Stan Strickland
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How important is it to you that a game has a solo variant?
It is a must have
I prefer it but it is not a make or break
I don't care
I never play solo
      335 answers
Poll created by Tropitec
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is well done, I'd rather have a solo capable game than one that isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Strickland
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:
If it is well done, I'd rather have a solo capable game than one that isn't.

Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Dowds
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Solo variants are an almost must have for me. I play most things solo, so having an official version already made is a treat I love.

I still buy games that don't have one, but I research them extensively. And usually talk myself out of it.
With solo player games I'm more likely to just grab it at the store and try playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
ekobor wrote:
Solo variants are an almost must have for me. I play most things solo, so having an official version already made is a treat I love.

I still buy games that don't have one, but I research them extensively. And usually talk myself out of it.
With solo player games I'm more likely to just grab it at the store and try playing it.

Myself as well, I'm more likely to purchase something with an official solo version than something without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I don't play solo, except for test-playing when I first get a game to make sure I understand it. Other than that, I've no interest, and any compromise in game structure to allow solo play will turn me off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that support solitaire play tend to catch my eye a lot more than games that don't support it. Some multiplayer games accomplish solitaire play by removing a core part of the multiplayer game. That often ends up feeling unsatisfying and disappointing.

Some multiplier games add a solitaire option in which you are told to simply beat your previous high score. This comes across as a cop-out.

The best solitaire variants try to keep the multip-player feel to the game and give you a specific goal to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot as long as it doesn't feel tacked on, or forced. If it fits the game smoothly, it can be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Ferezin
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like being able to explore and breakdown the mechanics of a game by myself, so it's always a plus to have a solo variant. Which is interesting since I actually favor games that seem to have interesting interactions between players so that I own very few games I can actually play solo (excluding digital versions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it is a deal breaker if it does not have a solitaire variant. My friends will buy games at a faster rate than I ever will. And they have a very low replay rate. If I am buying a game, I want to be able to enjoy it. The only way that is going to happen is if I can play it solitaire.

Otherwise, the general tune of the game is "Wow! That was awesome! Next."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Doerr
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't care for solo variants. Most of the fun with playing board games is (at least for me) the interaction with the other players. If I can't find another player, which is no big deal most of the times since my flat mate is an avid gamer as well, I rather read a book, play a video game or watch a movie.
It may be nice for the first playthrough to get the game mechanics right, but since I do that only occasionally... yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Solo can often be the difference between "I should remember to buy this later" vs "I should pick this up now".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some games, like party games, a solo variant would be impractical, but it's hard for me to get a lot of gamers together for a game, so if your game has a solid solo variant, I might just pick it up sooner because of the options it provides me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall McKenzie
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games feel like they need to have a solo option. Mage Knight is a great example, if it didn't have a solo scenario and rules for soloing some of the co op missions in Lost Legion, I'd feel let down. It's hard for me to pin down exactly what makes me want a solo variant though, I think it's to do with how the fun of Mage Knight does come from interaction, but there's so much fun and interesting stuff in the mechanics too, whereas for, say, a generic worker placement or a deckbuilder, most of the fun comes from figuring out what others are up to and messing them up while also trying to advance yourself and control the pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Strickland
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ekobor wrote:

Thank you Dylan for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your interest. We are developing a game that will have the capability to be multi-player and solo variant. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Strickland
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
ekobor wrote:

Myself as well, I'm more likely to purchase something with an official solo version than something without.

Juan,

We are going to have an official solo version of the game as well as a multi-player version. We are making sure that both are equivalent and follow the same mechanics. We want to make sure both games are challenging and fun to play. Thanks so much for your input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob stencel

mooresville
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use solo play to learn the game myself. Isn't a make or break, but is nice to have feature for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moore
United Kingdom
Buckland Monachorum
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
This is the Spitfire of Geoffrey Wellum DFC, the youngest Battle of Britain pilot. 1921-2018. RIP my friend and blue skies forevermore
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with a lot of the comments here that it is better to have good solo rules, rather than solo rules that are tagged onto a game.
If playing a game solo works in a similar way to how the game would play multiplayer, then that gives a lot of players the chance to play it before jumping into the game with a friend. This makes the first competitive (or co-operative) multiplayer game much smoother.
Great examples of games like this are Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Strickland
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
I don't play solo, except for test-playing when I first get a game to make sure I understand it. Other than that, I've no interest, and any compromise in game structure to allow solo play will turn me off.

