Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got around to setting up my old copy Loopin’ Louie alongside the newer 2006 German reprint. There have been a quite a few questions about the size of the new edition, so I took a bunch of photos to show the difference. They've been posted to the game entry, but here’s a bit of commentary on each one:

First up, we have a side-by-side view of both games. At first glance, the size difference doesn't seem like much. However, if you look at the center arm that supports Louie, you can see there is a significant difference:

Here's a view that gives a better indication of their relative sizes. Again, focusing on the center support is a good way to see the size difference:

The parts, more or less, are exactly alike, just smaller. Two biggest differences (aside from the graphics) are the center cone (it’s a slightly difference shape) and our man, Louie (who, along with his plane, is significantly smaller):

Here's another view of the previous photo. The original game used 'C' sized batteries, while the newer uses 'AA' batteries. You still need a screwdriver to open the battery compartment.

This is a good view of the center piece and arm, Louie, and one player arm. The graphics for the new plane are a bit drab:

And now a comparison of chicken tokens, those rarest of all game parts. The newer tokens are slightly smaller, maybe a bit more than half a millimeter smaller than the originals. However, they have the same heft and feel as the originals. The bottom token is actually a new token sitting on top of an older one. They are flush at the top, so you can see the entire overlap near the bottom. Here, I have to admit a definite bias toward the older graphics. I love the look of those chickens:

Obviously, I've played both the original and the newer version. Because of the size difference, they do play noticeably different from one another. In the new version, the smaller circumference of Louie's route makes him appear to travel faster than he did the original, although in reality the larger one probably does move faster. While batting Louie around, we often were able to get him into an upside-down position, but he didn't stay this way for long... this is something we rarely saw in the original. The newer edition also seems to lack some of the grace that the original had.

Of course, much of this is completely subjective and I don't claim to have any hard data to back up these statements. I'm also sure that mechanical differences between copies of the same edition can influence how the game plays.

However, I can say that this game is still very fun and considering how difficult it is to find a complete copy of the original, the newer version is completely satisfactory and recommended.

• [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thanks for the comparison and pics. I own the original and considered getting the 'new' edition just for fun since I love the game.

This helps me lots!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It looks like the chicken tokens are almost identical. Have you tried to use the new tokens in the old version? I'm hoping that these new tokens will work in the old version and the new version will be released in the US and I'll be able to get the new tokens to use in my old version and the stars will be aligned... goo

Thanks for the very good comparison, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used the newer tokens in the old version, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work--they're nearly identical.

I'm missing four tokens from my old set and currently use the buttons that are described in other forum postings. You can get them at Walmart and they work quite well as long as you remember to place them in the chute in the correct direction.

I meant to include one of the buttons in my scan, but completely forgot until I had already created the image.

Note, that the image above is a bit deceiving... if you look closely at the bottom of the top-stacked token, the light edge of the token is not really the actual edge... the edge is rounded and is actually a bit further out from what appears to be the edge. Look at the bottom edge of one of the unstacked tokens and you'll see what I'm talking about. Knowing that, you can see the tokens are very close in size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife says you're really sad, but I know otherwise. You are a true Boardgamegeek.

I picked up a brand new version of the original version on Ebay in 2004 for a sensible price. It was advertised on Ebay.de only but the seller would ship elsewhere. So to anyone wanting an original, keep looking as they can be found.

Battlepup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My wife says you're really sad

Tell her I appreciate that she got to know me before making such a harsh judgment about the kind of person I am.

And, honestly, if someone thinks I'm a loser for trying to be helpful to the community, I'd rather not hear about it. I was in a unique position to answer questions that several people had about this game, and I attempted to do so in a very thorough matter.

I'm a software analyst in my real life, and it's a job that requires one to have an obsessiveness when it comes to providing information. I see no need to belittle me in a public forum because of it.

And thank you for the compliment, even if it was delivered with a dash of backhand. If I sound defensive, it's only because I was having a pretty good day until I read your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great review, Kevin, it's very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think you're grossly overreacting. she's married to a guy that ordered a copy from ebay germany. that must mean her comment was a good-natured joke, or that she thinks her own husband is pathetic. which is more likely? and do you think that he would share a comment if he believed its intent to be malicious, and also about one of his own interests? even if the worst is true here, i wish you better days if your "good" ones can be destroyed by a light comment from a stranger, relayed by another stranger. if somebody doesn't enjoy your harmless hobby like you do, it's their loss.

as a loopin' louie fan, i appreciated the time and effort you put into the comparsion. it will help me on a purchasing decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I did overreact. There are reasons, of which I'll not go into...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the article.

Hope things go better for you personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Moros
South Korea
Gwangju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By far the biggest difference is the size of the BOX!!

I own both versions, and have not put them together, I thought the new one was far smaller than the old just judging by the size of the box.

the older box is enormous, i dont know how they managed to half the size of the box...

happy anyway
fer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that old box is just a monster. I finally and did something I never do to my games: I taped the bottom up with packing tape. It was in terrible shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sarnecki
Australia
Melbourne (north)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of the classic version on eBay Oz just a couple of weeks ago. It was part of a package of five different items, with Loopin' Louie not mentioned in the eBay entry title.

The cost for the whole bundle? AUD20 (about USD15) plus shipping.

LL is complete and in perfect working order.

Score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the original edition off eBay for 42 dollars. It's supposed to be new and unwrapped; I'll see when it gets here. For some reason, I just don't feel like buying the new, smaller one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Don't know if you keep track of such things, but as of right now this is the highest rated review for a Children's Game on all of Boardgamegeek with 28 thumbs.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sarnecki
Australia
Melbourne (north)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make that 30 thumbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the difference in the paddles. The new paddles are beveled the old ones are flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch! I never noticed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read your comparison review. Simply fantastic and very insightful.

Thanks for sharing with the BGG community. Cheers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johny uffels
Netherlands
zwolle
flag msg tools
just what I needed to make up my mind to buy the original

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muddy Boots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the comparative review, Kevin. Very helpful and useful. It's made my decision much easier. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sarnecki
Australia
Melbourne (north)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the point of view of playability, I find the Toy Story version (Buzz to the Rescue!) to be the best and most exciting, even though it's in the smaller form factor. That's because Buzz is lighter and more agile than Louie, so his spinning and diving is less predictable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've never played the original version, is the newer edition going to scratch the itch in pretty much the same way? I've heard a lot about this game, and will probably pick up the newer editions currently being sold at Toys R Us... not sure I will bother to track down an older copy unless it's night and day better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a copy from toys r us. Although the game s certainly fun, I'm a little dissapointed on the quality of the components.

Other than the size differences, can anyone comment on any quality differences ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and definitely prefer the newer version. Louie is faster and smoother. He seems to glide more in the original and I prefer the dive bombing pace of the reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls