United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm in the process of moving to the Durham/Raleigh, NC area and I'm looking for a good game store. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends where you're moving and how far you're willing to travel.

Cerebral Hobbies is a good store in the Chapel Hill area.

All Fun and Games is a good store in the Cary area.

I've heard good things about Lost Goblin in North Raleigh, but I haven't been there personally.

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jvsquare wrote:
Depends where you're moving and how far you're willing to travel.

Cerebral Hobbies is a good store in the Chapel Hill area.

All Fun and Games is a good store in the Cary area.

I've heard good things about Lost Goblin in North Raleigh, but I haven't been there personally.

Welcome!

There is another game store in Cary called "Games Galore".

I believe all of these stores have an open boardgame night once a week.

I go to All Fun & Games Thursday boardgame night and there is usually a very good turn out (over 15 or 20 I think). A good variety of games get played from light to heavy. All of the players are laid back and welcome interested newcomers.

I think Games Galore has boardgame night on Thursdays, too, but All Fun and Games is closer to my house.

Lost Goblin's boardgame night is Wednesday I think, and Cerebral Hobbies is Monday or Tuesday night.

All in all, I think the Triangle is extremely lucky to have 4 stores that support the gaming hobby (RPG, boardgames, CCG, minis, etc).

Welcome to the triangle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Vogel
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jvsquare wrote:

Lost Goblin caters more to the RPG and miniatures players, but they do have open tables and a small group of us play there on Wednesday evenings. Lost Goblin has a fairly small selection of board games, but will happily order anything you might be interested in buying. They're also open to suggestions for games to carry.

You'll find a bigger crowd at All Fun & Games and a better board game selection, but driving distance may be an issue. For me, the drive to Lost Goblin is less than 10 minutes while All Fun & Games is at least a 35 minute drive.

None of the game stores I know about are in Durham, for what that's worth. If you choose to live there, your drive any of the stores will be pretty long. Any idea where in the triangle you're going to end up living and working?

Henry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input.

I'm looking to live in Durham -- since I went to Duke, I'm familiar with the area -- but I work in RTP. I actually called Lost Goblin Games today, and they are going to get the Pacific Expansion for Memoir'44 in tomorrow. Looks like a trip to North Raleigh is in order...

I'll check out the other stores also.

Thanks again,

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also HobbyMasters in North Raleigh, a combination game and model car/plane shop. They're more heavily into RPG's and Mini's, but do have some boardgames.

I'd also echo Mike's comment about AF&G's on Thursdays. I try to be there that night, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Good news: new game store in Durham: www.scifigenre.com

Sad news: no more Cerebral Hobbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hunholz
United States
Plymouth
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Galore (mentioned above) is a great store for board games! In my experience, they usually have a broader selection than All Fun and Games (though I haven't been down there lately), and they have a great group of folks who game on Thursday nights. Stop by and play some time if you're in the area!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only go to Raleigh when I'm on my way to Greenville NC. Anyone know a place there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jhunholz wrote:
Games Galore (mentioned above) is a great store for board games! In my experience, they usually have a broader selection than All Fun and Games (though I haven't been down there lately), and they have a great group of folks who game on Thursday nights. Stop by and play some time if you're in the area!

I generally agree with this statement about Games Galore. I used to go to game night at Games Galore and always had a blast. One of the main reasons I go to All Fun & Games (AF&G) Game Nights now is because it is closer to my house. Game Nights at AF&G are also a blast.

As far as selection goes, I would agree that Games Galore has a wider selection of import games. You can find some older German versions of some games at Games Galore that you won't find at AF&G, but I think the selection of newer 'domestic' designer games (ie, games published by Rio Grande, Uberplay, Fantasy Flight, etc) are similar in both stores. AF&G will order a 'domestic' game for you if it is available from their distributors, and I'm sure Games Galore will, too.

I think Triangle boardgamers are extremely lucky. We have at least 3 games stores around Raleigh and Cary (GG, AF&G, and Lost Goblin) that run board game nights in-house. Not to mention a healthy dose of gamers who run their own game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's been a while since this forum topic was updated, so i'll do a somewhat brief one.

for my birthday my very patient and understanding wife said we could go to any stores i wanted to and pick out some presents. we ended up at both All Fun & Games in Cary/Apex and Lost Goblin Games in raleigh.

All Fun & Games devotes approx 3/5 of it's floorspace to gaming tables and has a large library of games available for play. there were several rpgs going on while we were there, including one star wars game that included a father and his young son playing with two other adults. :)

the staff was inquisitive but not pushy. (we were asked several times if we were finding things alright but no one came from behind the counter to approach us. personally, i prefer this kind of attention) they saw me with my list and likely left it at that.

the front 2/5 of the floorspace is devoted to games. a front display shelf (as you walk in the door) has what i would call more "commercial"/children's games. behind that shelf as well as the next shelving unit and the wall that divides the retail game shelves from the gaming tables are filled with gamer's games. i'll admit that the selection wasn't as good as i was hoping for either time i've visited the store, but admittedly i've only been there in december (right after christmas) and march. still, the selection was good and i happily walked away with one of the games on my list. ([GAMEID=7854yinsh])

