Popular Tags: Glasgow [+] [View All]
Luís Evangelista
Portugal
Santa Iria de Azoia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

A friend of mine has taken a trip to Glasgow for some days and I remembered that he could bring me some hard to find games.

Can someone please tell about a good store located there, if any?

thank you for your help thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Evangelista
Portugal
Santa Iria de Azoia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Com'on guys!...

don't Scotts play boardgames???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Evangelista
Portugal
Santa Iria de Azoia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jim
Can you tell me something obout the prices? are they cheap, average or expensive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
All the times I have been there I have come away with some bargains, as there usually is discounted stock. Mostly on CCG and (secondhand) RPG lines but I have picked up many a great boardgame too. Dig around in the corners an under the racks, worth it.

Finding the place might prove a bit tricky as it is on the first floor in one of those places that has nail polishers and second hand books, and a lot of stalls with pure junk. Static Games is the most pro-looking outfit of the lot. Avoid the cafe. It's old-school Glasgow. Think grease. Then add more.

Ask for Argyl Market if you can't find the stairs/elevator that gets you there, it's an institute so people will know it. The shop is small, but not that small and fairly well stocked. It is on a par with the ones in London and Amsterdam, and nearly as big as the ones in New York and Utrecht that I have been to.

And in shops like these I am never too bothered if I end up spending a (reasonable) premium. Visit Static Games in Glasgow and Black Lion Games in Edinburgh an you have seen the best stocked FLGS Scotland has to offer. After that it is quite a wee drive before you strike gold again.

There is also a small shop behind the Tron Theatre in Parnie Street that has some stuff of interest, mainly wargames. I have never really figured out what opening times it has or what its stocking policy is, but if you are in that area it might be worth dropping by. I always expect it to disappear but have done that for about 10 years now, somehow it just hangs in there. There is a comic shop (or two?) in the same street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Evangelista
Portugal
Santa Iria de Azoia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys!...
I'll give it a try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brooks
Scotland
Stirling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Static in Argyle Market is your best (and only) bet for boardgames, but I wouldn't describe the staff there as particularly knowlegeable about boardgames. One of the guys will harp on for three hours about ccg's for you but I wouldn't expect any particular advice about boardgame releases. Their boss Kenny is a good guy but he's rarely in the shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Evangelista
Portugal
Santa Iria de Azoia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry guys, but my friend didn't manage to find the store... surprisesurprisesurprise

He said he even asked at the post office and that they knew nothing of an Argyle Market...

Can you please give me a more precise location?

Again, thank you very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brooks
Scotland
Stirling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Static Games
Argyle Market
28 Argyle Street
Glasgow G1
Tel: 0141 226 5414

I think that your map might be pointing at a different Argyle Street?!?. I don't recognize your photo. Argyle street is on this Multimap link: http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=25950...

The way to find them is: If you start off at the Central Station end of Argyle street(under the big green railway bridge with Central"written over the road), walk down Argyle Street towards the Trongate direction (ask anyone - its the pink clock-tower off in the distance). (Union St is up to your left, Games Workshop is up there if you are interested). Anyway - head down Argyle street towards trongate. St Enochs tube station is on your right, then keep going for about a five minute walk.

I cant remember any good landmarks for the market (but I think WH Smiths is on your right somewhere near there), though its in the pedestrianised section of Argyle St. Ask someone for the Argyle Market. Its just a tatty entrance to a flight of stairs on your left (probably someone selling a load of old tat from a street stall at the front of the entrance). Head up the stairs then bear left on the first floor, through the door and head down to the end. Static is in there.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, the entrance looks more than a little foreboding. You see no shops or anything through the door except a lift and the stairs (I think).
Everything is upstairs.

I have found a picture of the street entrance to the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If the directions and picture above aren't enough I'm pretty sure the Argyle Market is where I have put the red dot on this picture.

As for

origamidennis wrote:
Nautilus wrote:
Hi,
Static in Argyle Market is your best (and only) bet for boardgames
Not quite 'only'. There's Abacus on Gibson Street (not far from Glasgow University)
You are right to point out the existence of Abacus, however it has a fairly limited stock and is very over-priced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STATIC HAVE MOVED

Thought I had better point this out for anyone who comes across this thread in the future.

Static now have a new shop which is much bigger than the last one.

35-39 King St
Glasgow G1 5RA

Tel. 0141 552 9785
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls