Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Weird that they changed the name of the German edition to Fungi.
Anyone know what was wrong with the German word for Morels?
Off the top of my head I can't think of this happening very often, for a flat reprint with no rules changes and no significant changes to the game.
Diamant became Diamant, but that was with a significant rule change/addition (artifacts), not to mention completely different art, components, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian S.
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
German word for morels is "Morcheln" (plural of Morchel), which just doesn't sound very appealing standing on its own I guess. Fungi is used a lot more and a common word to describe all sorts of shrooms. It hails from Italian restaurants and their Pizza Funghi, which is as you guess, a mushroom Pizza.

Pure guessing here but that could be a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These new European editions do have completely new art for all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Sylvicolus wrote:

I don’t know why. Have they said? I love the art in Morels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Sylvicolus wrote:

I don’t know why. Have they said? I love the art in Morels.

and the art in fungi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Ottmaier
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi JhonnyDollar,

Fungi has completely new artwork, the rules of the fly agaric changed and we are in Europe with many different languages. As we sell the game all over in Europe (including english rules) we try to find a name which is international and well understood in all countries.
According to those points "Morels" or "Morcheln" (which does not sound appealing for a game by the way) would not have been a good choice; as Sebastian said "Funghi" is often used in Italian restaurants.
Fungi is the plural form of Fungus, the Latin word for mushrooms. As all cards have the Latin name of the mushroom (Latin is the common form for names of mushrooms for people collecting mushrooms because there exist a lot of different names in all languages; and in order that everyone knows which mushroom someone is talking about they use the Latin name) Fungi is a consequent name for the game AND international. (Beside the game is more about mushrooms but just Morels - just three cards a Morels :-) .)

Those are the thoughts of the editor of the Pegasus Version of Morels (who discussed nearly every detail with the author). Hope they explain our choice and give you some interesting insights.

Best regards

Klaus Ottmaier

Editor Pegasus Spiele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, why did you change the Fairy Ring Mushroom (Marasmius oreades) to a Birch Bolete (Leccinum scabrum) and the Destroying Angel (Amanita virosa) to a Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria)?

And one other question: The card stock for Morels was such that the cards were difficult to shuffle well. Has the card stock changed for this edition?

I love the new artwork! My partner and I, who love this game immensely, are thinking about picking up this edition. Thank you for republishing this game for a wider audience. It deserves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Ottmaier
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi Jonathan,

Fairy Ring: This isn`t a mushroom, it`s a way different mushrooms grow. It did not fit to the rest of the Fungi to my mind.

Fly Agaric: This is the better known poisonous mushroom in Europe and has a nice and different appearance with its red cap.

Cards: Yes, the quality of the cards is different because we produced the game in Germany. The cards have the same quality as all our card games.

By the way: I love the game too ;-).

Keep playing

Klaus Ottmaier

Editor Pegasus Spiele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I find the reason to be immorel. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Klaus Ottmaier wrote:
Hi JhonnyDollar,

Fungi has completely new artwork, the rules of the fly agaric changed and we are in Europe with many different languages. As we sell the game all over in Europe (including english rules) we try to find a name which is international and well understood in all countries.
According to those points "Morels" or "Morcheln" (which does not sound appealing for a game by the way) would not have been a good choice; as Sebastian said "Funghi" is often used in Italian restaurants.
Fungi is the plural form of Fungus, the Latin word for mushrooms. As all cards have the Latin name of the mushroom (Latin is the common form for names of mushrooms for people collecting mushrooms because there exist a lot of different names in all languages; and in order that everyone knows which mushroom someone is talking about they use the Latin name) Fungi is a consequent name for the game AND international. (Beside the game is more about mushrooms but just Morels - just three cards a Morels :-) .)

Those are the thoughts of the editor of the Pegasus Version of Morels (who discussed nearly every detail with the author). Hope they explain our choice and give you some interesting insights.

Best regards

Klaus Ottmaier

Editor Pegasus Spiele

Thank you for the detailed response Klaus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I had no idea about what to expected when I clicked on the link in the hotness list, since I didn't know what a "morel" is. At a quick glance, I saw the name changed to "Fungi" and though "Ah ok, a game about mushrooms". So yeah, I think the change makes sense for a multilanguage market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Where can I buy this new version please? Will there be an english version with the new art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think the Pegasus version is language-independent (all mushroom names are in Latin) and contains English rules. You should be able to get it at one of the British online game sellers. Others on the forum already bought theirs there - try shiregames or boardgameguru, or even amazon.co.uk, or have it shipped from amazon.de.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just ordered a copy from meeples corner.co.uk they are just getting new stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muddy Boots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, Klaus, for the informative reasons on changes to this game.

I understand your decision to rename the game. However, I thought your comment about Morels being an unappealing game title was unfair. I thought it was an excellent name and appreciate why it was chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer "Morels" over "Fungi", but to each their own. It's odd how much this game has changed. Do designers give their permission or do publishers do what they wish? I have no idea how all this works...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Ottmaier
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi,

concerning this game the author/designer Brent Povis did not have the rights of the illustrations for his game. That`s why we needed to do totally new illustrations. And as I wrote above Brent was part of nearly all steps in the process of the new illustrations. And as far as I know - he likes the Pegasus edition very much.

Concerning the title: The German word "Morcheln" does not sound appealing for a game; Morels is just not a good title in Germany or Europe.

But of course everyone to his/her taste.

All the best

Klaus Ottmaier

Editor Pegasus Spiele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah I agree that while "Morels" rolls off the tongue nicely, "Morcheln," not so much

Also, as a biologist I dig the use of the scientific names on the cards, pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alie D
Netherlands
Drenthe
flag msg tools
badge
"We're all mad here!" - The Cheshire Cat in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.
mbmbmbmbmb
Morels has been on my wishlist for quite a while but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a copy at a reasonable price. Yes, there have been a couple of retailers that offered them at a good price but the overseas shipping charges were just too high.

So I'm really happy Pegasus Spiele is selling the game in Europe now!

Oh, and I love the redesign. I'm definitely getting myself a copy of this fun little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiborvadovan wrote:
FWIW, I had no idea about what to expected when I clicked on the link in the hotness list, since I didn't know what a "morel" is. At a quick glance, I saw the name changed to "Fungi" and though "Ah ok, a game about mushrooms". So yeah, I think the change makes sense for a multilanguage market.

I also did not know what a "morel" was. Even for we British English speakers I think Fungi is a much better name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
1000rpm wrote:
I also did not know what a "morel" was. Even for we British English speakers I think Fungi is a much better name.

'Morel' is not a common word in America. Simply 'mushroom' is used. My English wife, a foodie (yes!), of course knew the word, but I did not until this game.

Why not use 'Morels' itself, untranslated, as the German game name, which is ironically rooted in a German word! Too late, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Because virtually no German will know what it means, even less pronounce it (because it is "Morcheln" in German for German mushroom lovers), as compared to many English and American foodies and mushroom pickers? -> although morels is not a common word in English, it is not a word at all in German -> not a good name for a German game from a German publisher, even, or especially if sold all across Europe, where "morels" are equally unknown.

By the way, I have a feeling not knowing how to pronounce something is harder on most Germans than many other nationalities. I guess we are too perfectionist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I wish the original game was just called "Mushrooms".

Also, I wish these two games were broken out into different game pages here on BGG. It will be confusing to speak of these together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.