Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hoyle
United States
Alfred
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This session takes little of the true history of the battle into account
and simply has a little fun telling the battle roughly as it occurred on our play through. It also plays with the neat fact Socrates was there!

We waited in loose formation, shields at our sides and spears in hand. Hippocrates stood before us and cried out with urging's of bravery and calls for valor. His presence seemed to steady the men closest to his words though the gods had never seen fit to bless upon him the powers of oration. Our line extended for some distance in both directions and little could I see of the cavalry anchoring our flanks. A nervousness hung in the air over our phalanx even as the song of the shield wall called to our desires for glory. As I stood silent and in thought the wait felt endless but all battles begin and without warning we were given the chance to earn our name, Hoplite.

Hippocrates himself was suddenly struck mute and his rousing's died on his tongue as the Boeotians with one voice let out a ferocious yell and descended the hill upon which they had arranged their battle lines. As their tightly packed phalanx's moved toward us our own force tightened into a wall of bronze glinting bright in the morning sun. We lowered our spears in unison and at command moved forward to meet the onslaught. With a horrific crash the lines met and the time for words had passed and only the work of spear and sword was left to us. Grunts and screams of pain lashed out from both sides as men fell and died. With each command we pushed forward together as one, attempting to break their lines. My helmet rang as a sword connected viciously. Through my helmet I saw a flash of wild eyes and beard and a man was sent sprawling away as I jabbed forward at my assailant. The blood was at our feet and around us death reigned, the losses had begun to take a toll and I struggled to to keep hold on the passing of time and whether I was in a skirmish of victory or defeat. I heard Hippocrates once again shout for us to renew our efforts, excited by the possibility of striking down the enemy general Pagondas who had been spotted lurking in the enemy formation. It was the last I saw him alive as he was struck down by spear and sword. Before I could reach his body I was swept away in a tide of men now driven backwards by fear and madness over the red slick ground.

Our line had broken and scattered but not all was lost, our left flank had held back conserving their strength. As the remaining Boeotian forces streamed down the left of the hill to pursue our now shattered lines, several fresh units charged to our rescue and met the pursuers with death and walls of overlapping shields. Having gained distance from the fight in the swirl of retreat I now could see the hill was empty but for a couple small Boeotian units and our horse on the right flank had done well sweeping through the enemies left and had sowed the seeds of chaos in their lines. Our reserve force had struck with such determination and zeal that it split the lead enemy unit asunder and destroyed them utterly. It was then that the blood of battle tipped the scales and the fight was driven from the Boeotians, their line began to waver and without warning it was over, they fled.

I sat upon a rock my face drenched in sweat as fear and adrenaline left my body. From this makeshift seat I watched as the butchers work began, the end of all battles are the same, a desperate pursuit and more death. Tomorrow I would mourn my brothers and my fallen commander but for now I simply thanked the Gods for life. This battle was to be my last, I now saw my knowledge of glory and valor as the hollow roar of a young man and as I gazed over fields of death I saw nothing, only a shadow in my mind.
-Socrates

A shout out to a gracious host,an excellent teacher, and all around cool dude Aaron for bringing this game to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Great write up.
Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up of a hard fought battle.
It was great getting to finally play this F2F. It took on a whole new shape, being able to only worry about only one sides tactics and then being forced to react to yours.

I love how tight and tense things played out until the bitter end. Momentum shifting. But even the loss of Hippocrates wasn't enough to seal your fate, and it came down to a few key, very well made decisions on your part that made the difference.

Those fresh and eager hoplites that you saved from charging up that hill. Right there for you when you needed them the most.

Very excited to have a friend who's ready to fight through more battles and get to know this system with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyle
United States
Alfred
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.