Subject: short review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Rapley
United Kingdom
Seer Green
Bucks
flag msg tools
This is a delightful football (soccer)game simulation with simple rules that give an excellent game.

The game is played by 2 people on a rectangular board divided into squares. Imagine a game is in progress. The ball is on one square and the 20 outfield players and 2 goalies occupy other squares. Firstly you roll a 6 sided die. You have a number of options. You can move one of your own players orthogonally the full die roll provided it ends up either in a vacant square or in the square with the ball in it. The player can be moved through other players along the way. If you start your turn with one of your players on top of the ball then you have the option of moving the ball instead of moving one of your own players. The ball also moves the full die roll orthogonally ending up on a vacant square or on one occupied by another player or beyond one of the side lines or goal line. That leaves one common situation regarding player movement – what happens when you move your player the full die roll onto the ball and there is already an opposition player on it. In this case you put your player on one of the adjacent squares and your opponent must move the ball on his next turn. That is essentially the core of the game. There are the usual extra rules needed to deal with kick offs, throw ins, gaol kicks and how goalies work.

As a simulation of football this game lacks a number of features of real football. The ball is often stationary for a few turns while players are repositioned. There are no long diagonal passes and no mazy dribbles. There are no dives and no players demanding that other players get sent off!

However, for a game with such simple rules it does generate a great deal of excitement and conveys the excitement of football really well. Will my attack break down? Will I get a shot in? Can I beat the goalie? Will my defence get back and hold out when he attacks?

As a board game it works superbly. You do need to keep your men positioned so that you can make good use of any die roll and this is tricky to achieve. The balance between strategy and tactics is quite good. This games scores a GOOOAAAAALLLLLL for me!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!

So, I suppose the players can't step on the other player's "Netherlands", either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
great job KEITH

the quintessence of a football(soccer) boardgame
SINCE 1974 A CLASSIC AN ICON

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.