Lost Goblin is described above as being largely a RGP gaming store and my visit reinforced this. the front shelves in the window had a reasonable selection of games, but none of those on my list. we did receive more personalized attention from someone on staff, but the store was busy with some very active gamers (calling out for food so they didn't have to stop for dinner) and my wife wasn't in the mood for staying very long.

i'm still very pleased that rtp is able to support two gaming stores and that each has what appears to be a very loyal following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also, Games Galore seems to be no more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as of june 2008 there is also now a new games store on 64 heading towards zebulon called the game collection. (http://www.thegameconnection.com/)

if you're coming off of I-40 its on your left, shortly after the I-540 junction.

a very nice guy runs the place and he's working hard to become that section of town's friendly neighborhood gaming store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Snyder
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Lost Goblin's out too... was trying to pick up a game of Ra locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wescott
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Galore on Crabtree blvd (hwy 70) closed some time ago, and the Cary location changed it's name to All Fun and Games, be advised they have a decent selection but are a bit pricey. Lost Goblin Games which was near my house closed some time ago as well. I will have to check out the new game store on 64, hopefully they will stay in business. Hobbymasters has closed temporarily with no date to reopen and will not be in the same place as before. SciFi Genre http://www.scifigenre.com/store/ in Durham/Chapel Hill near the 15-501/85 split is awesome, lots of activity run by geeks and loved by geeks in the triangle. Take care all and if you are looking for a game in the triangle my group meets usually at least once a month, send me an email if interested.
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Oldham
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Besides those listed above. There is also a shop called the Game Connection in Knightdale NC. Not far from Raleigh. Nice selection of board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of three game stores in my neck of the woods. There is scifigenre in Durham (www.scifigenre.com). They have a nice selection of boardgames, miniature games, rpgs, and comics.

All Fun'n Games is the store talked about above in Apex on I-64. They had a great selection a few years ago, but the last few times I stopped by I was disappointed. I haven't been there in a few months.

The newest store is The Gamer's Armory (www.gamersarmory.com) in Cary. They have a great selection of boardgames. Everything from Carcassonne to Memoir '44 to Advanced Squad Leader. Lots of MMP Games and GMT Games products. Days of Wonder, Mayfair, and Rio Grande are also featured. A great store with a great selection -- highly recommended.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Oldham
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The Game Connection, www.thegameconnection.com in Knightdale has Family Board Game Night every Tuesday night at 6PM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron has a great store and the Family Game Night on Tuesdays is always well attended with a wide selection of games brought in for playing. The regulars are all very open to fresh blood new players and are a friendly group.

(BONUS! There's even a Krispe Kreme donut shop next door!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
msg tools
Gamer's Armory does seem to have a good selection of board games, mostly strategy games though.

I was a little disappointed in their lack of selection for some popular well ranked games though. Particularly some 2-player games and party games. Pandemic, Last Night on Earth, Time's Up! Total Recall, The Resistance, Mr. Jack, Ultimate Werewolf, and Alien Frontiers were on my list but they didn't carry some of them and others they had never heard of. I thought those were all popular enough to at least be known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Lynn Dunston
msg tools
gheintze wrote:
I know of three game stores in my neck of the woods. There is scifigenre in Durham (www.scifigenre.com). They have a nice selection of boardgames, miniature games, rpgs, and comics.

All Fun'n Games is the store talked about above in Apex on I-64. They had a great selection a few years ago, but the last few times I stopped by I was disappointed. I haven't been there in a few months.

The newest store is The Gamer's Armory (www.gamersarmory.com) in Cary. They have a great selection of boardgames. Everything from Carcassonne to Memoir '44 to Advanced Squad Leader. Lots of MMP Games and GMT Games products. Days of Wonder, Mayfair, and Rio Grande are also featured. A great store with a great selection -- highly recommended.

Geoff

A few updates, since this thread comes up on Google --

-- SciFi Genre is still in the same location, but recently changed their name to Atomic Empire. They have a full calendar of events; I believe board game night is Monday. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting but I am going to try to make it up there for Netrunner on Saturdays -- if I can ever get a weekend off!

-- All Fun & Games has moved from I-64 in Apex to 487 James Jackson Ave. in Cary. They (we, I should say, since I work there) are under new ownership. In fact, the new owner of AF&G used to run Games Galore, which was mentioned upthread. We are dropping Games Workshop in favor of stocking a better variety of board games. We also offer 20% off MSRP on everything, all the time. Board game night is Thursday.

-- Gamer's Armory started as an online store and they still have a great online selection. They still have tons of Games Workshop stuff and carry a fuller line of Roleplaying books than we do. Board game night is Wednesday.

-- Game Theory is now at Pleasant Valley Promenade on Glenwood Ave. in N. Raleigh. Board Game Night is Tuesday. I haven't been there but reports indicate that it's the biggest store in the area, particularly for Magic.

-- The Game Connection in Knightdale is also a stonesthrow from Raleigh. They offer Pathfinder on Saturdays and general RPG on Sundays. Their board game night is Tuesday as well.

So it's possible to game at a different store 4+ nights a week in the Triangle. What a great area to live in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls