Subject: Pivothead & tripod tests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Outinthedark wrote:
rahdo wrote:
I can't imagine Jen would like to have some big camera rig hanging around in our living room all the time... it was quite the compromise to get the movie projector screen hung from the ceiling! Plus, we have no place to store anything more...

One of my cheaper camera tripods can align at a 90 degree angle allowing me to get fantastic top down perspective shots. Can stand up to 7' tall and then pack down into ~2.5'. It's sturdy enough to hold my 5DII ~2.5' or so away from the base with a counter weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Tripod-Legs-Black/d...

One of the cheaper ones??? At 200 bones!? Yikes!

And I thought $50 was crazy expensive... surprise

edit: that said, I just watched the little video of it, and wow, that is pretty sweet. Never thought I'd say that about a tripod!

Do you know of anything similar that is perhaps not quite so professional, but gets the same job done, on amazon.com that I could hopefully find on amazon.de?

Why bother shopping around? If you're actually returning the glasses (though I think you should just keep them), then that cost can go towards the tripod easily enough. Or some of the current overage or whatnot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you know of anything similar that is perhaps not quite so professional

That phrase made me think of ThereIFixedIt.com to see if they had any helpful suggestions. I only found this one:
http://cheezburger.com/6585091328
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the results of the test, I don't think that anything fixed to the head will do any better than the Pivothead. If anything, it will be worse, since the movement will be exacerbated. The watery/acid trip effect is due to parallax and no amount of stabilization is going to correct for that, simply because it's optically impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
retsam3349 wrote:
Have you looked at the Go Pro line of video cameras? Alton Brown from Food Network has used one to film cooking. They are ~$400 US. There are accessories to mount the cameras on your head and chest. Just a thought.

http://gopro.com/cameras

Not sure about GoPro. I have one with various mounts, but it has a very wide angle lens with no zoom that I know of (unless they make a different model) which may not work real well for the kind of "close quarters" videos Richard does. Also, I think he likes the immediate control he has with his zoom which allows for very authentic 1st person perspective.

I do like the tripod featured from the earlier post with the built-in adjustable boom for the 2nd camera (Manfrotto?). I doubt many would have a problem with the added expense if it meant more versatility and an improved product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kossowan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm, the shades may not work well for the runthroughs (that YouTube-stabilized one was creepy), but if you're going to do other videos of Essen, BGGCon, or other walkaround events may be worth having them kicking around for those.

Then you just get looked at for talking to your sunglasses instead of waving a camera around. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
anjulka wrote:
Why bother shopping around?

Mostly just that it's kind of ingrained in me. Always trying to get the cheapest (whatever) my whole life is one of the reasons I was able to retire early!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jer Wolfe
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
It's not the overwhelming success I thought it would be - darn. If it makes you do your job easier - I can deal with the swimming boxes and pieces.

One other tidbit - it does have a feeling of being further away from the action, so I do miss the personal feeling a bit of being in the seat.

+1 Scott!! This is the exact thing I missed, stabilized or not. I liked how you were "part" of the action...

also (OT) boardgamegeektv's play through of Suburbia Se2 Ep2, was an abysmal failure for that same reason.
You could not see any of the tiles and could barely follow who was doing what or even the inside jokes about someone playing a certain tile.
Worst game playthrough they have done, IMHO. Needed to get closer, ala rahdo type view...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jer Wolfe
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
anjulka wrote:

Mostly just that it's kind of ingrained in me. Always trying to get the cheapest (whatever) my whole life is one of the reasons I was able to retire early!
Richard,

I think if you forgot you had them on and "got into the game" like you do when your hand filming, it would be fine.
You stabilized YT runthrough was "ok" but you needed to look at things closer and get your view into the game.

It felt as if you were aloof of the game and beneath playing it... Lol. Kind of like a bit of a snoot, we like to say.
Do you always play "above" the game like that? Could your try knicking down a bit similar to elbow on table and chin in palm?
You should also *try one were your not thinking about the frame limits and just do your normal runthrough, and if you can't then just sit on your free hand... whistle

EDIT- *Before you send them back, that is!
Also you seemed very afraid to move your head normal like.
I could tell you were consciously thinking about your head movements...

On your house, it was fricking brilliant and so bloody cozy, loved the way the bed was in the middle of the room and facing the outside, stunning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfe13 wrote:
Needed to get closer, ala rahdo type view...

Yeah, when I get the 2nd camera thing worked out, I'll try to ensure the static camera is as close as possible, while still being useful... maybe I'll get good at showing stuff to it as well, though I can't promise anything there... my main focus will always be the camera in my hand

Quote:
Do you always play "above" the game like that?

Because the glasses have a narrow FOV, I had to sit up straighter than I normally do and look more downwards, IIRC. Plus, when I'm filming with a cam in hand, I'm much closer to the board in general, and lower towards the table as well...

Quote:
You should also *try one were your not thinking about the frame limits and just do your normal runthrough, and if you can't then just sit on your free hand... whistle

Oh I did, and I didn't bother posting that test. For half of the video, you couldn't see what I was talking about, because my eyes had a wider FOV than the camera did...

Quote:
I could tell you were consciously thinking about your head movements...

Yup, and in spite of that, there was still a ton of motion. Imagine if I was really not thinking about it... my head goes all over the place normally

Quote:
On your house, it was fricking brilliant and so bloody cozy, loved the way the bed was in the middle of the room and facing the outside, stunning!

Yeah, we love that too. It's a fantastic apartment, and so cheap! Benefits of living in Malta... one of the lower cost of living countries in central Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Breeze
United States
Southington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard,

I don't know if any one suggested this yet, but what if you hung the glasses over the gameboard for a static shot and continued using the handheld for your closeups. I think the reason why the handheld works so well is that you are viewing in real time what we will eventually see. All of the other mounts (head, shoulder, chest, and even the glasses), you can't really see what you are filming. Anyway, my apologies if someone has already suggested this. Best to you and Jen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteelBreeze wrote:
Hi Richard,

I don't know if any one suggested this yet, but what if you hung the glasses over the gameboard for a static shot and continued using the handheld for your closeups. I think the reason why the handheld works so well is that you are viewing in real time what we will eventually see. All of the other mounts (head, shoulder, chest, and even the glasses), you can't really see what you are filming. Anyway, my apologies if someone has already suggested this. Best to you and Jen.

That was actually my original thought.... that if the glasses didn't work out, no prob, I'd use them as the static cam. And I tried a few different ways to mount them, but the problem was that it was very difficult to know where they were going to show, since you can see what you've recorded till your done...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am coming in late on the discussion here, but it seems like the Pivothead glasses cam would have been useful when you are at conventions walking around. Then your hands would be free for carrying things and shaking hands with fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
niledesign wrote:
I know I am coming in late on the discussion here, but it seems like the Pivothead glasses cam would have been useful when you are at conventions walking around. Then your hands would be free for carrying things and shaking hands with fans.

Yup, very true, but $599 for that one use seems a bit high!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Yup, very true, but $599 for that one use seems a bit high!

If it's going to cost you $275 in customs fees either way it's just $324.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this helps, but both you and Ricky Royal do the best job at allowing me to really feel like I'm at the table.

I don't know all the details, but I believe he uses a combination of a hand held camera as well as putting it on a tripod. Is there anything you can borrow from his approach to help you determine your enhanced approach? Perhaps just camera placement related to a tripod? I'm not sure. I just know that the approach you both use has made you the most guilty helpful in how many games I have bought. Your filming approaches have quite a few similarities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Rick spends quite some time editing, which is not Richard's thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:

Yup, that's the problem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Tjohei wrote:

Yup, that's the problem...

Oops, sorry, I wasn't looking to add in editing time. I was just referring to your exploration into tripods and multiple cameras. Since he seems to use them, maybe there is useful info there about placement or how best to leverage them that helps you land on a final solution.

I could be wrong also, maybe even that is too linked to editing. Just an idea I'm throwing out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Hayward
Japan
Koto-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
anjulka wrote:

I wish I was as cost-efficient as you Richard. I just can't help throwing my wallet at every game with an exciting new mechanic I see. C'est la vie.

I guess I'll be working until I'm 450 at this rate. (T_T)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jadehope wrote:
rahdo wrote:
anjulka wrote:

I wish I was as cost-efficient as you Richard. I just can't help throwing my wallet at every game with an exciting new mechanic I see. C'est la vie.

I guess I'll be working until I'm 450 at this rate. (T_T)

Well, TBH, I'm kind of the same way. It's really Jen who is the cost conscious one, but I guess you could say I'm "Jen conscious"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.