Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
That's two votes for Emperor
mbmbmbmbmb
I am moving to Kansas City for a new job, and I am going this weekend to find a place to live. Anybody want to fill me in on the best game stores in town? boudreaux00 has told me about TableTop Games in Overland Park, which is close to where I will be staying, but since I will be all over the place, any others I should visit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved to KC five years ago from California. I think you'll find it's a great city to live in.

There is another game store on the Missouri side in Raytown I think or close to that. The name slips my mind at the moment. Out in Olathe there's also 31st Century Hobby which is run by some nice folks and there is another store in Lawrence I believe near the KU campus.

I think you will really like Tabletop though. Run by a great gentleman named Phil Kilgore, I play there on Tuesday (historical miniatures) and sometimes Thursday nights (eurogaming). Top notch game store. Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any questions. I know to well the difficulties of moving to a brand new city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nachtrab
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
31st Century Hobby is pretty heavy into the miniatures and CCG scene. Every time I go there half the store is packed with folks painting miniatures, and the other half is full of CCG players. They have a decent selection of board games, but it doesn't compare to what they have at Tabletop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Mind the gap
badge
Space for lease - reasonable rates - inquire within
mb
I don't live in the KC area, but have visited frequently in the last year or two. I can highly recommend Tabletop games as the best store I have found in the area. The store in Raytown, whose name escapes me at the moment, is worth a visit as well. I haven't been to 31st Century.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Tabletop. I've been gaming there every Thursday night for the last several years. It's a good group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Tabletop Games.

The only one I know of in Raytown is Battlezone. It is half comics, the rest GW and CCG.

There is a store in Lee's Summit called Pulp Fiction that is half comics and half gaming. Lots of board/euro games and some minis/paint.

I hear there is a new store 'north of the river', but I have not been there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live out in Olathe, and would concur with the majority. 31st Century is good for miniatures and CCG's, and have a decent selection of board games, but Tabletop is a very nice store, in both selection and layout. I think they would be your best bet, especially since you'll be living in that area and considering what you list as your favorites.

Once you get settled, if you're looking for some players I would be more than willing to swing out to TableTop for a game or two and to welcome you to the area. Good luck with the new job and the move, and welcome to KC.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks alot for the help everybody. I may try and get into the TableTop games tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to K.C.! I live out in Lawrence, but come every other Thursday to play with the Tabletop gang. I agree that it's definitely the best shop for Euros (and playing Euros) in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm moving to KC too in a few weeks! But... we have no idea where we are going to live yet, and no word back from Garmin yet about the job I applied for. Ah well, I'm sure it will all work out. My wife is going out there on the 16th for a grad school placement test and will try to find an apartment we can rent for a month or two while we look for a house. Speaking of that, I don't suppose anyone has a spare room she could stay in for the three nights she's out there? With the big move coming up we're trying to keep our costs down. Is that weird to ask?

Brian, I'm excited to try out some of those ACW wargames you always rave about. We'll have to get together and play once I get down there. Tabletop sounds like a great place, and you can all look forward to seeing our smiling faces there this fall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be there.

chicagometh wrote:
Thanks alot for the help everybody. I may try and get into the TableTop games tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Table Top is the place to go for boardgaming. Phil supports the hobby with open game nights.
I know that Thursdays are great, and every other Thursday you can go and watch Team Goo speed throught the turns in the Formula De circuit. (Chaddyboy... i hope the teflon paint i used is helping)

I also know that there are several gaming groups just waiting to pick up even a reserve member.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Roberts
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulp Fiction in Lee Summit does have open gaming Sunday nights still. Very large sellection of boardgames of all types, heavy stock of Confrontaion and Privateer Press minis. There are not as many pure board gamers anymore but some of us do regularly board game. There is a strong Confrontation contengent and a smattering of Hoards and War Machine. A few of us are playing Axis and Allies mini's pretty regular as well. I like Tabletop, but Thursday (hell any week day) doesn't work for me. Phil (the owner) couldn't be much of a nicer guy and he's very helpful if you are looking for something. Tabletop is the biggest store for sure and has the largest crowd. Being totally up front, I don't like Battlezone much. 31st Century I have been to a couple times. Guy was real nice, but it's a mini gamer store more than anything IMO. Hope to see you around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I should be there.

chicagometh wrote:

You will regret it. All Travis is interested in is Hoity Toity ladders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know which area your moving to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the input. I was there Thursday night for about 20 minutes to check stuff out with my wife. I was quite impressed. We ended up finding a place just north of North Kansas City. But I am sure I will still make the Thursday night meetings at TableTop, if I am invited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But I am sure I will still make the Thursday night meetings at TableTop, if I am invited

No need to be invited; everyone's invited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, any game groups in Northland or Independence looking to pick up an additional steady member with a fairly good game collection (meaning me)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone? Please?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new(ish) store in the northland. I have not been there yet.

Above and Beyond
2314 NW Vivion Road
Kansas City, Missouri, 64150
816-505-1615

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Agree with everything that has been said about Table Top thus far based upon one visit.

I did find a different place down the road aways, mostly Comic Books but some game selection and a space to play.

Big City Comix and Games @ 12317 State Line Rd, KS

The owner didn't have what I was looking for, but he was very nice and made some alternate suggestions without wearing me down about miniatures or other nonsense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Hans
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know this thread is from a while back but I wanted to chime in and say that I just opened a board game store in Mission, KS: Mission: Board Games! Please come check us out, play a game, and take a look around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, will be there this weekend to check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls