Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmb
Late night feature!

You can now make proposals for "representative images" for every game. Also, you can moderate these proposals via [GeekMod Data].

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmod.php?action=datamod

It's easy to nominate an image. Just click "Propose" from the image gallery for a game. Then wait for the geekmods to approve or decline the proposal. We'll figure out how to use these images around the site, but for now they are used for the image in the Information module at the top of the game page.

You get .25 for submitting a proposal that gets accepted, and the uploader of that image also gets a 1 bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Why can't I propose an image I uploaded? That seems to defeat the purpose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: Use the representative image in geeklists when the image id is left blank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The links to the games are off; it only says

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis SG
Spain
S.S. Reyes
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the people are proposing the Box of the game... i dont think it should be Representative Image of the Box... it should be Representative Image of THE GAME. You can see the box everywhere! An image of a game started or the components set up is better, i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:

I agree with this too... why not let people propose their own images? just proposing them, not moderating them...

But anyway, I don't like this feature too much... it seems it's going to go back and forth when people can't agree on some games, and then each time has to be moderated again.

BTW, is the geekgold reward given each time the image is changed, no matter if the image aproved was at some point before the representative image?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need some usage indications. If these "representative" images are to be used as the main image on the game page and in geeklists by default, that means it'll have to be something that works well in small format.

There's heaps of images that are great full size, but useless small.

ps I'm one who would agree that images of the box are usually less "representative" than a sensible detail image of the game itself. Assuming there's an image of appropriate lighting/size/quality for the small format, personally I'd be going for, in order of preference...
- A good (close?) detail of a distinguishing feature of the game in progress
- A good detail of the board/pieces
- A clear flat box cover image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all a quite subjective process. I'm going for the box front and / or beautiful close ups.

I'm against woman holding box / person looking weird / home made game components. Not that there's anything wrong with those pictures, but I'd like to see either a box or a beautiful gamepic as representative picture.

And while modding this, you'll see some strange 'games':

Outside the Scope of BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running through lots of modding... and seeing stuff I have no idea if the close images are representative or not 'cause I've never seen the game.

It takes up to 30 seconds per mod page to load. "Skip" feels like a let down.

For which reason ... I reckon perhaps you should only offer "representative image" modding to people who have actually rated the game (regardless of rating of course). Unless the game has less than some number of ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LuXo wrote:
Most of the people are proposing the Box of the game... i dont think it should be Representative Image of the Box... it should be Representative Image of THE GAME. You can see the box everywhere! An image of a game started or the components set up is better, i think.

I agree with this 100%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
It takes up to 30 seconds per mod page to load. "Skip" feels like a let down.
You could restructure the html so that most browsers will load the current representative image first, then the proposed image, then the others.

Some images are immediately clearly good or bad. I don't need the other 15 to show before I can decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:

Not at all. The idea is not self-aggrandizement. The idea is whether other people think your image is worthy. Everyone thinks his own baby is the cutest thing ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final thought ... are the other existing images just in descending order of image ID? They should be randomised amongst the top X recommends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
...on a related issue:

I really like the "Browse" Image Gallery where smaller versions of all of the images are on the same page(s), however, is it possible to include the picture caption underneath the pictures? It would help with identifying which versions (including custom-made) the image is for in the "Browse" mode...I realize not everyone posts a caption, however, it would be great if the captions could appear on the "browse gallery page(s)" and not just when viewing the individual images one by one.

I wasn't sure where else to post this...thanks for reading! fofluff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swandive78 wrote:
The Maverick wrote:

Not at all. The idea is not self-aggrandizement. The idea is whether other people think your image is worthy. Everyone thinks his own baby is the cutest thing ever.

I don't quite agree... If your image is the only one that fits the purpose, you should be able to propose it. Then others (not you) will finally decide. This is specially important if you want to propose an image for a game that is not so popular...

Anyway, I liked it better when a different image would show up each time I'd visit a game's page... I'm not sure this feature really has a purpose (maybe it's good for the geeklists...)

An idea would be to keep a list of proposed images and show a diferent image each time the game page is loaded, from the ones that have at least a number of agreement votes...

Right now if someone doesn't like the current image they'll propose another one and when that one is accepted, someone else will propose the old one again, and so on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole representative image thing reminds me of that old joke: "how to keep an idiot busy"

I would love to have a "representative image" for every game, but I want it to be an image of my choice. How hard would it to be to make this a personalized setting, so we could choose our own for each game? I think having this feature community-selected is worse than random image selection. The current list of proposed images is overflowing with boring box shots. I waded through this crap for 15 minutes this morning, but it seemed to be neverending. Maybe 1/3 of the proposed images were worthy. Whee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I've been on this site for 10 years now, and I'm far from sick of games, but I think I am, to some degree, sick of learning too many new games. I'm also tired of playing 4+ hr multiplayer games, but I'll still happily play really long games 2 player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying that everyone that uses bgg needs to financially support the site, but it is remarkable to me how often in life the people sipping the free iced tea complain the loudest about the level of sweetness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shaveandahaircut wrote:
I'm not saying that everyone that uses bgg needs to financially support the site, but it is remarkable to me how often in life the people sipping the free iced tea complain the loudest about the level of sweetness.

This comment was totally unnecessary. Even people who have not donated money upload content to this site. Monetary donations are not the only way that this site remains up and running.

I have two major reasons why I personally have not donated to the site. If anyone is curious, feel free to send geekmail as to not derail this topic further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
The current list of proposed images is overflowing with boring box shots. I waded through this crap for 15 minutes this morning, but it seemed to be neverending. Maybe 1/3 of the proposed images were worthy. Whee!

That is because "boring box shots" make better representative images. If you can have only one image of a game, do you want it to be of the components, which you will never see unless you come across someone playing the game, or of the box so that you recognize the game when you are in a store? For most games, the box is easily more recognizable than the components, especially in a low resolution thumbnail-style picture.

--Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue is that boxshots are easily obtainable. On most game entries, there is a boxshot right there in the "marketplace" column. Otherwise, box shots are easily found on almost every online game store's website.

Personally, my favorite representative image is of the components, including the box, all laid out in an organized image. If no quality image of this sort is available, a clear image of the game in mid-play (or at least set up) will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
cbrua wrote:
That is because "boring box shots" make better representative images.

Completely wrong.

cbrua wrote:
If you can have only one image of a game, do you want it to be of the components, which you will never see unless you come across someone playing the game[...]

Or, perhaps, play it yourself.

cbrua wrote:
[...]or of the box so that you recognize the game when you are in a store?

What experience are we trying to "represent" here, shopping or gaming?

The rule for selecting a "representive" image should clearly exclude box shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather not see box covers as the representative image. That's just marketing and not telling you anything about the game. But since people can vote, I guess the majority rules.

It seems like you can't propose an image while there is already one for that game undergoing consideration. That means you have to wait until the game gets its representative image, then you can propose a new one?

On a minis game, I noticed someone proposed an image with modified (painted) figures. That seems like a really bad idea. Why pick a picture that isn't part of the game as it is out of the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
If you can have only one image of a game, do you want it to be of the components, which you will never see unless you come across someone playing the game...

YES!! that's EXACTLY why I want the components to be part of the representative image.

There have been some good ones that have both -- the box cover is in the background, with the board and bits laid out in a typical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cahill
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the fact that the uploader gets GG. It's a way of rewarding unique content. I prefer a few mediocre images on an obscure game to hundreds of images for a popular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.