United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Videoball is an abstract, minimalist e-sport game with a strong emphasis on competition and strategy. It is multi-player only. It is kind of a niche product, it does not market itself. But it does make me hopeful for abstracts if it can find an audience, especially coupled with the successes of themed turn-based tactical games in the digital market like Hero Academy and Summoner Wars. Maybe there's still a pocket in the market for a new competitive, themeless strategy game?

I absolutely think there is something to be said for the creator, Tim Rogers's brute force marketing of his game. He has relentlessly promoted his game and has both taken it on tour and invited strangers to play it at house parties, and he streams matches live online. I think there is a great lesson in there too that designers should play up how fun and social fair, non-random competitive games can be- I think a lot of abstract designers have started to believe, themselves, that their games are something other than fun, as the antithesis of "fun" party games, but kids voluntarily joining or starting Chess clubs at their schools probably disagree. Some of my fondest memories are playing competitive games with my homies.

Here is a video re: Videoball: http://youtu.be/d2i5vY-UpcM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anhvu Le
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I just now saw this new Videoball video game. It's amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

IMO: a game like video ball is much easier to market than “our” games because it’s a sports simulation, with all the action that implies. More like foosball or table tennis. A great many more people are open to that kind of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls