Subject: Alabama Game store review - Visions in Montgomery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eric fox
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
I went to Visions in Montgomery today and have this report - it is right next to the Movie Gallery on Burbank off Atlanta Highway. It has a decent selection of Euro style board games, around 100 to choose from but the prices are pretty much MSRP and therefore on the high side.

Examples

Alhambra - $35.00
Anno 1503 - $50.00
Cleopatra - $50.00
Engenious - $35.00

Also, Montgomery has a 10% sales tax I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Alabama Game store update
This is significant in that there are relatively few stores that feature a substantial amount of Euro style games in the entire state of Alabama:

Visions has a new location that gets better traffic but has a smaller gaming space.

Crimson Castle in Tuscaloosa on 15th street has a great selection of the newest titles and some much older classics.

Nord's Games in Birmingham's Galleria Mall has a whole wall or two of Euro games and for a small chain store it has a great selection, although not everything you might want will be there.

Legion has several stores in Birmingham and one features some Euro games, and they give a 20% discount during the first week of a new release.

That's pretty much it for stores in Alabama where you will find Settlers and other euros, as well as Fantasy Flight stuff and other major publishers like Mayfair and Rio Grande.

Feel free to correct this or add to the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only other one I know is Book Mark in Huntsville, AL. Though the selection is sporadic and very slim. However, they do get FFG and Euro stuff. Last week I went by and picked up the Settlers Card Game re-release for $19, about MSRP. They also had Cleopatra, Arkham Horror, the Settlers expansions for both card and board game versions, Manifest Destiny, Under a Lily Banner, Zombies! stuff, Munchkin junk, Quicksand, Citadels expansion...a few other things that escape me right now.

Northern Alabama is really desperate for a good board game shop. Tons of engineers, computer science majors, and thinky types who like cerebral pursuits. We got nothin' here. I have to drive an hour and a half for any sort of REAL "Local" game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moyers
United States
Meridianville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
The only other one I know is Book Mark in Huntsville, AL. Though the selection is sporadic and very slim. However, they do get FFG and Euro stuff. Last week I went by and picked up the Settlers Card Game re-release for $19, about MSRP. They also had Cleopatra, Arkham Horror, the Settlers expansions for both card and board game versions, Manifest Destiny, Under a Lily Banner, Zombies! stuff, Munchkin junk, Quicksand, Citadels expansion...a few other things that escape me right now.

Northern Alabama is really desperate for a good board game shop. Tons of engineers, computer science majors, and thinky types who like cerebral pursuits. We got nothin' here. I have to drive an hour and a half for any sort of REAL "Local" game store.

Don't forget that Book Mark has no problems ordering anything you are looking for and they are always quite friendly. I don't blame them for not keeping an overstock on the shelves. I'm sure that's the exact reason Bookvilla went under.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls