Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must disagree with almost everyone who has posted to this thread.

Chickens plus dogs video? Brilliant. I want to play this game NOW.

When will this be available for backing on Kickstarter??

Must have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither my wife nor I could take the runthroughs with the glasses, unstabilized and stabilized alike. It left us with headaches. The tripod version felt very cold. We're definitely in the handheld camera camp.

That said, we were okay with it when you ran through your house and OH MY GOD CHICKENS!!!!! That was great and then when the beagles were running! More animals is definitely in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
justinlca wrote:
Personally, I'm fine with the stabilized glasses video. However, I think some sort of chest harness is the way to go. I think part of the appeal of your videos is that it feels like we are at the table playing with you. I think you lose this with overhead and tripod views.

I can't speak for the others who have suggested it, but the main reason an overhead camera might be useful is merely as an adjunct to the traditional 1st person perspective, NOT as a replacement for it. For those susceptible to vertigo, a fixed camera for each game might attract new viewers/followers to RRT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the test, JM. That was really fascinating to see a different stabilization algorithm - the results are better, IMO, but still these glasses were supposed to make things easier, not harder, so I still think they gotta go back. It sucks that I'll lose the shipping back and forth, as well as the customs charges that I got hit with, but still, I'll be able to just by another camcorder locally and set that up as the 2nd feed.

I'll look more at the overhead rig stuff, though if I simply put it over my left shoulder instead of my right (as Eirik mentioned), I suspect the static camera will be much more watchable, since my right hand won't block the shot so much.

Disappointed with the whole thing. I had hoped that the 'gyroscopic stabilizer' that it mentioned in the online advertising would be enough, but it clearly wasn't (and TBH I saw no evidence of it, even though I was filming in 'active mode'). Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Thanks for the test, JM. That was really fascinating to see a different stabilization algorithm - the results are better, IMO, but still these glasses were supposed to make things easier, not harder, so I still think they gotta go back.

The problem is parallax, and unfortunately it's one you're always going to have that close to your subjects. For a less specific use they would probably have been fine, but for your particular geometry I'm afraid that there's no easy solution. I think that the software-stabilized version is acceptable, but it's certainly a bit of a step back.

Quote:
It sucks that I'll lose the shipping back and forth, as well as the customs charges that I got hit with, but still, I'll be able to just by another camcorder locally and set that up as the 2nd feed.

I'll look more at the overhead rig stuff,

I wonder how cost-effective that route is as compared with just keeping the glasses and using them as the second camera. The image quality seemed pretty decent, and they'll be way lighter than a video camera, which would allow you to get them overhead without using counterweights or anything of the sort. And that would allow you to keep the glasses for uses like cons and uploading more vids of your chickens.

Then again, that would need you to rig some system to keep the glasses in place while filming and perhaps that's more trouble than it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
Then again, that would need you to rig some system to keep the glasses in place while filming and perhaps that's more trouble than it's worth.

Yup, that was originally my thought too, but then I realized it would be quite a bit of DIY to rig some sort of holder for them... maybe take a big block of styrofoam and jam them into some holes, but then I'd have a hard time lining the glasses up to record, since I wouldn't be able to see what they're filming till I'm done...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say the stabalized version looked fine to me. It was also fun watching the glasses-version at the same time as the fixed version - gave two very different, but interesting, viewpoints - that is, until my crappy internet connection caused one to pause for half a minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
I have to say the stabalized version looked fine to me. It was also fun watching the glasses-version at the same time as the fixed version - gave two very different, but interesting, viewpoints - that is, until my crappy internet connection caused one to pause for half a minute.

Yeah, I paritcuarily like that people could do this.

You could download both and play them in 2 video players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is still for a separate recording device and a switch. You can hang as many cameras as you want
But choosing between the four option I will go for number three. The old and trusted cam in the hand. Number one was unwatchable and number two was just spooky. If there was a better spot for the tripod version that could be an alternative. If you going for the double route, take the handcam and de tripod cam. Leave both running at the same time. With the new internet connection it can still be uploaded reasonably fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
My vote is still for a separate recording device and a switch. You can hang as many cameras as you want

I can't imagine Jen would like to have some big camera rig hanging around in our living room all the time... it was quite the compromise to get the movie projector screen hung from the ceiling! Plus, we have no place to store anything more...

I did see that Tom Vasel has one of these switches now which he used in his My Little Pony video, and it seemed cool. But TBH, it became something he had to remind himself to switch, and he seemed to forget it (or so I thought... I didn't really watch the video very long... no interest in the subject matter, naturally).

I do love the notion that if I just post both feeds, that users can download or stream both at the same time, split screen style, and focus on one or the other as they like. I think that would be awesome... too bad Youtube doesn't have an "alternate camera angle" option currently (like early DVDs used to do as a gimmick).

Quote:
If there was a better spot for the tripod version that could be an alternative.

Yeah, I'd definitely find a better spot... I just kind of plunked it down in a spot where I could reach the power button and didn't think anything about it... didn't realize till after how much my arm blocked everything!

Quote:
If you going for the double route, take the handcam and de tripod cam. Leave both running at the same time. With the new internet connection it can still be uploaded reasonably fast.

Yup, that's the plan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Powell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People could use http://youtubedoubler.com/ to run both in the same window. It takes care of sync'ing them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powellmark wrote:
People could use http://youtubedoubler.com/ to run both in the same window. It takes care of sync'ing them as well.
Okay, that's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powellmark wrote:

That's pretty cool, though it doesn't do the kind of stuff one would hope... if the 2 vids are in sync, and I jump to 5 minutes in on one, you'd hope they both jump to the same spot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Erwin
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add another vote for the overhead / over shoulder perspective option as well, but point out that I do prefer the 2x speed frantic handheld fast-talking style that I've grown to love and appreciate.

I was gonna suggest the youtube doubler, but powellmark beat me to it.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube....

If you mute the right video, it doesn't matter so much if the audio is off a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Thompson
United States
Norfolk
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I can't imagine Jen would like to have some big camera rig hanging around in our living room all the time... it was quite the compromise to get the movie projector screen hung from the ceiling! Plus, we have no place to store anything more...

One of my cheaper camera tripods can align at a 90 degree angle allowing me to get fantastic top down perspective shots. Can stand up to 7' tall and then pack down into ~2.5'. It's sturdy enough to hold my 5DII ~2.5' or so away from the base with a counter weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Tripod-Legs-Black/d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outinthedark wrote:
rahdo wrote:

One of my cheaper camera tripods can align at a 90 degree angle allowing me to get fantastic top down perspective shots. Can stand up to 7' tall and then pack down into ~2.5'. It's sturdy enough to hold my 5DII ~2.5' or so away from the base with a counter weight.

One of the cheaper ones??? At 200 bones!? Yikes!

And I thought $50 was crazy expensive... surprise

edit: that said, I just watched the little video of it, and wow, that is pretty sweet. Never thought I'd say that about a tripod!

Do you know of anything similar that is perhaps not quite so professional, but gets the same job done, on amazon.com that I could hopefully find on amazon.de?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outinthedark wrote:
rahdo wrote:

YES! This!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Erwin
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

Do you know of anything similar that is perhaps not quite so professional...?

How crafty are you? http://www.instructables.com/id/Overhead-Camera-Tripod/

Get a couple pieces of wood, some wing nuts and washers and bolts, drill a few holes.... ....what the... that guy made it way super complicated. Not really sure why he got so fussy with it, but you could easily do this faster than it takes to read all of his steps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, crafty? Nope. Jen is, but she doesn't have any tools here in Malta really... all left back in the UK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Erwin
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how much Maltese customs would charge to have a package shipped to you. I've got scrap wood in my woodshop and Home Depot is 2 miles from my house.

This would work:

http://www.amazon.de/Manfrotto-Gelenkarm-2-tlg-mit-Kamerapla...

when combined with this:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000JLM4XG/ref=s9_simh_se_p2... ---this is nicer because it clamps onto the table, and you don't have to trip over tripod legs.

hmm... they have some cheaper ones...but they're missing the mounting plate for the camera to screw into.

(edit: removed the bad link)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Thompson
United States
Norfolk
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Outinthedark wrote:
rahdo wrote:

One of the cheaper ones??? At 200 bones!? Yikes!

And I thought $50 was crazy expensive... surprise

edit: that said, I just watched the little video of it, and wow, that is pretty sweet. Never thought I'd say that about a tripod!

Do you know of anything similar that is perhaps not quite so professional, but gets the same job done, on amazon.com that I could hopefully find on amazon.de?

I think I spent $125 on it (that doesn't include the ball mount head) but my other tripod is much more expensive as it's made of carbon fibre. This one though survived a fall down some rocks so it's been worth the price for me. I'm sure Amazon is not the cheapest place I just posted the first link for that particular tripod. You can always consider a ball head mount that has a 90 degree angle option or a slide arm mount. This all depends on what tripod you have of course.

I can't find much on Amazon.de but I've seen this small tripod recommended for small/lightweight cameras.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D60LG8/?tag=article-boardgamege...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Erwin
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outinthedark wrote:
I can't find much on Amazon.de but I've seen this small tripod recommended for small/lightweight cameras.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D60LG8/?tag=article-boardgamege...

I own that tripod. It's fantastic....but it doesn't have a boom arm for the overhead solution. Reversing the central tube is more for macro or product photography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad about Pivothead. I wonder how Google Glass would of looked...maybe it can be a stretch goal or something for next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some ideas for freeing your hands and maintaining a first person perspective with less shakiness:

This one you could clamp to your table right in front of you. It should adjust easily for close-ups:

http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/heavy_duty_flex_arm_kit...

I think this one ships from China so it shouldn't be too expensive:

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Digital_Cameras-C...

Shoulder rig:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe R
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at the Go Pro line of video cameras? Alton Brown from Food Network has used one to film cooking. They are ~$400 US. There are accessories to mount the cameras on your head and chest. Just a thought.

http://gopro.com/cameras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.