see you have stretch goals that could help you out a bit more. Don't rock the boat if you don't need to though.

Love what you do for the hobby. I for one would love to support you this go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Incao
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for a kickstarter campaign similar to last year. I would donate as I did last year and trust you will do the right thing with the money. You have a strong track record of being fiscally responsible with these funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, I think you should run a Kickstarter. If people feel they are benefiting from your efforts, give them the option to support you financially.

I really do think it's as simple as that. Honestly, your need for the funds is secondary. If you continue to be upfront and completely honest about the financial situation, then potential backers have all the information they need to make a decision.

Leave it up to your fans whether they want to support you. In the very least, set a low funding goal and let your supporters take it from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Stauffer
United States
Waxahachie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Run the Kickstarter! It would be nice to see you at BGG.CON as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Cut to a year later, and things have changed. I'm much more popular now... over 10k subscribers, getting close to 2 million views, and publishers are now much more amenable to sending me review copies.

So I don't need KS funds nearly as much as I used to.

Which puts me in a quandry... I'm wondering if I should do another round of funding this year.
I was wondering (fearing?) that might be the case.

Getting review copies for free is cool, but I'd rather not see you strictly reliant on publishers sending you review copies. Some of the games that most need runthroughs aren't going to be sent to you by publishers, and there are always older games that need coverage and publishers aren't as interested in selling as their current releases. I realize your auctions and trades are also a good means of getting you those games which the publishers won't send.

And I'd certainly like to see your continued coverage of Essen and your subsequent runthroughs of the latest games you've pick up at Essen. I think that's a no-brainer. Anything crowdfunding can do to make that happen is well worth it.

I would love to see similar coverage of GenCon (and/or BGG.CON!), but I realize that would be a much bigger expense. Depending on the total cost and how much money is in the Rahdo fund, I would support it. But I think it's almost too late for GenCon 2014 planning? The hotels near the convention center are already sold out, although I guess you could stay farther away and commute each day of the convention.

I do think you need a faster laptop, and I would support a stretch goal for that as well.

I've never heard of Patreon, but it looks interesting. I'm comfortable with Kickstarter, but I'm willing to fund your runthroughs using whatever means you prefer.

You could just do another round of crowdfunding whenever the Rahdo fund gets low. That may be less frequently than once per year if crowdfunding goes better than expected. If your next round gives you the funds necessary to attend Essen for multiple years, that would be grand, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Graham
United Kingdom
Andover
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Kickstarter is the easier platform for this kind of fundraising and if it worked last year, why fix what ain't broke!

Ultimately, the funds you raise is based on what you are proposing to do so, don't bust a gut, get enough funds to cover the stuff you want to cover off this year and if you get the fundraising for it, great!

To me, the funds raised are more of a thank you for what you have achieved for the hobby rather than any unnecessary stretch goals you would be proposing this year. And unless the project has some cool mini's in there, the successful kickstarters tend to be the ones with a history, a pedigree.

Just remember 2 things, you're retired and this is a hobby........I think.....

Keep up the good work from a future backer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, I also think you should start a new KS campaign. You have some experience from the previous one, so this time it should have been easier to plan everything. Maybe you could run a KS project every 1-2 years to cover both Essen and GenCon or BGG.CON. IMO, you could also include Nurnberg Toy Fair. Some games are presented there and you could get the ones you missed at Essen. You already have many fans and supporters - finding backers should be easy for you. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Celerier
Belgium
Koksijde
flag msg tools
De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would back the Kickstarter for another "season" of Rahdo Runs Through in a heartbeat. The way you put it, especially going to Essen seems important.

Another thing you could consider is enabling ads on Youtube. According to Socialblade it could earn you a couple of grand a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would back simply if it meant for you to be able to go to Essen. I thoroughly enjoyed your coverage during and after with all the runthroughs. Especially as you say it's hard to get review copies mailed, but pick up is easy. That alone is enough reason for me to throw some cash your way for you to get there in October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's the Kickstarter sorted. What would you like us to decide now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as you are responsible for me buying so much games. I would back a KS aswel. Every game i watched you do a runtrough of and witch i bought, i really enjoy playing them with my family.

So plz take my money if you deside to do an other KS project.

And if it succeed and you do go to Essen, i wil search for you when i go
Maybe sign some games i bought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for kickstarter for new games and Essen where you can get all the games you would get at GenCon. I don't like Patreon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, run the Kickstarter. Its the most accessible platform to bring you the largest number of contributors. Don't just rely on your fixed income. This is more than just a hobby and although you are not seeking compensation, there are a lot of unexpected expenses associated with the volume of videos you put out - keeping your computer and video equipment modern, software upgrades and of course game purchases. You are not alone in this, you have an audience that desires what you produce, so you shouldn't have to carve the cost of operations completely from your own budget. We're here with you, enjoying your videos and content, and that is worth contribution to ensure you can continue to produce your content and make it even better, to include trips to Essen and GenCon, etc.

