Subject: Brick & Mortar store near San Jose, CA? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Does anyone have a recommendation for a local store near Capitola or San Jose?
Thanks,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is zx80 a reference to the Sinclair?

One way I will try to generate lists of game stores in strange towns is to go to Days of Wonder and then use the dealer locator. I found two stores I hadn't known about in my own area this way. Of course, you might have better results using the dealer locator from a publisher whose tastes most closely approximate your own. Also, this may not help you find the *real* game stores, as opposed to the Warhammer clubhouses and mall chains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Yes, zx80 is definitely a Sinclair reference :-)

The publisher route is an interesting one, I was just hoping to get some personal experience from BGGs who might have already scoped out the options.
Thanks for the help,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try pinging the south bay gamers email list:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/sb-boardgamers/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Kastle (http://gamekastle.com/) is on Washington, which is just off the north end of Bascom just off 880.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Murphy
United States
California
flag msg tools
D and J Hobby - DJHobby.com - is right near Campbell, if that's near enough for your tastes. They charge full retail but their selection of games is decent and the staff is pretty competent. I've seen Warhammer 40K games in progress and lots of older guys arguing about model railroading, so it seems customer-friendly. The address is 96 San Tomas Aquino Rd, Campbell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends is a good place. There's one at the Vallco shopping mall at Stevens Creek and Miller in Cupertino, and one in the Eastridge shopping mall at 2200 Tully Rd, San Jose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having lived in San Jose most of my life, here are the ones that I can think of. I live out of the area now, so I'd wait for verification on the ones where I've heard they may be closed.

Legends - Locations in Vallco (Decent selection), Oakridge Mall (probably the best of what's out there) and Eastridge (never actually been to this one).

D&J Hobby - Campbell. Good selection, though a bit un-organized.

Game Kastle - Santa Clara (The newest game store as far as I know, but I've never been there).

If you want to travel a bit... (look these up on Google)

Gator Games
San Antonio Hobby Shop - Mountain View (Heard a rumor this was closing/closed)
Gamescape - also in Mountain View I beleive. (Same closing rumor with this one though)
Endgame - Oakland. A truly awesome game store.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
Having lived in San Jose most of my life, here are the ones that I can think of. I live out of the area now, so I'd wait for verification on the ones where I've heard they may be closed.

Legends - Locations in Vallco (Decent selection), Oakridge Mall (probably the best of what's out there) and Eastridge (never actually been to this one).

I meant to say "Oakridge" not "Eastridge" in my own post. Legends is at Oakridge and at Vallco.

Quote:
Gator Games

A good store in San Mateo. http://www.gatorgames.com/

Quote:
San Antonio Hobby Shop - Mountain View (Heard a rumor this was closing/closed)
You heard correctly; it's now closed.

Quote:
Gamescape - also in Mountain View I beleive. (Same closing rumor with this one though)
Also closed. cry This one was a mile from where I work! They still have a store in San Francisco, though.

Quote:
Endgame - Oakland. A truly awesome game store.

Word!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommend GameKastle. Excellent selection, and they have plenty of space for gaming, which is great (they rent a space in the motel-converted-to-professional-building across the parking lot). Friendly service also.

D&J's selection is not quite as good. They do have a little space for miniatures gaming (they seem to have warhammer games on Thursday and/or Friday nights). The service there is pretty good too. Most of the store is crafts, model railroad, and other models, so it's a good place to go if you need crafty stuff also (although GameKastle does have the normal selection of miniature paints and accessories).

Have to also mention that Fanboy Planet (on El Camino and Kiely), which is really a comic-book store) is now stocking a small selection of games, and can order what they don't have (especially Days of Wonder, FFG, WizKids, WotC).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
I can second (or perhaps third) Game Kastle in Santa Clara and Endgame in Oakland. Game Kastle has quite a nice selection of boardgames.

If you've got the time and means to travel ~45 minutes from SJ into Oakland...Endgame is a top notch store. Great selection, very knowledgeable staff, and ample play space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Cool!
Thanks for all the suggestions, they're greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls