United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

THE RESULTS

When I said I would continue the awards and relaunchedthings back on the 21st of March, I never gave much thought to the interest that our awards would create and I'm sure when Jeroen was the same way when he started the ball rolling at the end of February. And yet here we are, some 2 months later, having made the front page of both Victory Point Games and Dan Verssen Games (DVG) and with the awards having seen over 2,500 votes cast... wow. I'm truly staggered.

I have been really impressed by the input from all of the Guild (and outside it) in helping things run smoothly and promoting the awards. Special thanks must go to
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for the time they took to add so many games to the various nomination threads. Thanks also to all of you who took the time to add suggestions and vote in the polls I set up when initially discussing the awards.

Thanks for all the words/posts and GMs of encouragement I've received over the last few months (too many to mention you all individually- forgive me) as well as the vast sums of (Thanks Jack). It was all really appreciated.

And finally a heartfelt thank you to N/A for your blessing in continuing the awards when real life asserted itself over your geeklife. I hope things lived up to your original vision.

Anyway, these awards aren't about me! Let's get down to business. Ladies and gentlemen, it's gives me enormous pleasure to present to you all-

The 1 Player Gaming Awards 2014- WINNERS!

Best Solitaire Game of 2013
This represents the game that we feel is the best of those released in 2013. A fantastic 549 votes cast in this category alone. Although it looked close for a while in the end one game stood above the others:

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43

Best Solitaire Variant of 2013
This awarded to the best designed solo variant for a game that has no official solitaire variant. An impressive 149 votes cast here and very close up to the very end, however there can be only one:

RUNNING SOLO - an Android: Netrunner variant

Best Solitaire Expansion of 2013
This is awarded to an expansion that either adds an official solitaire variant or a game that was originally playable by one player. Another popular category, it saw 313 votes cast. The winner:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1)

Best Multiplayer Game Played Solitaire of 2013
This award is given to a game that may have been designed to be played for more than one player, but can be played by one player taking the part of more than one player and effectively playing against themselves rather than an AI. This category had a great 240 votes cast and the game that was seen as the best in class is:

Cuba Libre

The Hall of Fame

This has been designed to recognise those BGG Users, game designers and games that we feel have given a long term commitment to solitaire gaming. This may be due to consistent quality of games designed. A game that is seen as a true solitaire classic, or because an individual has created, posted or provided something that has benefited our solitaire community.

The Hall of Fame consists of three areas, and this year, each area has two inductees. However, as this is the first year of the Hall of Fame I felt that we needed to create an Honorary Hall of Fame Inductee into the User category. So our first Hall of Fame inductee is:

Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sure Albert needs no introduction around these parts, but for creating this Guild, the Solitaire Games on Your Tabletop Geeklists and, oh yes, his podcast. I hope you all agree that Albert is a more than deserving first to enter the Hall of Fame.

Hall of Fame- BGG User
A mighty 379 votes cast here and things were very close (and only 1 vote between the two highest entries!) Highest vote went to:

Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb

Marco has filmed and presented many, many video reviews for a lot of solitaire games and is rightfully highly respected for his reviews and game overviews. He is also responsible for me spending more money than I care to reveal here!

Second highest vote (but only just):

Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
]

Someone else who has helped me spend my money. Ricky is another excellent video reviewer/game overviewer and another worthy Hall of Fame inductee.

Hall of Fame- Designer
A fantastic 466 votes cast in this hotly contested category. These two designers were a long way above the other nominations in the category. Highest votes go to:

Dan Verssen
Designer of such modern classics as the 'Leader' SeriesHornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations and Thunderbolt Apache Leader as well as his 'Commander' Series Field Commander: Napoleon and Field Commander: Rommel. Games regularly seen on the Solitaire Games on Your Tabletop geeklists and held in high regard by nearly all solitaire gamers.

Second highest votes and the second game designer to enter the Hall of Fame:

John H. Butterfield
Designer of perennial favourites such as Ambush! and RAF as well as recent releases D-Day at Omaha Beach and redesigning his earlier designs RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940. I think you would be hard pressed to find a solitaire gamer that hasn't heard of at least one of his designs.

Hall of Fame- Game
The second most popular category for votes cast, an incredible 488! The highest votes received was:

Ambush!
Designed by John H. Butterfield and seen as the most immersive solitaire wargame available. For building a narrative and creating a connection to your cardboard avatars it really takes some beating. Just a shame it's out of print!

Second entry to the Hall of Fame for Games is:

B-17: Queen of the Skies
For a game that is at it's simplest, rolling dice and looking up charts, it is surprising the grip the game hold on the gamer. Once again a fantastic game for creating narrative and tension. The success of the design can be seen in it's spiritual successor, and our best game of 2013, The Hunters!

And so all it remains for me to do is offer my hearty CONGRATULATIONS! to all our winners and Hall of Fame inductees. I hope these awards go some way to showing you all how much your hardwork and dedication is appreciated.

(I am going to create geeklists for each of the above categories, when I have done so, I'll update this post with the various links so those of you interested in seeing the full breakdown of each of the category.)

1 Player Guild- 1 Player Gaming Awards 2013: Best Solitaire Game of 2013
1Player Guild- 1 Player Gaming Awards: Best Solitaire Variant of 2013
1 Player Guild- 1 Player Gaming Awards 2014: Best Solitaire Expansion of 2013
1 Player Guild- 1 Player Gaming Awards: Best multiplayer game played solitaire
1 Player Guild- 1 Player Gaming Awards- The Hall of Fame

Until next year! Goodnight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to all the winners! There are some very worthy games and people in here. And regardless of how the votes shook out, you couldn't go wrong playing any of the nominated games or enjoying any of the content or designs from any of the nominated people.

Thanks for all your work on this, too, Phil.

Happy solo gaming, and I'm looking forward to the rest of 2014 to see what amazing solo games we get to vote on NEXT year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done to the winners and well done, Phil. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

Congratulations to the winners!

Thank You for running the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punchy McPunchface
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to all the winners and a massive pat on the back to you for managing it Phil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one, good work on keeping this going.

Have been getting into Cuba Libre the last few days, and I really like the COIN system, it's going to cost me some money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a bunch of great choices.

Edit: Though now, I really want to get my hands on Hunters given its "Game of the Year" status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
joestin wrote:
Edit: Though now, I really want to get my hands on Hunters given its "Game of the Year" status.

That's what prestige will do for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
joestin wrote:

That's what prestige will do for you!

I feel like such a sellout.

I would remind those judging me that I have Silent Victory on the way, though.

Still...

GAME OF THE YEAR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the wargamers came out in force when it came down to the final voting. Based on the results when I voted, I could have sworn Navajo Wars was going to take the crown for best solitaire game! Congrats to the winners, and especially congrats to Albert Hernandez for his well-deserved Hall of Fame recognition. Thanks for all your hard work, Phil!

Suggestion: next year, it might be nice to have a Best Solitaire Print-and-Play category. I know there is the annual Solo Print-and-Play Design Contest, so there might be some redundancy, but I think it would be another cool way to recognize active members of the solitaire gamer community and would complement the variant category nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coins
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done winners! And well done Phil, thanks for all your hard work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gerstbrein
United States
Granby
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I am so smart. S M R T !!!
badge
Be real!
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to echo the sentiment. Great job and congratulations to the winners in the BGG community. And the games of course. Can't forget the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a surprise! I really appreciate been added to this bunch of talented folks. Congratulations to all the winners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Phil and congrats all around. Definitely happy to see Albert up on the list. Thanks to everyone over on the SGoYT for an incredibly interactive year of solo gaming too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
As seen over on the B-17 forums:

The envolope please...

Phil or anyone, correct me if I made any incorrect statements on that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Uthus
Norway
0468 Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to all the winners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
As seen over on the B-17 forums:

The envolope please...

Phil or anyone, correct me if I made any incorrect statements on that thread.

All good there Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A huge congrats to the winners, and an even huger thank you for nominating me. I still feel like the new kid on the BGG solitaire block, so it felt awesome to be nominated and see that there were people who actually voted for me even though I was up against giants . Finally a hugest thank you for all the effort and time spent making these awards happen.

(And yes, "huger" and "hugest" really are words, and no, don't go look them up .)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As seen on the Hunters forums:

And The Winner Is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go Albert! Well earned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joestin wrote:

I wonder if future printings of the Hunters will come with a "1 Player Guild Solitaire Game of the Year" logo on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryphon Tracks wrote:
joestin wrote:

I wonder if future printings of the Hunters will come with a "1 Player Guild Solitaire Game of the Year" logo on the box.

Hey that's a good idea!

I would like to say, though, I am humbled and greatly appreciative of the support the game has received on BGG, the wonderful community it seems to have quickly gathered, and this award. Thank you all, it's been pretty fun, to say the least!

Back to work on my secret project

Greg Smith
Game Designer, "The Hunters"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I was travelling this week and was not able to check my BGG account regularly. Only today have I learned about my inclusion in this hall of fame. THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ALL WHO HAVE VOTED FORT ME, and supported my videos throughout the years!!!

I have not posted new videos lately, as it is complicated to edit them for me right now (I am away from home) but I am actively playing and reviewing, and in June I'll edit and release many videos about my present gaming. And they'll all deal with solitaire games or soloing multiplayer games.

Again, thank you to all for the votes, and for your patience in this hiatus of mine. Your great feedback gives me energy and motivation in my reviewing activities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
So everyone's aware, I created a geeklist to track the winners. If we keep this up, I'll keep it updated year to year.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/174005/1-player-gaming-awa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mb
I want to say that I´m tremendously happy and proud that
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1)
has been chosen as best solitaire expansion!

(For those who don´t know: I was involved in the creation...modest)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.