Run the Kickstarter and get as many contributions as you can to sustain operations on your own terms as long as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would back a KS campaign to support you. You might also want to create a poll in your first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the "backers vote" element that's built up over this year.

For me, I don't mind whether it's KS/Patreon/Paypal, whichever makes the best financial sense works for me. I like the idea of a clear/crisp campaign though, rather than a never ending PP drip feed, as I'm not sure how well that works unless it's continually part of the "message" in every video (I look at the http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/ approach, by people who make great content, but every time I see anything on the site it makes me focus on the donations, which I know they need, but...)

As far as Essen/Gencon, I'd personally feel uncomfortable about backing for both, as I saw the Essen backing as a great opportunity to receive games and create some Euro game specific content. A number of other great people already cover game previews at Gencon - like Joel Eddy - and the travel cost element dwarves the game access benefit, in my view. Especially as most of the games I see you cover that you are clearly choosing to do, are more Euro-ish in nature.

Apologies if my 2p is over blunt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of people run Kickstarter campaigns even if they don't need the money. I'd love to get a chance to support you and pick a game for you to run through, since I missed it last time. This is obviously just my own POV, but I'd be much more likely to pledge to a Kickstarter than send Paypal money...there isn't the same sense of urgency.

Patreon seems cool, though I have no experience with it. It seems like, with your model, that would be a good way to go, and I would definitely support. Another option is the system Shut Up and Sit Down use...I'm not sure what platform it runs on, but it is similar to Kickstarter, except each campaign is seasonal, has no minimum goal, and rolls over immediately into a new one when each season ends. You could time it around the big board game conventions you are wanting to attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can quickly see, Patreon works with mostly (only?) monthly pledges, like a subscription. I like the Kickstarter idea better. And I think you could do 2 separate kickstarters: one for Essen, and one half a year later for normal Run Throughs.

Though publishers sending you free games is awesome, I can understand not every publisher able to do this. Also, I would love it if you can get games you want to play, and not just have to wait to find out what will be sent to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say KS...

People are not required to back it... so the ones that do it's because they value what you do, so you can use those funds to get games and better equipment...

If the publishers are more willing to send you Review Copies it's great and it's money you can save from the money you get from the KS, so you can get other games...

I can guarantee that people won't think that you're trying to money grab or feed of the backers... maybe you can take it a little bit "more professional" if that makes you fell "better" because you got backed, I don't feel it's necessary, but if it would make you feel more comfortable you could do it...

Full support from me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm BullTaco and I approved this message.
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
I for one would support you....if I can't watch a Rahdo video I am pretty sad!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Risley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I don't really understand the whole games from a publisher bit. Are they handing you games that you want to review or games they want you to review? I'd rather you stuck to games you want to play and that the fans pony up money for you to review. If that means another Kickstarter then great. I follow The Dice Tower to see every game possibly published. I follow you to see games that someone thinks are worth sharing. So, whatever path lets you have fun with the hobby, and play and show the games you like. If you want to go to Essen, there's no harm putting how much it would cost for you and Jen to go as a goal. Same for Gencon. Just don't make it "work".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Brum
United States
Ewa Beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should start a kickstarter for 2014.

I believe what you do is a "Public Gamer's Service" and feel that you should get some pocket money for your services. I for one, would not think it awful or wrong if you took $30 for each playthrough video series you create. I know it takes quite of bit of time and effort (preparing, filming, editing, etc.) to create/produce your videos, and knowing I'm tipping you and supporting you for your services would be gratifying.

I would also suggest to use the money to purchase a new computer to replace your old and slower one. Use the money to upgrade you video camera too if you like.

I am also in favor of supporting the financial costs for you to attend, Essen, GenCon, and BBGCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,
For my 2 pennies worth, I think the phrase " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here.
Your previous kick starter was a great success, your delight and enthusiasm as the pledges came rolling in was infectious.

The rate you knock out the videos can sometimes be "prolific" , I just hope you don't feel obliged to work at an unrealistic pace for us fans/backers of yours, you gotta have your life too.

I think you should run another kick starter, your fan base has grown considerably - so maybe just lower the pledge amounts $$$ , so it's not overkill, so the amount you accumulate is something you are content with,without feeling guilty or pressured in any way.

I think Essen is a given, it was amazing to see and gets you access to all those great Euro games we all love.
Gen con I think should be more a personal choice of yours as a general vacation and not necessarily a backer thing.

One thing certain is your prudent use of the funds and this is why a 2014 kick starter will be amazing for you and well deserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Szymanski
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please do another KS. What you do is of value to me and I'd like to express that value. What's more, you are *SO* meticulously open I your management of the fund, I have no issues seeing you sit on some money for unexpected opportunities.

I'd become concerned if you become too dependent on review copies (not for bias, but for scope), and I definitely want to see you at Essen if not also GenCon.

Also at some point you'll need to be replacing equipment (your laptop at least) and I'd hate to see that become an unexpected impediment to your work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Wynn
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter!