Popular Tags: [View All]
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
Outinthedark wrote:
The footage I'm playing with is absolutely awful. Lots of warping. It will probably be just as much of a distraction.

I couldn't help myself and have downloaded the 720p video of the runthrough. I'm running it through the transcode stabilization algorithm, I'll report back when it's finished. It will take a while, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Also forgot to mention I'm processing a Youtube stabilized version of the Pivothead video, but that'll probably take 5 or 6 hours... will post an update to this thread when that's ready

I'll be curious how this turns out. I'm optimistic though, since the style of filming you are doing seems easier to stabilize than one that is constantly changing the view like when riding a mountain bike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Outinthedark wrote:
andvaranaut wrote:
How's the stabilized version coming along?

The footage I'm playing with is absolutely awful. Lots of warping. It will probably be just as much of a distraction.

Yup, that's Youtube stabilization for you... like you're watching a video of an acid trip or something. Here it is now, embedded, for folk's enjoyment

andvaranaut wrote:
Outinthedark wrote:

I couldn't help myself and have downloaded the 720p video of the runthrough. I'm running it through the transcode stabilization algorithm, I'll report back when it's finished. It will take a while, though.

I'd be very curious to see it, though it's not really something I would want to commit to... having to transcode every video I film myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Outinthedark wrote:
andvaranaut wrote:
How's the stabilized version coming along?

Yup, that's Youtube stabilization for you... like you're watching a video of an acid trip or something.

Rahdo Acid Trips Through...

Maybe a spin-off in there somewhere.

edit: Better yet, maybe a new stretch goal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard. I don't want to add to the complexity of the situation but wanted to throw in my opinion. What if you had a tripod that could be put directly above the play area pointing straight down just close enough that everything reached just to the end of the frame I think that could be pretty cool. This would ensure that the game didnt feel too "far away" and we could still be in on the action but you would have your hands free as well? Have you thought about something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
reckoner wrote:
Hi Richard. I don't want to add to the complexity of the situation but wanted to throw in my opinion. What if you had a tripod that could be put directly above the play area pointing straight down just close enough that everything reached just to the end of the frame I think that could be pretty cool. This would ensure that the game didnt feel too "far away" and we could still be in on the action but you would have your hands free as well? Have you thought about something like this?

Does such a thing exist? Amazon.de links, or it didn't happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I'd be very curious to see it, though it's not really something I would want to commit to... having to transcode every video I film myself

I have done a 4 minute test video, it's uploading to Youtube now. Much better than the trippy Youtube stabilization, although I'm not 100% sure if it qualifies as good enough. I think the main problem is parallax - you have very close objects in your video, and that's always going to trip image stabilization (the "acid" effect in Youtube is because YT is trying very hard to match the background, thus making the foreground look like a Roy Liechtenstein sculpture).

Re. shooting overhead, what you're looking for is a tripod arm, which works much the same way as a construction crane - you set your camera in one of the ends of the arm (basically a metallic arm), put a counterweight in the other end if needed for stability, and connect it to your current tripod so that the camera is located outside the tripod "feet" and pointing downwards. http://fstoppers.com/shooting-overhead-save-your-back-with-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
Re. shooting overhead, what you're looking for is a tripod arm, which works much the same way as a construction crane - you set your camera in one of the ends of the arm (basically a metallic arm), put a counterweight in the other end if needed for stability, and connect it to your current tripod so that the camera is located outside the tripod "feet" and pointing downwards. http://fstoppers.com/shooting-overhead-save-your-back-with-a...

But where to find such a thing in Malta...

pfft, scratch that. 'Tis a silly question.

But where to find such a thing in Europe, that can be shipped to Malta?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
But where to find such a thing in Europe, that can be shipped to Malta?

Amazon is probably a good bet, as long as you can find what the name in German of the thing is

Here's one I found by cheating (search in amazon.es and change .es -> .de):

http://www.amazon.de/Walimex-Pro-18244-Stativauslegearm/dp/B...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised, here's the first 4:10 run through the transcode image stabilization algorithm:

I find it a) leagues better than both the original and the Youtube version and b) acceptable enough in spite of some glaring artifacts (specially in the parts where the far background takes a lot of the frame; once the game explanation itself starts I think it does quite well).

Stabilization is very (CPU) time consuming - these 4 minutes took about 40 minutes total on my (admittedly quite ill-suited to the task) computer and software. But also runs essentially unattended. Perhaps you could also get some help to do the stabilization for you.

Opinions? Can Rahdo keep his new toy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judith Sherman
United States
JOHNSON CITY
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Do you want to play a board game?
mbmbmbmbmb
found the one in the article mentioned above at both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/Manfrotto-Auslegearm-2X-90%C2%B0-silber...

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-131D-Horizontal-Double-Acc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chiming in with my two cents. I hate YouTube's image stabilization, and I don't think that transcode thingy was much better. The idea with the pivothead is great, but I suggest waiting for a version with hardware stabilization. An overhead view like the BGG staff use at Spiel is a great idea if you can get one. But if you do end up with a normal tripod, try setting it up on your left instead. Then your right arm won't be in the way. (Tom Vasel could benefit from that... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
reckoner wrote:
What if you had a tripod that could be put directly above the play area pointing straight down just close enough that everything reached just to the end of the frame I think that could be pretty cool. This would ensure that the game didnt feel too "far away" and we could still be in on the action but you would have your hands free as well? Have you thought about something like this?

I actually posed this question in an earlier post. And provided the game did not "sprawl" too much on the table, this would provide a nice alternative view for people averse to the traditional run throughs. It seems that all you would need is a counterbalanced arm that would mount on an existing tripod.

Thunkd wrote:
Jefferoni wrote:
Are there no shoulder or chest harnesses for vidcams that would work?
Something like this:
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/641635022.htm?

Exactly. It may help with your shoulder fatigue, and with the image stabilization already present with your Panasonic, shakiness wouldn't be a problem...it may be worthwhile looking into something like this. Oh, and it seems like it would free both hands from time to time if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Thompson
United States
Norfolk
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
I find it a) leagues better than both the original and the Youtube version and b) acceptable enough in spite of some glaring artifacts (specially in the parts where the far background takes a lot of the frame; once the game explanation itself starts I think it does quite well).

Stabilization is very (CPU) time consuming - these 4 minutes took about 40 minutes total on my (admittedly quite ill-suited to the task) computer and software. But also runs essentially unattended. Perhaps you could also get some help to do the stabilization for you.

Opinions? Can Rahdo keep his new toy?

http://goo.gl/TEKZG5

The warping and scaling is still a distraction to me. While it is better than the original and Youtube stabilization, I honestly still wouldn't watch it. I played with the clip in After Effects and didn't bother uploading or even rendering out the video. If there isn't a simple and easy solution I don't think it's worth pursuing. A hardware solution is the way to go, the glasses seem like a gimmick in terms of practicality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would adding weight to the glasses help in not having them jump around so much when you talk? That seems to be the primary source of the shaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I never minded the original iphone videos, so I guess my tolerances are high. Having said that, I liked the youtube stabilization best of these. The transcode seemed to still shake a lot, but also had weird warping...sort of the worst of both worlds. If I were the only viewer in the world, I would vote to use the glasses with youtube stabilization, but I realize that wouldn't work well for many folks.

I definitely favor keeping the glasses for conventions and other uses, unless you think a newer model with hardware stabilization might be released soon.

+1 to exploring some kind of tripod/hanging camera system that would put a stationary camera right above your head. However, the total lack of movement would feel like an odd shift away from the Rahdo videos I know and love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read a pivothead review which says that it has gyroscopic stabilization:

"The gyroscopic image stabilization and continuous-auto focus kick in when 'Active Mode' is selected." I assume you had that enabled and it wasn't enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
through the transcode image stabilization algorithm:

I don't think there's a universal algorithm. Be aware that this is situational and some movies could look better while others worse + you might need to check more than one algorithm per movie which seems to be a waste of time...

Offtopic:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ha! I imagined Richard with one of his chickens wearing glasses and filming the game while he is playing you know, chickens have magically stabilized heads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio M
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it fine to just save the glasses for when you absolutely cannot runthrough a game without both hands? You can keep doing the videos the way you have been doing them. This just opens up the ability to play those games that would require both hands, with the understanding that the trade-off is a little more shakiness than the usual Rahdo video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Thompson
United States
Norfolk
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindpanzer wrote:
Isn't it fine to just save the glasses for when you absolutely cannot runthrough a game without both hands? You can keep doing the videos the way you have been doing them. This just opens up the ability to play those games that would require both hands, with the understanding that the trade-off is a little more shakiness than the usual Rahdo video.

Exactly what I said earlier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm fine with the stabilized glasses video. However, I think some sort of chest harness is the way to go. I think part of the appeal of your videos is that it feels like we are at the table playing with you. I think you lose this with overhead and tripod views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powellmark wrote:
rahdo wrote:

But it seems they're, not really ideal for long video runthroughs of boardgames so back they go!

As a Kickstarter Backer, my vote is to keep them, enjoy them and use them for the conferences you go to as well as personal fun.

THe stabilized seems ok to watch.

I also would agree to keep them, you might find them very useful at Essen and such (also as a backer I am very cool with that!)

I also like the quicker turnaround without the stabilization via Youtube, but think if you are playing something you need to have your hands for it could be a lifesaver!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not bad. I like most the "vanilla" one, without stabilization. But I am in the lucky group that wasn't bothered by the trippy iPhone videos, so it was to be expected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
It's not the overwhelming success I thought it would be - darn. If it makes you do your job easier - I can deal with the swimming boxes and pieces.

One other tidbit - it does have a feeling of being further away from the action, so I do miss the personal feeling a bit of being in the seat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.