Jason,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding solo play. The game we are creating will not have any compromise in game structure or mechanics with the solo variant. Both games will employ the same mechanics. We started with the multi-player game and are creating the solo Thanks again so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I prefer to play my solitaire games by myself and my multiplayer games with others. The two rarely meet. Some games, like co-ops and Mage Knight, are made for more than 1 player but I'll play them solitaire as my preference.

Star Realms is a great exception. Playing the Nemesis Beast is VERY similar to playing a skilled player, without the social element.

I normally don't care about solitaire variants. Either a game is an excellent solitaire game or an excellent 2+ player game. Rarely is a game both. If you manage to surprise me, I'll definitely buy your game. Otherwise, just focus on making a great mp game.

Btw, a good solo variant should be like how Star Realms does it.... very similar to the multiplayer game but without the social component (which I'm fine with). Bohnanza's 2p variant is a terrible example because it's very different from 3+ players. Mage Knight is a good example because the game is similar at all player counts (minus downtime). Agricola is a bad example because the strategy of the player is very different in 1p vs 2+ (although the way the game scales for 2-5 is ingenious and an excellent example of how to modify a game for player count).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Strickland
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
Games that support solitaire play tend to catch my eye a lot more than games that don't support it. Some multiplayer games accomplish solitaire play by removing a core part of the multiplayer game. That often ends up feeling unsatisfying and disappointing.

Some multiplier games add a solitaire option in which you are told to simply beat your previous high score. This comes across as a cop-out.

The best solitaire variants try to keep the multip-player feel to the game and give you a specific goal to beat.

Thanks Albert! We are doing everything we can to keep the multi-player feel to the game. The solo version will give the feeling you are playing against one or more other players. We don't want to remove those mechanics from the game. I know exactly what you are talking about. Our goal is to maintain the main theme of the game without compromising the fun from either version. To do that we started with the multi-player version and derived a solo variant for the game. It is always a challenge but we believe we are headed in the right direction. Thanks again for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Strickland
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
I like it a lot as long as it doesn't feel tacked on, or forced. If it fits the game smoothly, it can be great.

Beau,

I agree 100%! We don't want the game to feel like the solo variant is tacked on. Both games will be equally challenging and fun using the same mechanics and should run very smoothly either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me clarify: I don't mind if an AI "cheats". Take a financial game: A human is smart enough to make $50 on his own. An AI's mechanics are only smart enough to make $25. There is a rule that "if X happens, the AI takes double the cash listed".

That's fine. I still have to figure out how to buy that $45 thing before my opponent does in either case.

Obviously that's a one dimensional example but what it does do is give me the same decision space whether I'm playing flesh and blood or cardboard. Of course, some might bristle at an AI that doesn't play exactly like a human with the same limitations... but if my AI above was playtested to death and it was found that the decisions I face are mathematically similar whether I play a human or AI, then by all means give the AI some performance enhancing drugs.

*edit* Voted "I don't care" because if it's a good solitaire game, I'll buy it for solitaire and if it's a good MP game, I'll buy it for that. Truth is, if a game is equal enjoyment solitaire and multiplayer, I'll probably just play it solitaire. I can then play it as much as I want and how I want. But some games can't do that (games with bluffing, negotiation, etc) and that's what friends are for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Strickland
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ManicProlix wrote:
I like being able to explore and breakdown the mechanics of a game by myself, so it's always a plus to have a solo variant. Which is interesting since I actually favor games that seem to have interesting interactions between players so that I own very few games I can actually play solo (excluding digital versions)

Nicholas,

I think being able to explore mechanics from a solo perspective is always a good thing. Thanks for mentioning that. I know that any game I have played I usually like to review it and the mechanics before playing with others. Our game will enable a solo player to do that and understand the different interactions and strategies that may come up. Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Strickland
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
For me, it is a deal breaker if it does not have a solitaire variant. My friends will buy games at a faster rate than I ever will. And they have a very low replay rate. If I am buying a game, I want to be able to enjoy it. The only way that is going to happen is if I can play it solitaire.

Otherwise, the general tune of the game is "Wow! That was awesome! Next."

Chad it's amazing how many people feel as you do. I am glad I ran the poll because it helped us realize just how much many gamers love the solo variant. We want the solo version to be just as fun and exciting as the mult-player version. We are serious about making sure the game does not sacrifice one version to accommodate the other. Thanks so much for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |